CAGcast #217: F*cking Adorable

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Lots of hot new releases and topics are discussed, including: Rock Band 3, DJ Hero 2, Fable III Fallout: New Vegas, Kirby's Epic Yarn, the Playstation Phone, the latest game shopping and industry news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]126[/podcast]
Download - 86 minutes, 52MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show, guys.

Wombat -- check out the first episode of the first season of "Life After People" on the History Channel for more info on Hashima Island. They give a pretty creepy tour. They make it sound like no one is allowed on the island due to the crashing waves and crumbling buildings. Also, http://weburbanist.com/category/abandonments/ is a great site for creepy/artsy-looking abandoned places.

Long time listener, new forum member (I hope I'm posting in the right place). I found Wombat's twitter comment to be insightful, because it made me laugh out loud, before I heard he got backlash comments from it.

I thought the tweet was funny. It's called, "Humor" and Wombat has it.

I must say, the shows have been getting much better lately. Great job guys!
Also, I was wondering if any of you had been to both Disney in the US and in Japan, and which one you thought was better.

I agree with Wombat that Resident Evil had HORRIBLE controls. Moving around should not be a constant exercise in frustration.

Oh, and I'd like Shipwreck to post pictures of his loot from Akihabara - please!

Glad to see the CAGCast back after the empty week. I always like the talks you have about Japan, despite how little you may speak about in the show in general. I actually heard that Japanese companies were bringing English into their workspace, so it makes sense that Japan as a whole would have some implementations of English for tourists.

You think there will be a cross-over game where characters from Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising 1 & 2, and Undead Nightmare where they have to get Zombrex or whatever MacGuffin they want to use in that game?

loved the Fallout New Vegas talk, Wombat brought the funny as always. I guess it's no wonder why when looking at the strategy guide, the main quest is about 50 pages, with the Side Quest section being 4 times as large! I can't even do the first side quest perfectly b/c my skills aren't where they need to be :roll:

and I'm with you Cheapy on the NFS Demo. I first tried it on the PS3 and only had the option to be the cop available. It was pretty difficult to ram the car b/c as I would steer into the opposing car, I would almost lose control worse (using the Porsche Boxster pursuit vehicle) Then I got it the next day on the 360 and noticed a race with a normal car popped up. While it was fun, it just wasn't earth shattering, and the control seemed a little off, for being so heavily compared to Burnout and made by the same developers, it did not feel like that at all. I do think the AutoLog is pretty cool and has potential, but games like Blur have already done this, so I don't see why EA is thinking its so revolutionary (?)

I don't know how insightful this is but I've got to defend the PS3. Yes, the updating is ridiculous. Nobody mentioned the garbage web browser either. It tries, but it fails miserably.

Having said that there are some great things about the PS3 that I think put it ahead of the Xbox. First and foremost, the exclusives. Uncharted 2 is arguably the single best game of this generation. God Of War, Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain, Ratchet & Clank, Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet, Killzone, Resistance, and Infamous are just some of the exclusive games already available.

You should also look ahead to next year at the exclusives. What is coming up for Xbox? Gears of War 3 is all that immediately comes to mind.
The PS3 on the other hand will have LBP2, Killzone 3, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian, Twisted Metal, Motorstorm and more.

Aside from the variety of games there are other benefits to the PS3 over the Xbox. There's free online play while Xbox Live not only costs $50 currently but is only going up in price. PS3 also has Blu Ray and a non proprietary, easily upgradeable hard drive which allows you to store video/music/photo files.

Also to me the built in batteries of the PS3 controller are much better than removable batteries. There is a $30 Energizer charging station you can buy which eliminates the need for the USB cables and it works flawlessly. I very highly recommend getting it. There is also one available for Xbox controllers though I haven't tried that.

Anyway, I own an Xbox also and will agree on a few points: There are exceptions, but yes the 360 in general gets the better multi platform versions of games. Also while you pay for Live, it is a better overall experience than PSN. If you are a shooter or sports game fan and like to play with friends online often, the Xbox is a better deal quality wise.

Lastly, we can all agree that the Wii sucks. fuck motion controls.

Welcome back Shipwreck! I think in my week in Japan I too went to Akihabara at least 3 times. I'm not sure if the Gundam event in Shizuoka is still going on, but did you get a chance to see it? I saw it while in Odaiba and it was truly fucking awesome, OH and did you purchase any Hard to Find Imports?

Regarding the Sony PSP Phone rumors, I think there's something there. There is space in the gaming ecosystem for something like it, specially if it runs on Android. If this phone is available with the major carriers and subsidized, has access to regular Android apps and also a custom PSN store with PS1 games and some PSP or PSN games, movie rentals, etc it could be a very hot item.

Hey guys thanks for another awesome podcast you make my long commute to the office a little less painful. Also holy crap about Zynga's value!
Keep up the great work.

Great to have the show back. Another quality episode.

Wombat piqued my interest in that Hashima Island. Looks absolutely creepy. Apparently they just recently re-opened part of the island to tourists and it was the final level of killer7.

And Cheapy, definitely try and make it back to Undead Nightmare. Quite literally some of the best DLC I've ever played. Rockstar's mix of horror and comedy is great throughout. The combination of B-movie horror and the Wild West makes for a super interesting atmosphere and story.

(Also, Ship is still insane for not liking Red Dead Redemption :lol:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't trash the tank controls of the earlier Resident Evils. I felt like the awkward, I think awkward is a better description, added to the horror element, because if shit hits the fan you needed to keep your cool and start to slowly turn your character around to run the other direction.

I was a defender of RE5 right before it came out, but after playing it and then playing the DLC it really is an outdated scheme.

I hope Shipwreck and Cheapy had a fun time together in Tokyo. And I would love to win a copy of Vanquish! Looks awesome

Glad to have a show this week.

Cheapy I only disagree with you on one thing with the PS3- the batteries. While your situation is valid (not playing for a while, dead controller), a rechargeable lithium battery is far superior to me to freaking AA batteries that you have to keep replacing. Everytime I have to replace batteries for Wii/360 controllers it drives me nuts. I have 2 Dualshocks so I just plug the other one in while I'm playing.

Maybe when the batteries die and quit recharging, I will change my tune...

Shipwreck for next show- what did you buy in Japan?

I loved Costume Quest, it is indeed fucking adorable. The game oozes fun and cuteness. I beat it and now my 8-year-old daughter is playing it. Great stuff.

[quote name='teknikalei']I agree with Wombat that Resident Evil had HORRIBLE controls. Moving around should not be a constant exercise in frustration.[/QUOTE]

RE 4 didn't.

Every time Wombat cracks a joke God cries a little... and then kills a kitten. I keed! Good show guys. I wish it wasn't so expensive to travel overseas. I would LOVE to travel. Keep up the good work!

I was afraid Wombat was referring to my Mikami tweet but thank gawd he wasnt. I got the joke. ;)

Great show.

I don't know how insightful it is... but... one wonders if Tokyo has burned to the ground numerous times, yet now they have more advanced toilets does that mean the West could benefit from burning a few cities to the ground and rising from the ashes like a Phoenix (a phoenix who likes a fresh posterior)?

Great show and I really missed it last week.

I really enjoyed the talk between Cheapy and Shipwreck regarding Japan. I would love to hear what Shipwreck bought over there and if there's anything he found super interesting or if research was made on a must buy over there.

Love the Rock Band 3 talk and Cheapy didn't say if he got it on the cheap for that bundle he talked about the week before. Did the company come through? Also a little sad that Wombat gave little input on the Rock Band discussion but what a dis on Cheapy for the pro mode comment. No love Wombat, it's just that Cheapy was really happy with Rock Band and really enjoyed it. You could tell in his voice how excited he is for it. Can't wait to play it myself.

Great show like always and don't forget to review on itunes :)

I enjoyed show... as always. You guys rated the PS3 at 3 (or 4) in terms of your level(s) of satisfaction, and gave a reason why... which is fine... its each of your opinions and I do respect your opinion(s). Is it really the system that's the problem... or is it a matter of your own preference (of xbox 360)? You each raised some legitimate issues with the PS3; However I believe that if those problems were fixed (or never existed) you level(s) of satisfaction wouldn't be any different. [I can ignore the long PS3 update downloads for updates, just like how Cheapy ignored the failure rate of the 360. ]

I give the PS3 a 4.
The main thing that disappoints me with the PS3 is how developers treat the multi-platform games. They develop a game that's up to the 360 standard (of graphics, and sound, etc) and then the port for the PS3 is usually sub par. Its like every multi-platform game on PS3 is an xbox 360 game. I wish that developers would try to get the most out of the PS3 hardware, and if that means a better looking or sounding game, then so be it. In the end, it falls on Sony, because they allowed developers to create sub par software for their platform.

Here's an example:
http://www.vg247.com/2008/04/28/sie...t-of-objects-on-screen-says-ghostbusters-dev/

The PS3 version of ghostbusters turned out to be sub par, and in the article the developer is indicating that basically they were dumbing down the PS3 version for the sake of the 360... which makes me feel that as much as everyone loves the 360..I wonder if it its holding back the overall quality of games (on the PS3)?

That's changed a lot, though. Vanquish lead on the PS3 and is the slightly better version.

But since the PS3 came out 12 months after the 360, its hardware should have been powerful enough to have almost every multiplatform game look better on the PS3, just like almost every multiplaform game in the last generation looked better on the Xbox. Blame Kutaragi for that.

Kinect will bomb.

Wait until xmas, the early adopters, $500 million of marketing and the sheep are done. Then commence detonation.

[quote name='Curufinwe']That's changed a lot, though. Vanquish lead on the PS3 and is the slightly better version.

But since the PS3 came out 12 months after the 360, its hardware should have been powerful enough to have almost every multiplatform game look better on the PS3, just like almost every multiplaform game in the last generation looked better on the Xbox. Blame Kutaragi for that.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about him... he was the dumb ass that got the thing priced at 600 dollars. The ps3 was a 600 dollars system with its main set of games (multiplatform) which came from a 300-400 dollar system.

Insightful Comment:

I spent sometime in Yokosuka and purchased a capsule toy which was a little plastic dog for my wife and only in Japan would they paint a little pink butthole on it.

Keep the CagCasts coming!

First off thanks for a great site and podcast guys. CAG is one of the few sites I get on daily if you miss a day on CAG you can miss some great deals or finds fellow CAG'ers report. I just wanted to mention that for some reason i feel like if Wombat is getting left out on some of these podcast. There allot of talk back and forth between Cheapy D and Shipwreck but Wombat has been MIA. I just think you guys work best when all 3 are in the fight together, Oh also thanks again for the great E3 party at the Broadway Bar it was fun to get to meet all 3 of you guys and get to talk.

360 a 3.

PS3 a 2.

Wii a 4.

I played the Wii the most. Mostly for the NIntendo stuff and much of the time playing with my kids and wife. Played it quite a bit with friends the 1st year or so when WiiSports was the rage. Wii controls are the best. Pointing functionality adds alot to console gameplay. Motion controls when used right are an excellent addition. And you still have what is basically a gamepad - analog stick, dpad and 8 buttons. Best of both worlds. Hands apart is also more comfortable. Wii interface (is) the best. Only customizable interface. Least amount of noise interface. Glad kids can't talk to others online. Don't care to talk to or hear 99% of online gamers myself. Best games for playing people in the same living room as you. I like my Battlefield, but almost never break that out for guests. Quietest, smallest and cheapest console.

360 I bought in July when they finally released a real revision. But only play Battlefield:BC2 on it. Don't care much for other games. No time to get into them or feel like I've played most of them before on the pc with better gameplay and shittier graphics. 360's $50+ annual fee to play online sucks. The dashboard is one big series of advertisements. The Avatars are lame wannabees. No style to them. Only really got a 360 because MS screwed up pcgaming and it got to be too much of a hassle. And Battlefield isn't on the Mac natively. Could care less for achievements. Still like my Battlefield on the 360. Maps are small and player numbers are low, but a bit amazing they've mostly captured that pcgaming experience on a console.

Ps3 I've had in the home a few times, but never kept it around. Almost got it instead of 360 for Battlefield. Part of me wishes I did because no fee to play online and you can use any usb/bt headset afaik. But the 360 gets the better version of multi-platform games. Never had much interest in BR. Too expensive. DVD quality is fine by me. Ps3's software is a bit tedious for me.

Now I will say the Wii was more of a 5 for me early on. And in the last year or so has become more of a 3. The main reason is no one else got on board with Nintendo and started making quality games for it. I just don't think western game makers understood the console. Most are too eye-candy focused. And making the same game that came out last year focused.

Also Nintendo slacked off too much. Nintendo is too afraid to really follow through on some of their ideas. They like to lay the groundwork and then move on and lay some more groundwork for something else. Their system is full of groundwork. Balance board, Channels, WiiSpeak, Motion+, Zapper, WiiConnect, ....Some nice ideas, but where's the follow through? Where's the second really kool game to use the balance board? Where's something that really takes advantage of WiiConnect? Where's another Zapper lightgun game? Why haven't we seen more channels? The photo channel could have had and even sold a few sequels.

OK none of this really surprises me. It's Nintendo. And even with those downfalls I still enjoy playing most of Nintendo's games which is mostly why the Wii comes out ahead of the other two consoles.

bread's done
Back