- - - - -

Have you been spending too much money on games? Here is a good tip!

#61 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

If only there was some other way then having a needle in you, i might have considered it.

#62 pjb16   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1355 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

OP, how long does it take to donate? Like 1 hr, 2 hrs? More?

#63 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

OP, how long does it take to donate? Like 1 hr, 2 hrs? More?

Well... it depends. At BioLife, you have to donate 690ml, 820ml or 880ml depending on your weight.

I donate 690ml (my weight 142lbs)... to me, it takes 10 minutes to do my medical check (levels of protein, iron, blood pressurure, pulse, temperature and answering an electronic questionary).

And about 40 minutes to to donate the 690ml of plasma, but it all depends. If you are a healthy person and if you go well hydrated, you will finish very quickly, but you are going to be minimum 50 minutes there.

The machines are automatic. There are virtually zero risks. Just be sure to be hydrated. That's the best advice I can give you. Your plasma is mostly water so you need to drink enough water. But don't worry. At the end of the donation, they put a saline solution in you, so you can recover the amount of liquid you lost (in my case, they put me 690ml of saline solution at the end of the cycle).

You can take your laptop or smarthphone. BioLife has free WiFi...

I don't have experiencie with Biomat, but they don't allow electronic devices while you are donating. Plus, the questionary with them is not electronic (BioLife uses touchscreen computers). Biomat asks you the questions in person.

The questions are always the same... things like: have you changed your address since your last donation... have you been in jail... have you had sex paying money since your last donation... etc, etc... very rutinary.

#64 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6262 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

The questions are always the same...have you had sex paying money since your last donation...

You don't pay for sex, the sex is a donation. You're simply paying for their time.

The prostitution version of this statement is actually more precise than the Plasma version. Go to the Plasma clinic for an hour asking questions and try to get your money. Cry your heart out on a hooker's lap for an hour and she still gets paid.

#65 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

Did anyone donate plasma after reading this thread?

#66 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

I don't have any problems with needles or getting blood drawn, but I guess subconsciously I do -- because I always get very light headed.

I would do this, but I'd probably pass out.

#67 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

Did anyone donate plasma after reading this thread?

Hell no. As I said above, the only place by me looked like it was filled with junkies and homeless people the last time I stepped foot in there. It also didn't smell too clean, so I'd rather find a part time shit job someplace than risk contracting anything from that shithole center.

#68 sdclippers   The Sinister Kid CAGiversary!   574 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

sdclippers

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:31 AM

I might consider this.

#69 Moltres423   Not easy being meaty CAGiversary!   480 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Moltres423

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

I hear if you sell your plasma you can never receive donations yourself. I'd hate it like hell if something came up and I needed a transfusion and I had to pay out of pocket >_<.

#70 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

I hear if you sell your plasma you can never receive donations yourself. I'd hate it like hell if something came up and I needed a transfusion and I had to pay out of pocket >_<.

That's not true.

#71 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

I was talking to GF about this and she told me she used to do this about 2 years ago when she was a freshman in college. She said i should do it. Thing is i'm a big pussy when it comes to needles and blood and cutting through the skin

#72 Homakruz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   43 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:55 AM

I did it a couple years back. The first check up they did took awhile, they checked me for track marks, tear ducts included.

Other than that every other time was quick and easy.

#73 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:15 AM

Tear Ducts?

#74 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:33 AM

I did it a couple years back. The first check up they did took awhile, they checked me for track marks, tear ducts included.

Other than that every other time was quick and easy.

Damn. At least they're thorough though, as the people getting taken in to sell their plasma at the center I went to that one time were practically on a first name basis with the staff.

It was like 'oh hey so n so, you're back again this week', as the smoke/dirt clouds similar to Pig Pen from Charlie Brown followed them into the donation area.

I wanted to spray myself with a whole can of Lysol after even sitting in one of those chairs.:puke:

#75 hero101   FC3 US Navy CAGiversary!   4078 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:41 AM

Is IAmTheCheapestGamer going to a sperm bank to release his boys for $$$?

#76 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

Is IAmTheCheapestGamer going to a sperm bank to release his boys for $$$?

:lol: No. I was talking about the one plasma place around here, which was downright disgusting.

#77 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

If thats disgusting then imagine the sperm bank.

#78 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

If thats disgusting then imagine the sperm bank.

:puke:

#79 freeorelse   Not in the Sandbox! CAGiversary!   1009 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

freeorelse

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

Our closest Biomat is in a rough part of Birmingham but there is an ABC (State run Liquor store) store right behind it to replenish your fluids. And a Mrs. Winners as well. I'll have to pass on this moneymaker.

#80 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

With all the talk my GF wants to do it just to show me how quick and "painless" it is.

#81 eau   KP-X 00-00-00-00-1 CAGiversary!   7301 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

Seems like a good TIV.

We need a new smiley: Will sell blood for games! LOL

#82 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:49 AM

My GF scheduled an appointment for herself next week. Will report how it goes

#83 sdclippers   The Sinister Kid CAGiversary!   574 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

sdclippers

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Good luck.

#84 mr_burnzz   mr. snrub CAGiversary!   1602 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Pretty good deal but I can see a couple issues with this.
Mainly, the pain involved will vary depending on the person and the size of needle they use. If you have crappy veins, the phlebotomist may Fuck up. They also probably use a big needle (probably 16-18 gauge) and it will hurt. They can't use smaller ones because it won't collect all the different cells.

More on crappy veins, if they find that they can't take it in the inside of your elbow (median cubital vein) or anywhere around there, they are going for your hand. Now this hurts (depending on individual) and to me not worth $60. The vein may blow (damaged) or whatever. So I'd stay away if your veins suck. Best veins are the median cubital and occipital, IMO. Also, if they go for arteries, get ready for some pain. Don't know the difference between veins and arteries? Hopefully the blood guy does.

OP mentioned a saline drip they give you afterwards (seems like they'd take a bit more than a pint). This is just salt water to re hydrate you but to do this they put an IV in you. IVs suck if you aren't in a medical emergency.

It's good money but know all this before going. It's not going to be like stick a needle in you, get the blood, get paid. I can't imagine them letting you leave right away either. I'm sure they would make you stay to monitor you for a couple minutes.

I think the best candidates are people with nice veins so the pain is minimal and the blood draw is fast. Otherwise I'd say not worth the pain and time.

I'd actually be more interested in sperm donation. oh, the shame...

#85 bacun   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   37 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'm fat,can i donate plasma?Thinking of heading down to my local clinic this week.

#86 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

I'm fat,can i donate plasma?Thinking of heading down to my local clinic this week.

Yes, you can, but you will donate more plasma than me, for example.

And if you eat too much greasy and fatty food, the plasma will have a milky appearance and you will not be able to donate again until you become more healthy.

#87 bacun   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   37 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

thanks for the info!Been looking forever for the answer.

#88 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

So what do they do with the plasma exactly?

#89 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:40 AM

So what do they do with the plasma exactly?

TV's!

But seriously...

An important use of plasmapheresis is in the therapy of autoimmune disorders, where the rapid removal of disease-causing autoantibodies from the circulation is required in addition to other medical therapy. It is important to note that plasma exchange therapy in and of itself is useful to temper the disease process, where simultaneous medical and immunosuppressive therapy is required for long-term management. Plasma exchange offers the quickest short-term answer to removing harmful autoantibodies; however, the production of autoantibodies by the immune system must also be suppressed, usually by the use of medications such as prednisone, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine, mycophenolate mofetil, rituximab or a mixture of these.
Other uses are the removal of blood proteins where these are overly abundant and cause hyperviscosity syndrome.
Examples of diseases that can be treated with plasmapheresis:

#90 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

So we just got back. My GF is kinda tired. Took about an hour and a half. They checked every thing, vitals, heart rate, pulse, blood pressure, etc. Took the blood and we waited while they made sure everything was good. Check in hand.