Problem with buyer on ebay

Sulmona

CAGiversary!
I recently sold a wireless Xbox adapter as seen in this auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8175434857&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT

First off, the buyer is now complaining that I sold him a used item as new even though it clearly states in the auction that the shrinkwrap has been removed. The original seal was still on the CD and booklet and the other parts were still in the original packaging. The buyer is also complaining about needing some password for the device and thinks that I should refund their money. I feel that it is not my fault if they do not know how to use the device. I would gladly accept this product back if I could 1) return it to a retail store for an exchange 2) if it was in the original condition that I sent it to the buyer.
I really have no idea how the Xbox adapter works so I told them that I fulfilled my responsibility by delivering a working product and that if they do not know how to use it, it is their problem and to contact microsoft technical support.

Any advice for this situation?

If they paid with a money order or check, you could tell them that the description stated the item was not sealed but new and no refund and the worst that could happen is that they could and probably would leave negative feedback (seeing as how they left unfair negative feedback to another seller already).

If they paid with Paypal, they will probably try a chargeback if you refuse a refund.

You could offer to take it back minus the original shipping cost and they would have to pay to ship it back and charge a 20% restocking fee (or whatever % you want) to make up for it being used so if you resold it, it would be worth less. They may not like that though.

This is why I don't sell non shrinkwrapped open things as new, I call them mint. But really from the picture you posted he's got to be an idiot to not understand what you meant by new. I'd tell him to take a hike.

apparently he is telling me that the main issue is that there is a password on the device, I do not even know if this is possible as I don't have an xbox.

[quote name='Sulmona']I recently sold a wireless Xbox adapter as seen in this auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8175434857&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT

First off, the buyer is now complaining that I sold him a used item as new even though it clearly states in the auction that the shrinkwrap has been removed. The original seal was still on the CD and booklet and the other parts were still in the original packaging. The buyer is also complaining about needing some password for the device and thinks that I should refund their money. I feel that it is not my fault if they do not know how to use the device. I would gladly accept this product back if I could 1) return it to a retail store for an exchange 2) if it was in the original condition that I sent it to the buyer.
I really have no idea how the Xbox adapter works so I told them that I fulfilled my responsibility by delivering a working product and that if they do not know how to use it, it is their problem and to contact microsoft technical support.

Any advice for this situation?[/quote]

some questions the buyer might say if you told them this. If you dont know how it works why did you buy one. If you got one to resell for profit then WHY did you open the box. if you dont know how it works then how do you know that it worked before sending it to me. AND if you knew it was working how do you know it worked if it was new. If you used it to make sure it worked then its USED Not new even if you used it for a second

These are some things the buyer might said so you might want to be ready to counter those

this is why i put NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES on my listings

Ok i bought it without shrinkwrap, if you click the link to my auction the picture shows that everything is in the original packaging. So unless someone really wanted to use this briefly and kept the original packaging (including bubble wraps and twist ties) in immaculate condition, it was new.

Even if there is a password on it, tell him there is this wonderful thing called a password reset button on the back (little pin hole, use a paperclip end) Basically all this device is is a wireless bridge I know I have one and use it, it works great.

[quote name='slidecage'][quote name='Sulmona']I recently sold a wireless Xbox adapter as seen in this auction

Any advice for this situation?[/quote]

some questions the buyer might say if you told them this. If you dont know how it works why did you buy one. If you got one to resell for profit then WHY did you open the box. if you dont know how it works then how do you know that it worked before sending it to me. AND if you knew it was working how do you know it worked if it was new. If you used it to make sure it worked then its USED Not new even if you used it for a second

These are some things the buyer might said so you might want to be ready to counter those

this is why i put NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES on my listings[/quote]

Agreed.. next time you sell an item that you have no idea that works don't open it up. if you did open it up.. DO NOT CALL IT NEW. call it "Like New" or "Opened" or "mint/near mint" .... also type "all items sold AS IS and there are NO EXCHANGE OR REFUNDS" and also note that potential buyers should ask appropriate questions before bidding that way you can say later "read the item descriptions I clearly stated everything" and on chargebacks and ebay disputes they'll tell the person the same thing.

Rob

I have this unit myself, and it works great.

What I don't think the buyer realizes is that he's trying to set it up on a WEP or WAP secured network...that means that any device, be it a computer, or a wireless XBOX adapter, is going to need the network password to be able to connect. He either needs to write down the network password (probably set by the wireless router in this case) and put that in the adapter setup, or disable the security, and the adapter won't ask for that any more.

The nice thing is that once he puts his wirless password in once, he shouldn't ever have to do it again, unless he decides to change it.

Okay I told him about the password reset button, if that does not work then I told him that he probably does not know how to operate the unit, and it is not my responsibility. Thanks for your help guys.

[quote name='Sulmona']Okay I told him about the password reset button, if that does not work then I told him that he probably does not know how to operate the unit, and it is not my responsibility. Thanks for your help guys.[/quote]
I agree that the wireless network he is trying to connecto is probably WEP encrypted, and btw the password reset button my mistake is a button to reset it to default settings, IE connect to any wireless accesspoint.

so u dont think u can actually lock the adapter? i didnt think so either since I do not see why you would even need to do this, i agree that i think he does not know what he is doing.

bread's done
Back