Enslaved:Odyssey to the West $39.98 @ Gamestop.com and B&M

[quote name='pugs1208']Look at the price tracker. It's still ~$60 at multiple places (Best Buy, Walmart, Toys R Us)[/QUOTE]

exactly.

[quote name='pugs1208']Look at the price tracker. It's still ~$60 at multiple places (Best Buy, Walmart, Toys R Us)[/QUOTE]

That is so shocking that companies that take months to adjustment MSRP values would still be selling a game at its default price still within the first week of its announced drop. Unbelievable.

[quote name='averageguy']I know i was planning on getting it but wanted to wait for the price to drop[/QUOTE]

I've always felt this was a $19.99 game and that's why I passed on the Amazon $25 deal. I'll wait for the proverbial $14.98 Target clearance deal.

I was going to put this game off and wait for 19.99 or less, but that $25 amazon sale + me playing the demo the night before = moved its way up in my back log.

would have waited until black friday otherwise, cheers.

[quote name='Rodster']I've always felt this was a $19.99 game and that's why I passed on the Amazon $25 deal. I'll wait for the proverbial $14.98 Target clearance deal.[/QUOTE]

Bit at $25; in addition to wanting to support a new IP, I have a small backlog on my 360 (vs. my incredible backlog on the old-gen consoles) :)

Very much looking forward to this game! Looks amazing.

I played it for like 6 hours straight one day, and I usually don't have marathons like that with games. It's incredibly immersive.

The game glitched on me 3 times in the fist 2 hours play on the PS3. Not sure if I want to continue or just trade it back now.

Just bought this from Amazon to play through and trade back for a profit. Beat it over the course of Friday and Saturday. Took about 7 hours; might take you about 10 if you were going for all the achievements.

In brief, it's a really great game. Terrific voice acting and character facial animations, great storyline, but somewhat of a lackluster, weak ending given the strength of the rest of its parts. Combat and takedowns are very satisfying. Orb collecting isn't as much of nuisance as it is in other games. My only complaint is that the game might get too easy with the amount of power-ups you get.

I think the best way to sum it up is this: it's a mix of Prince of Persia meets Uncharted meets Mirror's Edge. And those are all great games, so you do the math.

Got it for $25 from Amazon and locked in the $31 trade in credit. Down to $20 now. I played the first 5 levels and after watching some movies of even up to level 12, it looks like the play never changes. Can't justify keeping it even w/o beating it by Tuesday.

picked up a couple copies for me and a buddy through amazon warehouse last week for 18 bucks. didnt want to pay more than 20 for the game.

Thanks for the heads up Derrick! I missed the Amazon one, and I've got credit to burn at Gamestop...

This is a really awesome game. There's a lot of love here that should be experienced.
I'm betting many of us have paid more for much less game.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']msrp is 59.99[/QUOTE]

No the MSRP for it is 39.99. Amazon, Best Buy.com, Newegg.com, all have it at that price... Wal-Mart still has it for 59.99 but, well, Wal-Mart's always a little late to the party on video game MSRP drops.

Anyhow, I jumped on it for 17.99 the other day. Cannot wait for it to get here. :)

Edit: Add buy.com to the 39.99 MSRP list.

[quote name='Brian9824']I got it for $25 too. I figuire i can play it, beat it, and then trade it quickly and basically get my money back.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I got the 360 version for $25 and locked in the $31 TIV at the same time. Just finished the game and dropped it in the UPS drop box today.

Some frame rate issue at a few places. Lots of achievements are yet to get (got only 60% in first play-thru at normal). The story is very good but the Epilogue left me a little empty. WTF are they trying to say?!

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Got it for $25 from Amazon and locked in the $31 trade in credit. Down to $20 now. I played the first 5 levels and after watching some movies of even up to level 12, it looks like the play never changes. Can't justify keeping it even w/o beating it by Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

+1. I feel the same way. The game is just the same things over and over. Oh well. It was fun-ish for 5 levels, but I'm not going to keep it and probably not going to pick it up later either to finish it. Off it goes to Amazon tomorrow for $31. Win. Oh, and the story? Video gamers have low standards. It's mind numbingly stupid.

I just played through this on a rental. I thought the ending was pretty good. I don't know how to post spoiler text, so I'll just say that it was very reminiscent of a certain influential '90s sci-fi movie. What was the problem with it? The abruptness and lack of ultimate closure? They were obviously setting up a follow-up, but I thought most of the character threads were resolved adequately. I didn't mind the cliffhanger-ish nature, because it wasn't really a cliffhanger. Just the twist at the end of the first chapter (in a franchise that will never get a sequel). Like Han Solo getting frozen in carbonite.

For the record, I found the gameplay severely repetitive and flawed, but thought the story made it worthwhile.

[quote name='anandxxx']I just played through this on a rental. I thought the ending was pretty good. I don't know how to post spoiler text, so I'll just say that it was very reminiscent of a certain influential '90s sci-fi movie. What was the problem with it? The abruptness and lack of ultimate closure? They were obviously setting up a follow-up, but I thought most of the character threads were resolved adequately. I didn't mind the cliffhanger-ish nature, because it wasn't really a cliffhanger. Just the twist at the end of the first chapter (in a franchise that will never get a sequel). Like Han Solo getting frozen in carbonite.

For the record, I found the gameplay severely repetitive and flawed, but thought the story made it worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing that. I'm waiting on my copy from Amazon (hopefully, will have it over Thanksgiving). My only real concern with the game was its ending. After the WTF endings of PoP and GoW3, I really don't like putting time into games that fail to deliver a closure, especially given I don't have much time to play nowadays to begin with.

Enslaved looked like an awesome game, and I've really wanted to play a Ninja Theory game. Never played Heavenly Sword (I only have a 360 -- got to play and finish GoW3 at a relative's house) so I was excited to get my hands on this.

Looking forward to playing it. I'm glad I could help out a new IP. I tend to throw money against new IPs (did that last gen with Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Katamari, Ghosthunter, Gitaroo Man, etc., etc.). I've been occasionally disappointed (PN03, Legend of Kay, I-Ninja) but the positive experiences easily outweigh those disappointments. I am hopeful Enslaved will deliver.

Next one I want after this: Vanquish :)

The game is not bad, and it is definitely worth the $25.00 many of you paid Amazon.

- No, the combat is not the most evolved, but the game tells a story, and does a decent job of recreating the world it portrays.

- For those complaining about the story, please stop. You've put up with the nonsense of Ninja Gaiden and its 'Volp, the wolf' writing. You've also put up with Bowser stealing Peach *AGAIN*. And countless other utter nonsense, so you either like the story or you don't, but don't knock it for trying to be just a tad bit different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the game from start to finish. The story does really draw you in and make you want to find out more. It's just the epilogue, right after you finished the game, is a little anti-climatic. I was expecting more of a closure to the story.

It's not a GOTY material but still one of the better games this year.

[quote name='eau']I like the game from start to finish. The story does really draw you in and make you want to find out more. It's just the epilogue, right after you finished the game, is a little anti-climatic. I was expecting more of a closure to the story.

It's not a GOTY material but still one of the better games this year.[/QUOTE]

Yep, agree. If they had taken another look (from someone else's perspective) at the Epilogue, they would've come to the conclusion that it was poorly executed, and lots of it unnecessary. e.g. You don't need to make your main character repeat what you just told me through some lengthy and maybe unnecessary cut scenes.

I haven't played this yet, but from what I hear I get the feeling Enslaved is one of those games you either like or are disappointed with based on what you value more: the challenge or the experience. Enslaved doesn't seem to boast a terribly deep combat system, nor is it something the average gamer seems to have much difficulty plowing through. On the other hand, the game received a lot of acclaim for it's story, characters, motion capture, and general atmosphere. To me, that stuff that comprises the experience makes the game worth playing, but I can understand how it might be not be as big a deal to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
im gonna start and finish this within the week hopefully. black ops and hawx2(trade in too) are both distracting me from this tho... i need to get my trade ins quicker so i get this for free and $5 from bestbuy ;)

bread's done
Back