Genesis RPG Star Odyssey (AKA Blue Almanac) to be released by Super Fighter Team

Jack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
177 (100%)
It seems Super Fighter Team is localizing another Sega Genesis RPG. It was released in Japan as Blue Almanac. No release date yet, but I recall Brandon Cobb (President of SFT) saying that it would be released this year. Edit: The official site is now up and it says the game will be released early next year.

Official Site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wOGDnrErWA

Last edited by a moderator:
That game was actually translated back in 92 by Sage's Creation and sent to magazines for review. From what I've read so far, they did a shitty job and it was never released. Somebody had a copy, offered to make it available and backed out, I guess because these guys were going to make their own release.

I really wanted Beggar Prince too, its too bad they're sold out.

starodyssey.jpg

The official site is now up and it looks like it will be released early next year. They also seem to be publishing Nightmare Busters, an unreleased SNES game.

The ROM for Nightmare Busters came out long ago, and it was even officially released on cell phones (as Flynn's Adventure). Does SFT even have to do anything besides manufacture carts for that one? Pretty smart move, hopefully it'll draw enough interest for it to be worth the trouble.

[quote name='dafoomie']The ROM for Nightmare Busters came out long ago, and it was even officially released on cell phones (as Flynn's Adventure). Does SFT even have to do anything besides manufacture carts for that one? Pretty smart move, hopefully it'll draw enough interest for it to be worth the trouble.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they're just taking care of manufacturing and distribution. I read that it's a collaboration between SFT and PGR (Pastgame-rebirth), which appears to be a french gaming forum. It seems like an odd choice to me though. There's already people making repros of that one.

Lots more "info" on their Nightmare Busters release here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149587

I'm suspecting that they didn't have to pay much if anything for the licensing at this point. Brandon has openly talked about his disdain for reproductions and the emulation/ROM scene in the past, and I know of at least a couple places where he's been poking around trying to find out which people have been making repros of this title.

See this thread at NintendoAge: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=41062

It seems like a poor choice to me also, at least in terms of the enthusiast scene (and who else buys these things?), but people will probably eat it up despite its previous availability.

Regardless, I'm more interested in Star Odyssey. I know the enthusiast sites are going to give it a good review no matter what (just look at all the glossing over of the issues with Beggar Prince), but hopefully it'll actually deserve it.

Awesome, another "new" Genesis game! I have Blue Almanac for the Mega Drive but have never been able to play it because, of course, it's in Japanese. It's probably no Pier Solar, but it's better than nothing!

Damn, who'd have thought a Genesis game could still sell for full retail? I understand costs are high but it better be damn good for that price.

bread's done
Back