iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I'm figuring that towards the end of next year, I will have to refer to this as the iOS Devices Sales Thread. By then I think the AppleTV will be able to play games. Either with cloud based storage, or via bluetooth connection to the iPod/iPad/iPhone.

The Macintosh App Store will be an entirely different thread though since it wouldn't apply to as many people.

True ... that would be smart for Apple to expand the user-base for AppleTV by using Touchs and iPhones as controllers for AppleTV-based games. Anyway, I'm happy the threads have merged ... I just wanted the first post to continue the inflammatory vibe of the old thread ;) If anything it's smart to grab ipad and iphone apps that are free or discounted because there's a good chance that they'll be compatible with any future Apple devices, like an improved Apple TV for instance.

It feels weird being in a new thread. Hopefully everyone joins from the old thread. Since this now includes Ipad I hope people clearly mention what device the sale or free game is on.

[quote name='blue ocarina']It may have been mentioned in the old thread, but Game Dev Story dropped from $4 to $3

From all the praise I've been hearing, that's just the little push I needed.[/QUOTE]

Fun game.. Just really short and repetitive, but well worth $3.

[quote name='kryptonic']Fun game.. Just really short and repetitive, but well worth $3.[/QUOTE]

Is it mostly assigning workers to different game development related jobs and hiring new people, or does it have a creative element where you decide what type of game to produce and details about said game? I ask because there used to be this really simple game for my old Mac (Sim Cinema Deluxe or something like that) where you basically were a movie studio and had to choose a director, talent, made a name for you movie and then had to market it over a period of time before and after release. It was an awesome little game and I'm just curious if it has any of that creative aspect to it?

Not a game, but I Am T-Pain is back down to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/i-am-t-pain/id314652382?mt=8)

I don't really care for the app, but I know a lot of people love it. This is also my excuse to post on the first page. Yes, I do feel dirty.

Wispin just came out with a launch sale of $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/wispin/id381527856?mt=8). It's a pretty fun game with a nice style and all that jazz.

"FEATURES

- Totally unique fusion of color-matching gameplay and retro arcade action!

- The innovative "Touch Color Wheel" acts similar to a joystick - slide your thumb around to change colors and Bust Bloopers!

- Stylized cartoon graphics featuring HD Retina display support!

- Two endless gameplay modes, Achievements, statistics tracking, and Game Center leaderboards!

- Wacky weapons (including CHEESE), powerups, bonuses, and an escalating multiplier/combo system that encourages frantic and challenging risk/reward gameplay!

- Customizable game options including joystick and tilt controls!

- Color Blind and left-handed control support!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Great day for sales, so far I've picked up Bejeweled, Zombie Neighborhood, and Game Dev Story with the credit from my $50 iTunes cards purchased from Wal-Mart at $35. I'm actually looking forward to my commute to work;).

I was given a 16GB iPod Touch from a friend of mine after my car was broken into (Zune was snatched). I'm happy to now be apart of the iPod Gaming Community! :p

Now to start spending some money...

Anyone have a few must-have games/apps they feel I can't live without?

Yeah, I mentioned the Game Dev Story drop last night in the old thread. I've been waiting for a drop and although its not a big one, I guess I'll bite. I've heard so many good things about it, I might as well give it a shot.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']I was given a 16GB iPod Touch from a friend of mine after my car was broken into (Zune was snatched). I'm happy to now be apart of the iPod Gaming Community! :p

Now to start spending some money...

Anyone have a few must-have games/apps they feel I can't live without?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your car. I'll try to give you a few ideas to start you off. Now there are other paid games that I own and play occasionally (I've listed a few at the bottom), but these are the ones that I've gotten the most bang for my buck out of.

in no particular order
Paid games:
Angry Birds
Tilt to Live
Osmos
Plants Vs Zombies
Bit Trip Beat
Cut the Rope
Rimelands
Rage HD
Bejeweled 2

Free Games:
Mega Jump
Epic Citadel (not really a game so much as a pretty environmental exploration)
Topple
Cube Runner
Real Racing GTI

Free Apps:
AppShopper (Highly reccomend setting up your wishlist here and you'll get notifications if the price drops)
Giant Bomb
Flixster
1337pwn (If you own a 360. Allows you to see what your friends are currently playing)
Photoshop Express
Google Earth
VLC (if it wasn't taken down yet)
Facebook
Pandora
Meebo (If you use AIM. Supports the landscape keyboard)

Be aware that there are lot of demo's out there. It's a demo if it says "lite" or even sometimes "free" after the title. Examples: "Katamari Lite" or "Hero of Sparta 2 Free"

Here's my "didn't make the list" list. Ones that I like, but wouldn't buy unless you get a good price on them:
Mirror's Edge
Myst
Flight Control
Crayon Physics
Slice it
Monkey Island 1 & 2
Zen Bound
The Incident

[quote name='52club']Great day for sales, so far I've picked up Bejeweled, Zombie Neighborhood, and Game Dev Story with the credit from my $50 iTunes cards purchased from Wal-Mart at $35. I'm actually looking forward to my commute to work;).[/QUOTE]
Let us know what you think about Zombie Neighborhood. I've read good and bad reviews of it, so I'm still on the fence. I know it's only .99 but I've got plenty of other titles vying for my attention, so I'd like to hear what a CAG thinks of it. Thanks!

Hone (or develop) your chess-playing skills with Chess Problems, currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/chess-problems/id312686925?mt=8).
"Test your chess skills with these challenging puzzles created by the greatest composers.
NOTE: Solving chess problems is a great way to increase your chess tactics.

* PUZZLES
Directmates, Helpmates and Selfmates. Over 300 of the most famous and beautiful chess problems from thirteenth century to today. Most of them are miniatures. The game looks like usual chess. You need to checkmate your iPhone in 2 or 3 moves in special positions.

* LEVELS
4 levels of difficulty. If you are new to chess problems, we have special easy, yet beautiful puzzles for you. If you are advanced, we have extremely difficult puzzles.
NOTE: Even easy problems are rather hard. And you don't have 'hint' or 'solve' buttons."

While you have your thinking cap on, you may want to give Nines a try while it's FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nines/id403880701?mt=8#).
"Nines is a game in which players take turns placing dots, nine at a time, centered on the selected dot, on the game board until all empty dots are filled.
Whichever player has the most dots on the board at the end of the game is the winner.
You can overwrite dots, as long as you do not play on the same dot played by the previous player.
For 1-4 players.
You can play against up to 3 AI Players."

While it's not as good as the Walmart deal from last month, A few retailers are dropping the price on iTunes gift cards for Black Friday.

Target $25 iTunes GC for $20
Best Buy $50 iTunes GC for $40
Meijer's Two iTunes $15 Gift Cards for $24

I may pick up one of those $25 cards from Target, though only if I end up wanting to go to Target for something else. Well, there is something else (Xbox 360 4GB Console), but I'm not sure I should really be buying it. :)

Is Game Dev Story universal, the text in the app says so, but there is no plus sign and it does not show up under the iPad apps?

Also, The Incident is on sale for 99 cents, this game is pretty good.

Having tons of problems getting RAGE HD to install, I think I need to upgrade my iPad firmware, but I don't want to do that until 4.2 comes out, which should be real soon.

Phoenix Wright is down to $1.99.

[quote name='prayformojo']Having tons of problems getting RAGE HD to install, I think I need to upgrade my iPad firmware, but I don't want to do that until 4.2 comes out, which should be real soon.[/QUOTE]
The app store lists the iOS requirements as 3.1+, but the description has a note stating 3.2+. I'm also waiting on 4.2 before installing.

I never played Phoenix Wright, I always wanted to pick it up on the DS some time but never did. Is it worth $2.

If it's similar to the DS game then yes it's well worth $2. It is a really lengthy game that is a bit slow and with lots of text but fun regardless. I mean it is basically a text adventure which I happen to still enjoy in this day and age just know it's different from most other games out there today. But if the iOS version is similar to the DS version then definitely pick it up for $2!

[quote name='cgarb84']If it's similar to the DS game then yes it's well worth $2. It is a really lengthy game that is a bit slow and with lots of text but fun regardless. I mean it is basically a text adventure which I happen to still enjoy in this day and age just know it's different from most other games out there today. But if the iOS version is similar to the DS version then definitely pick it up for $2![/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that the iOS version is exactly the same as the DS version.

[quote name='blue ocarina']It may have been mentioned in the old thread, but Game Dev Story dropped from $4 to $3

From all the praise I've been hearing, that's just the little push I needed.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I've been waiting and that's all I needed. Wish it had gone to $2 but this will have to do. Thank you for the tip :)

[quote name='prayformojo']Is Game Dev Story universal, the text in the app says so, but there is no plus sign and it does not show up under the iPad apps?

Also, The Incident is on sale for 99 cents, this game is pretty good.

Having tons of problems getting RAGE HD to install, I think I need to upgrade my iPad firmware, but I don't want to do that until 4.2 comes out, which should be real soon.

Phoenix Wright is down to $1.99.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is. I bought it right before the price drop and I am playing it on my iPad now. Worth $4, so definitely work $3.

Does anyone know of any current or upcoming deals on the iPad? I'm planning on buying one as a Christmas gift and I'm trying to find the best price.

[quote name='etcrane']Is it mostly assigning workers to different game development related jobs and hiring new people, or does it have a creative element where you decide what type of game to produce and details about said game? I ask because there used to be this really simple game for my old Mac (Sim Cinema Deluxe or something like that) where you basically were a movie studio and had to choose a director, talent, made a name for you movie and then had to market it over a period of time before and after release. It was an awesome little game and I'm just curious if it has any of that creative aspect to it?[/QUOTE]

You select your staff (have different ways to choose from to "scout" for new employees), train, level up and each has their own skill to which you'll want to assign them a duty that fits their skill.

You'll develop several different genres of games for several different systems. Genres level up, and at certain points you'll unlock other genres by meeting certain goals.

The game is a LOT of fun and truly does have some replay value to it since every time you start another 20 year career your genres retain their levels that you previously got them to.

Hope this helps!!!

How is the port of Phoenix Wright? I figure that the controls would be fine, since they're touch-screen and menu-driven by nature--it's not like trying to port a platformer to the iPhone, for Pete's sake--but did any features or visual zazz get lost in translation?

[quote name='Cimpy101']While it's not as good as the Walmart deal from last month, A few retailers are dropping the price on iTunes gift cards for Black Friday.

Target $25 iTunes GC for $20
Best Buy $50 iTunes GC for $40
Meijer's Two iTunes $15 Gift Cards for $24[/QUOTE]

If you have a Michael's crafts around, they have the $25's for $20 until 12/4. Picked up 5 myself.

Here's something different: play an iPhone game on your TV with QuiziTV (http://itunes.apple.com/app/quizitv/id395716075?mt=8), currently available for FREE.

"★ Do you want to play on your TV* using Video Motion Detection ★
Do you like Quiz? Enjoy playing with friends and family? Don't feel like using a remote controller?

We are introducing the First iOS game that will change your device into a video game console and you are using motion detection to play! Now you can extend the use of iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4th generation to play on your TV*. Just plug and start playing! It works just fine.

☆ How does it work exactly and why is it unique? ☆

This is kind of unusual! First, it works on a TV, so we are breaking the bounds of the small screen and allow a broader audience to play and see the game. What really makes the difference, we spent a lot of time working on removing the needs for controllers! How? Well, we are using video motion detection and created iRisTouch® which allow you to virtually touch what you see and control the game. As a result, when the party starts there is NO MORE NEEDS TO TOUCH the device."

[quote name='Cimpy101']Sorry to hear about your car. I'll try to give you a few ideas to start you off. Now there are other paid games that I own and play occasionally (I've listed a few at the bottom), but these are the ones that I've gotten the most bang for my buck out of.

in no particular order
Paid games:
Angry Birds
Tilt to Live
Osmos
Plants Vs Zombies
Bit Trip Beat
Cut the Rope
Rimelands
Rage HD
Bejeweled 2

Free Games:
Mega Jump
Epic Citadel (not really a game so much as a pretty environmental exploration)
Topple
Cube Runner
Real Racing GTI

Free Apps:
AppShopper (Highly reccomend setting up your wishlist here and you'll get notifications if the price drops)
Giant Bomb
Flixster
1337pwn
Photoshop Express
Google Earth
VLC (if it wasn't taken down yet)
Facebook
Pandora
Meebo (If you use AIM. Support the landscape keyboard)

Be aware that there are lot of demo's out there. It's a demo if it says "lite" or even sometimes "free" after the title. Examples: "Katamari Lite" or "Hero of Sparta 2 Free"

Here's my "didn't make the list" list. Ones that I like, but wouldn't buy unless you get a good price on them:
Mirror's Edge
Myst
Flight Control
Crayon Physics
Slice it
Monkey Island 1 & 2
Zen Bound
The Incident[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, this really helps. I'll be looking into picking up a few of these titles/apps you listed. :)

[quote name='lilman']Only one I've heard of is TJ Maxx selling the 16gb wifi version for $399:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/18/ipads-fondue-sets-appearing-at-tj-maxx-locations-across-the-cou/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cimpy101']Beat me to it. I don't think you'll find a cheaper price than that.

I pass by one of these stores every week and have never stopped in before. I'd forgotten they exist until now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! I checked and they don't have any, but they told me to check back on Black Friday.

[quote name='mokmoof']How is the port of Phoenix Wright? I figure that the controls would be fine, since they're touch-screen and menu-driven by nature--it's not like trying to port a platformer to the iPhone, for Pete's sake--but did any features or visual zazz get lost in translation?[/QUOTE]
I just bought it and it plays just fine. I've never played the DS version but it seems the same from what I've seen. Pretty interesting game.

[quote name='mightymek']Yea, it actually does look cool. The graphics look really good. I'm gonna download this when I get home to some WiFi.[/QUOTE]

niiice. =]

I don't know what you guys are using as cases, but I bought a Griffin FlexGrip Action for my iPod Touch 4th Gen. It adds a wrist strap and a case that has ridges on the rear so it's more comfortable to play games in landscape view. I used to use the Elan Metal cases but it was too hard swiping side to side since the case was so much higher at the edges.

My only gripe is the screen gets dirty fast. I have a power support 3rd gen screen protector on it. It doesn't fit the 4th gen exactly, but the few millimeters that are not covered by the screen protector, are covered by the case just fine. As it wears I'll probably replace it with a 4th gen protector.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I don't know what you guys are using as cases, but I bought a Griffin FlexGrip Action for my iPod Touch 4th Gen. It adds a wrist strap and a case that has ridges on the rear so it's more comfortable to play games in landscape view. I used to use the Elan Metal cases but it was too hard swiping side to side since the case was so much higher at the edges.

My only gripe is the screen gets dirty fast. I have a power support 3rd gen screen protector on it. It doesn't fit the 4th gen exactly, but the few millimeters that are not covered by the screen protector, are covered by the case just fine. As it wears I'll probably replace it with a 4th gen protector.[/QUOTE]

I am using the switcheasy colors case for my ipod touch 4TH Generation and I love my case but that one looks quite awesome also :D

Already someone has asked for a list of must-have apps, someone else started talking about cases, and someone on my ignore list posted multiple times.
You sure this is a new thread...?

[quote name='ViolentLee']Already someone has asked for a list of must-have apps, someone else started talking about cases, and someone on my ignore list posted multiple times.
You sure this is a new thread...?[/QUOTE]

..and what seems to be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back