Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
This information is taken from the CAG Steam discussion thread. Please visit it to talk about Steam in general and Steam games!

Steam features

• Play from anywhere: Games you buy on Steam are permanently tied to your account. Download them again on other computers! *See DRM bullet point for exceptions
  • DRM: Most Steam games only use Steam's DRM. If a game uses another form (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum), the store page will say 3rd-Party DRM.
  • Play offline: Most Steam games can be played offline. When an internet connection isn't available, choose to start Steam in Offline Mode.
  • Steam Achievements! Many games have exclusive Achievements that you and your friends can keep track of. Get a Steam card graphic for forum signatures here.
  • Steam Cloud! Many games like Torchlight offer Cloud support. Your save file is hosted online and accessible from wherever you play the game, so no need to manually transfer it to other computers. Look for the Steam Cloud
    ico_cloud.gif
    image on a game's store page.
  • Automatic patching: Steam automatically downloads updates for your games whenever they are released. If you'd rather patch manually, click on that game's Properties/Update from the Library menu.
  • Friends list: The Steam friends list is also an instant messenger. Text message friends, voice chat, and easily invite friends to most games. You can also see which friends own the same games as you and compare Achievements from the Library menu.
  • Gifting games! You can buy games and then gift them to other people. Wishlists make this easy; maintain your own and view your friends' lists, too.
  • Incredible sales! There is a sale virtually every weekend, Black Friday, during the holidays, and more.
  • Steam Play: Purchase a game once and play it from both Windows and Mac! Look for the Steamplay icon
    platform_steamplay.png
    on games' store pages.

CAG Steam Groups

By joining a CheapAssGamer Steam group, you'll be able to find CAGs to play with, participate in group events, and more. This is a list of all known CAG groups. If you start a new group, please PM me with details. Note that while most of these groups are public, the private groups require an invite to join.

FAQ

I bought a retail copy of a game.
OR
I bought a game from another downloadable games provider besides Steam.

Can I download it from Steam without rebuying it?

You can do this for some games (especially those whose retail versions automatically use Steam). Most games don't support the feature though. See the full list here.

How do I add non-Steam games to my Steam library? Why would someone want to do that?

From the Library menu, choose Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game. Select the game's executable file and you'll now be able to launch it directly from Steam. This is a good idea for two reasons. One, launching all of your games from the same place is convenient. Two, when you launch a Non-Steam Game from your Steam library, people on your friends list will be able to see what you're playing.

Why is X game more expensive on Steam than other retailers? Is buying from Steam not a good deal?

Steam generally offers games at their current MSRP. That means if Capcom wants to charge $30 for Street Fighter IV, that will be the regular Steam price. Yes, you might find the retail version on clearance at Target for less. But that's clearance, which you can't expect every other retailer to match. However, Steam has tons of sales which usually beat everywhere else's prices.

When are the big Steam sales?

During the big Steam sales, Steam sells multiple games (sometimes hundreds) at large discounts. There is always a sale on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and an extended holiday sale (starting December 24 and lasting until the beginning of January). In 2010 there was also an extended summer sale. If you're not in a hurry to play a game and want the best possible price, it's a good idea to wait for these large sales.

Do all Steam games work with controllers?

Just about all PC games can be controlled with mouse and keyboard. But some people are more comfortable with controllers, AKA gamepads, and some games just play better that way. The Xbox 360 controller is the default gamepad for modern PC games. Many games support it, but not all. Most games with controller support have a Controller Enabled graphic
ico_controller.gif
on their store pages. If a game doesn't have that graphic and doesn't mention controller support in its text description, assume it doesn't work with controllers. There is a partial list here. If you'd like to use a controller with a game that doesn't natively support it, the XPadder app works very well.

Steam deals make me wish i had a gaming PC.. the ridiculous amount of insane deals they do during the holidays and summer blow my mind, can just never save enough to get a gaming PC or keep interest long enough.

however if a nice L4D2 deal pops up ill be sure to snag it, i can run most source based games fine.

[quote name='styl3s']Steam deals make me wish i had a gaming PC.. the ridiculous amount of insane deals they do during the holidays and summer blow my mind, can just never save enough to get a gaming PC or keep interest long enough.[/QUOTE] Same. I remember being jelous of the crazy Steam deals last year.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']At last count, I have at least 15+ games from last year's winter sale I haven't touched yet. Stupid cheap prices.[/QUOTE]
you're like a woman who buys loads of shoes and clothes and shit and then never even wears them... think about that for a second,,, let it sink in ...:applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='loomis1975']Nice work on the thread OP, appreciate the effort.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I have been waiting for someone to take the reigns and make a thread like this.

Expired Summer 2011 Sale
Daily Deals

6/30

7/01

7/04

7/07

7/08

7/09

Expired Give & Get Sale Deals (11/24-11/29/2010
11/29
11/28
11/27
11/26
11/25
11/24

Expired Treasure Hunt Sale Deals (12/06-12/19/2010
12/18-12/19
12/16-12/17
12-14/12-15
12/12-12/13
12/10-12/11
12/08-12/09
12/06-12/07

Holiday Sale tips
  • Many games that are on sale now will be offered at lower prices as daily deals. It's usually a good idea to wait until near the end of the sale, just in case.
  • Even Complete Packs (THQ Complete Pack, etc.) sometimes become daily deals, but not often.
  • Price mistakes occur occasionally. In 2009, The Witcher was initially offered for one day at a lower price before its price raised. This year, the Valve Complete Pack was cheaper for a few hours on December 20. I said earlier that it's best to wait until the end of the sale to purchase non-daily deals, but watch out for those price mistakes!
  • View all Steam games by price - Thanks Blade!

Expired Holiday Sale 2010 Daily Deals

1/02
1/01
12/31
12/30
12/29
12/28
12/27
12/26
12/25
12/24
12/23
12/22
12/21
12/21

Holiday Sale 2010 Highlights (Non-Daily Deals)
These are recommendations from myself and other CAGs.

Holiday Sale 2010 Multi-Game Packs
Indie Packs:
$4.99 5-packs
  • Indie Smarts Pack (Puzzle Dimension, Quantz, Droplitz, Puzzle Agent, Lumines)
  • Indie Kids Pack (Max & the Magic Marker, Crayon Physics, Toki Tori, Delve Deeper, Secret of the Magic Crystals) - EastX recommends this pack!
  • Indie 2D Pack (Super Laser Racer, Geometry Wars, VVVVVV, Bullet Candy, Galcon Fusion)
  • Indie Fright Pack (Burn Zombie Burn, Zombie Driver, The Path, The Void, Scourge Project)
  • Indie Beat Pack (Beat Hazard, Rhythm Zone, Chime, Turba, Bit.Trip Beat) - EastX recommends this pack!
  • Indie Fantasy Pack (NyxQuest, Faerie Solitaire, Spectromancer, Bob Came in Pieces, Fortix)
  • Indie Flight Pack (Flotilla, Gratuitous Space Battles, DogFighter, Guns of Icarus, Everyday Shooter)
  • Indie Future Pack (Hacker Evolution, Uplink, System Protocol One, Twin Sector, Hammerfight)
  • Indie Brain Pack (Zen Bound 2, Diamond Dan, Puzzle Bots, Windosill, Big Brain Wolf)
  • Indie Mix Pack (Plain Sight, Eufloria, Cogs, Darwinia, Defcon)
  • Indie Adventure Pack (Mr. Robot, Jolly Rover, Gish, Samorost 2, And Yet it Moves)
$19.99 8-pack

Holiday Sale 2010 Publisher Catalogs on Sale
Mac Holiday Deals 2010
platform_steamplay.png

Browse all Mac software on Steam (mostly on sale)

[quote name='Archfiend']you're like a woman who buys loads of shoes and clothes and shit and then never even wears them... think about that for a second,,, let it sink in ...:applause::applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

Oh, and you've played every single game you've purchased to a satisfactory point?

Anyway, Cyber Monday is upon us! Sort of... sadly I have no recollection of what time last year the BF/THXGVG deals started. I just know I spent too much money and am working towards playing all of the games.

[quote name='Mafoofoo']Here's hoping to a sale on the Witcher Directors Cut.[/QUOTE]

OH YEAH

I hope so too. I also need Team Fortress 2 and HL2 Ep2, which I think I pretty safe bets for either BF or Holiday.

Civ V would be awesome too.

Come on Steam! My body is ready.

Here's hoping to a sale on Witcher Director's Cut that doesn't increase five minutes after it goes on sale or not match the rest of the Atari sale percentage. (66% off all Atari games* *excluding The Witcher: Director's Cut 5 minutes after the sale starts)

I'm hoping for a sale on FEAR (to help me justify buying it over again but on Steam), Medal of Honor (though I doubt it'll be low enough for me to justify), Crysis (same reason as FEAR), C&C4, SupCom2, K&L1&2, and I'd love a low price on the Claptrap DLC for Borderlands. Because let's face it, Claptraps deserve to be shot. It's what they were meant for.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Here's hoping to a sale on Witcher Director's Cut that doesn't increase five minutes after it goes on sale or not match the rest of the Atari sale percentage. (66% off all Atari games* *excluding The Witcher: Director's Cut 5 minutes after the sale starts)
[/QUOTE]

Heh I remember that, luckily I was able to nab it before it changed back...got it for $6.50 or something.

This year they better have a slew of awesome deals, because I held back from preordering my most wanted game of next year, Witcher 2, so I'd have money for Steam deals. My body is ready etc etc

[quote name='Andrigaar']Oh, and you've played every single game you've purchased to a satisfactory point?

Anyway, Cyber Monday is upon us! Sort of... sadly I have no recollection of what time last year the BF/THXGVG deals started. I just know I spent too much money and am working towards playing all of the games.[/QUOTE]
I have played, beat and am satisfied with what i have accomplished in every single game i have ever bought, some people don't buy game unless they plan on playing/beating them, i don't see a point in buying 15 games you won't play, because they are just cheap?

Great work, East! This will be a nice addition to the main deals page as we won't be getting a new thread every time there's a new steam deal.

[quote name='eastx']Thanks fellas! I won't letcha down. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks again bro! I'm living in Israel now so PC games are all I can play- and I use steam to buy 90% of them.

This will be a great thread I'm sure!

Nice presentation eastx! Although I'd also prefer everything in one thread, I think this will help get the attention of more casual gamers.

I gotta say, I envy people their lack of backlogs, but maybe their surplus of free time, not so much.

[quote name='styl3s']I have played, beat and am satisfied with what i have accomplished in every single game i have ever bought, some people don't buy game unless they plan on playing/beating them, i don't see a point in buying 15 games you won't play, because they are just cheap?[/QUOTE]

It is one thing to buy games with the intention of playing them. It is another to actually have the time to play all of them.

[quote name='syclick']Does anyone recall when the Holiday (and/or Black Friday/Thanksgiving sales) occurred last year?[/QUOTE]

Started on Thanksgiving, lasted until Monday.

hopefully a Just Cause 2 for $10 - $15 appears or the CoD Collection for $30 that occured last summer. if those appear I'm definitely in for something :D

I loves me some steam deals. Too bad I'll probably already have all the good stuff on other platforms...
I can't wait to see what complete catalogs they have this year, those deals are ridiculous.

I also have a handful of games I bought on sale and haven't yet played. My justification for this is that I buy games that I would otherwise want to buy/play while they're super cheap, and play my stockpile of games throughout the year (or until the next awesome sale). This keeps me from having the urge to buy games when they first release because I have a backlog of games I still want to play. I am then able to pick up these new games during the next awesome sale to add to my backlog of awesome (and cheap) games.

In the event I run out of games I haven't played, I maintain a list of games I would love to return to, therefore saving me from needing to buy new games.

Love steam :) Hopefully they don't come out with too many good deals. Gotta save $$$ for a couple of Amazon/Walmart deals. And of course Christmas.

Not gonna turn this into some kind of stupid argument, but I don't recall saying I bought games that I don't intend to play...I just haven't gotten to them yet. Installed Crysis for the first time last night. Buying two other consoles this year spread my gaming time out a lot more, and BFBC2 just sucks ALLLL my PC gaming in.

I am hoping for Aliens vs Predator (2010) for $5 and a cheap deal on Fallout 3 GOTY. Though Steam ALWAYS catches me with surprising markdowns on games I didn't even think about buying before hand. My wallet is getting ready to hurt...

Can't wait for this, I made sure to stash some extra cash aside just for these sales this year. :D last year I was caught a little off guard and had to pass up on a few games I wanted, not this time XD .

I don't recall a big Black Friday sale last year. I only remember the Holiday sale that happened after Christmas through New Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back