getgamesgo - Beyond Good and Evil $4

Need more reviews?! BG&E was one of the BEST games of that year. It's a CRIME it never got more play...

Yeah, definitely a bump. GREAT older game. Own it on both the PC and PS2 because I like it so much. Plan on getting the HD version and (God willing) no. 2 when it's released.

one of my fav of all time. Great example of how stealth should be, if you get caught you can fight your way out, but if your good enough you can be in and out without a peep and it feels rewarding when you do it perfect. Great music, art design, voice overs, character development, and great story..... and a pig..... with fart powered rocket boots.

[quote name='fyrflash1969']haha.. more reviews.. whatever..

Its being released in high def on the consoles soon, probably should just wait for it..[/QUOTE]

That's actually a great suggestion. The PC port of this game was pretty awful, all things considered. I never managed to get all the graphics enhancements running without corruption or slowdown, and it refuses to recognize any of my gamepads.

It is an awesome game, and worth getting, but get the rerelease or one of the other console versions if you have to.

[quote name='fyrflash1969']haha.. more reviews.. whatever..

Its being released in high def on the consoles soon, probably should just wait for it..[/QUOTE]
No, actually, you shouldn't. Judging from the batch of screenshots Ubisoft released of the HD port, it is more or less identical to the PC version, which was more detailed than the console ports.

Course, with the PC version you don't have the comfort of playing on your game console and earning trophies/achievements.

You do, however, have problems with audio sync during cutscenes and one game-killing bug that sometimes requires a save editor to get past a certain point. There's a patch to fix that bug, but it also introduces another bug that again requires a save editor to progress. If you can live with these flaws, that's fine, but I recommend a console version if possible.

I agree. Amazing game. It is a shame not many people played it. To this day I tell my friends to play BG&E and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Just like Ico. Not many people played it. I remember it sitting on Best Buy shelves and kept getting marked down cause no one was buying. Sony really should've pushed that game like they did with SOTC. Hopefully with the release of Ueda's HD port of Ico and SOTC people will finally get to experience Ico. But yeah can't wait for the HD version of BG&E and the sequel.

On a side note: Who else agrees that if Konami releases an HD remastering of Metal Gear Solid on PS3 it should be a trilogy pack that has MGS: Twin Snakes, MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence? I would love to see all three in high-def and play MGS3 with no slow down. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing game but the PC version is totally broken on higher-end systems. You'll probably be fine if you have the right hardware but for me, even with the "fix", the game speed is awful and inconsistent, running at a thousand frames per second in some areas and slowing down to 5 frames in other areas.

Wait for the XBLA/PSN version

[quote name='An J0e'] Great example of how stealth should be, if you get caught you can fight your way out[/QUOTE]

Well, not always. Did you forget the rooms with the camera/guns, where if you were spotted it was an insta-kill? Still, the game was excellent. About the only regret I have was that I bought the game used well under $20. It was worth at least buying new as I feel like rewarding the devs. Of course, I'll rectify that situation by buying the HD remake (and BG&E 2) day one.

I should speak up as someone who played this game on a modern PC (Phenom II, 4 cores, 3.2 ghz; Radeon 4850, Windows 7 64-bit), and experienced none of the glitches being discussed here. I didn't even know there were any fixes or workarounds until I read it in this thread; I didn't need anything like that.

I played the Steam version, this year.

The game does suffer a bit from PC controls, but it's completely playable. The frustration is mostly in the menus, where mouse control is an afterthought. (Hint: just use the arrow keys like you would on a console controller. In game, it just takes a few minutes to get comfortable with the controls.

Having said all that, it's a FANTASTIC game that hold up well in 2010.The graphics are PS2 quality, but my framerates were very high throughout. The story is great, the gameplay is great, and it gets a 10/10 for style. There is a breezy freshness to the game that is just a ton of fun.

The only hitch with this game, and it's the same consideration in 2004 and 2010, is that it's simply not like any other game. It's not a shoot-em-up. It's got stealth elements, but it's not Splinter Cell or Thief. It has a somewhat-open world with quests (objectives?) you can do in different order. but there's no run and gun. You will spend time driving to islands to take photographs of animals, so you can get in-game boosts. If that doesn't sound like fun, then you probably won't like this game in 2004 or 2010.

There is an action sequence near the end that is just breathtaking because when it finally comes, you're used to a much slower pace.

Also, kudos to Bioshock for implementing a camera. It's a total throwback to BG&E.

I'm glad someone wasn't having the aforementioned issues; I do want to grab this game when it's about $2.50 on Steam. Though $4 beats the very-usual $5, I still don't want to pay much for a 6-year old game. (I'm trying to save my cash for later this year.)

Thanks for the info, GCorlett.

As I understand it, the audio sync issues are due to SpeedStepping technology. The game was originally written for consoles, and expects the host system to run at a constant speed. When this is not the case (e.g. laptops with SpeedStep) it confuses the game; the audio plays at a constant rate, but the graphics run at a different speed. When I played it, I was able to bring audio sync to tolerable levels by decreasing the load on the computer, running it at 640x480 or 800x600. A desktop system or a much faster computer may not have these issues.

I'm not sure what causes the other glitch. As originally released, the game had a problem late in the game where a key required to progress was supposed to drop from a compartment, but the key would remain stuck. A patch fixed this, but also introduced another bug that would cause the game to crash to the desktop when you enter the area immediately after that. Apparently this does not happen for everyone, but it happened to me.

These flaws aside, this is still an excellent game that should be played by everyone. The audio sync issues are manageable, especially on newer computers, and the other glitches can be bypassed with a save editor. While I still recommend a console version, you can enjoy the game perfectly fine on the PC as well. One bonus to playing on the PC - there's a special minigame that requires interaction with the BG&E web site to unlock. Last I checked, this unlock was no longer functional. However, you can easily access it with a save editor.

But based on my experience I'm pretty sure it's newer hardware that's the problem, unless there's a newer version of the game, maybe on Steam, that was optimized to run on higher-end hardware because after rebooting the game a hundred times I was only able to get the opening cinematic to sync properly by running it on a single core and using a program that was designed to use up all remaining CPU space.

The opening lighthouse area runs fine with this fix but after you get out on open water everything turns to shit and like I said in the earlier post, the framerate becomes wildly inconsistent, making the game almost unplayable.

They need to hire someone to check their math - 80% off RRP is $3, not $4, but other than that, seems like a good deal. This was a game I was always sad I missed out on. My list of uncompleted sub-$5 PC games is growing a lot faster than it's shrinking :\

bread's done
Back