Chatot used RPG Thread VIII! It's super effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
chatot.png

I started Pokemon Platinum back in March, and I'm still playing it. Back to it full time now, and not far from getting the seventh Gym Badge.

When I looked back at my Pokemon Ruby save recently, I saw that I'd spent over 90 hours playing that game. My total time so far in Platinum is 50+. Hope it won't take another forty to beat it, but I have a pretty good team going at the moment...

(And no, Chatot is not one of my regulars, although s/he's very cute.)

[quote name='blueshinra']Teabagging would make for the most disturbing Pokemon move ever.[/QUOTE]

I would use it every match.

I already am upset the monkey Pokemon don't fling poo.

Mankey uses Crap Crusher! It is super effective.
Evee is blinded!

Nice, thanks for the new thread!

Finishing up Dragon Age (set it aside for almost a year, so restarted. Now I'm back to where I left, the Landsmeet) tonight hopefully. Also halfway through Kingdom Hearts DS. If it wasn't a KH game, I wouldn't bother, but it's just decent enough to get me to finish it (I hope).

Parasite Eve and Tactics Ogre both in February. Holy god.

That's a lot of RPG goodness in one month. We've got those, and then we have that Atlus game (forgot the name).

Now if only Squenix would announce DQ VI!

Still playing Trinity Universe. Ch. 8 I think? Having a hard time beating Violet and Rizelea. Any tips?

I just beat Earthbound YIPPIE!!!! Pretty cool ending, for a SNES game, definitely different. I gamefaqed the last boss trick. Surprisingly he's a cake walk once you know what to do. As a kid I remember seeing my friend playing this a lot trying to beat the last boss. I wonder if he ever found out the trick.

Anyways Earthbound is a 9/10 in my book. I would've liked to see more character interaction. I always imagined Poo & Jeff arguing over physical strength vs science. Maybe Jeff having a secret crush on Paula. I found it odd that the "father" figures seem distant to their kids when this is clearly a game for youth.

If you don't know what to do, though... worst boss battle ever. Worse than FFX's joke of a final boss.

And also, Pray? Seriously? I found that to be the most useless move in the game, and all of a sudden, it's given a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PURPOSE and is the only thing that can be effective against Giygas... well, after the first time or two doesn't work. I am so glad we rarely see shit like this in RPGs anymore.

[quote name='Rodimus']I just beat Earthbound YIPPIE!!!! Pretty cool ending, for a SNES game, definitely different. I gamefaqed the last boss trick. Surprisingly he's a cake walk once you know what to do. As a kid I remember seeing my friend playing this a lot trying to beat the last boss. I wonder if he ever found out the trick.

Anyways Earthbound is a 9/10 in my book. I would've liked to see more character interaction. I always imagined Poo & Jeff arguing over physical strength vs science. Maybe Jeff having a secret crush on Paula. I found it odd that the "father" figures seem distant to their kids when this is clearly a game for youth.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't see what the big deal with this game is. It's a mediocre game as an RPG. The plot is a little different and quirky, but not enough to raise your eyebrows too much.

I got stuck at some part toward the end and just gave up on this game.

[quote name='2DMention']It's a mediocre game as an RPG.[/QUOTE]
Yes, this. I can see why some people would be enamored by it, especially if they played it when they were kids, but it's too intentionally archaic in certain respects (inventory limits in a SNES RPG? WTF, especially with all the food items that can be picked up) and the story pushes the "destined savior" angle way too much, for starters. I'd be hard pressed to call it a classic.

I did like the encounter system though, and was happy to see a variant on it in DQIX.

Earthbound is the second greatest RPG of all time. Mother 3 is the greatest.

[quote name='blueshinra']nventory limits in a SNES RPG? [/QUOTE]

Mother 3 had the exact same inventory system. It really wasn't a big deal after you got a couple party members. It does kind of suck in the beginning when you're alone though.

I just finished Fallout 2 as a way of hyping myself up for New Vegas when I get back to the states. Tremendous game. The last hour or so
Talking to the President through Frank Horrigan's death scene
has become one of my favorite RPG gaming moments. After witnessing the greatness of FO2, I hope New Vegas doesn't disappoint me too much.

Well, like I said, I understand Earthbound's appeal, but I personally didn't like it overall. Hope that's okay :p

Heading up north in a few hours for Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll break with my plan during this trip and start Rune Factory 3 before beating Platinum; we'll see. Might not be online much, so have a good holiday/weekend, all :)

[quote name='blueshinra']Well, like I said, I understand Earthbound's appeal, but I personally didn't like it overall. Hope that's okay :p
[/QUOTE]
Well, it's not! :boxing: :D
Have you ever tried Mother 3? Because you should.

[quote name='aheineken']I just finished Fallout 2 as a way of hyping myself up for New Vegas when I get back to the states. Tremendous game. The last hour or so
Talking to the President through Frank Horrigan's death scene
has become one of my favorite RPG gaming moments. After witnessing the greatness of FO2, I hope New Vegas doesn't disappoint me too much.[/QUOTE]

The Fallout series is one of the few WRPGs that I was able to get into as a kid. I played the first two dozens of times when I was younger, but never managed to beat them until a few years ago. Then Fallout 3 was announced and I had my doubts about the whole thing, but absolutely loved it.
I think New Vegas does the old games justice. There are plenty of references to both Fallout 1 and 2.

[quote name='Rodimus']Would anyone recommend Arc Rise Fantasia? I see it on Gamefly for $17 and was thinking about picking it up.[/QUOTE]

No I got it from Gamefly for a bit. It was shit. Poor voice acting, poor graphics, and poor battle system.

I liked Arc Rise's battle system (although it certainly wasn't great) but that game sucks. I can't believe I played it as long as I did, hoping it would get good.

[quote name='2DMention']I honestly don't see what the big deal with this game is. It's a mediocre game as an RPG. The plot is a little different and quirky, but not enough to raise your eyebrows too much.

I got stuck at some part toward the end and just gave up on this game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blueshinra']Yes, this. I can see why some people would be enamored by it, especially if they played it when they were kids, but it's too intentionally archaic in certain respects (inventory limits in a SNES RPG? WTF, especially with all the food items that can be picked up) and the story pushes the "destined savior" angle way too much, for starters. I'd be hard pressed to call it a classic.

I did like the encounter system though, and was happy to see a variant on it in DQIX.[/QUOTE]
Completely agree. One of those overrated games in which I never saw the appeal.

Picked up Recettear on Steam today and it is an adorable and fun game. I love the humor and the system is so simplistic but enjoyable. Anyone here who doesn't already have it, I recommend picking this game up in the Indie Story Pack for only $5. It is a steal, honestly I would have paid at least $10 just for this game.

I'm on thanksgiving break at home n brought mine psp w/ me to play more Valkyria 2...

dammit!! this game jus keeps in getting even more anime!!

like they introduce the first Valkyrie character and she's like this 12 year old loli with maaad midriff & belly button action going on, and a thirst for blood too!!

and her mentor gots dat cleavage!!

[quote name='depascal22']I went back to Final Fantasy XIII yesterday. It sucks that I feel forced to finish it.[/QUOTE]I ended up enjoying it. Some parts were annoying, but that is the case with every single FF game I play. Still my favorite game all year.

[quote name='2DMention']That's a lot of RPG goodness in one month. We've got those, and then we have that Atlus game (forgot the name).

Now if only Squenix would announce DQ VI!

Still playing Trinity Universe. Ch. 8 I think? Having a hard time beating Violet and Rizelea. Any tips?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm buying both myself.

I'm not that far in Trinity Universe. I'll get back to it sometime.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I don't think I've played a 30+ hour RPG that didn't have its share of annoying segments.[/QUOTE]

Shadow Hearts 2 was bloody fucking awesome and took 70 hrs! I can't really remember a part that annoyed me. (course I am a good 4 years later so fond memories may have wiped away any bad parts)

nooooooooo my PSP battery ran out :cry:

now Im bored and have no games to play :cry:

I bought Recettear from the steam sale... maybe my parents' computer can run it...

Just beat kingdom hearts 358/2days... what a fucking waste of time. Seriously, repetitive as hell and, imho, a largely irrelevant plot in the grand scheme of things. Was gonna dive into birth by sleep next, but I'm kh'd out. Maybe track down a copy of knights in the nightmare on psp...

I'm back, with a shiny new Gym Badge and some new Pokemon in my inventory.
Giratina wasn't too bad, thanks to the Master Ball, but Azelf was a bitch to catch, and Mesprit has been tricky so far, too.

Steam sale's pretty good this year. RPG-wise, finally got Torchlight; also picked up Audiosurf, Tropico 3's expansion pack (already have the original game, but still managed to get the expansion for $7.50), and World of Goo.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Mother 3 had the exact same inventory system.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='ChibiJosh']Have you ever tried Mother 3? Because you should.[/QUOTE]
You're nuts if you think I'm going to play (to say nothing of enjoy) a game that has an inventory system that I already know I hate o_O;

Still chuggin' through Trinity Universe. On Ch. 9. SOmeone said that's a 15-20 hour game, but it seems like I've been playing for longer than that. I think I'm screwing up by not buying synth manuals, because they rarely sell newer better weapons and armor, and I can't make anything better.

I have to say I don't care for having to go into a dungeon to save or equip my characters. Dumb design decision. Every other game lets you save or equip on map/dialogue screens, why can't this game?

[quote name='blueshinra']

You're nuts if you think I'm going to play (to say nothing of enjoy) a game that has an inventory system that I already know I hate o_O;[/QUOTE]
It's ridiculous that an inventory system would destroy the enjoyment of a game. I beat the game for the second time last night, and I rarely used any items because I just used magic to heal, if needed.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It's ridiculous that an inventory system would destroy the enjoyment of a game. I beat the game for the second time last night, and I rarely used any items because I just used magic to heal, if needed.[/QUOTE]
Well, it's not like it was the only thing I didn't like about Earthbound, but it was a major thing. FWIW, I hardly used items in Earthbound myself, but upon coming across things I did want to use/equip, it was annoying finding that my inventory was full of packets of ketchup -_-

Anyway... :p

There wasn't much I disliked about Earthbound but I have to admit the inventory system was a pain in the ass. Buying, selling, and storing stuff was such a chore.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just beat kingdom hearts 358/2days... what a fucking waste of time. Seriously, repetitive as hell and, imho, a largely irrelevant plot in the grand scheme of things. Was gonna dive into birth by sleep next, but I'm kh'd out. Maybe track down a copy of knights in the nightmare on psp...[/QUOTE]

Don't let 358/2 days stop you from playing BBS. Birth By Sleep is completely different in every aspect, and really brings the series back to everything we loved about the originals. I'm currently playing through Ven's storyline and enjoying every minute of it.

[quote name='blueshinra']Well, it's not like it was the only thing I didn't like about Earthbound, but it was a major thing. FWIW, I hardly used items in Earthbound myself, but upon coming across things I did want to use/equip, it was annoying finding that my inventory was full of packets of ketchup -_-

Anyway... :p[/QUOTE]
They fixed the majority of your gameplay issues in Mother 3. Event items (like the pencil eraser) and such now have they're own inventory space so they don't take up individual characters' space. There are any ketchup packets or anything like that. There isn't any menu you have to go through for "talk to" or "check". And, the guy who stores your items doesn't need to be called. He follows you around and shows up pretty regularly and provides his service out of the goodness of his heart, so it's free. They improved the battle system a little by making you able to do combo attacks by hitting the button with the rhythm. Also, probably the greatest story ever written.

All right, I'm done. :D

[quote name='Rodimus']I wish they'd hurry up and localize Tales of Graces F for the PS3 already. I'm hurtin' for a good Tales game.[/QUOTE]

You and me both. Is there even any word that they intend to, or will I have to turn to the fan translation?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just beat kingdom hearts 358/2days... what a fucking waste of time. Seriously, repetitive as hell and, imho, a largely irrelevant plot in the grand scheme of things. Was gonna dive into birth by sleep next, but I'm kh'd out. Maybe track down a copy of knights in the nightmare on psp...[/QUOTE]358/2 Days is by far the worst Kingdom Hearts ever. Don't let it hurt you from playing BBS. After I got BBS and played 358/2 Days, made the game feel even worse and now I definitely cannot play it. BBS is just excellent and exactly like the console KH games, even better in some ways.

IMO, I recommend BBS over Knights of Nightmare for sure. I dunno, could be mean, but I just haven't gotten the concept yet (already started).

As far as I know Namco/Bandai hasn't made any announcements for localizing Graces F. XSeed and Atlus have both shown interest in doing the job for them. Despite it getting good reviews and being an awesome game I don't think Vesperia sold particularly well in the states. Might be the reason why they're holding out.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']358/2 Days is by far the worst Kingdom Hearts ever.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure Re:coded is going to take that title easily
but I'm getting it anyway. I'm a sucker for tag mode

[quote name='pete5883']Pretty sure Re:coded is going to take that title easily
but I'm getting it anyway. I'm a sucker for tag mode
.[/QUOTE]I heard its battle system may be better. I'm hoping because I have it preordered. I'll buy since I'm a KH fanboy who has more KH stuff than most CAGs. ;)

I'm about to start YS: The Oath of Felgan (or whatever its called) this week, despite barely playing YS Seven. Once I travel, plan to put a ton of time into it.

@Rodimus, I went ahead and imported Tales of Graces F (PS3). I really want it to come in English, but kind of doubting it. Well, at least with ToG F, it sticks to the same menu setup every Team Destiny Tales game does, so I can play in JP without much issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']358/2 Days is by far the worst Kingdom Hearts ever. Don't let it hurt you from playing BBS. After I got BBS and played 358/2 Days, made the game feel even worse and now I definitely cannot play it. BBS is just excellent and exactly like the console KH games, even better in some ways.

IMO, I recommend BBS over Knights of Nightmare for sure. I dunno, could be mean, but I just haven't gotten the concept yet (already started).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, pure garbage. If I didn't love KH so much, I wouldn't have been able to make it through. My buddy just picked up BBS, so hopefully I can just borrow his copy soon. I borrowed is KiN for DS... and wtf is this game!? I went through the tutorials and still don't get it. Think I'll pass on tracking down a PSP copy for now.

And in reference to Tales: Please Namco/Bandai? Need more Tales in the US!

The Tales series are always solid games. I've thoroughly enjoyed everyone I played. I never did play Legendia however. Story-wise they might not be the most groundbreaking but the characters are always well developed. And you can't beat that combat system. One of the only JRPGs were I seek out fights for the fun of it. Now I want to play Vesperia.

[quote name='Rodimus']I never did play Legendia however.[/QUOTE]
Legendia is decent, though the character graphics are pretty ugly, and if you do the Character Quests, there's a lot of backtracking through old dungeons (very pretty dungeons, but still!). The battle system's not perfect, but engaging enough. Also, the story and characters are good, and it has an absolutely wonderful soundtrack.

I would like to see Graces F out here too (although I don't have a PS3 :whistle2:(). I wonder how they would handle all of the outside tie-ins, though, like the Code Geass, Vocaloid, and Toro costumes. That could be a licensing nightmare, but many of the tie-ins are DLC to begin with, so maybe they could just not release those here.

I need to play another Tales game. I've messed with most of them but the only ones I ever beat were Tales of Destiny (PS1) and Tales of Vesperia(360). Own quite a few though that never really spent much time with Legendia (PS2), Abyss(PS2), Symphonia(GC), Symphonia 2(Wii), World(PSP), and Phantasia(GBA)

Only played Vesperia. Liked it, but got stuck and there wasn't an FAQ when I had it so I sold it. Bought it again, and will play it eventually.

I rented Kingdom Hearts 2 from Gamefly years ago, didn't really care for it, and couldn't figure out one of the first boss battles, so I took it back, and never played it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back