Xbox 360 250GB hard drives

Achilles00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I bought one of the 4GB models today with the intention of finding a 250GB hard drive to add on. I looked on eBay and there are a few sellers whose listings for supposedly new hard drives are ending right around $50, which seems really low.

Here's one such link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-250GB-Hard-...ps=63&clkid=5240625280387620560#ht_3373wt_907

My question is, has anyone here bought from one of these sellers? Is the hard drive the real thing, and if it's not, does it even matter? The sellers have high feedback, but they're located in Hong Kong or China. In the past, that's been a sure way to get counterfeit CDs or video games (DS, GBA, etc.).

Please advise. Thank you.

I'm not sure about that, but I too bought a 4GB model, and my friend had a red ring of death xbox that had a 20GB hard drive with it. He let me have it, and I used some Torx screwdrivers to take out the actual sata hard drive inside and you can carefully put it in your slim xbox and it works great. There's lots of videos on youtube on how to do it, I was a bit nervous about it, but I haven't had a problem with it, and it's been getting me through quite nicely until I need to maybe... get a USB drive or something.

Happy hunting

Also, does anyone know if I actually need a transfer kit to get all of my data from my old 360 to the new one? Can I just use a flash drive? Thanks.

if you got lots of gamestop gift cards or credit look at gamestop for one

[quote name='starmask2k3']if you got lots of gamestop gift cards or credit look at gamestop for one[/QUOTE]

That's what I might do. I have a $30 off coupon, plus I'm going to trade in my old Xbox with the old controller for $83. Seems like a burn not to get more, but that's how it goes with electronics these days. $83 in trade and $30 in coupon only leaves me with about $20 to pay for the new drive. I just don't feel secure getting a drive from eBay.

Do external hard drives for computers work because flash drives work?

I also have a 60 gb Xbox 360, but it gets too hot when I play, causing the room to get extremely hot where I start busting a sweat. i was going to get a fan, but don't trust 3rd parties.

in the same boat here, purchased a 4gb 360 with the cod black ops game. I previously had a 60gb and sold it over a year ago, and just now starting to play some video games again and probably get netflix as well. Seems fairly simple to install an old hdd into the new one.

Yes :) The actual HDD is the same size (2.5" i think?) in the old and new slim casing. There are videos on youtube showing how to get an old drive into the new casing.

And yes, an external HDD will work via USB, but remember that the maximum the Xbox will allow to be used is 16GB. So kind of a waste to use a USB HDD only to get 16gb :(

well i did some research on them and it seems the best way to upgrade the slims is to buy a laptop hard drive and mod it to have the xbox firmware. it seems fairly easy to do as long as you get the correct programs. just look up how to hack a hard drive for xbox 360 and you should be able to find what you need, plus the laptop hard drives are alot cheaper than buying one from microsoft. like 500 gigs was less than $100 or something. and yeah you can use more than 250 with them just fyi

tempted to either buy one off amazon for around 120 or so, possibly find a coupon code or something. Or just buy the casing which was posted above and an old 60gb or 120 hdd. Anyway I will eventually need one.

Yes that could happen, wasn't able to buy yet, paypal account needed updating. Its only 44 so not a lost. May just bite and buy a 250gb at microcenter at $135 with taxes.

[quote name='osugsxr']Yes that could happen, wasn't able to buy yet, paypal account needed updating. Its only 44 so not a lost. May just bite and buy a 250gb at microcenter at $135 with taxes.[/QUOTE]

It's $129 on Amazon. I don't know, maybe I'm a noob, but I'm hesitant to get something as major as a hard drive off-brand. Think I'll use my gamestop credit and trade in my old 360 to put towards a new, official hard drive.

If you have an old 360 hard drive, you could just crack open the case and use that on the new model.

Unless you really need 250GB, Gamestop has the used 120GB model on sale for $59, which isn't bad.

[quote name='Achilles00']Also, does anyone know if I actually need a transfer kit to get all of my data from my old 360 to the new one? Can I just use a flash drive? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You can just use a flash drive. That is what I did with my old Xbox when I bought a new 360S. Some stuff will not carry over though I noticed. (Some of my Mass Effect stuff did not carry over). But other then that, it works just fine.

[quote name='enforcer2003']If you have an old 360 hard drive, you could just crack open the case and use that on the new model.

Unless you really need 250GB, Gamestop has the used 120GB model on sale for $59, which isn't bad.[/QUOTE]

But you'd have to crack open the case and put it into another case, right?

Also, if you use only a flash drive to transfer files, will it interfere with your ability to get achievements or anything like that? I'm hoping to avoid having to purchase a transfer kit.

[quote name='Achilles00']But you'd have to crack open the case and put it into another case, right?

Also, if you use only a flash drive to transfer files, will it interfere with your ability to get achievements or anything like that? I'm hoping to avoid having to purchase a transfer kit.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to put it in another case. You just crack open your old hard drive, and it will fit (loosely) into the 360S hard drive slot. Like someone else said, there are multiple youtube videos of it if you are curious.

No it will not. It is a fairly easy process. Just transfer everything to the flash drive and then to your Xbox and you should be fine.

[quote name='Blackjack13']You don't need to put it in another case. You just crack open your old hard drive, and it will fit (loosely) into the 360S hard drive slot. Like someone else said, there are multiple youtube videos of it if you are curious.

No it will not. It is a fairly easy process. Just transfer everything to the flash drive and then to your Xbox and you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

That is what I dont like, itll fit loosely into the slot. The 4gb slot doesnt come with a hdd case to pull out like the 250gb. Casing on dealextreme is only $10 or so. Buy a 60gb on craigslist, $40, or the 120gb at gamestop at $59.99. Dealextreme 120gb in casing already $44. Not sure what to do, wait for new casings to come localy? and purchase the 120gb at gamestop, or buy allow it to sit in loosely and wait from dealextreme.

[quote name='osugsxr']has anyone installed a old hdd into slim with out casing? How has it been holding up?[/QUOTE]

I just installed it and it is fine. It fits quite snugly in it but a little bit of support from a shim wouldnt hurt

[quote name='moop2001']I just installed it and it is fine. It fits quite snugly in it but a little bit of support from a shim wouldnt hurt[/QUOTE]

I may go ahead and purchase a 120gb from gamestop for $59.99 or try to find one on craigslist, and just support it with something. Most likely will purchase a case for it as well, depending on how it holds up, it wont be moved around at all really.

[quote name='osugsxr']I may go ahead and purchase a 120gb from gamestop for $59.99 or try to find one on craigslist, and just support it with something. Most likely will purchase a case for it as well, depending on how it holds up, it wont be moved around at all really.[/QUOTE]

I was happy with the way this worked out because I've never needed more than my original 20gig. It will prompt you to migrate your Xbox Live account when you turn it on for the first time. After I did that I plugged the drive into the port after a bit of fidgeting around and it instantly recognized it. All my saves and everything were all ready to go. It's too bad Microsoft didn't include a drive encasement for situations just like that.

bread's done
Back