Return an item to Amazon without paying for shipping?

s4258

CAG Veteran
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I ordered a game through Amazon and wanna return it (I found a better deal) without having to pay the shipping costs to send it back to them. I can't refuse the package because the game is boxed with 3 other gamers I bought that I want to keep Is there anyway I can do this? And if I can't how much will they deduct for return shipping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon.com --> "Help" --> "Returns and Refunds"

How do I return an item shipped by Amazon.com?

Visit our Online Returns Center to get a mailing label to return your item. NOTE: Return shipping may be deducted from the amount of your refund if the reason for your return is not the result of Amazon error.

Buyers Remorse most likely does not fall under Amazon error.

Well, you could say its damaged I suppose, but I've just been sending them back with my own postage as cheaply as possible, typically in a used re-sealed envelope. I think the postage is usually under $2.

I'm not sure, but I think it tells you before you confirm the return. A year ago or so I paid $8 for return shipping on a $60 pair of headphones. But that was UPS Shipping. You may be able to get by cheaper going via USPS.

I returned a game to Amazon through USPS before. It took maybe 2-3 to ship which was worth it since I returned it due to a $13 price difference that they wouldn't adjust me for. Amazon and your crazy sales.

Just checked if I return thru Amazon the only option is UPS and costs about $5...guess I'll just mail it with USPS it will probably be cheaper. Just wondering how could I say an unopened video game is damaged? lol

[quote name='s4258']Just checked if I return thru Amazon the only option is UPS and costs about $5...guess I'll just mail it with USPS it will probably be cheaper. Just wondering how could I say an unopened video game is damaged? lol[/QUOTE]

Well, right... I guess you just say you heard it rattling or something... I suppose they could call you on it and then charge you whatever they're quoting as their shipping costs (usually much more than you'd pay through USPS), but I suppose that's the risk you take if you go with the shady route.

Again, I don't condone this.. Any returns I send back I've been using my own postage and reusing an envelope that they used to send something to me. I just did this with Assassin's Creed: BH, as I bought the game originally for full price and $15 promo, then they put it up for a few bucks cheaper with the $15 promo AND in the Buy 1 Get 1 40% deal... I just snapped it up again with another game (DJ Hero 2), and returned the game under the first order... Amazingly, I even used the $15 promo from the original order toward the new order (which was an unexpected and unintended benefit). With all the savings it was certainly worth the $1.80 or whatever to send it back.

I wouldn't do this, but as noted you can cheat the system and hopefully not get caught by saying the item was damaged.

That being said, if it is just a game in a jewel case you can probably send that back for a dollar, two at most ,so I don't see the reason to quibble over it if it is just 1-2 bucks for a jewel case to be sent back.

bread's done
Back