Dogs

nasum

CAGiversary!
There's got to be a bunch of us with dogs so this seems like a decent topic.

My lab has a terrible case of the itchies right now. I know it isn't bugs or fleas so I'm guessing that it's just really dry up here in MN and with all the carpet in the house it's even worse for her. I've heard that Fish Oils are fantastic against this kind of problem but I don't know if I can give her the same ones for people or if the dog specific kind are necessary.

My dog had the same problem with dry and itchy skin. I don't think that there is a "dog specific" type of fish oil, but the regular bottled ones work just great. Just make sure that there isn't any extra flavoring in the one you get like lemon or orange, I did and had to really mix it in with the dog food so she would eat it.

Try getting two large pieces of bread. Put them in a v shape. Put your dog in between the two pieces of bread. Add ketchup, mustard, and/or relish (or anything you want really). Open mouth. Insert dog, bread, and any toppings you added to the top of your dog into your open mouth. Close mouth. Chew. Swallow. No more problems with the itchies!
VGM out...

The other night I sat down to dinner and my dog got in the chair next to me like this:

23367075.jpg

"oh hai foods"

Fish oils may work, but not all dogs like 'em. Try switching it's food for something different, too.

We have a Shih-Tzu mix we got from the SPCA back in September or so. He's only a year and 10 months old and just a ball of energy.:shock::whistle2:#

We had to take him to an emergency vet soon after getting him because he had 'kennel cough'(aka a 'doggie cold') from being in the same kennel with another dog with it. While there we asked why he's constantly itching himself.

We were told our dog has allergies and that's why he has the 'itchies'. Furthermore, we were told we could give him half a Benadryl to stop said itching.

It does help for our dog, but you may wanna consult your vet first.

However Benadryl tends to taste pretty nasty on it's own, so if the dog is not wanting to take it you can try giving it to them with a bit of peanut butter.:D

I haz Puppy...

He bites me hard and harder...I have scratches, bruises and scars...

I love him so...

68777_1608118610079_1449614938_1582897_7501662_n.jpg

74180_1625774371462_1449614938_1613918_3883935_n.jpg

73990_1625778091555_1449614938_1613927_7134994_n.jpg

76836_1640973431429_1449614938_1647738_948290_n.jpg

148497_1640973951442_1449614938_1647742_2206064_n.jpg

i want a german shepherd.

german-shepherd-dog.jpg

:(

But i heard dogs need a backyard or so to move around so i think i will be getting a cat instead.
But..Cats are selfish bastards

:(

This guy was turned in at a dog rescue I help. They were overbooked so I fostered and started training waiting for someone to adopt him. But damn he really grew on me and I just couldn't part with this one. This guy is so easy going and eager to please all people he meets. I got him in August and he's around 11 months old now.

This is the condition he was in when he arrived. Not terrible, but not good by any stretch.
servoaug1620101.jpg

This is Servo now. Much healthier and living a great life that includes going to work with me each day.
servodec0320101.jpg

So in addition to my lab I'm thinking of maybe fostering another dog as well. I just fear that I'll end up being a dog hoarder with a dozen dogs in the 70-120lb range that will eventually overtake my house.

[quote name='TC']This guy was turned in at a dog rescue I help. They were overbooked so I fostered and started training waiting for someone to adopt him. But damn he really grew on me and I just couldn't part with this one. This guy is so easy going and eager to please all people he meets. I got him in August and he's around 11 months old now.

This is the condition he was in when he arrived. Not terrible, but not good by any stretch.
servoaug1620101.jpg

This is Servo now. Much healthier and living a great life that includes going to work with me each day.
servodec0320101.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes. This is the type/size of dog I would like. What breed is that?

Not all dogs need a back yard, but it would be preferable. Heck, you can have a german shepherd with an apartment, but be ready to take them on a lot of walks to get rid of their energy.

You can use fish oil meant for humans as long as you choose the correct dosage. I suggest consulting your vet.

wow, that was quick. In the span of four days I've gone from pondering fostering to possibly getting my first temporary dog tonight (as long as it gets along with my dog). That's almost scary. I figured the process would take quite some time.

[quote name='powercreep']Yes. This is the type/size of dog I would like. What breed is that?[/QUOTE]

He's a mutt. Most likely Pitt/Boxer/Lab mix at least that's what my vet thinks. He's now 70.lbs of goofey fun.

[quote name='nasum']wow, that was quick. In the span of four days I've gone from pondering fostering to possibly getting my first temporary dog tonight (as long as it gets along with my dog). That's almost scary. I figured the process would take quite some time.[/QUOTE]

Applause!!! You're doing a great thing. Just be patient. The dogs I've fostered usually take anywhere from 36 hours to 10 days to settle in and relax. Try not to show the dog too much love at the start. Make the dog earn it and in the long run things will go easier for everyone.

Below is Servo with his current foster sister. Her under bite makes for some funny pictures.

Take your dog to the vet to confirm the cause of the itchies... chances are it's something simple, but it might be something more weird. As our dog got older, he got itchier and itchier. He'd get a prescription, be OK, and get itchy again as soon as it ran out. Turns out, he's having a reaction to the oil his skin produces. In other words, my dog is literally allergic to himself. We gave up on the pills (most of them were steroid-based, which is dangerous when taken on a long term basis) and just make sure to bather him often to keep the amount of oil down. He's really pretty happy, all things considered.

I've got two soft coated wheaten terriers. They're pretty good. I'd rather just have one though--either one would be a better dog without the other around.

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this foster gig.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17971762
This is the dog that I have right now, but my lab mix is not a fan. She hasn't outright attacked yet, but it's very tense at times. As of right now I think I'm an idiot for attempting this and it isn't fair to Merriam to be stuck with such an asshole of another dog. It's weird since my dog is 95% cool with other dogs (only hates the little yelp bastards since she got attacked by one as a pup in the shelter, or so they tell me) and even after reading all sorts of info on how to introduce dogs this just isn't going well. Then again it hasn't even been a full day yet so perhaps I'm just jumping the gun.

Ive got a dumb mutt. Pitt/Chow/Shepard/deer/greyhound/whatever
His name is Chaac and he is the best dog ever, hands down.
Will kick the shit out of Lasie.
Poeple who hate dogs love Chaac, he is quiet, loving and will get growly when a stranger gets loud.

Also he likes to kill the squirrels in the yard who try to fuck with him. He now knows where to hide to pounce them. BUT he is great with small mammals indoors. Had a good friend house bunny and guinea pig who would sleep next to/on him all the time.

Sorry guys best dog.
But I am taking pre-orders on clones, will come in 4 sizes, small (chow), medium (shepard), large (st bernard) and as a special bonus ex-large (horse sized, pure awesome lol)

[quote name='nasum']I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this foster gig.
This is the dog that I have right now, but my lab mix is not a fan. She hasn't outright attacked yet, but it's very tense at times. As of right now I think I'm an idiot for attempting this and it isn't fair to Merriam to be stuck with such an asshole of another dog. It's weird since my dog is 95% cool with other dogs (only hates the little yelp bastards since she got attacked by one as a pup in the shelter, or so they tell me) and even after reading all sorts of info on how to introduce dogs this just isn't going well. Then again it hasn't even been a full day yet so perhaps I'm just jumping the gun.[/QUOTE]

See your PMs.

[quote name='TC']See your PMs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll definitely keep you in mind!

Last night was better. I've created an airlock of sorts with gates at the top and bottom of the stairs (split level type entryway) so there's less chance of fights. I put foster puppy out on the tieout and just walk my dog around on the leash to get her to accept that there's another dog around. The slightest hint of a growl and it's time for another lap.
I also put on the rollerblades last night to take my dog out for about half an hour and make her so tired that she didn't even have a chance to be snotty. That seemed to help a bit as well.
I just feel really bad that the foster pup ends up in the kennel for so long because I can't have them both out at the same time. Then again, the difference between last night and two nights ago was enormous so maybe by this weekend all will be well. Of course there's an adoption event on Sunday so perhaps she'll end up in a permanent home and I'll have to start over with another dog...

I've got a Beagle at home who also has some itching problems. One spot on each of her sides, just before her back legs -- she chews the *hell* out of those spots. She's bald there now from chewing and licking, with small red bumps (which I believe to be a result of the chewing, not the cause). Vets have no idea what the problem is -- they gave me a skin and coat conditioning spray, but it only seems to deter her until the bad taste gets wiped away. The only upside is her legs go nuts if you scratch those spots for her :lol:

[quote name='nasum']Thanks, I'll definitely keep you in mind!

Last night was better. I've created an airlock of sorts with gates at the top and bottom of the stairs (split level type entryway) so there's less chance of fights. I put foster puppy out on the tieout and just walk my dog around on the leash to get her to accept that there's another dog around. The slightest hint of a growl and it's time for another lap.
I also put on the rollerblades last night to take my dog out for about half an hour and make her so tired that she didn't even have a chance to be snotty. That seemed to help a bit as well.
I just feel really bad that the foster pup ends up in the kennel for so long because I can't have them both out at the same time. Then again, the difference between last night and two nights ago was enormous so maybe by this weekend all will be well. Of course there's an adoption event on Sunday so perhaps she'll end up in a permanent home and I'll have to start over with another dog...[/QUOTE]

Things are getting better so that's a good sign. If possible see if you can get another adult and do another intro away from your home. You with your dog and someone calm on the new dog. When things settle down go for a walk together. It sounds like you've done a good job of not letting things escalate. Stay on top of that for sure. The instant your dog shows behavior you don't want make a correction and do your best to make her focus on you. Use a leave it command or whatever you've taught. Also great call on the rollerblade exercise.

As you continue fostering don't be afraid to tell them the type dog your comfortable working with. You may want to stick with submissive type males.

Getting better as we go on, at least they can be on the same floor of the house without trying to eat each other.
I took the foster pup to my first adoption event yesterday. Apparently before she had a handler/foster she was just left in a makeshift kennel and being a hyper puppy she would just jump to try and get out and make a ruckus. Now she had me around and just sat up against my leg and took a nap in my lap for awhile. I know she had at least one adoption application done so I sold her potential very well!

Still very stressful and driving me insane since I don't have much down time anymore.

Used to have Golden Retriever. She was great. There are rumors my family might be getting a dog soon. Probably a different breed though cause they live in the city now.

I let both dogs sleep with me last night, surprisingly there weren't any problems. Maybe they just understand that it isn't a place for bouncing on each other.

[quote name='nasum']There's got to be a bunch of us with dogs so this seems like a decent topic.

My lab has a terrible case of the itchies right now. I know it isn't bugs or fleas so I'm guessing that it's just really dry up here in MN and with all the carpet in the house it's even worse for her. I've heard that Fish Oils are fantastic against this kind of problem but I don't know if I can give her the same ones for people or if the dog specific kind are necessary.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it could be dermatitis. I have a Black Lab Great Dane mix. He had dermatitis due to an allergic reaction to topical flea medication. My vet gave me some flea medications he takes by mouth.

mh8207.jpg

Jake at about 8 months

Alright, foster pup is officially driving me insane. She's regressing for whatever reason, as in no longer interested in basic obedience and un-potty trained herself. I had them introduced well enough that they could hang out together and I quit putting foster pup in the kennel over night. I just take water away at 8pm, give them a last outside trip around 9:30pm and wake up around 5-5:30am. Four straight nights of this were fine but there was a mess this morning and I found a hidden one another part of the house on the way to get the cleaning stuff.

I think I just don't have the ability to deal with two dogs. Maybe when I have a live-in GF or a wife I can do it, but it's so damn hard just by myself. Perhaps if I had an adult dog that was a bit more mellow it would help too...

I used to have a Golden Retriever with similar skin issues and the vet told me she was allergic to grass.

As for puppies, I just adopted my 13 week old Gypsy about 2 weeks ago. She's a Border Collie/Lab mix and is great. If a bit crazy and still learning house training.

I have a seven-years-old Rat Terrier and she is a great dog. The only problem is I can never get a second one because she doesn't get along with any other dogs. We rescued her from a pound and I think she had a hard run there. SHe is very smart and has never bitten me or my kids, even though my son probbaly deserved one a few times.

[quote name='nasum']I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this foster gig.
This is the dog that I have right now, but my lab mix is not a fan. She hasn't outright attacked yet, but it's very tense at times. As of right now I think I'm an idiot for attempting this and it isn't fair to Merriam to be stuck with such an asshole of another dog. It's weird since my dog is 95% cool with other dogs (only hates the little yelp bastards since she got attacked by one as a pup in the shelter, or so they tell me) and even after reading all sorts of info on how to introduce dogs this just isn't going well. Then again it hasn't even been a full day yet so perhaps I'm just jumping the gun.[/QUOTE]

Classic shelter move. That friend, is a pit. Trust me I've worked in a shelter for four + years. We try to avoid putting pit down for the dogs but that's what you got. A generic pit mix. Despite what everyone in rainbows and cookies land wants to say, pits are very often bad dogs when they grow up in shelters. If you aren't on top of them they become dangerous. If you get on them early they can be great dogs.

@slickkilll77 Here come the rainbows and cookies: I'd have to imagine any dog growing up in shelters will be riddled with problems. Yet, most aren't strong as pits and pit mixes. Also, how much of your opinion is influenced by the much high numbers of pits remaining for longer durations than other breeds?

@nasum Sounds like your dog and the one you're fostering have yet to establish rank. Maybe try to do it for them. Feed the foster dog after you feed your dog, ect.

Things have gotten better since then. They wrestle together but foster pup is a bit more bite-y than I'd like her to be. Basic obedience is coming along nicely and they tolerate each other enough that I can have them both sleep in the bedroom with me without fights.

Still though, having two dogs is WAY more difficult than I thought it would be.

bread's done
Back