Gamestop Codes $10 codes from ordering games May/June 2010 are expiring now

rj11248

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I have just contacted gamestop over the $10 off future purchase codes that were give out around May/June of this year. These codes were received from ordering games such as New Super Mario Bros.

Here is a link to CheapyD's original post about these http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261656

My original emails from gamestop stated these expire in April of 2013, but magically they all expired this morning. Even thought the expiration date on gamestop says they expire on 12/31/2010 now.
After contacting them by phone they gave me new code but guess what they expire in March of 2011 not April of 2013. So if you have any of these codes please check them. I am working on getting codes with more time before expiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
These codes were a huge clusterfuck. I had a couple of $10 coupons that were only giving me 10% off. Emailing Gamestop, they told me to use them and I would be reimbursed, but I just don't believe them and don't want the hassle.

I've got 3 $10 coupons and 1 $20 coupon, none of them are expired yet, but they all magically have an expiration date of 12/31/2010 now.

As if I needed another reason to hate Gamestop, now they're changing the terms of their coupon offers...

[quote name='rj11248']Mine all said 12/31/2010 also but they are already expired when you try to use them.[/QUOTE]

Same here, none of my $10 codes work, but my $20 code from SMG2 does work.

On the phone waiting to talk to Gamestop customer service right now. I doubt things will end well.

FYI, I was told to place my orders without using the coupons, then call back in to customer service to get my orders adjusted to include $10 off. Don't know if this means that I might be able to buy MS points cards, which wasn't allowed with the coupons, but I might give it a try.

Thanks for the information.

I have two $10.00 coupons but only one works. It still has a 2012 expiration date on it.

However, my other one should be valid through 2013 but mysteriously now expires at the end of the month. The worse part is that it does not work.

Are they forcing us to use our coupons or something?

I still have one $10 off coupon from ordering Red Dead Redemption from their site. It comes up as $10 off, but doesn't take anything off. Originally it was coming up as 10% off(like others have said).

I believe many of these coupon codes originally had some typo in the expiration date and I think it was something along the line of the year being like 20012 or something. So maybe when 'fixing' that error in their system they borked something else?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I believe many of these coupon codes originally had some typo in the expiration date and I think it was something along the line of the year being like 20012 or something. So maybe when 'fixing' that error in their system they borked something else?[/QUOTE]

I think the typo was 20013, however, that had been fixed a while ago. And some of the coupons never had a typo, but those also expire on 12/31/10 now. I think Gamestop is just trying to screw people... I know, big surprise, huh?

[quote name='BingoBrown']I think the typo was 20013, however, that had been fixed a while ago. And some of the coupons never had a typo, but those also expire on 12/31/10 now. I think Gamestop is just trying to screw people... I know, big surprise, huh?[/QUOTE]
Not a big surprise to me. I'm actually contemplating just giving away my $10 code since I have no more credit left at GS and they don't sell anything I'd even remotely want(maybe some $5 Real Triggers for the Best Buy Rocketfish controllers I picked up a while ago) that would be right around that amount.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not a big surprise to me. I'm actually contemplating just giving away my $10 code since I have no more credit left at GS and they don't sell anything I'd even remotely want(maybe some $5 Real Triggers for the Best Buy Rocketfish controllers I picked up a while ago) that would be right around that amount.[/QUOTE]

I would love to take it off of your hands :applause:

I have a $25 GC that someone got me, and I would love to stack it with one of those!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I would love to take it off of your hands :applause:

I have a $25 GC that someone got me, and I would love to stack it with one of those![/QUOTE]
Since when have I been known to just give something away? :razz: I was thinking more of a trade of something of equal value.;)

no wonder my $10 coupon wasn't working earlier today.

dam, i have a bunch of these and not sure which ones i already used and which ones are good, but i inputed them all and none of them work. i know i have a few that i haven't used. i guess i should just email gs customer support.

I also have 3 $10 coupons that I was holding on to and wasn't in a rush to use since they were supposed to expire in 2013. I shot off an email yesterday but have yet to receive a response. Hopefully someone gets word soon of what happens to these coupons. I personally want to exchange them for $10 gift cards but that's wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks for the heads up. Now I have to dig up my remaining $10 coupon to see if there's a problem. Just don't know what to buy. That coupon was already a pain as is with not being applied to promos.

Should've known GS would try to weasel out.

GS is telling me the same thing, go ahead with the order and they'll "credit" me.
I hope they don't mean they'll send me a new a code or give me store credit after my purchase.

Wow, nice one Gamestop. I decided to use my codes on Black Friday and grabbed a few of the $15 games for ~$8.50 shipped apiece. Best of luck to anyone who runs into issues with the expiration dates on these!

[quote name='Blazncheetah']GS is telling me the same thing, go ahead with the order and they'll "credit" me.
I hope they don't mean they'll send me a new a code or give me store credit after my purchase.[/QUOTE]

I got the same response, here is the exact wording they sent:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

We do apologize that the coupon code you are trying to use does not work. Please go ahead and complete your order without it. Once you have done that, please reply to this message with the coupon code and the order number and we will credit you for the offer.

Important:

If the coupon has a shipping offer (example free 3 day shipping) please make
sure to select the correct shipping option.
Coupons will not stack with other coupons or with some offers.

Should your order have a coupon used on it we would be unable to apply an additional discount.
Coupons cannot be used on In-Store Pick up or download orders.
Coupons do not apply to pre-orders or consoles.

I called and was stuck on hold for maybe 20 minutes trying to get ahold of someone on the phone and was told exactly the same thing (just place the order, then call back and they would `fix' it). Since they're closed right now (9pm CST), I just e-mailed the help line with my order information and we'll see what happens.

I just remembered that when I had problems in the past and had to do this that they had real problems since I'd paid with credit. Unfortunately I don't remember what they did...I have this sinking feeling that they just ended up shipping me a $10 gift card. =(

As an update, CS was actually able to apply the $10 off code without any problems, other than waiting 15-20 minutes on the phone to talk to someone. I also sent and e-mail, but it took maybe 4 days before I got an answer. =(

I, too have $10 coupons from May and would like to take advantage before the expiration date.

I recently just upgraded my Edgecard and I get Power Up Rewards now (like the 10% discount off pre-owned items and points for every online purchase, etc).

Do the reward points/10% off count as an offer that won't be able to stack with the coupons? And should I use another account to redeem the coupons and just call them about the expiration issue?

Thanks in advance $_$

[quote name='Blazncheetah']Power Up isn't a coupon. You can use your Power Up Rewards when placing that order to use your $10 coupon.[/QUOTE]

Ok I thought they would say that PUR stuff counts as an offer that can't be used alongside the coupon.

Shooting an e-mail now and hoping for the best. Probably will call later today or tomorrow.

Wow, I just discovered this yesterday when I tried to enter an order and use one of my 2 remaining codes and it just says they are expired or not valid and I should check the spelling :roll:. They really needed to send emails warning about these expiring. That was a total douchebag move by Gamestop. My original emails say they are good through April 2013. I wrote in last night about the order I placed and of course no response mid-day Friday so far...

Edit: OK, I called in about it and the CS rep claims he added the $10 coupon manually to the order. I don't see it in there yet so hopefully it updates soon. I'm not counting on it though. I used Edge credit and part of the order already shipped, so I'm not sure how that will all shake out.

[quote name='io']Wow, I just discovered this yesterday when I tried to enter an order and use one of my 2 remaining codes and it just says they are expired or not valid and I should check the spelling :roll:. They really needed to send emails warning about these expiring. That was a total douchebag move by Gamestop. My original emails say they are good through April 2013. I wrote in last night about the order I placed and of course no response mid-day Friday so far...

Edit: OK, I called in about it and the CS rep claims he added the $10 coupon manually to the order. I don't see it in there yet so hopefully it updates soon. I'm not counting on it though. I used Edge credit and part of the order already shipped, so I'm not sure how that will all shake out.[/QUOTE]
Soon after they decided to invalidate all of these codes(I had 1-2 of them) I called into their CS and I was told to place the order and they would credit me $10 back to my form of payment. This was a while ago though, so YMMV on whether or not they'll even offer this at this point.

Just be firm and nice about it and tell them you have the original email that says the code was supposed to expire in April 2013. If they refuse to help, escalate to a manager and remain firm on getting the discount the code was supposed to provide.

I think you missed my edit (which you quoted). I did all that and they said they credited it to my order manually. I do now see the order total being $10 less than it was before. But I used an Edge card to pay and it still has the full original amount deducted (when I check the balance online). I'll give it a few more days and then I'll get on their case again.

They also finally got around to responding to my original email about the issue. In that one I had mentioned another code that didn't work (I tried both of the ones that should have been good). Via email they gave me a new $10 code to use for my next order. That's interesting - I wonder when that expires? :lol:

Uh.. wait, how can they do this? I still have an unused $20 code... I used up all of my $10 ones though. The $20 one seems to work though.

You guys should start emailing GS customer service. If enough people complain, they'll probably fix the issue.

Yeah. They prematurely expired my $10 RDR coupon from last year. I emailed them and they gave me a new $10 coupon. Try this first before going apeshit over it.

I guess the way the dealt with the $10 deducted from the order that they had already charged my Edge card for was to send me a $10 gift card. I just got an email today saying a $10 gift card was shipping. You'd think just crediting $10 back to my Edge card would be easier and cheaper for them, but whatever...

SO, yeah, anyone with codes from all those promos last summer should write in about it even if they aren't buying anything. It's probably better to deal with it now than in April 2013 when the codes were supposed to expire.

[quote name='io']I guess the way the dealt with the $10 deducted from the order that they had already charged my Edge card for was to send me a $10 gift card. I just got an email today saying a $10 gift card was shipping. You'd think just crediting $10 back to my Edge card would be easier and cheaper for them, but whatever...

SO, yeah, anyone with codes from all those promos last summer should write in about it even if they aren't buying anything. It's probably better to deal with it now than in April 2013 when the codes were supposed to expire.[/QUOTE]
I've heard of this resolution as well, which is all fine and well if you're using all GS credit. But since I'm out of it at this point hopefully they would just credit me $10 in the form of payment used or give me a different $10 code.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've heard of this resolution as well, which is all fine and well if you're using all GS credit. But since I'm out of it at this point hopefully they would just credit me $10 in the form of payment used or give me a different $10 code.[/QUOTE]

You need to think about that. Getting another $10 code is the worst possible solution. A $10 gift card can be used on any order like the code but won't have the problem of being "invalid" or expiring at some random time. It can also be used in store and in combination with other coupon offers online - neither of which works with the $10 coupon codes. Crediting the original payment method (even if that was an Edge card) is best, but they seem incapable of doing that on Edge card purchases for some reason. In lieu of that, I'd much prefer a new gift card over yet another future use coupon.

But that's not the reason I'm posting. I just got home and opened up the gift card they sent after crediting $10 to this order. I checked the value online and it is worth $0.01. #-o. WTF!? And I didn't get the $10 credit on my original purchasing Edge card either. So they still owe me $9.99 more. I'm on hold with them right now.

So, yeah, if they do send out a gift card check it ASAP. I have yet to check the new code they gave me to make up for the second expiring coupon I had. I suppose I better try to put an order in to see if that works.

Edit: So that was very cost-effective of GS. They did apparently screw up and send me a $0.01 gift card. So what are they going to do now? Credit my original Edge card? Credit the new gift card they just sent? No, apparently they are going to mail me another one. D'oh!

[quote name='io']You need to think about that. Getting another $10 code is the worst possible solution. A $10 gift card can be used on any order like the code but won't have the problem of being "invalid" or expiring at some random time. It can also be used in store and in combination with other coupon offers online - neither of which works with the $10 coupon codes. Crediting the original payment method (even if that was an Edge card) is best, but they seem incapable of doing that on Edge card purchases for some reason. In lieu of that, I'd much prefer a new gift card over yet another future use coupon.

But that's not the reason I'm posting. I just got home and opened up the gift card they sent after crediting $10 to this order. I checked the value online and it is worth $0.01. #-o. WTF!? And I didn't get the $10 credit on my original purchasing Edge card either. So they still owe me $9.99 more. I'm on hold with them right now.

So, yeah, if they do send out a gift card check it ASAP. I have yet to check the new code they gave me to make up for the second expiring coupon I had. I suppose I better try to put an order in to see if that works.

Edit: So that was very cost-effective of GS. They did apparently screw up and send me a $0.01 gift card. So what are they going to do now? Credit my original Edge card? Credit the new gift card they just sent? No, apparently they are going to mail me another one. D'oh![/QUOTE]
Only problem is, aside from maybe 3 of the GS stores in my area they all know I'm perma-banned. So even if I went to use a $10 gc in store, if I use my PUR card then I immediately get myself AND that cashier flagged in the system.

So a $10 off code that works WOULD be the best resolution for me aside from a $10 cash refund to my card if paying in cash, since then I can use the code online with my linked PUR/GS.com account and still get my 10% off discount on top of the $10 discount.:D

But yeah, I've heard of them refunding people by sending out gift cards before as opposed to just crediting it back to the original EDGE/PUR or credit/debit card. Think of it this way, if you paid in cash but they're sending you a $10 gc, you're locked to their stores to use that $10 as opposed to if they just credited your credit/debit card back if you paid that way.:whistle2:#

Just curious. Why are you perma-banned from your GS stores? Did you spill glitter and knock over their guide stand or something?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Only problem is, aside from maybe 3 of the GS stores in my area they all know I'm perma-banned. So even if I went to use a $10 gc in store, if I use my PUR card then I immediately get myself AND that cashier flagged in the system.

So a $10 off code that works WOULD be the best resolution for me aside from a $10 cash refund to my card if paying in cash, since then I can use the code online with my linked PUR/GS.com account and still get my 10% off discount on top of the $10 discount.:D

But yeah, I've heard of them refunding people by sending out gift cards before as opposed to just crediting it back to the original EDGE/PUR or credit/debit card. Think of it this way, if you paid in cash but they're sending you a $10 gc, you're locked to their stores to use that $10 as opposed to if they just credited your credit/debit card back if you paid that way.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

OK, but for any normal person, getting a $10 gift card is better than another $10 coupon code ;). And note that you can STILL use the $10gift card for your online purchases - and it does not conflict with other promo codes. So, in your case, a $10 gift card is still better than another stupid coupon code. Plus, should there ever be a good deal in store, you can use that $10 GC to buy something incognito (like, don't tell them your PUR number).

And I'm assuming if you paid via credit card you'd get refunded via credit card. This is only an issue when paying with an Edge card and in that case getting a gift card back is fine - as long as they don't screw up and send you one for a penny like they did to me. Now, if I had ever in my life been able to get penny guides at GS I'd think maybe that was karma or something. But I've never been able to buy those there...

[quote name='io']OK, but for any normal person, getting a $10 gift card is better than another $10 coupon code ;). And note that you can STILL use the $10gift card for your online purchases - and it does not conflict with other promo codes. So, in your case, a $10 gift card is still better than another stupid coupon code. Plus, should there ever be a good deal in store, you can use that $10 GC to buy something incognito (like, don't tell them your PUR number).

And I'm assuming if you paid via credit card you'd get refunded via credit card. This is only an issue when paying with an Edge card and in that case getting a gift card back is fine - as long as they don't screw up and send you one for a penny like they did to me. Now, if I had ever in my life been able to get penny guides at GS I'd think maybe that was karma or something. But I've never been able to buy those there...[/QUOTE]
Considering using the two borked $10 off codes I have from a while ago on a couple orders to be able to get credited for the expired codes. But I think I used them during a glitch a while ago, so they may be invalid either way.;)

Besides which, there's nothing I really need or want on the sale or in general right now. Although if Amazon's Warehouse Deals site doesn't stop sucking on prices sometime soon I may go back to GS for some gaming purchases.:whistle2:#

As for buying without my PUR card I have been doing that, even though I didn't want to. Then again that $15 card has been paid for many times over with how much I used to trade to them.;)

bread's done
Back