$99 USED PSPGo System (Gamestop B&M)

Vampjoe

CAGiversary!
Noticed at Gamestop today used PSPGo systems have dropped from $150 to $99. For some reason the website doesn't have used Go's at all so it's B&M only. Figured this would be nice for all the people that didn't pick it up for $150 on BF.

Is the PSPGo worth it? My son keeps saying he wants one, but I don't see any real advantages for it. He's already got a DSLite, not sure of this would be worth an additional investment for another handheld system in the house...

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Is the PSPGo worth it? My son keeps saying he wants one, but I don't see any real advantages for it. He's already got a DSLite, not sure of this would be worth an additional investment for another handheld system in the house...[/QUOTE]

If he has a DSlite I'd say no, but I really enjoy my PSPGo due to the form factor and not having to worry about carrying around games. I just throw the system in my coat pocket before a trip and I'm good to go.

I noticed SAM Club had the white PSP go to $100. If they had not shuned PSP owers that have tons of UMD's and made some way of transferring those games to the Go then I think Sony would have had a winner.

[quote name='thrasher086']If the PSP Go came with the 3 free games, is it tied to your PSN Tag or the PSPgo?[/QUOTE]

To the PSPgo not your PSN tag from what I have seen.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']If he has a DSlite I'd say no, but I really enjoy my PSPGo due to the form factor and not having to worry about carrying around games. I just throw the system in my coat pocket before a trip and I'm good to go.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input!

[quote name='thrasher086']If the PSP Go came with the 3 free games, is it tied to your PSN Tag or the PSPgo?[/QUOTE]

Used systems won't honor the 3 free games (unless you can find a way around it).
The 3 free games are not tied to anything initially. So, you could buy your system, and sell your code if you have no interest on them. Please note
that there's nothing inside the box itself. You must register your system with Sony, then go online with your PSN tag using the system. You will
then be emailed the code.

They will be tied to your system after you activate them using your PSN tag. You're allowed to activate the games on 5 different systems via your PSN tag.
So, it's also tied to your PSN id.

Awww yeah. This is the price I would bite on for the psp go. Been having an itch to play those classic ff7-9 on the "go". Thanks for the heads up :D

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Is the PSPGo worth it? My son keeps saying he wants one, but I don't see any real advantages for it. He's already got a DSLite, not sure of this would be worth an additional investment for another handheld system in the house...[/QUOTE]

The PSP is a much, much better system than the DS (I have both), but I would not under any circumstances get the Go. Over the DS, the PSP gives you a much bigger and nicer screen, better controls, and a much more powerful system. PSP games are roughly like PS2 games at a lowered resolution and generally a lowered framerate. DS games are a lot more similar to PSX/N64 games. The reason to avoid the Go is that you don't want to lose UMD and be stuck buying games on the marketplace, and the older PSPs have easy to install emulators for pretty much every system and a perfect CPS2 emulator that lets you play greats like Aliens vs Predator (arcade).

[quote name='dragonjud']Used systems won't honor the 3 free games (unless you can find a way around it).
The 3 free games are not tied to anything initially. So, you could buy your system, and sell your code if you have no interest on them. Please note
that there's nothing inside the box itself. You must register your system with Sony, then go online with your PSN tag using the system. You will
then be emailed the code.

They will be tied to your system after you activate them using your PSN tag. You're allowed to activate the games on 5 different systems via your PSN tag.
So, it's also tied to your PSN id.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info!

What would be the odds that the person before did not register the system meaning the code is still waiting.....

For me I am probably better off getting a new system since I want to games.

Thanks for the notice OP! I'll try and stop in and pick one up sometime this week (missed out on price-matching the Kmart deal at BB on black friday. :()

May just trade my 3000 for a Go; regardless of what plenty of elitist gamers will say - I need a system that actually fits in my pocket for it to ever get used; and most of my games are digital already so whatever. Yes I agree PSN's pricing structure is shit, but I don't buy any A-list PSP games. Got Lunar for $9.99 digital.

I'm still on the fence for a PSPgo. I have only one digital PSP game, three PSN games, one PSP mini, and three PSone games downloaded off of PSN. I'll wait until it is $99.99 for a new model PSPgo.

[quote name='Izod517']May just trade my 3000 for a Go; regardless of what plenty of elitist gamers will say - I need a system that actually fits in my pocket for it to ever get used; and most of my games are digital already so whatever. Yes I agree PSN's pricing structure is shit, but I don't buy any A-list PSP games. Got Lunar for $9.99 digital.[/QUOTE]

I have both and I prefer the Go, once I let go of using UMDs. The Go feels better in my hands and is a tad more portable.

The Go, as a concept, was not supported by Sony truly and I see why people dog on it. However, as a piece of hardware, it is my favorite in the PSP line.

I might jump in on this, though is there any way to look on Gamestop.com to find used PSP Go in-store availability? I can't seem to find a spot for it, though I'm guessing Gamestop (like most people) wants to pretend the Go doesn't exist. :p

I have a custom-firmed PSP-2000 that I haven't used too much lately, and I've been amassing paid digital copies of games when they've been going on sale, so I might entertain this since I have a fair amount of GS credit. Thanks for the heads-up!

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']The PSP is a much, much better system than the DS (I have both), but I would not under any circumstances get the Go. Over the DS, the PSP gives you a much bigger and nicer screen, better controls, and a much more powerful system. PSP games are roughly like PS2 games at a lowered resolution and generally a lowered framerate. DS games are a lot more similar to PSX/N64 games. The reason to avoid the Go is that you don't want to lose UMD and be stuck buying games on the marketplace, and the older PSPs have easy to install emulators for pretty much every system and a perfect CPS2 emulator that lets you play greats like Aliens vs Predator (arcade).[/QUOTE]
I'm active in the PSP modding community, someone has cracked the Go finally and a real release of the CFW that allows all of the stuff that are on the older PSPs is coming.

[quote name='Mr Ostrich']I'm active in the PSP modding community, someone has cracked the Go finally and a real release of the CFW that allows all of the stuff that are on the older PSPs is coming.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, I'd buy a Go...used most likely...but I don't even own a UMD for my psp 2000, just a bunch of stuff on the memory stick.

[quote name='digitalplague']psp go i say no! Psp 3000 is where its at.. It uses both umd's and digital (downloaded games).[/quote]

QFT!

Edit: Dear CAG, please don't automatically make my text lower case! Thanks!

Still gonna wait for target to clearence these to $100 and use the carls jr coupon. plus, since sony will stop supporting the PSPGo (if it hasnt already), CFW will be on this and make these much more enjoyable.. not to mention that at the very least, its a SONY branded portable media player. music and movies on a descent size screen is also something to consider as well. Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']The PSP is a much, much better system than the DS (I have both), but I would not under any circumstances get the Go. Over the DS, the PSP gives you a much bigger and nicer screen, better controls, and a much more powerful system. PSP games are roughly like PS2 games at a lowered resolution and generally a lowered framerate. DS games are a lot more similar to PSX/N64 games. The reason to avoid the Go is that you don't want to lose UMD and be stuck buying games on the marketplace, and the older PSPs have easy to install emulators for pretty much every system and a perfect CPS2 emulator that lets you play greats like Aliens vs Predator (arcade).[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. I have several PSP systems, including the original "Phat" model, a few 2000s, and two 3000s. The PSP blows away the DS in terms of hardware; bigger screen, better resolution, more powerful CPU and graphics processors, better front panel controls, nicer form factor. The DS is just totally underpowered, low-res, awkward to hold, and 99% of the games are shovelware and kids games. And the silly 2nd screen is a gimmick, useless in almost every game released for the system. They should have focused on a single, larger, higher-resolution screen, instead of the gimmick of having 2 screens, when designing the system.

As for the PSPGo, I like the design of the hardware, but the digital games are a ripoff vs. UMDs. I much prefer to have games on physical media for any system anyway. When the PSPGo drops to under $100 for a new system, I'll consider getting one; but even at $150 new/$100 used, it isn't worth it, IMO.

[quote name='chimpmeister']The PSP blows away the DS in terms of hardware; bigger screen, better resolution, more powerful CPU and graphics processors, better front panel controls, nicer form factor. The DS is just totally underpowered, low-res, awkward to hold, and 99% of the games are shovelware and kids games. And the silly 2nd screen is a gimmick, useless in almost every game released for the system. They should have focused on a single, larger, higher-resolution screen, instead of the gimmick of having 2 screens, when designing the system.
[/QUOTE]

What are we back at launch again? Everyone knows the DS won the war anyway...lol. My 2000 is great though. I game both and both are great in their own ways.

As for the PSP Go...at $99 I'm somewhat tempted but the 3DS is right around the corner...which is making me think twice.

[quote name='Mr Ostrich']I'm active in the PSP modding community, someone has cracked the Go finally and a real release of the CFW that allows all of the stuff that are on the older PSPs is coming.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I've been waiting for. I actually go out and buy all my psp games new but like to keep them sealed. My old psp-1000 was a helluva machine and ran emulators really well. Can't wait to be able to play all my old SNES stuff (that I own) on the go! (please forgive the awful play on words)

[quote name='punkmaggit']This is exactly what I've been waiting for. I actually go out and buy all my psp games new but like to keep them sealed. My old psp-1000 was a helluva machine and ran emulators really well. Can't wait to be able to play all my old SNES stuff (that I own) on the go! (please forgive the awful play on words)[/QUOTE]

I think it's still illegal if you buy the games and then download them on custom firmware.

Emulators and 99% of what they're used for are without a doubt illegal.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Agreed 100%. I have several PSP systems, including the original "Phat" model, a few 2000s, and two 3000s. The PSP blows away the DS in terms of hardware; bigger screen, better resolution, more powerful CPU and graphics processors, better front panel controls, nicer form factor. The DS is just totally underpowered, low-res, awkward to hold, and 99% of the games are shovelware and kids games. And the silly 2nd screen is a gimmick, useless in almost every game released for the system. They should have focused on a single, larger, higher-resolution screen, instead of the gimmick of having 2 screens, when designing the system.

As for the PSPGo, I like the design of the hardware, but the digital games are a ripoff vs. UMDs. I much prefer to have games on physical media for any system anyway. When the PSPGo drops to under $100 for a new system, I'll consider getting one; but even at $150 new/$100 used, it isn't worth it, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I am sure Nintendo is really regretting their decisions made with the DS..

[quote name='jer7583']I think it's still illegal if you buy the games and then download them on custom firmware.

Emulators and 99% of what they're used for are without a doubt illegal.[/QUOTE]

It's all a moral gray area, but one important caveat with custom firmware on the non-Go PSP is that you literally are making a backup copy of your UMD—you're not downloading a cracked copy of a game from the Internet, it's actually just creating a digital copy of your UMD. (Of course, this is all not possible on the UMD-less PSP Go.)

I've been following the PSP Go HEN progress a little bit, and I've been hearing a lot of buzz but I'm not really going to believe it until it's out.

At $99 this seems like a no brainer to me. I would also advise to get PS+ and get free PS1 and minis to use with this along with sales exclusive to PS+.

I'd recommend it at $99. I paid a little more than that awhile ago and I really enjoy mine.

And I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most of the people who only have bad things to say about the Go do not have one.

[quote name='jer7583']I think it's still illegal if you buy the games and then download them on custom firmware.

Emulators and 99% of what they're used for are without a doubt illegal.[/QUOTE]
Incorrect. If you own the game you own the game. You can do whatever you want with said game.

[quote name='lunker']I've been following the PSP Go HEN progress a little bit, and I've been hearing a lot of buzz but I'm not really going to believe it until it's out.[/QUOTE]

Aw man! Is it really HEN that they are using? That thing was a joke on my psp 3000. I only got the exploit to work like 1 time per hundred tries and then whenever my battery died or the machine crashed (which CFW did frequently) I was back to square one. If that's what they are working on they should probably just give up now and forget about CFW on PSPgo.

Just got one for six dollars after trading some games in. Any way I can check to see if I can get the three free games?

[quote name='serg0']Just got one for six dollars after trading some games in. Any way I can check to see if I can get the three free games?[/QUOTE]

Just register the system and wait for an email from Sony. Assuming the prior owner didn't register the system, you should be fine.

Good point, i should have read the thread closer. Gamestop's site makes it tough to navigate, I wanted to at least check my local stores to see if they had any used ones in stock

[quote name='handisnacks']Incorrect. If you own the game you own the game. You can do whatever you want with said game.[/QUOTE]

To be clear the poster stated that he keeps his PSP games sealed.

The only way he could play them from a memory card in that case is if they were downloaded, which is always illegal, if you own it or not. Whether you care about it being illegal or not is your business, but don't lie about what it is you're doing.

Also like the other guy said unless you're doing UMD rips from another CFW PSP and then uploading them to your go when that is possible, you'll still be on the bad side of the law.

Sony should just give up on this platform and release software that will allow users to rip software from UMDs legally to add to their psp go devices.

[quote name='jer7583']Sony should just give up on this platform and release software that will allow users to rip software from UMDs legally to add to their psp go devices.[/QUOTE]

What he said. The notion that a fairly new UMD release (new, not used) can go on sale for 19.99 in stores only to have games like Madden 10 still be 39.99 on the PSN is compleley insane. Perhaps one time use download codes could be packaged into the games.

[quote name='bgame2']Perhaps one time use download codes could be packaged into the games.[/QUOTE]

So, buy the game new, use the download code, then the UMD becomes superfluous? Nope. Try again.

I really don't see how downloading a game I own is illegal. I'm sure some sort of legal jargon describes it, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I concede that what I've done is drive any developer/publisher out of business.

bread's done
Back