Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

moleman

CAGiversary!
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/cr48advanced/?referrer=fbdec7promo

These notebooks will be running the Google Chrome operating system. They have limited amounts of these notebooks, so they are taking applications.

A slideshow of what the notebook looks like is here:

http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program-cr48.html

Wondering if one or more is coming to your town? A Gamer provided this awesome tracker: CR-48 Tracker

Test drive a Chrome notebook.

We have a limited number of Chrome notebooks to distribute, and we need to ensure that they find good homes. That’s where you come in. Everything is still very much a work in progress, and it’s users, like you, that often give us our best ideas about what feels clunky or what’s missing. So if you live in the United States, are at least 18 years old, and would like to be considered for our small Pilot program, please fill this out. It should take about 15 minutes. We'll review the requests that come in and contact you if you've been selected.

This application will be open until 11:59:59 PM PST on December 21, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, make sure they give you a "thanks for entering in the test pilot program" sort of page. If you submit and it brings you back to the education/work big box thing page, you've filled something out wrong.

Does anyone else think the notebook looks a little bare bones? I mean only 1 usb port? I can understand them not wanting to provide a full blown all out awesome computer for testing the new operating system but really? You're supposed to use this as your main system during the pilot program, this looks like an old school notebook when they 1st came out.
Yes signed up to check it out cause I want to know more about it, but if they want me to use this as a main device I need a little bit more oomph in my comp.

[quote name='downsouthtigger']Does anyone else think the notebook looks a little bare bones? I mean only 1 usb port? I can understand them not wanting to provide a full blown all out awesome computer for testing the new operating system but really? You're supposed to use this as your main system during the pilot program, this looks like an old school notebook when they 1st came out.
Yes signed up to check it out cause I want to know more about it, but if they want me to use this as a main device I need a little bit more oomph in my comp.[/QUOTE]
Macbook air is comparable, but I imagine this being better bc it is google, and you know... cheap to free.

You guys should know that this is supposed to be like a beta, and that this isn't just supposed to be about you getting to mess with a free netbook, but also about you submitting feedback to help them improve their product.

I, myself, am going to skip this. I want nothing to do with Google's attempts to dumb down computing.

[quote name='killer9']ur griping about free must be night to be rich ehhh[/QUOTE]
No, rich people can exist during all hours of the day.

I submitted an application. I would love to play with a new operating system and tinker with the inner workings to discover flaws and optimize the performance of it. Not only would this benefit my education but it would also be a really fun thing to do.

Who cares if this is something Google is making? Well..actually I kind of do...considering I believe the are the real life equivalent to Skynet...

I can't seem to submit my application. I keep getting sent back to the box screen...this is the second time I've submitted. I would like to have one to use in my classroom...see what it can offer a teacher.

I submitted my application based on the grounds that I have intimate knowledge of a computer's inner workings; that Dell didn't run right for a week or more...

[quote name='Raid3n']I submitted an application. I would love to play with a new operating system and tinker with the inner workings to discover flaws and optimize the performance of it. Not only would this benefit my education but it would also be a really fun thing to do.

Who cares if this is something Google is making? Well..actually I kind of do...considering I believe the are the real life equivalent to Skynet...[/QUOTE]

Skynet used nukes, which is dirty and inefficient. If Google engineers the machines that kill us all, it will be quick, sleek, and even as it is happening we will think, "This isn't so bad, it's actually almost enjoyable."

I agree with the inefficiency of using nukes and the eventual machines to wipe out humanity. I didn't expect that, too old school for today's technology. With the implementation of the test self driving cars out on the streets however that is just the beginning of the Skynet-esque destruction of the human race.

[quote name='freeorelse']Chrome OS delayed til ?[/QUOTE]

Some sources say it's been pushed back to mid 2011.

And how great would it be to have all CAGs as the test group? Haha.

[quote name='moleman']And how great would it be to have all CAGs as the test group? Haha.[/QUOTE]

It would definitely be bad for Google, since it's not like anyone here is actually signing up for this with the intention to actually really test these things and submit feedback, which is the point of the whole thing.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It would definitely be bad for Google, since it's not like anyone here is actually signing up for this with the intention to actually really test these things and submit feedback, which is the point of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

Give a little more credit to your peoples my man!

ocd-family-guys-buzz-killington-20090605014340917-000.jpg

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It would definitely be bad for Google, since it's not like anyone here is actually signing up for this with the intention to actually really test these things and submit feedback, which is the point of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

It might actually serve them well, as a group CAG's tend to be more technologically inclined, spend good amounts of time on the internet (which is the main purpose of the notebook apparently) and most are willing to fill out surveys. As a test group, I'd say we're better than average actually.

Engadget posted it a few days ago so I'm sure they'll have plenty of people. They said the initial run was something like 60,000 netbooks

[quote name='BudzMcGee']It might actually serve them well, as a group CAG's tend to be more technologically inclined, spend good amounts of time on the internet (which is the main purpose of the notebook apparently) and most are willing to fill out surveys. As a test group, I'd say we're better than average actually.[/QUOTE]

CAGs will fill out the survey they need to get the free thing, but that's it, for most of them. They won't keel doing them, without additional rewards.

What are the odds that choosing something other than "individual" will get you the best shot at the notebook? I feel like 99% of the people who apply will choose "individual" and I thought about using "business" so that I would be in a smaller pool of candidates. What does everyone else think?

bread's done
Back