- - - - -

Coinstar - Turn $40 of Change into $50 of Amazon Credit (or iTunes & more)

#1 daminion   Bah CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:49 AM

Coinstar is running a promotion where you can get a $10 bonus at Amazon.com (and some other sites) when you cash in $40 in change.

Note: The bonus $10 at Amazon.com is limited to Toys & Games, but this does include video games.

Here's how it works:

1. Locate a Coinstar machine near you

2. Take $40 in change (or more) to the machine and choose to receive an e-certificate for Amazon.com credit

3. On your receipt the Gift Card Code, redeemable at Amazon is at the top

4. On the bottom of the receipt, there is another code that is redeemable at Coinstar.com, fill out a small form and they then send you the bonus $10

Here's a list of partners that this works for:
- Amazon.com - e-certificate is emailed to you, this code is entered during checkout and is good for $10 off a toy or game (including video game) sold by Amazon.com
- iTunes - they mail you a $10 gift card
- Lowes
- Borders
- Rixty - (some social game thing I've never heard of)
- Regal Cinemas

I only provided details for the ones that I used -- click the links above and read the T&C for more info.

This promotion for Amazon.com ends 12/22 - all other partners end 12/31.

For fun, here's the stats on what I turned in today. This filled a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 of the way -- very nice to have all of this "useless money" out of my house.
0 Half-Dollars
399 quarters
1300 dimes
742 Nickles
4577 pennies
Total Credit: $312.62

Edited by daminion, 14 December 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#2 aunt beast   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   280 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

aunt beast

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:01 AM

drive through bank .. get 40 bucks worth of quarters .. drive to grocery store .. turn 40 bucks into 50 bucks ..

#3 Ivanhoe   CagMaster CAGiversary!   1834 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:03 AM

drive through bank .. get 40 bucks worth of quarters .. drive to grocery store .. turn 40 bucks into 50 bucks ..

easier to use 1dollar coins :)

if coinstar machines take them that is.

#4 hawaiiboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

hawaiiboy

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:05 AM

who the heck wants to count quarters when thats the whole point of the machine

#5 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1499 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:05 AM

OP, you cashed in much more than $40. Were you able to get multiple $10 credits or is this a once code per customer/website account thing?

#6 BouncingSoul   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   123 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

BouncingSoul

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:06 AM

Coinstar charges a certain amount to cash your change. Can't remember how much it is though. I'd still do it I had any cash stashed away.

edit: apparently you don't get charged the 9 percent if you turn it into a gift card. Nice deal.

Edited by BouncingSoul, 12 December 2010 - 04:54 AM.

#7 urmomlikesme   Random Fart Noise CAGiversary!   1185 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

urmomlikesme

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

I just changed $40 bucks worth of change on thanksgiving for black friday on Amazon :'(

#8 Admiral Moo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   530 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Admiral Moo

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:11 AM

Coinstar charges a certain amount to cash your change. Can't remember how much it is though. I'd still do it I had any cash stashed away

It is free if you turn it into a gift card.

I do this same promo every year. Always works.

I think it is limited to one offer per customer, because you have to fill out the form on their site.

#9 DaveWadding   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

DaveWadding

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:11 AM

Coinstar charges a certain amount to cash your change. Can't remember how much it is though. I'd still do it I had any cash stashed away

9%. But that's only if you turn it into cash. Turning your change into a gift card (Amazon, Starbucks, iTunes etc) is free.

#10 daminion   Bah CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:13 AM

OP, you cashed in much more than $40. Were you able to get multiple $10 credits or is this a once code per customer/website account thing?

I did 2 transactions. Probably could have done more, but honestly felt stupid standing in front of the machine with my 5 gallon bucket and just wanted to get out of there.

I got 1 Amazon & 1 iTunes.

The offer says 1 per household, and I took that to be per partner.

#11 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1499 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:14 AM

It is free if you turn it into a gift card.

How do they make money then? I give them 40, they give me 50 in a gift card. Why would they do it?
What are they, First CityWide Change Bank?

#12 lolwut?   Thank you BasedGod CAGiversary!   4378 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

It's like 9% of every dollar, but you don't get charged if you choose to get e-credit. If I was in the OP's position however, I just would've cashed in the $40 and took the rest to the bank to keep that in cash

#13 Admiral Moo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   530 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Admiral Moo

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:19 AM

I'm guessing it shows you how awesome the service is, then you come back later...

#14 MXRider   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   326 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:25 AM

Coinstar is running a promotion where you can get a $10 bonus at Amazon.com (and some other sites) when you cash in $40 in change.

Note: The bonus $10 at Amazon.com is limited to Toys & Games, but this does include video games.

Here's how it works:

1. Locate a Coinstar machine near you

2. Take $40 in change (or more) to the machine and choose to receive an e-certificate for Amazon.com credit

3. On your receipt the Gift Card Code, redeemable at Amazon is at the top

4. On the bottom of the receipt, there is another code that is redeemable at Coinstar.com, fill out a small form and they then send you the bonus $10

Here's a list of partners that this works for:
- Amazon.com - e-certificate is emailed to you, this code is entered during checkout and is good for $10 off a toy or game (including video game) sold by Amazon.com
- iTunes - they mail you a $10 gift card
- Lowes
- Borders
- Rixty - (some social game thing I've never heard of)
- Regal Cinemas

I only provided details for the ones that I used -- click the links above and read the T&C for more info.

Amazon.com ends 12/22 - all other partners end 12/31.

For fun, here's the stats on what I turned in today. This filled a 5 gallon bucket about 3/4 of the way -- very nice to have all of this "useless money" out of my house.
0 Half-Dollars
399 quarters
1300 dimes
742 Nickles
4577 pennies
Total Credit: $312.62

You should have split it into like 7 order and get like $70 free

#15 iNCREDiPiNOY   This guy is awesome! CAGiversary!   9057 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

iNCREDiPiNOY

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:27 AM

I think I have 4,000 pennies lying around my house. :lol:

#16 daminion   Bah CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

It's like 9% of every dollar, but you don't get charged if you choose to get e-credit. If I was in the OP's position however, I just would've cashed in the $40 and took the rest to the bank to keep that in cash

Amazon credit to me is the same as cash. I don't just use amazon for games -- I get a monthly shipment of coffee and my wife buys a lot of books.

Plus my bank, and none in this area, will take change in 5 gallon bucket form -- they want it all rolled. I wasn't about to roll 4000 pennies.

In terms of how the math works -- they get a discount from Amazon on the gift cards. I recently rolled out a project where I work that incorporates Amazon gift cards. We signed a deal to buy a certain amount of gift cards over a couple of years and they gave us a 13% discount. I'm sure Coinstar has the buying power to get far better than 13%. But even at 13% they made $40 off of me.

#17 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3090 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:51 AM

I am tempted to go to the bank and get $40 in quarters since I buy a ton of crap from amazon anyway. Will have to read the terms to see how many $10 toy / games coupons you can actually get.

#18 slfc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:15 AM

Did I read the Amazon Terms & Conditions right, that the $10 code must be used on an Amazon.com purchase of $40 or more?

#19 nakanenui   O-O CAGiversary!   1854 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:20 AM

The only problem I see is how accurate is coinstar's machines. Has anyone every been shortchanged? I could see how them charging their fee (9% or whatever) plus any change that they miss count adds to their profit margin.

Its the same concept as person A has credit at store 1, sells to person B for cash at a 10% discount or whatever. Person A gets his store credits through credit card points or trade-in deals or whatever, so to him a 10% discount is acceptable for him to cash out...

#20 Serpentor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5163 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:26 AM

It looks like too many strings attached to the Amazon GC... Limited to toys and games 9how about consoles?) and there's apparent minimum purchase restriction.

#21 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1010 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:27 AM

Hmm, I do the Coinstar->Amazon gift card all the time anyways. I'll make sure to get in on this. Thanks for the head's up OP.

-

#22 thegreek   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   586 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

thegreek

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:36 AM

x123456789

#23 kodave   Huh. CAGiversary!   4390 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:41 AM

Just counted out my change jar. $39.95 - I'm sure I've got a nickel in my car or something. I've been waiting for this deal to come back.

#24 BouncingSoul   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   123 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

BouncingSoul

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:52 AM

9%. But that's only if you turn it into cash. Turning your change into a gift card (Amazon, Starbucks, iTunes etc) is free.

That's a good deal then.

#25 Hostile   Dark Evangel CAGiversary!   3160 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:59 AM

Whoops. I just went a month ago and definitely had more than $40 in change.

#26 crzyjoeguy   King of Beers CAGiversary!   2526 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:13 AM

hmmm i think ill go to the bank, and apply the gift card directly to gears 3 so i have that paid off when it comes out.... or just buy more games i dont need.... whatever lol

#27 karkyco   $$$ CAGiversary!   6801 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:23 AM

How do they make money then? I give them 40, they give me 50 in a gift card. Why would they do it?
What are they, First CityWide Change Bank?

Coinstar makes so much fucking money, it's not even funny. That 9% they charge for the "privilege" of converting all that "useless" change for people too lazy to do it themselves is virtually all profit considering their extremely low overhead.

And I wouldn't be surprised if coinstar separates out older, more valuable coins - pure silver dollars, half dollars, and quarters for example for an ENORMOUS profit...I certainly would if I ran the operation...they'd be foolish not to.

In this deal, they obviously get paid some percentage by the business they are giving the gift card to - amazon gives them some cut or deal on the credit...perhaps each $50 giftcard is purchased for $37.50 or whatnot. Someone mentioned 13% off, as well as coinstar undoubtedly having more leverage because of the amount they are buying.

As far as the machines being accurate, that is a good question. I've tested the accuracy before and it was correct, but that was many many years ago. Of course, there would be huge penalties potentially for them from various state wights and measures departments, departments of consumer affairs, etc. if they were shortchanging people. Not to mention class action lawsuits. I figure they get tested enough by various members of the public that would scream bloody murder if anything was shady.

#28 tardoman   X-rays! CAGiversary!   210 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the heads up OP! I'll definitely have to make a trip to the grocery store with my change.

#29 Perfect*Ending   Cute Kelly CAGiversary!   2400 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Perfect*Ending

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:25 AM

Will try this. :)

#30 Achilles00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Achilles00

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:35 AM

Awesome deal. I'll spend it on the games at some point. Thanks!