Demon's Souls Greatest Hits $14.99 at Amazon

[quote name='mywhitenoise']That's some of the best $15 you could ever spend.[/QUOTE]

QFT, first game where I died more than a few times. Amazing game :applause:

Just restarted this game a few days ago. I love the game but some people think it is to hard. My general tip would be to keep this in mind. You can finish this gave at level 1 and you can be defeated my low level monsters even if you are level 100. The key is knowing how and when to fight. For example there is a guy that kill you in on one hit but if you parry his strike he will never hit you and will be left open for attack. The guy is so slow parrying should be easy but if you have no idea how to parry you are screwed even if you are level 100. Sure you might survive one or two hits but you wont kill the guy.

Skipped on this during the 17 days deals. Seeing it now for even cheaper, I'm taking as a cosmic sign to just buy the damn thing.

Jeeze. Black Friday + Christmas of 2010 have done more to my wallet than the past 3 years combined.

In before the OMGZ!!? The case is soo ugly.

Great game playing it at the moment and loving just about everything about it. Except maybe the light orb around you, wish their were shadows but that's just minor stuff.

I posted this in the amazon thread but I'll probably get a better answer here? What game regardless of console generation would you compare this to? I have a big backlog of games but this is ridiculously cheap. I've never been a fan of turn based RPGs so I've never played any of those really. My RPG experience is Zelda, Jade Empire, and X-Men Legends.

Any of the other From Software RPGs just in third person, Kings Field, Shadow Tower. Other than that maybe Enclave, Rune, Drakan, but with more RPG elements. Like all From Software games, it's not with out it's faults, NPC's mouths don't move when they talk, (hey, at least they have faces!) havoc wasn't implemented properly and corpses get kicked around like leaves, etc. but the parts that work, work extremely well imo.

I guess it is a little like Zelda, the latter ones, but it doesn't hold your hand like they do. It just drops you into this brutal world where you're going to die a lot at first. Zelda and King's Field are actually more action adventure, this is more action rpg. There's a lot of leveling up equipment and yourself, different classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted to buy a second copy to keep my collector's edition(with player's guide) in mint an still wrapped. Do you think I should do that? I would actually love to play this game. I wonder though if this game will actually sell for $10 or less.

[quote name='3rdbass']I'm tempted to buy a second copy to keep my collector's edition(with player's guide) in mint an still wrapped. Do you think I should do that? I would actually love to play this game. I wonder though if this game will actually sell for $10 or less.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Hell yes, you lucky SOB. I wish I had bought the Collectors Edition, but I really didn't expect much of this game.

Really didn't expect much at first since RPGs from Japan have not really done well console-wise in recent years. DS is a awesome game although it's hell difficult to play at first but does get better. Have to give From Software credit here. Great deal should last through the holidays but do check frequently.

[quote name='clok1966']best game nobody has played. heck best game this console generation IMHO. A steal at that price.[/QUOTE]
It sold a half mil.
[quote name='3rdbass']I'm tempted to buy a second copy to keep my collector's edition(with player's guide) in mint an still wrapped. Do you think I should do that? I would actually love to play this game. I wonder though if this game will actually sell for $10 or less.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Do it. The game is fucking amazing.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Yes. Hell yes, you lucky SOB. I wish I had bought the Collectors Edition, but I really didn't expect much of this game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bought it from Amazon with the ECA discounts last October 2009. I think it was like $56 when I bought it and I have never opened it as I saw how popular it became. I had a feeling about this after reading reviews about the Japanese imported version. I will do it. Hey if I can buy AW CE just to have a collectible I better do it for DS which by all accounts is a better game. My backlog is just so huge and if this game would fall to $9.99 I would bite. Free Shipping though is making this deal very tempting.

This game is amazing. It is definately playable and plattable offline, but you will be missing some of the most interesting/enjoyable parts. I know everyone, including myself, freaks out at the thought and end dates of the servers, but if they are selling greatest hits versions i really doubt they will kill the servers next year.
Playing online is fantastic because if you ever get stuck there will be notes to read, spirits to follow, blue souls to help you out(if your in body form), and if you are in spirit form you can help other bodies and get your body back while practicing on the bosses. I found it fantastic. The last times I played it was so long ago, so this is just reminiscent good thoughts, but i loved the mood and everything about it. I ended playing it because I got caught up being a red invading spirit and I kept losing my levels cuz i would fall off the stage or get killed by the environment and it drops you a level, lol. at level 120ish thats a ton of souls and i was like, i gotta knock it off. but im totally gonna go back someday, hopefully while servers are live.

oh word of advice tho, i know people say it is very hard, but whatever you do, don't just summon blue spirits and follow them through the levels. it will make the game 100x easier but alot less fun because the difficulty is important. i spent a level or two summoning blue spirits and just letting them kill everything cuz i was freakn out but then it makes it too easy. i know im crazy for thinking demons souls is too easy, but its true if you have a blue spirit army with ya... yow

oh and world 3-3 fight is epic. and so is 3-1 cthulu prison guards with chime bells...oooh it makes me want to play it so bad when i get home from work! oh yeah i got the collectors edition too for $40 the day it came out, woot, i always kick myself for not tearing off the strategy guide cover and requesting a new one tho, oh well.

My copy arrives tomorrow and I'm working over time to get most of my homework done before I start the journey. I can't wait to play. After hearing some great reviews from talking about gamers podcast, I've had my eye on it before I became a PS3 owner. The only drawback is the co-op play. Hopefully Demons Souls 2 will expand it so you can invite anyone on your friends list and most importantly voice chat. From what I've read so far the online portion could have been implemented better.

I bought the DS deluxe version the day before it came out, and I am sooo glad I did. DS is the best game for ps3 (or the worst for some people).

A couple months ago I even replayed the game to get the plat and it was just as fun the second (and third) time.

The only thing is that now over a year later you will run into far less pvp ganking than when the game first game out, which might be better for some people. As for me, ganking is what really keeps you on edge when trying to finish a level.

DS is a game that brings out REAL emotions, which most video games don't.

Anger, frustration and sometimes scared s&)*less.

I remember seeing a note another player left on the ground. So, I read it "Behind You!" I spun my character a 180 turn and almost jumped out of my seat when a Grim Reaper one shotted me!!

GG

I on the other hand hate the messages, if I wanted hints I'd check online, so I'm left with red splatters and messages littering my game, unless I sign out of PSN.

A question for all you PvP vets, if someone invades your game does it tell you? I was in 2-2, I believe, and I encountered two red glowing phantoms and killed them both. I just wasn't sure if they were in-game or online, as I hadn't encountered anything like them before.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I on the other hand hate the messages, if I wanted hints I'd check online, so I'm left with red splatters and messages littering my game, unless I sign out of PSN.

A question for all you PvP vets, if someone invades your game does it tell you? I was in 2-2, I believe, and I encountered two red glowing phantoms and killed them both. I just wasn't sure if they were in-game or online, as I hadn't encountered anything like them before.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. It'll tell you the exact person (PSN name) that invades you. You just encountered the hero phantoms, you'll find more later on (which I find they are difficult if you're not a melee master/dodge)

@matrix9280:
For me, the best aspect of the game is immersion. The atmosphere of all of the levels (including the main hub) is consistently well done, and the levels are very different from one another. Also, rarely is your character powerful enough to simply walk through enemies like they are nothing. No matter your level or equipment, foolish behavior on your part results in rapid humiliation. In some levels, you may be at the edge of your seat for the entire trip.
All of the regular things are there as well: the story is simple and engaging, exploration is rewarded though not necessary, the controls work very well, the game is generally free of glitches, cutscenes are short but effective, etc. The multiplayer aspect does add something to the experience, but even if they shut down the servers this is a great game for $15.

I've been a huge From Software (rpg/aa) ever since King's Field handed me my ass on the PS1, I rented it a weekend tried it at the beginning and it was impossible. After I got bord with whatever else I rented I went back and played it. I learned how to play it, took my time and had possibly one of the greatest adventures I've ever had, all in first person way back then. So my opinion is a little jaded because I've been having this much fun, and specially this kind of fun, each time they put out another game of this type.

This is my favorite game next to MGS4 and my favorite platinum. Also 1/2 games i ever brought at full price i picked this up on US release day on a hunch from watching a you-tube video and listening to the hardcore players who had imported it.

PS The red eyed knight that's in chapter one forgot which section but your not suppose to pass him for awhile not int ill you have the key for the door behind him.

Btw my platinum took me 152 hours with help from a friend.

This really is probably my favorite game ever. I traded it away after not playing for like 3 months but I did beat it twice. In insane plat unless you use a guide and no how to go for the plat from the start. Pretty sure you can't plat it on 1 go through.

[quote name='acsguitar']This really is probably my favorite game ever. I traded it away after not playing for like 3 months but I did beat it twice. In insane plat unless you use a guide and no how to go for the plat from the start. Pretty sure you can't plat it on 1 go through.[/QUOTE]

3.5 playthroughs minimum if memory serves me, though after the first, you can get through each one in a few hours

One of my top 3 games of all time!

Don't buy this game if you hate great games. I personally hate great games and will not be buying.

I also hate other great things such as puppies, unicorns, and roller coasters.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='henryVIII']Don't buy this game if you hate great games. I personally hate great games and will not be buying.[/QUOTE]

Taking your advice, won't be buying.

You meant you didn't unwrap it and exchange the defective guide for a good one when the exchange program was active? I did unwrap mine just for the exchange but other than that everything is as new and mint as it gets.

I may get a GH copy just to play since the one in the Deluxe is a black label in factory wrap. I'd just keep the DE for the collection.

Demon's Souls finally made it's way to the front of my backlog and I just started playing it. Since the game is universally praised, I'm really trying to give the game a fair shake but so far it's boring/frustrating. I'm not too far into the game, but it seems like 100% dungeon crawler with slow pattern-based combat. I hate having to re-clear everything up to the boss when I'm learning the strategy to beat them (although, they put in some nifty short-cuts). I've already did a few runs through the first level to get more health items, and it's getting too tedious for me.

Other annoyances so far was trying to find the Monumental after the first boss, and constantly fighting in small corridors where melee swings can be deflected by walls.

I'm sure the game is fun once you have a good grasp of all the strategies/intricacies of the game. Getting to that point is a bit slow to me, and I'm not sure the payoff will be worth it to me. Looking for help online will certainly speed things up, but games are far less fun when I'm following a strategy guide.

Edit: originally posted in the wrong thread :(

Atlus just posted on Twitter that the servers have been extended again, and Pure White Tendency is on for the rest of the holiday season. Great time to get into the game. I guess I should take my own advice and start playing it!!

[quote name='Ionotropic']Atlus just posted on Twitter that the servers have been extended again, and Pure White Tendency is on for the rest of the holiday season. Great time to get into the game. I guess I should take my own advice and start playing it!![/QUOTE]

I don't think any prospective buyer is going to understand what that means :)

I've played for 6 hrs or so and those statements are still foreign to me. I thought the servers were supposed to be up at least till March 2011? What did they extend it to? What is Pure White Tendency and how does the holiday season effect it?

They didn't say how long they've been extended, only that they have been. Pure White Tendency is an effect around Christmas and other holidays that makes the game a little easier from what I understand. They also do a Black Tendency around Halloween and other times that makes the game harder.

[quote name='Antipodes']Demon's Souls finally made it's way to the front of my backlog and I just started playing it. Since the game is universally praised, I'm really trying to give the game a fair shake but so far it's boring/frustrating. I'm not too far into the game, but it seems like 100% dungeon crawler with slow pattern-based combat. I hate having to re-clear everything up to the boss when I'm learning the strategy to beat them (although, they put in some nifty short-cuts). I've already did a few runs through the first level to get more health items, and it's getting too tedious for me.

Other annoyances so far was trying to find the Monumental after the first boss, and constantly fighting in small corridors where melee swings can be deflected by walls.

I'm sure the game is fun once you have a good grasp of all the strategies/intricacies of the game. Getting to that point is a bit slow to me, and I'm not sure the payoff will be worth it to me. Looking for help online will certainly speed things up, but games are far less fun when I'm following a strategy guide.

Edit: originally posted in the wrong thread :([/QUOTE]

Demon's Souls has decided you are not worthy to play it. Hang your head in shame!

j/k

It starts slow but man it picks up into awesomefantasticness

If you are hesitant about buying this, don't be.

I'd like to make it clear that the learning curve is a bit unforgiving, but it becomes easier as the game goes on.

I would know, mainly because I spent 6 hours my first time beating 1-1. (Even with the difficulty at first, 6 hours is way higher than it should take to beat 1-1 on the first time.)

I ended up beating the entire game in around 24 hours (and the average is usually a bit higher around 30 - 40 for the first time.)

Like I said, the game gets easier though. As you level and get gear, it becomes a cakewalk, a far cry from the beginning tear-shedding pit of death that it began as.

Also, white tendency for the holidays means it'll be easy-mode

bread's done
Back