Tales of Vesperia @ Amazon - $17.96 + FSSS

[quote name='Kaiser499']Still wanting the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

Well, keep on waiting, dude. I don't want to say it's never going to happen ... but it's never going to happen.

I understand your frustrations, though. It'd be great to get that version here but as a JRPG fan (and given the absolute lack of good ones this gen), I'll take what I can get.

Also, I don't see the PS3 version ever making it stateside. MS paid a lot and pretty much owns this title in North America (may explain why the "Only for" stamp is carried on this title). That, and the practicality of Namco announcing a 3 year-old RPG for the PS3 next year (when it would be 4 years old) would be one of the most absurd business decisions ever (though then again, we are talking about Namco here, but even they surely can do the math).

That, and the practicality of Namco announcing a 3 year-old RPG for the PS3 now would be one of the most absurd business decisions ever (though then again, we are talking about Namco here, but even they surely can do the math).
Well, No More Heroes is coming to PS3 soon...

Not really a deal, but whatever.
EDIT: Must have been a reprint. I didn't realize that the price dropped, sorry. I bought it a couple days ago for this price, so I didn't think it was special.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='romeogbs19']Well, keep on waiting, dude. I don't want to say it's never going to happen ... but it's never going to happen.

I understand your frustrations, though. It'd be great to get that version here but as a JRPG fan (and given the absolute lack of good ones this gen), I'll take what I can get.

Also, I don't see the PS3 version ever making it stateside. MS paid a lot and pretty much owns this title in North America (may explain why the "Only for" stamp is carried on this title). That, and the practicality of Namco announcing a 3 year-old RPG for the PS3 next year (when it would be 4 years old) would be one of the most absurd business decisions ever (though then again, we are talking about Namco here, but even they surely can do the math).[/QUOTE]

I kinda doubt Microsoft "owns" this game in North America. They probably just had an exclusivity contract which has expired by now.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']Well, No More Heroes is coming to PS3 soon...[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges, really. I don't think Nintendo paid Grasshopper to keep HMH exclusive, unlike MS which paid Namco to translate the title and to keep it exclusive. MS locked up a lot of Japanese franchises (Rumble Roses, Ace Combat, etc.)

Furthermore, we're talking about a game (NMH) that has new technology on its side to make it refreshing (Move support) and a new coating of paint (the game is being graphically enhanced).

Namco isn't about to spend more resources (and $$$) to redo the voices for a NA release. It would very much rather spend that cash on a new Tales game.

No one (but a select, select few) are going to be at all excited about a ToV release on the PS3.

This game must have reprinted numerous times. Seen it OOP and price skyrocketed, then reprint and repeat.

I saw the thread title while browsing CAG on my phone and I almost flipped my shit and went to go buy it post haste. Needed to sell my copy a few years ago and been looking for a decent price on the game for a while and this is it!

As for the Vesperia, I absolutly love this game and yes, this is by far the best JRPG this gen that also houses the best main character since Zidane from FFIX.

This game is one of the best JRPGs of all time. It's got all of what's good about the genre, with very little of what's annoying.

Buy this, now.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Apples and oranges, really. I don't think Nintendo paid Grasshopper to keep HMH exclusive, unlike MS which paid Namco to translate the title and to keep it exclusive. MS locked up a lot of Japanese franchises (Rumble Roses, Ace Combat, etc.)[/quote]
Exclusitivty doesn't carry much sway these days... plus I couldn't imagine MS caring a whole lot either, they tried early on to wine and dine Japanese gamers but now that it hasn't panned out too well I couldn't imagine them fighting very hard to keep a moderate selling JRPG in their grasp. Hell, if Mass Effect managed to get away without any real uproar from MS, why would this?

Furthermore, we're talking about a game (NMH) that has new technology on its side to make it refreshing (Move support) and a new coating of paint (the game is being graphically enhanced).
I don't think the difference is THAT drastic... I was just reading a preview of the game, and the producer said the move controls would be very similiar to the wii controls, it doesn't sound like an overhaul so much as it sounds like a moderate upgrade a la Bully Scholarship Edition.

Namco isn't about to spend more resources (and $$$) to redo the voices for a NA release. It would very much rather spend that cash on a new Tales game.
You might have to explain this to me, why can't they keep the old voices?

No one (but a select, select few) are going to be at all excited about a ToV release on the PS3.
I don't disagree, I also think it's probably unlikely that we'll see it on the PS3... I just don't quite understand your statement that it'd be absurd because too much time has passed. Mac users just got the friggin' GTA Trilogy last month.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']You might have to explain this to me, why can't they keep the old voices?[/QUOTE]
If you've played the 360 version, you probably remember that almost half the dialog wasn't voiced. The Japanese PS3 port voiced all that missing dialog as well as some additional dialog, and that's what would need to be voiced to localize the PS3 version. I remember Troy Baker saying he'd gone back into the studio to do more recording, but then everyone was saying he was lying or misspoke or whatever. Who knows what the real story is. This game was awesome and I'd love to play the enhanced version on my PS3, but it's never gonna happen, folks. I'd love to be proven wrong, though! :)

Has the reprinting of the game made the price go down? I got the game a month ago and it has lowered ever since. Once I'm done with my finals, I can't wait to start playing!!

Paid $27 for this in July 2009; spent a good 120 hours on ToV and it was great. Highly recommended if you want a relatively lighthearted and enjoyable JRPG.

[quote name='simmias']If you've played the 360 version, you probably remember that almost half the dialog wasn't voiced. The Japanese PS3 port voiced all that missing dialog as well as some additional dialog, and that's what would need to be voiced to localize the PS3 version. I remember Troy Baker saying he'd gone back into the studio to do more recording, but then everyone was saying he was lying or misspoke or whatever. Who knows what the real story is. This game was awesome and I'd love to play the enhanced version on my PS3, but it's never gonna happen, folks. I'd love to be proven wrong, though! :)[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised how often games don't match the amount of voice acting as the source material when localized. Just because more voice work was added to the Japanese version doesn't mean the same would have to be done for the English version. There are games that get localized without as much voice acting as the original, and there are games that get localized with additional voice acting not present in the original.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Hmm tempted to pick this up, but my backlog is huge![/QUOTE]
Go get it now.

If you don't buy this game because you backlog is huge, you won't/shouldn't be buying any more games.

[quote name='typical guy']Considering tales studio was shuttered, it's not coming to ps3. Get it on 360[/QUOTE]

Then how is the Symphonia team doing the Tales of Xillia game, which just had an announcement trailer yesterday and an article in Famitsu? Yes they're in extremely bad financial shape, but they're not dead yet.

How Namco stays in business I don't understand. They and Sega make decisions that would embarrass former Midway execs, yet somehow they stay in business.

And all of you waiting for a PS3 version, I don't want to hear you gripe 10 years from now you never got to play Vesperia if you have a local friend that owns a 360. I can't say just buy a 360 anymore since Mass Effect (outside of No. 1) is multiplatform now and 360 only has 2 great JRPG exclusives (Vesperia and Lost Odyssey) and 2 decent ones (Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery) left, but you're holding out hope for something that sadly isn't happening. The game was released in Sept. 08 and if it was coming to the states/Europe on PS3, then we would know something before now. If they didn't bring the voice actors in this year, then they're not going to spend that much to port a game that at this time was released 27 months ago.

I'd love for Sega to put Valkyria Chronicles on 360 so my non-PS3 owning friends could play it but that's not happening either.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='unclenebber']This is the best JRPG of this generation. And in many ways, one of the best of all time.[/QUOTE]

^This :applause:

Easily the best in the whole Tales series. Definitely in my top 5 games of all time now. I have got to play Vesperia again. I think my gamerpicture in my gamercard in my sig should tell you I like Vesperia a little bit. ;)

I would have bought it if it was on the ps3. The asshats at namco/bandai can suck it. I won't be buying games from them anytime soon.

thanks op! the game was priced at $17.07 and shipping was $4.95. not bad for a rare game and one of the best jrpgs for the 360!

For some reason I am getting taxed 1.19 and making the game 18.26 instead of 17.07? That 1.19 kind of looking like a killer because of my backlog.

Can anyone confirm if this is the reprint that comes in the cheaper/eco-friendly case? I assume it is, but would be nice to confirm.

[quote name='Jabrim']Well you all have convinced me, I am going to get myself a copy of Tales of Vesperia.[/QUOTE]

You won't be disappointed. One of the things everyone loves is that the protaganist is badass and not a wimpy guy like in most jrpgs.

[quote name='hwmusic']For some reason I am getting taxed 1.19 and making the game 18.26 instead of 17.07? That 1.19 kind of looking like a killer because of my backlog.[/QUOTE]
I'd hazard this game is better than anything in your backlog.

[quote name='Jabrim']Well I am also picking up Blue Dragon (Which I have played) for $8.95 new.[/QUOTE]

Such an underrated RPG, Blue Dragon. It's not great but it's certainly a little charmer and far better than most of the JRPGs this generation (i.e. Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Magna Carta 2).

[quote name='simmias']I'd hazard this game is better than anything in your backlog.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, if $1.19 is the difference between buying the game and not buying the game just don't buy it, it's not even $5.00 it's a $1.19. Just don't buy that .99 cent double from Burger King tomorrow and there is your game.

I just picked it up. All these recommendations and an itch for a good RPG made me do it. Sweet. Now to find the time to play all these games.

I swear I've doubled my game inventory in the last three weeks thanks to CAG and Amazon.

[quote name='maxpower2']i just picked it up. All these recommendations and an itch for a good rpg made me do it. Sweet. Now to find the time to play all these games.

I swear i've doubled my game inventory in the last three weeks thanks to cag and amazon.[/quote]

+1

bread's done
Back