EA Reveals Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects (56k warning?) UPDATED

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
IGN has a new interview with the writer of the comic book prequel to RotI, check it out here

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/596/596078p1.html

For months now both Marvel and Electronic Arts have tantalized us with talk of a new fighting game where classic Marvel heroes will take on a roster of characters created specifically for EA. Today, at last, the companies officially announced Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects, in development for PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, and the PSP.

Marvel Nemesis will introduce a new team of heroes, developed specifically for EA. To help create the new characters, the company has enlisted comic artist Jae Lee (Spider-Man, Uncanny X-men, X-Factor, Captain America, and Hellshock) and designer Paul Catling, who did concept art and character design for films like Spider-Man 2, AVP: Alien vs. Predator, The Punisher, and Harry Potter.

The game, developed by Nihilistic Software (Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption), will include more than a dozen fighters duking it out in interactive, destructible environments. As you might guess, each character comes to the fight with special abilities based on the hero's background.

Though EA and Marvel have not revealed a release date for the game, a six-issue monthly promo comic run starting in May would lead us to October. So, think this fall.

To get players and comic fans ready for the game, in May EA and Marvel will launch Marvel Nemesis: The Imperfects, a six-issue mini-series. The comic books will introduce new EA characters each month, as well as tell the story of Spider-Man, Wolverine, The Thing, and Elektra taking on evil alien scientist Niles Van Roekel, one of the new EA characters.

Further details on the game are still behind the curtain of careful promotional timing, but you can bet your sweet cheeks we'll be back with more as soon as new details emerge. Stay tuned.

marvel-nemesis-rise-of-the-imperfects-20050315104947631.jpg

marvel-nemesis-rise-of-the-imperfects-20050315104948162.jpg

marvel-nemesis-rise-of-the-imperfects-20050315104948849.jpg
marvel-nemesis-rise-of-the-imperfects-20050315104944381.jpg
marvel-nemesis-rise-of-the-imperfects-20050315104949709.jpg
marvel-nemesis-rise-of-the-imperfects-20050315104950130.jpg

I take it this is a 3D fighter? Soul Caliber (and maybe Tekken) is the only 3D game to get it right. Everything must be perfect - especially collision detail and character balance. I hope they nail it because the idea is promising but I'll believe it when I see it. Now if this was Capcom making a Marvel v. som made up characters using an updated SFIII engine I'd be wetting myself right about now...

[quote name='javeryh']I take it this is a 3D fighter? Soul Caliber (and maybe Tekken) is the only 3D game to get it right. Everything must be perfect - especially collision detail and character balance. I hope they nail it because the idea is promising but I'll believe it when I see it. Now if this was Capcom making a Marvel v. som made up characters using an updated SFIII engine I'd be wetting myself right about now...[/quote]

What about VF4...its the best 3D fighter IMHO.

Also its cool that its gonna be on the PSP, it would seem a bunch of companies are jumping on the PSP bandwagon.

Well, that sounds horribly mediocre. Come on The Thing and Elektra? Who wants second rate comic book characters. And Wolverine is beyond played out.

I can't wait to play as nameless hero #2. :roll: For me, alot of the enjoyment of playing the Marvel vs. Capcom games came from playing characters I know and love. EA would have been better off having the Marvel characters face off against themselves rather than make up a bunch of characters we'll most likely forget.

[quote name='dcfox']I can't wait to play as nameless hero #2. :roll: For me, alot of the enjoyment of playing the Marvel vs. Capcom games came from playing characters I know and love. EA would have been better off having the Marvel characters face off against themselves rather than make up a bunch of characters we'll most likely forget.[/quote]

Thats how I feel. I think it was a stupid move on their part.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']EA, sucking the soul out of games since 1999.[/quote]

Werd....wonder when this will be comming out?

[quote name='Tromack']Well, that sounds horribly mediocre. Come on The Thing and Elektra? Who wants second rate comic book characters. And Wolverine is beyond played out.[/quote]

Are you serious? Thing and Elektra are excellent characters!

[quote name='whoknows']The screenshots do look pretty impressive though.[/quote]

You don't actually believe that is what it is going to look like, right? Those are obviously concept screens.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='whoknows']The screenshots do look pretty impressive though.[/quote]

You don't actually believe that is what it is going to look like, right? Those are obviously concept screens.[/quote]

I'm talking about the comic screens :p

[quote name='whoknows'][quote name='javeryh']I take it this is a 3D fighter? Soul Caliber (and maybe Tekken) is the only 3D game to get it right. Everything must be perfect - especially collision detail and character balance. I hope they nail it because the idea is promising but I'll believe it when I see it. Now if this was Capcom making a Marvel v. som made up characters using an updated SFIII engine I'd be wetting myself right about now...[/quote]

What about VF4...its the best 3D fighter IMHO.[/quote]

Crap. I knew I was forgetting something.

Those screens look like they could be from actual gameplay considering that they don't look that much better than Def Jam: Fight for New York. I'm excited about it, but I think it has great flop potential. It all depends on the type of characters EA dreams up, and whether or not they are interesting enough to share the stage with the Marvel heroes. We'll see...

Screw renders, it's all about in-game shots.. which there aren't any of.

If it's on live, it's mine. If it's not, I'll wait for a CC clearance.

Marvel should be ashamed for buying in to such a stupid ass idea. Stan Lee acts like a crack whore desperate for money from anyone, anywhere at anytime.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']wow! more than a dozen characters! incredibly impresssive! (MvsC2 had over 50, and no clones)[/quote]

Mega Man/Roll, Wolverine/Wolverine, War Machine/Iron Man, Charlie/Guile...

Ick.

Something tells me that this game won't go over well. I'm hoping it won't be bad, but I don't have much hope for that in the first place...

A guy over at Shacknews said this. It's just classic.

By: lapskaus
So, Marvel VS EA.
That's brilliant, I can't wait to kick EA's ass again and again :)

[quote name='whoknows'][quote name='Tromack'][quote name='whoknows']The screenshots do look pretty impressive though.[/quote]

You don't actually believe that is what it is going to look like, right? Those are obviously concept screens.[/quote]

I'm talking about the comic screens :p[/quote]

Agreed'd. His artwork looks a lot better than from what I remember in the GI Joe/ Transformers series he did.

A few points...

-Second rate characters? Hope the same was said when MvC2 came out. We got such bright shining comic stars like Shuma Gorath, Blackheart, and Silver Samurai. Nevermind scraping the bottom of the Capcom character barrel (Servbot, Roll, Amingo, etc).

-Plenty of clones in MvC2 as well (already pointed out, but it bears repeating)

-Stan Lee doesn't run Marvel anymore. In fact, I believe he may be completely independent of them now. (started StanLee.net and also did some work for DC Comics)

As for the actual game, I'm reserving judgement.

[quote name='PsyClerk']A few points...

-Second rate characters? Hope the same was said when MvC2 came out. We got such bright shining comic stars like Shuma Gorath, Blackheart, and Silver Samurai. Nevermind scraping the bottom of the Capcom character barrel (Servbot, Roll, Amingo, etc).

-Plenty of clones in MvC2 as well (already pointed out, but it bears repeating)

-Stan Lee doesn't run Marvel anymore. In fact, I believe he may be completely independent of them now. (started StanLee.net and also did some work for DC Comics)

As for the actual game, I'm reserving judgement.[/quote]

he also sued Marvel not too long ago over all the comic book movies getting made, and him not getting paid

[quote name='radjago']When was the last time EA came up with some original IP? And I don't mean buying it or signing a publishing deal.[/quote]

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger?

the only thing I can say I like about this is that Jae Lee is working on it. I'm a hige fan of his art... but game looks whatever...

here's some of Jae Lee's art:

1jae.jpg

cap.jpg

[quote name='Socheata'][quote name='AlbinoNinja']wow! more than a dozen characters! incredibly impresssive! (MvsC2 had over 50, and no clones)[/quote]

Mega Man/Roll, Wolverine/Wolverine, War Machine/Iron Man, Charlie/Guile...[/quote]not to mention all those "shotokans"

bread's done
Back