CAGcast #223: Ginger Balls

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Wombat enters the DC Universe, Shipwreck reviews the HKS Racing Controller and a lot of other stuff must have happened too as we talked for 75 minutes. Tune in for the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]132[/podcast]
Download - 75 minutes, 45MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro & Outro - Tron soundtrack

notes coming soon!

Follow us on twitter
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Pacman mini carcade

[quote name='Wombat']FIRST!!!! doh, so close[/QUOTE]

Sorry Wombat. I'll gladly sell you my first post spot for $500 if you want. I think that's legal, right? At least it is in Chicago. Aw, heck. After what happened to your daughter I'll give it to you.

I'm only a few minutes into the podcast, but I'll pause to say thanks to you and Ship for turning me on to the Marvel pinball tables. There's nothing like swearing at your TV while trying to beat a supervillain by getting a little silver ball up a tiny virtual ramp to get in the holiday spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for mentioning me on the podcast, Wombat! I don't think my comment was jumping down your throat but I suppose you were speaking more to the other people who commented.

My attach rate for Kinect is 2, KInect Sports and Yourshape Fitness (or 3 if you include Kinect Adventures) and if that's all I ever get for Kinect, I'll be okay with that. My wife and friends absolutely love Kinect Sports (it's brought up a super competitve side in my wife - I'm glad she doesn't game more!) and i am getting a great at home workout with Yourshape.

I think there will be alot of interesting games coming out next year though, if all the hacks are any indication of what developers can do. But if not, I still feel it's 150 bucks well spent.

Wow Wombat, sorry to hear about your kid. That happened to my sister once; my mom actually witnessed the kid go up to my sister and bite her face. She said, similar to what you said, she wanted to whoop the kid's ass. She would never do that, and the kids mom came over the took care of it, but she was fuckIN' pissed.

I hope give/gave them hell when you went in and complained.

Why does CheapyD hate Kinect and motion gaming so much, yet loves shitty iPhone flash games? Both are the red-headed stepchild (sorry Shipwreck) to the traditional gaming master race.

Wombat - sorry to hear about Sabrina, but at that age it happens. My kids have come home from school several times with bite marks. It is standard procedure for the day care to not tell you who did it.

Just remember that next time it might be Sabrina biting some other kid. I guarantee that the biters parents feel awful.

Ive seen Crab claw machines in Jacksonville Florida.

Xmen Arcade is a lot better when playing 6 player coop. The single player demo doesn't do it justice.

Wombat, I was just listening to your DCUO talk and I think you should know that you're able to change the style of your clothes back to what you started with by going to the style menu to the right of your equipment screen in the menu and just changing the style allows you to keep the stats of your better armor, so you can mix and match to find your own Super Style.

Wombat people wouldn't care or comment on how you're always wrong if you didn't act so cocky when you talk about stuff like that

I suspect what will happen with Kinect is that there will be a lot of shovel ware. You have to remember that most top tier games on the 360 and PS3 have enormous budgets. You can look at games studios like Grin and now Bizarre Creations that went under because one or two games didn't sell. With shovelware, there is usually minimal budget, which means you don't really have to sell many to make money. Sooo, even with a minimal installed base, there is still incentive to make games for Kinect.

boo the lack of tweeting about this show. I could have this downloaded minutes ago. I had to find out via my podcast program. tsk tsk.

C'mon Cheapy....I know you would like to see a WEED machine. Imagine D6=Purple Nurple, A2=Diesel, C1=Northern Lights etc... Would that be effin great?!

And, I watched Ip Man on Netflix last night (undubbed). It was great I thought.

49 minutes into this show and I'm calling this the CAGcast of the year. Funny, immature and insightful. If my dad was to hear it, it would certainly cement you as the 'twerps' (as he so colloquialy calls you). :)

I must've heard Cheapy's prostate story over a dozen times and I still chuck everytime he tells it.

What is so funny about a grown, heterosexual man getting anally probed?

You tell me lol.

I'm inclined to agree with Wombat on the DCUO issue. I try not to let my fanboyism blind me to good stuff but it's a little frustrating to see one of my favorite IPs (DC) not achieve the level of success that Marvel has. Justice League Heroes didn't do as well as X-Men Legends or MUA. Outside of Batman (with that terrible terrible voice), and the DCAU (which upon reflection is a pretty big recent success) I can't think of any recent big name DC movies that have done well
here's hoping for Green Lantern to turn the tide
vs Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Hulk, Blade, Fantastic Four, and Ghost Rider. Anyway my point is that MMOs are complex beasts to create and maintain and if this fails. It just adds a bit of stink to the DC IP. The property is rich enough but, like any number of high school skater-boi, it's not reaching it's potential in my opinion.

[quote name='Toss']C'mon Cheapy....I know you would like to see a WEED machine. Imagine D6=Purple Nurple, A2=Diesel, C1=Northern Lights etc... Would that be effin great?!

And, I watched Ip Man on Netflix last night (undubbed). It was great I thought.[/QUOTE]and this is why in general admitting your get high is a bad idea on the internet. I think there might be a percentage of CAGs who think Cheapy has nothing on his brain but weed, and how long it's been since he's had any. You say it once, twice, three times and people will not let it go.

I had to pause while listening to the CAGcast and ask because it's been bothering me since March.

Why do Wombat and Cheapy say waiting "on line" when talking about waiting in a line? Whether talking about PAX East lines or lines to talk to Robin (DC Universe), Wombat is always complaining about waiting "on line." I think he sounds really odd saying it, then Cheapy parrots it back, making me feel like the crazy one.

Personally, I don't wait on top of a line. I stand in a line. If I were in England, I would wait in a queue.

Cheapy and Wombat, I'm calling you to task. What is your preposition disposition?

Also, stop pronouncing Mario wrong. Play Mario 64, Peach and Mario both say Mah-reo. Not Mair-eo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhadLMDWcGA) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pvnqCbG71M)

Sorry for the rant, just getting it off my chest. I love the CAGcast.

[quote name='shipwreck']HellsAttack, it's a regional thing. New Yorkers say Mario wrong and wait on line instead of in line.[/QUOTE]

And then assault your kneecaps with a baseball bat for making fun of their dialect.

I am curious to your opinion on this. When a company like Microsoft for example says they have sold 48 million XBOX 360's is that just the total number sold? That is not including how many of those people have had to purchase more than one unit or like me have 2 360's in their house. ( I have had 4 total myself in 5 years)

Not that everyone has multiple units but I just wonder if that is ever considered when they talk about the number of game units sold compared to the actual number of 360's they say have sold.

All that being said I am still in total agreement with Shipwreck's statement that Kinect is a one trick pony and they are cashing this Christmas while they can.

"I played it but I can't talk about it" is the most useless phrase in video game podcasts.

props to Shipwreck on this running skills. Do you run now or it is all a thing of the past?

the mario thing might be the oldest debate still on going in video games. And to be honest even when i cared enough to argue about it. I never bothered.

[quote name='peteyrose']Why does CheapyD hate Kinect and motion gaming so much, yet loves shitty iPhone flash games? Both are the red-headed stepchild (sorry Shipwreck) to the traditional gaming master race.[/QUOTE]

Good point...

Contests contests contests! Great show for me to drive 45 miles home in a snowstorm listening to. Kept my mind off of near death experience. Yay!

Shipwreck teh RUL3Z! Keep up the good podcast guys!

Hey Cheapy. I recently went to the doctor for a physical, and had to receive the dreaded finger up the ass. My doctor told me beforehand that he had recently read that the process is more bearable if you stand with your feet pointing inward. I tried this, and while it was still no walk in the park, it definitely made the process easier.

Just wanted to do my part to share knowledge that a guy can really use.

Thanks for the great show!

Not saying the Kinect is good or bad, but Wombat's theories about sales for Kinect games were way off base. By that logic, no one would release games for any new system. Yet at every console launch there's always a bunch of titles. Xbox doesn't expect any of those launch titles to sell millions of copies. The games didn't have the development budget of a CoD: Black Ops so don't need to sell 3 million copies to break even. They'll make a profit with low six digit sales.

[quote name='banodyne']Not saying the Kinect is good or bad, but Wombat's theories about sales for Kinect games were way off base. By that logic, no one would release games for any new system. Yet at every console launch there's always a bunch of titles. Xbox doesn't expect any of those launch titles to sell millions of copies. The games didn't have the development budget of a CoD: Black Ops so don't need to sell 3 million copies to break even. They'll make a profit with low six digit sales.[/QUOTE]

Kinect isnt a new system, it is a peripheral. How many new games came out in 2010 for the Wii Balance board? and that has sold more then Kinect. My point stands.

[quote name='banodyne'] The games didn't have the development budget of a CoD: Black Ops so don't need to sell 3 million copies to break even.[/QUOTE]
I lol'd... I doubt it took them a lot for the multiplayer side... just basically MW2 with treyarch's graphics and lil modded stuff. But I'm not Activision's financial person, so I wouldn't know for sure...

[quote name='banodyne']Not saying the Kinect is good or bad, but Wombat's theories about sales for Kinect games were way off base. By that logic, no one would release games for any new system. Yet at every console launch there's always a bunch of titles. Xbox doesn't expect any of those launch titles to sell millions of copies. The games didn't have the development budget of a CoD: Black Ops so don't need to sell 3 million copies to break even. They'll make a profit with low six digit sales.[/QUOTE]yeah you're missing the point. Wombat wasn't wrong. it's like the Wii. Every Wii owner has a wiimote and nunchuck. So if you make a motion game for the Wii every Wii owner can play it. Only part of the Wii owners have WiiFit.

When Shipwreck mentioned that all the weapons in Resistance are "Old", that may have been the dumbest thing I have ever heard him say. Sure they are weapons in that World War II time frame; however, they also have the Chimera weapons wich are the most unique weapons I have seen in a FPS to date. Shipwreck can also argue that he hates all those "Old" weapons in Halo. Its a FPS and every FPS that I have played consists of "Old" weapons. What consists of "Old" anything that fires bullets? If thats the case take out all the UNSC and Spartan weapons from Halo and just use the shitty Elite weapons.....Why are those damn Spartans still using Machine Guns and Assault Rifles anyways in the 26th Century?

oh yes I wanted to ask about that. Does it really matter what the weapons are in an FPS?

from a functional standpoint how often do they change?
The needler was the most unique weapon in Halo but noone ever used it and I was always laughed at when I did
In every FPS don't they have basically the same set. An assault riffle of some sort. maybe a quicker or more scoped version, the sniper riffle, the shotgun, the pistol, the rocket/rpg launcher. It's always the same that i've seen. Even if the weapons are from the Great War or the stone age as long as they function the same does it matter what their 'skin' is? It's not as if when you play with Civil War era 'assault riffle' it jams like the real thing.

I think it depends on how you're playing the game. If you're somewhat casual about it then you probably want many different types weapons to play around with, and you want variety so you're not always looking at the same thing.

If you're playing it competitively then you probably don't give a shit what the guns look like as long as they perform and are balanced.

no variety is something different. I fully understand if your complaint is that there's ONLY 5 types of guns (1 riffle,1 pistol, 1 shotgun, 1 rocket, 1 sniper) and THAT's it. that's pretty sparse. My point was that it doesn't matter if they're 'futureweapons' or stones and slings. From a functional standpoint they're all the same. and if the gameplay is tight it shouldn't matter if they're civil war guns, modern guns or future guns. casual or competitive.

I am sorry but this episode was not funny. I will give the show another try next week but my enthusiasm for this podcast is waining.

Love you guys, been listening for over two years now. Just to comment on the Child's Play charity, does it only run during the holiday season? I hate to say that the guys over at Gamers Network stole your thunder with Extra Life (which raised a HUGE amount of money), but that may be the case. Personally, I have donated to a handful of charities this season already, but will throw a few bucks towards Child's Play. Cheapy, I didn't like you referring to $5 donators as "assholes", but I'll chalk it up you being frustrated. My husband and I do what we can with our limited means. Anyway, happy holidays to all!

bread's done
Back