Homefront

Soodmeg

CAGiversary!
Anyone looking out for this title March 8th? Seems pretty good and has dedicated servers that are games up to 32 players to boot. Trailers and some general info below.

The year is 2027. The world has suffered a decade-long energy crisis, and economies have crumbled. Reduced to a mere shadow of the super power it once was, the United States became the target of a North Korean takeover. American malls, suburbs and city streets are now battlegrounds as the civilian resistance fights for freedom. Featuring a compelling single player story crafted by John Milius (Apocalypse Now, Red Dawn), Homefront immerses gamers in an interactive and cinematic FPS experience where they will assume an infantry role or take command of a wide variety of aerial and ground vehicles. In addition to the single-player experience, Homefront will deliver a robust multiplayer experience. In a land stripped of freedom, the brave will fight for their home.
Offical Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzqx-lDoCr8&feature=player_embedded

MP Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56hvLvk48mM&feature=related

MP Dev Dairy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3ysQ5xSvI&feature=player_embedded

Gamestop Stage Demo. Contains footage and explanation of SP experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVB2Tto9RW8

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Frontlines: Fuel of War, so I preordered this once I heard they were making it. I just wish I could get into the damn beta already for it!

All of that MP trailer was from a game that was being played. It was just shown in 3rd person.

But I will add another trailer to the OP just to help.

I think I'll go pop in Frontlines now just to get back into the game. I hope there is still a multiplayer experience and not dead.

It's good to see that I'm not the only one who liked Frontlines. I thought it was a great game and was kinda pissed that none of my friends gave it a chance. Homefront looks like it's going to be a blast.

i am interested, and thats rare.

i might be the only one hearing this but im getting tired of people calling it a freedom fighters ripoff

Frontlines was awful and the previews I've read for this have said the shooting and AI are awful. Plus the graphics are bland. I'd be more excited if a second rate studio wasn't making it.

[quote name='slickkill77']Frontlines was awful and the previews I've read for this have said the shooting and AI are awful. Plus the graphics are bland. I'd be more excited if a second rate studio wasn't making it.[/QUOTE]

Different strokes for different folks.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I don't think we will ever have a game like Freedom Fighters again. :([/QUOTE]

Seriously. Freedom Fighters is easily one of my favorite games of all time. The fact that no one has so much as hinted at a sequel yet that ungodly awful "Two Worlds" get's one is pathetic.

yeah cant wait for it to come out since its the day before my bday. i also got accepted into the beta so i will see how fun it is. i also loved frontlines, my uncle and i used to play that nonstop.

Yea. Frontlines was a good game that no one played. It had its rough spots but it was damn fun. I cant wait for it com out.

Saw a TV ad for this the other day. The graphics seemed kinda crappy. Like the character models looked as though they were zoomed in RTS units or something.

That is very true, I noticed that also. I am hoping the graphics are toned down to support the 32 players. If that is the case than tone those mofo down.

If you get the gameplay right then I couldnt care less about how the graphics look as long as they are humanoid. 32 players, tanks, aircraft, drones, objective based. If you get 3/4 of these things right than I am in.

Another video in OP, explains SP and back story. Seems solid, although I agree the graphics are subpar and I really hope its because those resources were focused elsewhere.

I think this ones going to be a sleeper hit, I know alot of friends are waiting for it to come out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/homefront-single-player-preview/

"The world may feel real, but the weapons do not. Many of the subtle advancements made by games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and even Killzone are missing here. The weapons lack weight and handle like toys. Bullets don't penetrate cover, and you or your enemies can hide behind thin wooden planks without fear. The movement system is antiquated, as well: there's no cover system, no lean-and-peek maneuver and no ability to rush to a prone position. Homefront plays less like a modern shooter, and more like a PS2-era relic."

"The set pieces aren't particularly interesting, either, revealing an overly scripted AI that replaces any organic fun of virtual battle with easily predictable patterns. In one section, all I did was crouch in the corner of a room, as enemies entered one at a time. I mowed them down as they continuously streamed headfirst into the room, ignorant of this entrance's obvious tactical shortcoming."

This game is going to be a massive let down for a lot of people. It seems like its going to be Metro 2033. A game you want to love but its going to mediocre.

[quote name='slickkill77']This game is going to be a massive let down for a lot of people. It seems like its going to be Metro 2033. A game you want to love but its going to mediocre.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts.

Although I am not going to discount their preview (reading it now) but I did raise an eyebrow to the blurp slick posted especially since they mention MoH by name and I was under the impression that the MP in it was a flop by most people standards. Will read and recomment later.

--Lean in Peak? What game has that been a staple in other than Tom Clancy games?

--The weapons handle like toys is a bit concerning but I can get over it quickly if they preform like actual guns. (How about having to actually aim them and if you have a SMG it only has the range of a SMG..looking at you COD!)

--Is not having a cover system a bad thing? None of the games in which they mention has a cover system. (Unless they mean the simple act of standing behind cover.)

--Bullet pen is welcome but I am not going to cry over it if its not in there. (I dont remember it being in MOH)

--I have no idea what rush to prone even means so I cant comment.

EDIT: Just finished that preview and not to sound like a overzealous fanboy god knows we hate those guys but damn it was confusing as hell to me also when did people other than me start caring about a FPS SP? He talks about how the story is interesting but then just list of common things the game doesnt contain. Although its concerning if the AI is really stupid (although its hard to find a FPS were the AI isnt stupid)

Its very hard to learn exactly what reviews and previews mean because of their ability to let the same flaw slide in some games. Is the AI worse than BFBC 1? Are the set pieces worse that CODBO? I need a little more. But I do wish they would have knocked it out of the park. Lets hope the MP preview will be more promising.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually *only* care about the single player campaign. Admittedly, I dont care too much for FPS games in general, but I dont need any more multiplayer than I already have with Battlefield 1943/Bad Company 2. The commercial I saw, setting up the premise of a Korean occupied USA is the only thing that caught my eye. I would love to see one of these games play out well.

Like my favorite part in Modern Warfare 2 was when the war had hit the suburbs and you were fighting in the bank/burger joint. That type of 'set piece' is interesting to me. I was equally excited by the previous game Turning Point: Fall of Liberty because it had a similar set up. Unfortunately, the reviews basically said the game was broken so I passed. I'm still up for that sentiment though so I hold out hope for Homefront.

*fingers crossed*

[quote name='hostyl1']I actually *only* care about the single player campaign. Admittedly, I dont care too much for FPS games in general, but I dont need any more multiplayer than I already have with Battlefield 1943/Bad Company 2. The commercial I saw, setting up the premise of a Korean occupied USA is the only thing that caught my eye. I would love to see one of these games play out well.

Like my favorite part in Modern Warfare 2 was when the war had hit the suburbs and you were fighting in the bank/burger joint. That type of 'set piece' is interesting to me. I was equally excited by the previous game Turning Point: Fall of Liberty because it had a similar set up. Unfortunately, the reviews basically said the game was broken so I passed. I'm still up for that sentiment though so I hold out hope for Homefront.

*fingers crossed*[/QUOTE]

DUDE! Turning Point Fall of Liberty was epic in its failure on all front. I am about the only person who has played through and got most of the cheesemints. (During the summer I make it a point to rent as many of the non mainstream games out that year.) I had a chance to play that little gem. It cant be summed up how hilarious it was to go through.

I really hope they put out a demo before it releases so that people can get a chance to form an opinion for themselves instead of relying on reviews.

"For 32 players, you have to have dedicated servers, or else it would be unplayable," says community manager Jeremy Greiner. "When you play Xbox Live where it's 12 to maybe 16 players max, where it's just one of the players hosting it, it can still get pretty darn laggy. So it's a necessity in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we want. We're committed to setting up server farms all around the world so that everyone has good ping, low latency and gets rid of that awful host advantage.
"So, dedicated servers are hugely important and in order to deliver the multiplayer experience we're looking for with vehicle, air strikes, drones, infantry, air-to-air and air-to-ground combat, all on really large maps, it's the only way to do it."

Now this is what I want to hear from a company. This is worth price right there, dedicated servers can turn a average game into a great one with the dozens of things you dont have to deal with.

Bad Company has 24 and there's no lag. They are basically making Frontlines again with 18 less people. These guys should of just stuck to making Battlefield mods.

Anyone looking out for this title March 8th? Seems pretty good and has dictated servers that are games up to 32 players to boot. Trailers and some general info below.
Sounds awesome OP, cant wait for those new-fangled dictated servers either! :bouncy:

Do they dictate to all 32 players at once? :shock:

/jk/ Hehe, I know what you mean though. May want to change that little bit to "dedicated", it will work better :p

BTW, the game sounds interesting. Not very plausible, but who knows. It definitely seems like it has some thought put into it and more of a story than some of the crap they pass off as a game now a days... We will see.

Game looks like its going to be something in between BF2 and Call Of Duty. What do you all think about it? Im pretty sold on the idea that its going to take away from the Black Ops but I could be wrong...what do you all think?

[quote name='vlad86']Game looks like its going to be something in between BF2 and Call Of Duty. What do you all think about it? Im pretty sold on the idea that its going to take away from the Black Ops but I could be wrong...what do you all think?[/QUOTE]

It looks interesting and I plan to get it but it def wont take people from Call of Duty for more than a couple days.

From the thread we have on Homefront already...
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282448&highlight=homefront

[quote name='slickkill77']http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/homefront-single-player-preview/

"The world may feel real, but the weapons do not. Many of the subtle advancements made by games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and even Killzone are missing here. The weapons lack weight and handle like toys. Bullets don't penetrate cover, and you or your enemies can hide behind thin wooden planks without fear. The movement system is antiquated, as well: there's no cover system, no lean-and-peek maneuver and no ability to rush to a prone position. Homefront plays less like a modern shooter, and more like a PS2-era relic."

"The set pieces aren't particularly interesting, either, revealing an overly scripted AI that replaces any organic fun of virtual battle with easily predictable patterns. In one section, all I did was crouch in the corner of a room, as enemies entered one at a time. I mowed them down as they continuously streamed headfirst into the room, ignorant of this entrance's obvious tactical shortcoming."

This game is going to be a massive let down for a lot of people. It seems like its going to be Metro 2033. A game you want to love but its going to mediocre.[/QUOTE]

Granted that was written back in December, but I am very convinced that this one is going to bomb.

It's going to have to be really good to pull people away from CoD, Halo and Battlefield.

I just don't see that happening and this will probably be DOA.

Seanr@ Ive owned just about every shooter thats been popular......From what Ive seen this game has had a lot of time put into it and it looks real promising. I already traded in my battlefield2 ...Vietnam was a joke of an add on!!! and Halo well...common man if you bought Halo: Reach you know just got conned into buying Halo 3 with a few little things here and there ;) but I feel you about DOA cause I remember Frontlines: Fuel of war and oooooooooooo man...that game looked sweet till I popped it into my Xbox and took it out a couple mins later and ran to gamestop to trade it in (Man was I pissed!!!) but anyways have high hopes man! Theyve put a lot of time into this game...Ive been watching it for a year now...maybe longer! plus theyve put a lot of money in advertising for it as well

On the fence. The previews thus far aren't too impressive beyond what could be a good story. I plan to wait on the reviews before making a leap.

As for Call of Duty/Halo/BF, you will find it hard for any FPS IP to pull away those users.

I have tempered expectations for this game, I really want it to be great but I'm just not sure how it's going to turn out. I like the story (what I know of it at least) and the MP looks different enough to be intriguing to me. I am really curious to see reviews for this, normally I don't use reviews to 100% decide on a game but this one I might just do that.

bread's done
Back