Reccomend Kindle Accessories?

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
Like many, I'm sure, I got a brand new Kindle for Christmas. For you long time Kindle owners, what are some accessories that you have that you would say are worth purchasing?

I know I want to get a case for it. Is the screen pretty scratch resistant on its own? I want to bring it to work but I'm a little worried about throwing it in a briefcase.

The screen is relatively scratch resistant. I wouldn't recommend using a scratch resistant cover since they create glare. I would recommend getting a case for it. These guys make some of the nicest kindle cases (very pricey but keep an eye out for them when they go on sale). Additionally, you might want to invest in a reading light if you don't already have one. That's about it.

I second the above post regarding covers from Oberon Design. My mom has had one for awhile for her Kindle and I ordered one last night as a Christmas present. They are meticulously crafted works of art produced by a 2nd generation family business and I can't recommend them enough.

For slightly less pricey options, medgestore.com offers a wide variety of Kindle cases and accessories that might fit your needs. Best of luck!

[quote name='kill3r7']The screen is relatively scratch resistant. I wouldn't recommend using a scratch resistant cover since they create glare. I would recommend getting a case for it. These guys make some of the nicest kindle cases (very pricey but keep an eye out for them when they go on sale). Additionally, you might want to invest in a reading light if you don't already have one. That's about it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, those are beautiful. I think I may spring for one...they are only about $20 - $30 more than a 'normal' one.

The problem with the official covers is only with the $35 non-lighted one. I had the issue, and called amazon cs, and they basically gave me the $60 lit one to make up for it. Credited my account for the $35 one, and gave me a $25 credit for my trouble.

Having said that, I really liked both covers, and find that this is the only accessory you would need. Don't mess with the screen.

Also, welcome to the Kindle club, I've been using an e-reader for a year now, and really love it. Theres also some cool free game apps for kindle, and a few $4 ones like scrabble, monopoly, etc.

Enjoy.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Wow, those are beautiful. I think I may spring for one...they are only about $20 - $30 more than a 'normal' one.[/QUOTE]

Yes they are. These cases have that old school book/journal feel to them. They make the Kindle look and feel like a real book.

Welcome to the Kindle club. You'll love it.

P.S. if you decide down the road to pick up a reading light I would recommend the Kandle. They're usually on sale just about every month on amazon for about $5 a pop. Keep an eye out on slickdeals.

I too got a new Kindle for Christmas and it's really awesome. The CAG in me spent my first hour or so playing with it just downloading free books. I was about to order one of the official Amazon covers with the light, but am worried of course. Is it a definite that the cover with the light won't cause this freeze/reboot issue?

[quote name='gaelan']i got one of the official covers. no problems. how the hell can a cover cause it to freeze?[/QUOTE]
spoke too soon. last night it started freezing and rebooting. i have the official amazon leather cover. this is my experience...

i called amazon reported the problem. they immediately said to chunk the cover and they were issuing a credit/refund for 59.99. my cover was 34.99. intent is to give you enough to cover the cost of the amazon lighted cover.

they said developers were aware of problem and they apologized. i was amazed that it was so obvious once i took the kindle out of the cover...night and day difference.

overall, i'm pleased with their service and response to this problem.

Kind of a do it yourself thing. It has worked for me for about four months now, turns a lot of heads at work when I pull it out too.
34716_164235000259003_100000175124219_598958_2055254_n.jpg

My father-in-law just got a kindle for Christmas. Knowing this in advance, I got him a Built neoprene slipcover to put it in when its not in use or when traveling. In my opinion, the Kindle is such a nicely made thin piece of hardware that just feels good in your hands - I can't understand why people purchase Amazon's official case or any other that hides the sleek designed device behind excess cumbersome material.

... and I understand the benefits of having a light, but he is not one to read in bed, so that point is seemingly moot.

Enjoy your Kindle, Mr Unoriginal.

I have the lighted official Kindle cover and I really like it. I haven't had any issues with freezing, but as stated above, it seems to be happening only with the unlighted cover.

I loved the M-Edge Go! case for my Kindle 2.

I just ordered myself a Kindle 3 (passed the K2 onto my Dad). I ordered the K3 Go! case for it--reviews say it's not quite as good (not real leather anymore etc.). I'll have it tomorrow and post some thoughts on it.

The Oberon covers are nice, but a bit pricey and heavy for my liking.

Another good accessory is a clip on book light. M-Edge has one that fits in a slot on most of their cases, but any clip on book light will work as you can just clip it on the case. I have a cheap Mighty Bright one I got for $6 or something at Borders a while back.

bread's done
Back