I need some honest help here please.

ShirtSizeXXXLXT

CAGiversary!
I received a 250gb XBOX 360 Slim console for Christmas from my girlfriend. It includes Forza 3 and a download code for the full game of Alan Wake. The problem is, I already own the old 360 Elite 120gb and still have over 60gb's available on it. She knows that I already have a 360, but says she wanted me to have the nice new shiny system, and wants it to match the new Kinect my ol' college buddies got for me. I'll be honest, I really don't feel I need a new system. The one I have works perfectly fine, and I still have lots of storage space on it. I bought the Elite way back in '05 I believe. I paid full price for it, and seem to recall dropping just about $470.00 for it. I politely mentioned to her that I might want to return the system and she got really upset and started getting teary eyed. She tried making me feel guilty for not wanting her present and it pissed me off. Her aunt flo is visiting this week so she's all emotional and shit.
Should I keep this unneeded new system? Or should I return it and wait for my current Elite to die? I know I could try to sell it, but I looked on ebay and the prices for a used Elite aren't really all that high.
Anyone know what Gamestop will give me for an Elite with a 120gb hard drive?
Is the new Slim 360 all that it's cracked up to be? Is there any red ringing going on with it?
What would you fellow geeks do? I just feel like I've spent so much on my Elite, it feels really weird to replace it before it is even dead.

my elite RR on me and i picked upt he slim at costco. its kinda nice with the touch buttons and is considerably quieter than the older model.

If you could, i'd keep both of them. make everyone happy. :) Put one in another room or something. you'll have to put your profile on a USB stick (old mem card don't work anymore), but its not that big a deal.

btw, your gf is quite generous. that is a very nice present.

Honestly, kind of a dick move on your part. I could see returning it if it was someone else but your girlfriend. A $300 present is pretty generous. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I would definitely take the new slim and sell off the Elite. The slim is nicer, smaller, much much quieter, uses less power, has more space, wifi, and has some ports your Elite model doesn't. I appreciate it for the reduction in noise alone. Probably only a matter of time before your Elite red rings as well and then it'll be worth even less. And with the new slim you'll have a warranty again (unless you have an extended one on the Elite).

Someone buys you a $300 present and you think about returning it? I know this site's called cheapassgamer, but you have to draw the line when someone is fond enough of you to drop that kind of cash on a gift.

Keep it. Figure out something else to do with the console you have now.

You should change the question on the poll... I voted No, but if you've written "Should I replace my perfectly working 360 Elite with the new Slim 360 my girlfriend gifted me?" I'd have voted YES. Why do you even ask here? Do you want her to ask herself "Should I keep this ungrateful old boyfriend"?

Also, you'll have to work hard to get money. Sell it on ebay, you'll get more than Gamestop.

transfer everything over to the new system and get what you can out of the old one. If it's an old elite is probably not going to last much longer anyways, get what you can for it and everyone's happy.

Keep it. Give the old one to her, trade it for games, keep it as a backup or for LAN gaming if your setup allows.

Women like new shiny things.

Hope you got her something shiny too.

Alright guys, I've decided to keep the new one. I really do appreciate the advice and suggestions. Just for the record we both agreed on a $300 limit this year. (which I went well over this year) I was planning on buying her an ipad, but she insisted that she wanted a black Wii with pink remotes lol. We aren't kids here, we are in our late 20's and both have great jobs. I am far from ungrateful for anything I have in my life, even though it may have come across that way in my original post. In fact, half of my issue is that I cherish and take care of the stuff I have so much, that I have difficulty replacing things like this. Thank you again guys. Have a great new year!

bread's done
Back