2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Giant homers come out in full swing. :razz:

Better them than the Phillies though. Sadly a lock for the NL East unless some miracle happens.

As for actual news, read in the paper last night that it appears Derrek Lee is heading to the Orioles.

Not an original pick but I don't see how the World Series isn't Red Sox vs. Phillies. Should be a great series.

Going on a super longshot, but Red Sox vs Giants WS, Giants in 6 and we get to hear how the Phillies were in a slump but deserve to be in the WS again.

[quote name='Brownjohn']The rangers will win the AL west again because Seattle and LA have done fuck all. That's coming from an Angels fan.[/QUOTE]

oakland ftw

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5984163

Looks like the Rangers are going to nab Beltre. I guess that means that Young is either going to move to first or DH. I hate that they have to move Young again, but Beltre should help solidify that defense and he plays in a park he can hit out of. I know he sucked in Seattle, but if he can play good defense and produce timely offense it is a good gamble. That said, they still are going to pay him way too much money. This offseason has been way out of line with they way it should be as far as contracts go.

Dodgers are shit. Damned divorce is killing our ability to make moves. Tough to see anyone out of the NL other than the Phils.

My bold prediction: The Giants miss the playoffs. Torres and Kung Fu Fatass regress, Posey improves to become a bona fide superstar, but they don't hit enough over the course of a season to get it done.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Alomar and Blyleven get the call.[/QUOTE]

And McGwire, Palmeiro, and Bagwell didn't. I think we know how 'roiders are going to be voted on now. Personally, if they have the right numbers for the Hall, they should eventually be voted in maybe 5 or 10 years down the line.

I don't think steroids is the whole issue. It's the era. Yes, the era was obviously influenced a lot by steroids, but also by watered-down pitching staffs and small ballparks. Even before the accusations of steroid usage came upon Palmeiro, there was plenty of talk of whether or not he belonged in the Hall. Yeah, he has a ton of numbers, but did anyone ever look at him as a dominant player of the era? Was he a legendary player?

I don't mind if steroid users get into the Hall, but those that probably wouldn't have got there without usage should definitely be looked upon differently.

Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez, for example, would have been Hall of Fame players, no matter what. Both have worlds of talent, and in the case of Bonds, he was a Hall of Famer before he allegedly took steroids. He already had multiple MVP awards and great numbers. I do hope that such guys don't go first ballot, though. Being a first ballot HoF is the highest honor in baseball, and they should not receive it.

McGwire, on the other hand, was probably not going to be a Hall of Famer caliber player. Maybe, he would have been a fringe guy, like a Dave Kingman. And that's only if he would have gotten healthy, which he might not have done without steroids. The voters have definitely taken that into consideration, seeing as his vote totals actually continue to decrease. If this was all about steroids, you would probably see his numbers slowly increase. I really don't think he will ever again, and that's the right thing, at least not via the writers. He might get some sympathy down the road.

For me the one thing that puts Palmeiro above someone like McGwire and Bagwell is the consistency factor. He may not have the most flashy stats or have been the best player on his team, but he played almost 150 games every year, hit close to 90 RBI's almost every season, and had a substantial streak of 30+ HR's.

Also while I don't buy his story 100 percent, everyone ignores that Tejada was found out to be a dirty player. He may have thrown his teammate under the bus, but when all is said and done the person he threw under the bus pleaded guilty for using performance enhancing drugs. It might just have been blind luck, but it isn't like he pinned his bad test on someone who has turned out to be clean.

I want my baseball back, I don't get to watch my Hockey team where I live, since they're located in Tampa Bay. Football is over, but I think I've watched less Football this year than probably ever, because the 49ers are just painful, and lets not even talk about the Sacramento Kings...

I want to see that sweet swing of Buster Posey, a most likely beardless Brian Wilson, and Lincecum's wild delivery. I also want to see Renteria get hurt in the first month with the Reds, Uribe fail as a Dodger, on a side note Giants and Dodgers are starting the season this year on Thursday March 31st on ESPN.

I have a question, does anyone else visit MLBtraderumors.com everyday just to get baseball news and read baseball discussions?

Yankees sign Rafael Soriano to 3-year deal. I was ready to call this offseason the worst in the Cashman era, but this helps the Yanks a lot.

This signing makes me think that the Yankees have no intention of making any kind of move for a starter and will give Joba yet another shot at cracking the rotation.

There really isn't anything out there, unless a team wants to take chances on some injury-cases. The "best" pitchers left are Pavano and Pettitte, and obviously, we know the situation with Andy. Considering the current state of the Yankee starting staff, though, you would think they might have to pull the trigger on a trade, because right now, it's a mess outside of CC.

I read that they may give Brackman a shot at the rotation and see how it goes. As a fellow NCSU alum I hope he does get a chance to succeed on that level (except when he plays the Rangers).

The Yankees stuck real firm to that declaration that they weren't paying closer money for setup guys. Only 3/$35m for a setup man? What a bargain.

Does money matter to the Yankees? Man, Soriano will be a huge salary hit for 3 years. Yankees don't have money, how could they pay him ~$12m a year? :roll:

If you can get the saves leader from last year, you get him.

[quote name='dafoomie']The Yankees stuck real firm to that declaration that they weren't paying closer money for setup guys. Only 3/$35m for a setup man? What a bargain.[/QUOTE]

Wahhh. That's hilarious coming from a fan of the team who just picked up Crawford and Gonzalez. Soriano will be the closer in the final year of this deal anyway, as I really don't see Mo playing for more than 2 years. This literally was a SETUP deal. Set up to be Rivera's successor.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wahhh. That's hilarious coming from a fan of the team who just picked up Crawford and Gonzalez. Soriano will be the closer in the final year of this deal anyway, as I really don't see Mo playing for more than 2 years. This literally was a SETUP deal. Set up to be Rivera's successor.[/QUOTE]
I'm not complaining, if you've got money, go spend it. I just found Cashman's approach this year to be silly... He tried to take a super hard line on Jeter and he said he wouldn't pay closer money for a setup man. What do the Yankees care about that nickel dime bullshit?

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm not complaining, if you've got money, go spend it. I just found Cashman's approach this year to be silly... He tried to take a super hard line on Jeter and he said he wouldn't pay closer money for a setup man. What do the Yankees care about that nickel dime bullshit?[/QUOTE]

Who knows. Maybe it talked Boras down from 3 years/$48 million. In the end, it's all posturing anyway. What I HATE about the deal is the damn opt out clauses after both of the first two years. I don't know why any team would ever give player options like that. It's like an invitation for the player to completely screw you no matter what happens.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Who knows. Maybe it talked Boras down from 3 years/$48 million. In the end, it's all posturing anyway. What I HATE about the deal is the damn opt out clauses after both of the first two years. I don't know why any team would ever give player options like that. It's like an invitation for the player to completely screw you no matter what happens.[/QUOTE]
Out clauses are always lose-lose. If he sucks, he'll stay. If he feels like Rivera will be there and he wants to close, he'll opt out. And if Rivera retires and they want him to close, he'll opt out and negotiate a raise.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Who knows. Maybe it talked Boras down from 3 years/$48 million. In the end, it's all posturing anyway. What I HATE about the deal is the damn opt out clauses after both of the first two years. I don't know why any team would ever give player options like that. It's like an invitation for the player to completely screw you no matter what happens.[/QUOTE]

It's probably what you said. He wanted more money, the opt out after 2 was a compromise so he can get paid more if he plays well.

Rather than give him more money now, give him a bit less with an option after 2 years.

[quote name='dafoomie']Nice to hear that Beltre got his money, he had a really good season.[/QUOTE]

explain this contract to me please, being a hockey fan I laughed my ass off when I saw (a) his age and (b) how long the deal is for

[quote name='CaseyRyback']So it's Renteria's fault that he didn't want to play for jack shit?[/QUOTE]

It's more of he will get hurt, look at his last couple of seasons, he has absolutely no durability. I personally didn't want him on the Giants this year either way, sure he helped us out in the World Series, but in the long run we'll be fine without him.

I thought there was something strange about the Yankees paying Soriano all that money after Cashman publicly said they wouldn't... Hal Steinbrenner overruled him. It all makes sense now.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']explain this contract to me please, being a hockey fan I laughed my ass off when I saw (a) his age and (b) how long the deal is for[/QUOTE]
Its baseball. Texas had lost out on Lee, had money to spend and couldn't justify not spending it. They probably overpaid by about 20% and gave him two years too many but Boras is the master of exploiting those situations, the Angels wanted him but didn't want to overpay, and Oakland was offering good money but he didn't want to play for a shitty team.

I'd be curious about the Rivera portion of that trade. Good player, sure, but damn is he injury prone half the time it seems.

[quote name='Beatofficer']I can't believe AA pulled that off in Toronto, Wells for Napoli and Rivera, I wonder how pissed Angels fans are?[/QUOTE]

If the Jays pay some of his contract, it's not the worst thing in the world. I will miss Napoli though.

[quote name='lakers310']If the Jays pay some of his contract, it's not the worst thing in the world. I will miss Napoli though.[/QUOTE]

the Jays are not paying the Angels any money

I...uh...cannot even begin to understand how the Jays got anyone to actually take Wells and his entire contract off their hands. Anthopoulos is already the executive of the year, no matter what the Blue Jays do during the season.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Andy Pettitte to retire. The Yankees are so fucked.[/QUOTE]

They actually have a legitimate reason to give away their farm team for a top starting pitcher at the trading deadline (or even before).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back