- - - - -

Can you get banned from Gamestop trading in multiple copies?

#31 freeorelse   Not in the Sandbox! CAGiversary!   1009 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

freeorelse

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

I have traded in over 100 hdmi cables so far . Most of them before the value dropped (It was $5.25 for a long time...$5.77 after edge). Got a Wii and 2 Xbox 360slims from all the credit.

#32 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

I work for the company...No prompt will ever come up. Its total YMMV district by distruct, store by store. Just be nice, and do it when it isn't busy and they shouldn't care.

Apparently it wasn't even the DM that banned me, it supposedly came from ABOVE him.:shock: I guess someone at corporate must pay attention to the trading habits of customers a bit.:cry:

As for being nice, I'm nice when they are, but if I feel they're being jerks then I do the survey on the receipt when I get home and give them all 1's. If they really tick me off then I might make and immediately cancel a pre-order just to f with their numbers.:evil:

#33 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22425 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

I've traded multiple copies before without a problem. What I think will be a problem is when I go to return the transfer cable I just bought. It is a one-time use item (I'll never need it again) and the box has no shrink wrap or anything - you can open it up, use the cable and put it back and it looks EXACTLY like it did when I bought it. I'm most likely going to trade it in for $7 in store credit due to my stupid conscience but I can't help but feel ripped off.

#34 io   ... Super Moderators   24779 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

I've traded multiple copies before without a problem. What I think will be a problem is when I go to return the transfer cable I just bought. It is a one-time use item (I'll never need it again) and the box has no shrink wrap or anything - you can open it up, use the cable and put it back and it looks EXACTLY like it did when I bought it. I'm most likely going to trade it in for $7 in store credit due to my stupid conscience but I can't help but feel ripped off.

I had a question about these things. I bought one when I got a new Slim for my son's birthday. My original plan was to transfer everything over to the new system and use that as the "main" one while keeping the older one to use in a different room. I didnt know, though, that it literally transferred stuff - ie, actually removed it from the older system. That sucks beyond belief. I just wanted to copy everything over there so that I could use either system (with my profile that purchased all of it). So I ended up returning my transfer cable, unused, to the store I got it from. It also came to my attention that you could just use a flash drive to transfer stuff. So, my question is, what is the use of the transfer cable anyway? For me, it would be useful only if it could provide a backup of my old HD. But since it wipes that clean when used, it seems useless to me. I suppose if your old system died completely (but the HD still worked) then it would be useful for moving everything at once to the new one. Anyway, off-topic I know, but I never saw this fully explained anywhere before and I had looked around quite a bit. In the short term, I'm actually just keeping most stuff on the old system. The newer system is for Kinect stuff and a few arcade games I've downloaded. I kind of don't like having my content spread around like that, but the way MS makes it that is the way it has to be. FWIW, the PS3 is 100x better in this regard so score about 100 points there for Sony...

Are you still trying to insinuate that I was a bit 'douchey' and that's how I got banned? :booty:I was nothing but nice to the employees who were nice and took multiples without question, but to the people who were like 'we can only take X of an item and no more' I asked for a cash trade and took the money and ran.:D

Well, IATCG, I don't dislike you as some on this board do ;). But still, man, you had to realize that no matter how nice and friendly you were and no matter how many cables some GS clerks let you trade, you were pushing it beyond the limits of reason there.

I felt like I abused the hell out of HDMI cable trade-ins, but it is all a matter of degree. My "abuse the hell out of" consisted of 4 cables total - 1 each to 4 separate stores. I didn't feel like doing any more than that was worth the potential for a ban. You clearly felt otherwise ;). You really shouldn't be surprised by the outcome, despite the fact that a few others may have gotten away with more.

#35 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Well, IATCG, I don't dislike you as some on this board do ;). But still, man, you had to realize that no matter how nice and friendly you were and no matter how many cables some GS clerks let you trade, you were pushing it beyond the limits of reason there.

I felt like I abused the hell out of HDMI cable trade-ins, but it is all a matter of degree. My "abuse the hell out of" consisted of 4 cables total - 1 each to 4 separate stores. I didn't feel like doing any more than that was worth the potential for a ban. You clearly felt otherwise ;). You really shouldn't be surprised by the outcome, despite the fact that a few others may have gotten away with more.

I did what any flipper should NOT do, which is panic that the items I'm attempting to make money/credit on will soon be worthless and try to trade in everything as quickly as possible.

Then again, I did wait until AFTER the TIV dipped to $4 from $5.25 to finally get in on the HDMI gravy train, so I waited seemingly forever to try out that flip.

But the clerks at the closest store to me seemed to be 100% ok with the trading of multiples. Then again that was only because the manager there was allowing it. I think I only had one or two clerks make a comment or give me the 'you can only trade in 2-3 at most' spiel and of those the one clerk/manager was at the store that's their DM's office.:-# I think that was the only one I was actually a bit rude at and got a bit annoyed with, since normally that store was super lenient like the closest one.

I believe that was the one right before I found out about the ban that I just took cash(all of $7) for the two cables they were 'graciously allowing me' to trade in:roll:.

I just still find it funny that at least several other CAG's have managed to get away with 100+ cables and I got banned for less than 50.:cry:

Then again it does come back to the speed run I did on trying to trade in all 50 in less than 2 weeks. I'll probably start contacting GS through the customer service line in a day or two and see if I can get this reversed, as I still feel it's total crap.

And people dislike me? I never knew.:lol::razz:

#36 blindinglights   ... CAGiversary!   4579 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

blindinglights

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

I did what any flipper should NOT do, which is panic that the items I'm attempting to make money/credit on will soon be worthless and try to trade in everything as quickly as possible.

Then again, I did wait until AFTER the TIV dipped to $4 from $5.25 to finally get in on the HDMI gravy train, so I waited seemingly forever to try out that flip.

But the clerks at the closest store to me seemed to be 100% ok with the trading of multiples. Then again that was only because the manager there was allowing it. I think I only had one or two clerks make a comment or give me the 'you can only trade in 2-3 at most' spiel and of those the one clerk/manager was at the store that's their DM's office.:-# I think that was the only one I was actually a bit rude at and got a bit annoyed with, since normally that store was super lenient like the closest one.

I believe that was the one right before I found out about the ban that I just took cash(all of $7) for the two cables they were 'graciously allowing me' to trade in:roll:.

I just still find it funny that at least several other CAG's have managed to get away with 100+ cables and I got banned for less than 50.:cry:

Then again it does come back to the speed run I did on trying to trade in all 50 in less than 2 weeks. I'll probably start contacting GS through the customer service line in a day or two and see if I can get this reversed, as I still feel it's total crap.

And people dislike me? I never knew.:lol::razz:

Is the trade in value on HDMI cables still at $4?

#37 forteblast   has 99 problems CAGiversary!   175 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

forteblast

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

For people doing "profitable" trade-ins, have you calculated how much money you're wasting on gas driving all over the place and how much time you're wasting on buying stuff online, driving there, trading in and driving home just to get credit at a video game store?

With the same time commitment you could get an actual job that pays actual money you can spend anywhere.

Just sayin'.

#38 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49880 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

For people doing "profitable" trade-ins, have you calculated how much money you're wasting on gas driving all over the place and how much time you're wasting on buying stuff online, driving there, trading in and driving home just to get credit at a video game store?

With the same time commitment you could get an actual job that pays actual money you can spend anywhere.

Just sayin'.

Don't bother trying to explain that point to certain people. You might as well try to ice skate uphill.

#39 dabamus   Banned Banned   4291 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

Is the trade in value on HDMI cables still at $4?

As of a few days ago it was.

#40 bredbu   I love Lamp CAGiversary!   1976 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

Just sayin'.

i have calculated it and it is just fine :) and most of us do it as a side project and have jobs also

#41 bredbu   I love Lamp CAGiversary!   1976 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

I have traded in over 100 hdmi cables so far . Most of them before the value dropped (It was $5.25 for a long time...$5.77 after edge). Got a Wii and 2 Xbox 360slims from all the credit.

lol i t hink im only at about 94 right now total i think im gonna quit for a while the one gs employee asked me if i made hdmi cables

#42 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

Just sayin'.

If I could find a real job I'd be working and still be doing this on the side. I've only left the house to go drop stuff off at the post office or UPS store or Gamestop, but only if I was in the area. It just so happened that there was also an FYE right next door that still takes games and they were giving about $33 in credit for each copy of a few games I picked up at GS for $16 each.

So double my GS credit by going next door? Hell yes. I picked up Dead Rising 2 again with a majority of the credit from those two $16 games I turned into $66 in credit.

I also turned eight games into $254 just by mailing them out to a company after having Amazon ship me four copies each of two games. Again, the only time I left my house to 'run around' was to the post office to mail both packages out.

Those of us who do this as a way to feed our gaming hobby don't do this to lose money or spend hours driving around for nothing. I don't know why so many people are so dead set against being a smarter consumer. But hey, as long as you're happy paying MSRP or waiting for price drops or whatever. If that's your thing, then so be it. But some of us would like to make money and get to enjoy some of the same games you all are, even if it means we take a few extra steps to get it for almost nothing.

Don't bother trying to explain that point to certain people. You might as well try to ice skate uphill.

I've tried skating uphill. It's great exercise.;) But not as great as walking uphill to school both ways. <shakes cane> Damn kids, get off my lawn.

#43 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

I actually do it oddly because I find it somewhat fun. But I know my limits. Anything that takes longer than 20 minutes to drive is a no go for me. I do have a job but i still have a lot of free time while working :)

#44 Marshy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

as a former manager of a gamestop, each store retains the right to refuse service to you. if you trade in games that might be stolen or look like you are doing so, the manager or staff have the right to refuse that trade in.

#45 steve nash   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   391 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

steve nash

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

as a former manager of a gamestop, each store retains the right to refuse service to you. if you trade in games that might be stolen or look like you are doing so, the manager or staff have the right to refuse that trade in.

/thread

#46 phaqueue   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

phaqueue

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

Got a quick question for the more experienced in doing this... is there a good resource to be able to see how much gamestop is buying the games for? I would love to be able to buy from other places to flip, but it seems like a huge hassle to have to go to gamestop or call to find out prices...

any suggestions?

tricks of the trade?

#47 Rollett   For Love and Peace! CAGiversary!   709 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

I would say it has more to do with local requests and rules from police and such.. since most game stops have to report their sales to the local PD.

#48 joshxx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   460 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:25 AM

Sorry to revive this post but again has GameStop lift the limit, I want to trade 3 copies I have of the division 2, they were gifts but I could trade them and buy something better, just asking first