XBLA - Torchlight - March 9 - 1200 points

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232qB_VAqt4

http://www.torchlightgame.com/gamenews/2011/01/06/torchlight-coming-to-xbla/
Runic Games details what's new and the same in the XBLA port:

We are proud to announce that Torchlight will be coming to Xbox 360 as a part of Microsoft’s House Party promotion in Spring 2011!

“We couldn’t be happier to bring Torchlight to Xbox LIVE Arcade,” says CEO Max Schaefer. “This is what the fans have been asking for. Torchlight for the Xbox 360 is a new way to experience a great game, and we’re thrilled to work with Microsoft to bring it to fruition.”

Q: What has been changed to make the game work on the 360?

A: The UI is COMPLETELY overhauled from the ground up. Nothing works the same. All new art and navigation. The concept of item ’slots’ is done away with – you just have a number of items you can hold ( 50 – ignores stack counts ). Potions and scrolls stack up to 99. Potions ‘auto pick’ the best potion to heal you or regen mana. You don’t have to think about it or map it. We iterated on the UI a ridiculous amount.

You can have 4 active mapped skills at a time, and a secondary set that you can swap between (using the dpad) for 8 mapped skills. Most of us actually find it easier to use a variety of skills on the console vs. PC, oddly enough.

Force feedback is in for quakes, strikes, low health heartbeats, and tugs on the fishing line
icon_smile.gif
Feels nice.

Q: How are controls different?

A: Control is direct – no virtual cursors ever. Combat is a little different – you move forward slightly with melee attacks and all the attack animations are redone to support this. You don’t ‘target’ enemies – you’ll get a red highlight for a ‘primary’ target that is in range, but for melee attacks you hit everything in your damage cone (secondary targets get secondary damage ). Feels natural and does what you expect.

Ranged combat is actually in many ways easier – kiting and dodging are significantly more viable with a controller and the autotargeting for ranged attacks works pretty well. ‘lobbed’ skills mapped to the triggers have a default distance, but you can finesse them for longer or shorter throws by holding the trigger at a given depth. Combat pace feels ‘faster’ and more maneuverable. If you’ve played classics like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, you have the general idea ( but no jumping ). Movement speed is analog – you can move slower by easing on the stick, something you can’t do at all on PC.

Q: Has anything been removed/added for the console version?

A: No skills have been omitted. Some skills have had alterations to their functionality to make them feel better ( i.e. you don’t select corpses to summon a Nether Imp – you just cast it and if there’s a corpse around, there you go ).

Pretty much everything from the PC version is here. We didn’t remove any features, with the exception of secondary weapon sets, because there was no way we could find that didn’t feel horrible in inventory management. Socketing, enchanting, fishing, the infinite dungeon, item combination, are all represented.

We brought over some goodies from TL2 to the console version. Loading times are much reduced. Better animation blending makes combat snappier ( hard to describe, but you’ll probably feel it ). Automaps are brought over from TL2’s new automap system ( They are rendered out and much more readable, and icons cleave to the borders of the ring ). In addition, there are three new armor sets (one for each class), some new random quests for one of the miners in town, and a new pet – the Chakawary.
Screenshots

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I feel they should have put all effort into Torchlight 2, released that and then ported it over to consoles with its multiplayer.

[quote name='Draekon']Honestly I feel they should have put all effort into Torchlight 2, released that and then ported it over to consoles with its multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I assume the XBLA is the "test". If it does well I see a retail release of Torchlight 2 in the future. I'm still down for this. I'll spend more time with it on 360 than I will for PC. I'll actually be able to control it now. Keybord/mouse never works for me.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I'm still down for this. I'll spend more time with it on 360 than I will for PC. I'll actually be able to control it now. Keybord/mouse never works for me.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Actually they should've just added multiplayer to this and called it a day. Anyone want to guess on price? 800?

I can't wait for this. Watched some gameplay, and I love games like this. Too bad there aren't more like this on the 360. Watching gameplay of this reminded me of the good ol days of Baldurs Gate and Champions of Norrath on the PS2.

I would also guess the game will cost $15. Probably go on sale at some point for $10.

I played the demo for the game on PC. Wasn't something I felt like paying even $5 for. I'll give the XBLA demo a try as well.

yeah I didn't like the PC version either, the fact that they are basically redoing it is a good thing IMO. Might be worth it.

House party titles will probably all be 1200. It will be nice to play in on the Xbox 360 but I will wait for a price drop with the deals of the week.

Yeah, all House Party titles are likely to go on sale at some point. Since I already own the PC version, I'll wait for a deal on this one. It does sound nicely optimized for the 360 though.

This is one of those titles I've been interested in but always skipped. If the controls feel good on the 360 I might finally break down and buy it, I don't know. Multiplayer is what I really want though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Runic Games' CEO indicates that it'll probably be $15, though it's Microsoft that decides the price, not Runic.[/QUOTE]

If you asked MS what the price was, they would say the developers set the price. ;)

i thought Torchlight single player was just a big beta test for an online MMO type community in the future? I didn't think there was a TL2 on the way. If anything they could add more classes or alternate ones, I've seen some pretty decent mods/skins for Torchlight.

[quote name='100xp']i thought Torchlight single player was just a big beta test for an online MMO type community in the future? I didn't think there was a TL2 on the way. If anything they could add more classes or alternate ones, I've seen some pretty decent mods/skins for Torchlight.[/QUOTE]
No, they're games in the Torchlight universe that the MMO will expand upon whenever it comes out in a few years. Until then, they're working on this and Torchlight 2, which the latter adds new classes, more towns, new pets, and online/local co-op.

I am pretty excited about this game, I loved Diablo and never got a chance to check this out on PC I hope the starting price is not crazy high.

I bought this for $5 on Steam so I almost feel obligated to pay full price considering the time I put into the PC version (that and it was the ONLY PC game I bought that year! Last year only game I bought was SC2). I just wish they added multiplayer even if it was only one person, cause that was the only thing it lacked.

Heres hoping Torchlight 2 sees a simultaneous console release.

Can't wait to check this one out. Too bad it comes out the same week as Dragon Age, might have to wait for a sale on this.

[quote name='FrankySox']Can't wait to check this one out. Too bad it comes out the same week as Dragon Age, might have to wait for a sale on this.[/QUOTE]

it is most likely DA:2 will go on sale well before Torchlight gets a price reduction...I'm going to wait til DA:2 hits $19.99 :) if I even get it at all. Hope there's a TL demo.

[quote name='100xp']it is most likely DA:2 will go on sale well before Torchlight gets a price reduction...I'm going to wait til DA:2 hits $19.99 :) if I even get it at all. Hope there's a TL demo.[/QUOTE]

They always have demos (trials) of arcade games. No worries man.

[quote name='Survivalism']Fantastic. Xbox has not nearly enough Diablo clones and such games aren't tremendously prudent on a netbook.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean, Torchlight runs great on a netbook.

[quote name='seanr1221']So excited for this. I have off on Wednesday so it should be a good day :)[/QUOTE]

Fack! I thought it came out tomorrow, thought for some reason it was Tuesday! I work Wednesday and Thursday :bomb:

[quote name='keithp']Not sure what you mean, Torchlight runs great on a netbook.[/QUOTE]

Runs great but my screen is roughly the size of a postage stamp.

Lol I just beat the first major boss in the demo and then a window popped up asking for me to buy the full game....first it said "This download: -1 Microsoft Points" and when I clicked to download it (thinking I'm actually GETTING a point for buying the game lol), another window popped up saying that I didn't have enough Microsoft Points to download it...my Current balance: 1343 Microsoft Points, Required balance: 4294967295 Microsoft Points. WOW I think that's gotta be at least a million dollars....I definitely enjoyed the demo, but I dunno if it's worth that much...

[quote name='MasterAwesome']Lol I just beat the first major boss in the demo and then a window popped up asking for me to buy the full game....first it said "This download: -1 Microsoft Points" and when I clicked to download it (thinking I'm actually GETTING a point for buying the game lol), another window popped up saying that I didn't have enough Microsoft Points to download it...my Current balance: 1343 Microsoft Points, Required balance: 4294967295 Microsoft Points. WOW I think that's gotta be at least a million dollars....I definitely enjoyed the demo, but I dunno if it's worth that much...[/QUOTE]

LOL! It's 53+ million dollars. Totally worth it!

Played some of Torchlight on XBLA this morning. Loved it. For some reason, it was easy for me to play as a warrior on PC, but on 360, the ranged character is op. Haven't tried the mage yet, but loved the game thus far. Totally worth 1200 points. Created a new character just to get the pet transformation achievement, don't want to loose my cat for my main character.

Last edited by a moderator:
I turned my lizard thing into a troll with the fish. Later, I turned him into an electric guy for a few minutes, and when the effect wore off, he was back to a lizard. So the troll change isn't as permanent as they say.

[quote name='seanr1221']I turned my lizard thing into a troll with the fish. Later, I turned him into an electric guy for a few minutes, and when the effect wore off, he was back to a lizard. So the troll change isn't as permanent as they say.[/QUOTE]

I've never played this game or seen it beyond the video in the OP. I have very little idea what it's like. But that post makes me WANT to play it.

[quote name='seanr1221']I turned my lizard thing into a troll with the fish. Later, I turned him into an electric guy for a few minutes, and when the effect wore off, he was back to a lizard. So the troll change isn't as permanent as they say.[/QUOTE]

I guess you haven't played the PC version. The effect is considered a power up. Different fish will give your pet different abilities and it is a temporary effect.

Can't wait to pick this game up when I get home.

So basically...the giant fish (troll fish) is permanent in there is no duration.

Taken from the Torchlight GameFAQs
"Pet Shapechanges: Some fish will change the form of your pet.
Simple fish will change your pet for 2 minutes, giving them a number
of special abilities (like dashing attacks, poison attacks, spells,
and other goodies). Big fish change your pet for a full hour. Giant
fish will change them permanently. You will typically find these
three types of fish in a 100:10:1 ratio, with weaker forms more
common. I found it quite useful to transfer a giant fish (in my case
an ice angel- transformation to ice elemental) to a new character,
giving the pet a huge boost. You can also buy a catfish/dogfish to
reverse a transformation (though I wouldn't- just feed them a cheap 2
minute transformation to remove the effect). Note that if you feed
your pet a giant fish, then feed them a normal or big fish, they will
revert back to dog/cat form after the duration has ended."

Interesting info on the pets, thanks!

Also picked it up this morning. I enjoyed it, and I don't understand the complaints about attacks missing enemies consistently, or the big FPS drops.

I've seen FPS stutters, but nothing that hampered gameplay, nor anything that lingered. I even zoned into an area that had at least a good 25 enemies on-screen at once, while I was using an Alchemist with dual elemental wands.

Also, the 'Gift A Friend' feature is... er, lacking, to say the least. I was hoping for an in-game mail system to friends. :( (it just sends a pre-written message to a friend, and gives both of you a respec potion)

And lastly, considering I never was able to enjoy Torchlight without mods... this is still pretty fun. Curious to see what sets were added for the console. I hope this game opens people up to more A-RPGs and brings more similar games to the console in the future. Dungeon Siege 3 comes out at the end of May, too.

I have this on PC, might get it on XBLA. I loved that they changed the controls.

Click click click on the PC gets old for me fast. Told my friend Diablo 2 was too much clicking for me. Years age when Blizzard said they weren't going to make Diablo 3 he blamed it on people like me.

Ah thanks for clearing up the pet info, everyone.

What's everyone using?

I like the two handed warrior and I'm focusing on the berzerker path. I'm stuck in a coffee shop working on my thesis and all I can think about is playing more Torchlight.

I've been waiting for a game like this, I heard nothing but good things from the PC version so I downloaded the trail today and it definitely delivered. Needless to say I pretty much bought it immediately. I really wish it had online co-op though but I guess I can just wait for Diablo III for that one.

So far I'm still kinda getting the gist of it, but I'm a Necromancer (forgot the official name) and I'm working up my minions and finding some good ranged wands. So far it's working pretty well. Can't wait to get to some higher level areas with big badass bosses.

I have Torchlight on my Mac, but I really don't use my computer for gaming much so I've not really put any time into it. I did like what little I played there, though, so this game is certainly on my radar. Will download the demo for sure, but won't be able to try it out until tomorrow night.

I beat the snot out of the PC version (well not entirely, the Steam achivements are insane) using the Warrior type and only died twice on normal. So I went through with the spell caster and already died five times now on Hard on level 13.

It's nearly identical to the PC verison outside of 1) Frame rate - It can get a bit nasty when there are tons of enemies on screen. 2) No Town Portal hot key, a big WTF so I gota go to inventory everytime. Takes some getting use to. 3) Exclusive Ogre pet via gifting it someone, and a potion so u can reset your skill points I believe. As others said DO NOT FEED IT OTHER FISH UNLESS U WANT TO LOSE YOUR PETS TROLL FORM! 4) Achivements and avatar awards exclusive to the 360 version obviously 5) Price - This is $15 and has been $10 and $5 on Steam before, but that's a $5 discount over the PC boxed version at $20.

Outside of those issues and lack of co-op It's a must buy at $15 for 360 owners. I hope the game gets more support so we can see Torchlight 2 on consoles as soon as It's released.

When the game was released in 2009 it was my PC exclusive game of the year and the only PC game I played more then 15 hours into that year. I'd probably put it in my top five games for PC overall that year, and rate it as the best Diablo clone to date!

- re-posting my impressions from another forum

being able to hold down the attack button for continuous basic attacks is so nice...my hands would cramp up after hours of mindless clicking to swing or cast spells. I really like the port over.

there doesn't seem to be any noticable difference between the default pets, I think it's just preference and the new dinosaur pet is really just novelty. I took it for my alchemist only because the warrior has the wolf and the archer has the cat. Seems to make sense...I know there was the free gifting restat potion but Ogre pet? That's new.

while $15 might seem like a lot, I just said $5 per class cause I know I'll play it through at least 3 times.

bread's done
Back