Okami Silly Band $5, $2 shipping (Bonanza.com)

[quote name='thegreek']yeahhh[/QUOTE]

no need for this type of comment. like i said, this is more of a neat find than a price deal. i thought somebody might be interested, and forgive me if I didn't think "Oh, thegreek might not like this, better not post it." please, staple your ass to itself and stfu.

The guy who thought up the idea of selling shaped rubber bands is a fucking genius!!!! Interesting that this version was made, nice for collectors I suppose

[quote name='Drclaw411']no need for this type of comment. like i said, this is more of a neat find than a price deal. i thought somebody might be interested, and forgive me if I didn't think "Oh, thegreek might not like this, better not post it." please, staple your ass to itself and stfu.[/QUOTE]
clap.gif

[quote name='MOTORCITY_MADMAN']How that fit on my wrist brah?It shaped like a cat[/QUOTE]

YOU DON'T HAVE A CAT-SHAPED WRIST?!

What kind of fucking freak show are you?

[quote name='Brother Daz']The guy who thought up the idea of selling shaped rubber bands is a fucking genius!!!! Interesting that this version was made, nice for collectors I suppose[/QUOTE]

Yeah--no shit. When my boy started asking for these last year, and I took him to the store to buy a $5 pack of rubber bands with his allowance money (because there was no fucking way I was spending my lunch money on $5 worth of rubber bands), I just couldn't believe it.

That guy is a fucking genius.

If you want to make a lot of money off of kids, this is the way to do it:

1. Kids like to collect things, so think of something for them to collect.
2. Kids don't have a lot of money, so make sure that it's inexpensive (this is also important because they grow bored of things - like Silly Bandz - quite quickly, so you don't want warehouses full of expensive, useless shit)
3. Kids will spread the fad to their friends at school, so the item should be small enough to be concealed on their person or in their backpack. You will never have to pay to have this marketed, or than to "seed" the fad at the beginning.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Yeah, I'd seen that at Walmart the other day and laughed[/QUOTE]

You laughed, and some guy is laughing all the way to the motherfuckin' bank.

[quote name='Drclaw411']no need for this type of comment. like i said, this is more of a neat find than a price deal. i thought somebody might be interested, and forgive me if I didn't think "Oh, thegreek might not like this, better not post it." please, staple your ass to itself and stfu.[/QUOTE]

video game deals?

The funniest thing for me is, how many people are violating the official "Silly Bands" license, and just making and selling their own. And the guy is still making a shload.

[quote name='thegreek']video game deals?[/QUOTE]

As this has been pointed out, it's clearly related to two video games:

1. That one Okami game that for some reason came out on the DS
2. Silly Bandz: Wait, We Made a Video Game About This? You've Got to be Shitting Me! The Money-Truck Edition™

[quote name='donssword']If it was Halo related the answer would be "close enough."[/QUOTE]

I think we'd all prefer a "cat shaped" silly band over a cad helmet any day of the week.

(Oh, BTW... I've decided to take over this thread in case you haven't figured that out already)

I can't believe they are charging for these and people are actually interested. At Comic Con this year, Capcom was literally giving them out free by the pound because nobody wanted them. In fact, I have a few dozen still sealed in the little packs.

I got one of these at the SD Comic Con. Had no idea what it was until someone explained it to me. There were so many that people were just littering them around the floor.

The guy who sells silly bandz actually didn't invent a thing. he'd been importing things for years and ran across these at some chinese trade show, thought they might become popular, and started importing them in bulk and branding them Silly Bandz.

Still a genius, more of a genius as he really minimized any actual work.

These were given out free at PAX and various other conventions. They had piles of them. A decent collectors item, but 5 bucks a pop is a bit much. They also had Okamiden vinyl stickers.

[quote name='zenintrude']What about Okami DS?[/QUOTE]

Haven't played it myself, but it got a 34/40 from Famitsu, which is pretty good.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']The guy who sells silly bandz actually didn't invent a thing. he'd been importing things for years and ran across these at some chinese trade show, thought they might become popular, and started importing them in bulk and branding them Silly Bandz.

Still a genius, more of a genius as he really minimized any actual work.[/QUOTE]

OMG I hate him. Makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing with my life... FML...

[quote name='zenintrude']If you want to make a lot of money off of kids, this is the way to do it:

1. Kids like to collect things, so think of something for them to collect.
2. Kids don't have a lot of money, so make sure that it's inexpensive (this is also important because they grow bored of things - like Silly Bandz - quite quickly, so you don't want warehouses full of expensive, useless shit)
3. Kids will spread the fad to their friends at school, so the item should be small enough to be concealed on their person or in their backpack. You will never have to pay to have this marketed, or than to "seed" the fad at the beginning.[/QUOTE]

You forgot one: Brand. That. Shit.
Cartoons are crack for children. Shape the bands into their favorite character, and they're helpless. They'll just freebase on Bakugan and Kung-fu hamsters all day long, tweaking out of their little minds.

There are tons of marketing ploys out there, and this happens to be the new generation of Pogs -- cheap pieces of cardboard with characters on them that every kid of my generation went crazy over. And even now, kids can't get enough of Paper Jamz, a horribly successful piece of cardboard that "plays music", and Cupong, a non-alcoholic form of beer pong.

[quote name='unopepito06']You forgot one: Brand. That. Shit.
Cartoons are crack for children. Shape the bands into their favorite character, and they're helpless. They'll just freebase on Bakugan and Kung-fu hamsters all day long, tweaking out of their little minds.[/QUOTE]

The next thing that comes out will be halves of Ziploc bags with masks of Ben 10 aliens printed on the outside. And in all honesty, they should be marketed towards the parents of these children who buy into these idiotic toys instead of sitting down and playing board games or otherwise teaching them something useful. Teach your kid Spanish and how to play the piano instead of buying them a rubber band and telling them to have fun.

[quote name='Blade']Teach your kid Spanish and how to play the piano instead of buying them a rubber band and telling them to have fun.[/QUOTE]

Glad I ain't your kid. What's wrong with the word "and"? Are you the type of parent who very much loves his/her child, but just doesn't buy into fads? Like all the kids at school are playing with the hot new product, but you wont buy it for your kid because you either don't want them to get sucked in and ask for more (becuase of $) or you have this "thing" about fads and you don't want your kid involved at all. And when they ask why, you just say "because I said so". Then the kid raises the money themself and buys it and you say they can only play with it for about 15 minutes a day. And you wont let them have video games, or you do let them have games, but EVERY time you see them playing, you think in your mind to try to find some chore or some reason to make them stop. I'm all for teaching kids things like culture, skills, and value. But no reason to deny something like a $5 pack of rubber bands that will give your kid a mile wide simle.

And just so you know, this is not from personal expirience. I had virtually everything I wanted growing up. And guess what? I still know how to play the piano and I'm not a self entitled egomaniac now. Gahh.

/rant.

[quote name='donssword']The funniest thing for me is, how many people are violating the official "Silly Bands" license, and just making and selling their own. And the guy is still making a shload.[/QUOTE]

I read an interview with the guy and he holds no grudge. In fact the way he sees it, the competition flooding the market is what got the craze going. Silly Bandz were selling great before the knock-offs but went through the roof once the competition hit.

We have loads and loads of silly bands at my Walgreens store and we can't get rid of them. We've been selling them 10 packs for $1 and still have thousands.

bread's done
Back