What is your best game return excuse?

bruce_pwns_j00

CAGiversary!
I normally say the game is broken n get my money back for a game I don't like but I can't at eb or gamestop because they will test them. Whta is your favorite excuse(s)?

Who would let you get your money back? Every company I know of requires you to exchange it for same title in order to avoid customers abusing their return policies.

[quote name='bruce_pwns_j00']I normally say the game is broken n get my money back for a game I don't like but I can't at eb or gamestop because they will test them. Whta is your favorite excuse(s)?[/quote]

Your "shopping" at the wrong places. Generally I have no trouble returning my games. I like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Local Video RENTAL stores.

What the heck is the store supposed to do with an open game you played and beat?

when eb had the 15 day return policy, i'd just take back a game i didn't like and tell them i didn't like it, and they were cool about letting me get another title at the same price. now eb is just an overpriced videogame store.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='bruce_pwns_j00']I normally say the game is broken n get my money back for a game I don't like but I can't at eb or gamestop because they will test them. Whta is your favorite excuse(s)?[/quote]

Your "shopping" at the wrong places. Generally I have no trouble returning my games. I like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Local Video RENTAL stores.

What the heck is the store supposed to do with an open game you played and beat?[/quote]

They sell it used, or be shady like EB and reseal it. ;)

Some stores used to have it where you could return a game if you beat it within a certain amount of time. I remember a couple of my friends doing that at TRU.

Yeah, I usually only buy games that are surefire gems!

Thats why I love my Cube!!!!

Sometimes, I get stuck with stinkers, but usually, they're impule, $20 or less, games. So, I don't mind holding on to them. Like the $10 PN03.
Or, the $10 I Ninja, Capcom vs SNK EO, Spirits and Spells, and Lost Kingdoms. They are definitely worth $10,..more if you ask me.

Back in the day, though, before I made a lot of friends at EB, I did some lying.

Try this one.

Tell them, when you get to level 5, when you go to jump over the obstacle, that the game locks up.
They'll probably give you an even exchange. Then, return it that same day, and tell them it still is doing it.
They can't make it to level 5 while they check it out, nor have they played the game, themselves.

Trust me. They don't play all of their games. Most employees are niche gamers. They get a job there, for one genre of games. Be it sports, RPG, etc.

You can BS any part, you claim the game freezes at, with applicable material.

Just remember, they've probably read at least one sales sheet, or article, so that they can boast about the game.
Just use common sense. Even reading the back of the box, can set up this gimmick.

Its easier to make friends though.
They'll usually hook you up with unlimited trade ins, as long as their boss isn't there to Fu it up.
Or, make friends with the managers, like I did, and you'll be set.

Otherwise, son't worry.

If you're on this site, you shouldn't be paying retail, anyways. Suck up your cheap ass deal, as just that. A DEAL!

What kind of loser buys a game he doesn't want anyway?
I know before I even buy a game that it is one that I want, and won't be disappointed with to the point where I'd trade it in.

[quote name='JSweeney']What kind of loser buys a game he doesn't want anyway?
I know before I even buy a game that it is one that I want, and won't be disappointed with to the point where I'd trade it in.[/quote]

yeah...i dont understand that either...the only time id ever trade a game in is if i somehow how two or more of them...or if i strictly bought it just to trade in because i could trade it for more then i bought it for.....all of the 200 some games that i own....i mostly love....the ones that i dont like too much....my gf, niece, and nephew all enjoy...and one day when i have kids and he/shes around 5 yrs old...they're gonna enjoy these (when the time comes) classics

I don't give any excuse, I just give the game to them and they take it back, no questions asked.

Well one time I bought a XBL headset at EB, but realized I could get it across the street with the GGC at Best Buy. So I just brought it back and said my friend had one.

[quote name='craven_fiend']when eb had the 15 day return policy, i'd just take back a game i didn't like and tell them i didn't like it, and they were cool about letting me get another title at the same price. now eb is just an overpriced videogame store.[/quote]

Funny, I coulda swore I picked up Cubivore at EB brand new just the other day for $10. :roll: I never understood why ppl claim EB is so overpriced when they're often the first to mark down games and are constantly running great sales.

I don't use an excuse. The only way I would return a game is if it was still factory sealed (which I did once because I had bought a game that I forgot I had). There is no excuse for returning an opened game simply because you didn't like it. There are game mags and websites galore with reviews of games. Plus there are rentals to help you determine if you want it. Quite frankly, if I were a gamestore employee I would have that posted in the store.

I never had to make excuses when buying games but when i rented games when i was lil and ended up didnt liking the game i would tell them my system had broke and if i could exchange it for another game on a different system it worked everytime lol

Personally I'd only try to return an unopened game and as most every store I know of will take back unopened games you don't have to come up with some story to scam them. If they asked I would probably just say 'no reason'.

I don't think I've ever actually returned a game though.

YHou guys have me all wrong. I only get games I really want. What I'm talking about is if you like get a game you already have for a holiday. Because sometimes you will want to give it a try when that happens and hate it.

Dude, you just have to have the self control to decide if you want to keep the game (and open it) or dump the game (don't open it) I guess I could see if whoever gave it to you was all enthused about their gift and wanted you to rip it open right then to watch you play it (or play it together) you might be forced to open up some putrid game you know you don't want. That would suck.

This past Xmas I got the DVD of Pirates of the Carribean. Seems like a decent movie, but I'd rather rent it and watch it once or wait for it to be on HBO, so I didn't open it up and returned it to Target. The giver was actually nice enough to include the gift receipt so that was a snap. But a lot of stores will take unopened stuff back that you got as a gift even without a receipt (especially at Xmas time).

[quote name='bruce_pwns_j00']YHou guys have me all wrong. I only get games I really want. What I'm talking about is if you like get a game you already have for a holiday. Because sometimes you will want to give it a try when that happens and hate it.[/quote]

I'm not sure if you typed that correctly, but if you already have the game, shouldn't you know if you like it or not?

I returned my copy of Bloody Roar 3 to TRU because it had a huge slice in the spine. I would've just put it in an extra case, but it cut through the cardboard cover insert. I couldn't let that stay in my collection. I just got another copy tho...and there was nothing illegal about it...but still!

Currently in use:

"My [family member] got [returning game] for [recent holiday/occasion], but only owns a [system that doesn't match the one of the returned game]. May I exchange it?"

In the off chance the customer service rep is actually paying attention, try to be a little believable. I don't think "My little brother got Mary Kate and Ashley's Sweet Sixteen for Gamecube for his 10th wedding anniversary, but only owns an Atari Jaguar. May I exchange it?" will fly all that well.

-Hoshi

bread's done
Back