God of War scores perfect 10's in the new Game Informer

Maynard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Well, its in, my worries have been quashed. God of War got perfect 10's in the new Game Informer and they said its a masterpeice and that its the most fun they have ever had playing a game in a long time. I'm totally psyched.

I've been hyped since I saw the previews for it in GI. I can't wait to read the article and play it next week.

[quote name='dnxthx']How reputable are Game Informer reviews?[/quote]

They had a little controversy a few months ago, but its just like any review... you might like it, you might not.

[quote name='onetrackmind'][quote name='dnxthx']How reputable are Game Informer reviews?[/quote]

They had a little controversy a few months ago, but its just like any review... you might like it, you might not.[/quote]

In case everybody forgot, they gave Paper Mario a 6.75 or something because they thought it wouldn't appeal to everybody :roll:

I can't wait for GoW. Any word on gameplay length?

[quote name='Scahom1'][quote name='onetrackmind'][quote name='dnxthx']How reputable are Game Informer reviews?[/quote]

They had a little controversy a few months ago, but its just like any review... you might like it, you might not.[/quote]

In case everybody forgot, they gave Paper Mario a 6.75 or something because they thought it wouldn't appeal to everybody :roll:

I can't wait for GoW. Any word on gameplay length?[/quote]

I actually got the GI today. 12 hours of gameplay length.

I've always found that they are a bit higher (more leniant) than other mags, websites.

In this case, I'm glad, because I want GoW to be successful.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']Let's please not forget that this is the same magazine that gave Metal Gear Solid 2 perfect 10's.[/quote]

...which was well-deserved...

I decided to type up the review.

"Never before has a game so masterfully conveyed raw, visceral rage."

Rational thought supposedly separates humans from animals. But it is possible for someone to use the gift of reason to make choices that will plunge a mind into madness, transforming a human into a vengeful, primal beast. Regardless of the sins and sorrows of his past, this is the kind of man Kratos has become, and it is by capturing his torment that God of War has earned a place as one of the definig titles of this console generation.

Featuring the most graceful combat system of any action game to date, God of War offers endless opportunities for players to unleash their inner demons through visually stunning and morally disturbing displays of power. Slaughter fleeing Athenians for a health boostl. Break people's spines by folding them in half - backwards. Revel in the bloodbath as the Blades of Chaos (permanently grafted to Kratos' pale skin) glide effortlessly through legions of mythological terros like Sirens, gogons, and hulking armored Minotaurs.

Kratos begins the game with most of these skills, yet even with this basic moveset, he is instantly the most captivating and bad-ass character in gaming. His prowess only improves as you progress through the amazing cinematic adventure. By gathering orbs from fallen foes, Kratos can upgrade his weapons and magic (in the style of Onimusha), opening up entirely new moves, which in turn frees up even more ruthless combo possibilities. When you add in contextual finishing strikes (usually consisting of timed button presses), the action strings together so flawlessly and provocatively that there wasn't a single second that I feldt that I, personally, couldn't beat the hades out of the gods myself.

On a technical level, God of War is equally omnipotent: It maintains a silky smooth framerate, supports 16:9 widescreen and progressive scan, and only once in the whole 12 hours of gameplay did I notice anything approaching camera problems The only ocmplaint I can muster against this otherwise almighty offering is that the controls during the Prince of Persia - insired platforming sections could be tightened up a bit. While these nuts and bolts add to the overall polish, they mainly serve to augment what is essentially the most addictive and engaging third-person action game I haver ever played. It is entertainment incarnate.

Empowered by the gods and fueled by revenge, Kratos tries to bury his inner demons under the corpses of soldiers and in the willing arms of women. His rampage is terrifying, but is impossible to put down. While playing God of War, I honestly found it difficult to resist the urge to simply genuflect and be humbled to be in the presence of such digital dvinity, this god among games.

That was the whole review.

Second Opinion:

Through relentless, pulse-pounding excitement, God of War achieves gaming nirvana and earns the right to be worshiped as the pinnacle of barbaric action. Lift a soldier high into the air and tear his body in two. Climb onto the back of a giants and run your smoldering steel through his skull. Not even a god can understand your unconqerable rage. Unleashing Kratos' fury is one of the greatest pleasures that I've had in gaming. He makes Darth Vader seem about as violent as a Care Bear. The finess of play, sheer brutality of the conbos that you can perform, and ingenious finishing movies had my mouth watering from start to finish. When you're not soaking the land with blood, you are either marveling at its gorgeous vistas or feeling from the shocking events that shape Kratos' life. With a thundering resonance, God of War sends a shockwave through the action genre and launches gaming as a whole to new heights.

Lol GI gives out tons of 10s. Still promising but from GI its not THAT great. Once IGN or gamespot gets a review ill believe.

Not very, they tend to skim games as opposed to actually playing them, thus the high amounts of 8s and 9s. However they only give 10s out to deserving or overhyped games. I don't know about you guys, but GOW was far from hyped as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='swetooth9']...which was well-deserved...[/QUOTE]
riiiiiiight. I for one cant even think of a game that deserves a perfect score. In my opion a perfect score should be something for everyone to shoot for, but in reality impossible to acheive. I have never played a game without atleast one major fault in it, let alone all the little things i like to bitch about. and as far as mgs2...the only thing that wasnt a major fault was the graphics

Of course no game is absolute perfection, but I think it can get a 10/10. If the positives outweight the negatives so much so that you don't even think of them or notice them at all during gameplay, (in this case God of War), then it is worthy of that score.

God of War is equally omnipotent

Omnipotent?? Can someone say hype?

Anyway, if you are still trusting mag reviews, who get their paychecks from the same people who make the games they review, you've got a lot to learn.

That GI review was such BS. They were just happy cause the game was easy and short thus easy to review. j.k.

I don't know, but GoW was not a 10 in my mind, more like an 8. Just too easy and the AI sucked, so hard mode isn't even an option since they still have all the same attack patterns, it just hurts more when you get hit.

does it own Ninja Gaiden or DMC? I don't want to be sound like a fanboy but Ninja Gaiden for xbox is my fav action game hands down. Now only if they released those hurrican packs on discs!

[quote name='Mishimaryu']does it own Ninja Gaiden or DMC? I don't want to be sound like a fanboy but Ninja Gaiden for xbox is my fav action game hands down. Now only if they released those hurrican packs on discs![/QUOTE]

No it doesn't. I think God of War deserves a 7.9 or a 8, something like that. It's a good game, pretty brutal, however it's repeditive, short, and has low replay value (for me). You can unlock outfits and stuff like in DMC, but this game doesn't captivate me enough to make me want to beat it more than once. It's definately worth a rent though.

/My2cents

If the full game is as good as the demo then it will geta 10/10 from me - and that's all that really matters...

[quote name='Mishimaryu']does it own Ninja Gaiden or DMC? I don't want to be sound like a fanboy but Ninja Gaiden for xbox is my fav action game hands down. Now only if they released those hurrican packs on discs![/QUOTE]

In some respects, yes, in others, no.

----------
vs Gaiden
---------

-Fighting engine not nearly as deep
-Not even close in terms of difficulty/frustration level
-Not as pretty (when the developer complains about hardware limitations in the special features... well, that just answers this question)

+Better sense of narrative
+Better pacing
+Characters consistent to the game world (hello, ninja inspector gadget. hello, giant skeleton dinosaur. hello old guy that sells stuff through statues.)
+Better flow to combat due to its simplicity
+More approachable

----------
vs DMC 1
----------

-Less difficult
-Less weapons / combat depth
-Less bosses (though the small amount in GoW were about as fun as DMC's)

+Coherent voice acting and story
+More approachable

-----------------------------
My CAG Rating for GoW:
-----------------------------

$50: Wouldn't blame you
$40: Probably should
$30: Sweet Spot
$20: Absolutely must-buy

Rental: Length is perfect. Do it if you've got no $$

i got it on release with some trade-in credit and i like it much much more than Ninja Gaiden. Actually, Ninja Gaiden was one of the games I traded it in for. Frankly, I'm just a wimp, I'm not very good at video games at all and I give up very easily. Ninja Gaiden was not for me. I got up to the part where you first see the demons (until then I just killed Ninjas) and gave up. That was about a week after it came out, a year and a half ago.

So yes. I like God of War a lot. If you have no backbone or patience, but still like killing everything in sight, its for you. Populism rocks.

bread's done
Back