Buying a router, which should I get?

Chronis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
So I've been needing a new wireless router for a while now, and as luck would have it, I just noticed Amazon threw a bunch of Cisco/Linksys routers on sale. Now, I want to get a topnotch N router, so my eye was on the E3000. But then I noticed the WRT400N, which has a huge discount on it from it's MSRP. So now I'm wondering, is it worth getting the E3000, or is the 400N just as good, albeit older.

E3000 is probably the best thing out ATM but only if you will actually use the features over a E2000/E1000,

USB storage slot - a little clunky to get setup but having a a NAS on the router is nice.
Dual band - 5ghz spectrum is nice for apartments and high speed devices (if you use 5ghz only, you can just get a E2000, it has a selectable band but not dual)

If you need just a basic wireless N router for internet / Xbox use a E1000 they work perfectly fine. Actually, so do most of the cheaper N routers on newegg.com (Trend, Asus, make good cheap routers too)

I've found D-Links to be the best for gaming. They work for everything.

It's 2011 and I'm still surprised they haven't made routers idiot proof and super easy to use yet. They should be plug n' play and not have to require a degree in IT to set up and use.

[quote name='2DMention']I've found D-Links to be the best for gaming. They work for everything.

It's 2011 and I'm still surprised they haven't made routers idiot proof and super easy to use yet. They should be plug n' play and not have to require a degree in IT to set up and use.[/QUOTE]

If you have an internet connection that doesn't require PPP auth (old Verizon DSL lines), and use the push button on the router (not all of them have it), routers nowadays can pretty much be plug and play. Some even have really good disc walkthroughs.

The problem is that none of this is really documented well to the consumer.

[quote name='BigPopov']If you have an internet connection that doesn't require PPP auth (old Verizon DSL lines), and use the push button on the router (not all of them have it), routers nowadays can pretty much be plug and play. Some even have really good disc walkthroughs.

The problem is that none of this is really documented well to the consumer.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem. I'm on DSL.

I think when I get my own house, I would consider DSL as it's cheaper, but don't you need a land line for it? When we got DSL, we already had a land line. If I would need a land line, it would be a wash and better to get cable.

They should also combine the router and modem in one device.

[quote name='2DMention']That's the problem. I'm on DSL.

I think when I get my own house, I would consider DSL as it's cheaper, but don't you need a land line for it? When we got DSL, we already had a land line. If I would need a land line, it would be a wash and better to get cable.

They should also combine the router and modem in one device.[/QUOTE]

Verizon does combine them both now, but you only get a wireless G with no real extra features. There are 3rd party routers that have a phone port though which work w/ Verizon.

Some areas don't require a phone line anymore, but you're right, if it does then there's not much point in DSL.

bread's done
Back