volunteering involving finance?

v1et r1ce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Hey CAGs

So my school does 6 month coop cycles, and I have to partake in three of them. I'm currently searching for my first one and notice how my resume...sucks. I don't have any experience in my major field (Business Administration with concentration in Finance). My experience section basically consists of working at my uncle's sandwich shop, Circle K volunteering, and tutoring a kid in high school :roll:

Currently I'm volunteering to do tax returns for the tax season, so thats something good I can put in, though it is more related to accounting than finance. I was wondering if anyone knows about any other types of volunteering that relates to the business field? Specifically finance?

I thought about doing internships at a company, but they occur in the summer (my coop cycle is Spring/Summer), so I have no ideas currently..

bump! didn't get a coop in the "A" round, though employers in that round look mostly for juniors/prejuniors, so it's not too bad. Still need some experience!!

I would suggest checking with the local non-profits in your area. They may need straight-forward accounting help, i.e. balancing the ledger, etc. But, you may also be able to creatively gain "finance experience" by helping to count the cash after a fund-raiser (for example).

For the record, I think any accounting experience translate well to the finance field. Kudos for volunteering.

EDIT: I would also ask a few of the more experienced volunteers within your tax group (utilize your existing networks). They may have some good leads for you. Lastly, maybe check with a few CPAs, they may have some simple bookkeeping they would let you practice on. I would wait until June to ask around though.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back