DJ Max PORTABLE 3 (PSP) $17.75 on Amazon.com

Gosha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Overall it's a fun game, and this is a great price.

Know that the current US UMD and PSN version is due for a patch soon (the Korean version was recently patched. Just highlight the game in the XMB, press Triangle and select Update.). As it is right now, the experience you earn is stingy (others and myself grind missions since they give far, far more experience), there's a playcount glitch that will lock some earnable patterns, and the accuracy required for the x.T modes is quite exacting. It's been confirmed by some players at Bemanistyle.com's DJMP3 forum that the Korean patch alleviates these and a few other things for the Korean version, so hopefully the US version gets its update soon, too (but not tonight; I tried after this evening's PSN update :\).

Regarding the good stuff, I think DJMP3's ability to Install Data on a memory stick greatly improves the load times just like Black Square and the Clazziquai Edition. The DJMP2/Fever/Hot Tunes ability to equip notes, characters and gear to add modifiers (extra experience, Auto Corrects, etc.) is back, you unlock stuff in the usual ways as well as via a slot machine style method after each level-up (so no empty level ups like in some other versions), and you even get to see your playcount in the Lounge menu (it was missing in Fever and Hot Tunes - ugh). There are all sorts of other pluses like the x.T modes where you use the analog stick and buttons to play remix tracks. Most of the remixes are pretty good and often use samples from other classic DJMP songs.

So don't let that stop you from getting the game at this price. I have enjoyed it a lot and have managed to play around 800 songs and reach level 45 so far.

That's good price for DJ Max Portable 3, especially for the UMD version. Only 5000 copies in North America, did DJ Max Portable not sell well in NA?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']That's good price for DJ Max Portable 3, especially for the UMD version. Only 5000 copies in North America, did DJ Max Portable not sell well in NA?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vectorman0']Can someone please point me to a source regarding this "5000 copy" print run?[/QUOTE]

Here's the confirmation of only 5000 NA copies being initially available:
http://www.bemanistyle.com/djmp3/

I can't find the post at Bemanistyle.com, but I'm positive that the developer implied that the PSN would be the main way the game would be sold, with the UMD version being somewhat secondary.

Either version of the game you get is going to be fine, especially since the UMD load times with Data Install are very snappy. For now, the UMD is the cheapest option since the PSN version alone is still $39.99.

Edit: Added "initially" above to clarify that this was the starting number of physical copies. Obviously by now that number is far less ;)

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Here's the confirmation of only 5000 NA copies being available:
http://www.bemanistyle.com/djmp3/

I can't find the post at Bemanistyle.com, but I'm positive that the developer implied that the PSN would be the main way the game would be sold, with the UMD version being somewhat secondary.

Either version of the game you get is going to be fine, especially since the UMD load times with Data Install are very snappy. For now, the UMD is the cheapest option since the PSN version alone is still $39.99.[/QUOTE]

Either this game is selling incredibly horribly or this is BS. Amazon still has >999 copies...

[quote name='zohar']Either this game is selling incredibly horribly or this is BS. Amazon still has >999 copies...[/QUOTE]

I corrected my text above to reflect that the whole run was for 5000 copies. I didn't mean to imply that there were 5000 copies as of yesterday, of course.

Edit: Ah, sorry, I think I misinterpreted your earlier post, zohar. I think you were trying to say that it appears that the developer made more than 5000 copies but was marketing it as a lower number. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's still sad overall if that many physical copies are still around. 5000 isn't a large run at all, especially since Amazon wasn't the only place selling that version online. :(

Yeah that's what I was meant in your edit. It is indeed unfortunate :( I'm a big fan of rhythm games (sooo wish they would do Beatmania IIDX on the PS3 already), and it sucks to see this not sell well :\

Aww, got my copy a few weeks ago for $35. Oh, well. Fans of music games should take advantage of this.

Also can't wait for that patch to arrive next Tuesday.

I bit. I don't know how they keep convincing me to buy these. I now own four of them, all of which kick my ass in difficulty. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment... the soundtrack is usually worth it, at least.

And by now it's down to $22.30. How weird. Well, feel free to wait for a better deal, but if they sell out, don't hold your breath for a restock of this one. :p

I brought mine from GS a few weeks back, they had the Fever lable on it, so I got it for $10. Pretty sweet deal.

It's pretty fun, I like it better than fever, but still haven't improved my skill beyond level 3 songs on 4 buttons :p

[quote name='Alucardo666']Anyone else moderately suspicious of the fact that the price keeps dropping slowly but steadily? It's now $22.87....[/QUOTE]

It's one of Amazon's clearance games. They will drop a few percent each day at noon PST. You have to be careful though, at some point it will bottom out and the price can spike all the way back up to what it started at before the drops.

[quote name='bojay1997']It's one of Amazon's clearance games. They will drop a few percent each day at noon PST. You have to be careful though, at some point it will bottom out and the price can spike all the way back up to what it started at before the drops.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! :D In for one, as I'm having my doubts that it'll drop sub $15.

[quote name='Asgardian']I brought mine from GS a few weeks back, they had the Fever lable on it, so I got it for $10. Pretty sweet deal.

It's pretty fun, I like it better than fever, but still haven't improved my skill beyond level 3 songs on 4 buttons :p[/QUOTE]

I must admit that I played 4B mode almost exclusively in Fever for a LONG time as it was my first DJMP game. Eventually I got much better after a lot of practice. I like to think of practice with the series as typing practice. I remember taking a typing class in junior high and later in high school. Holy cow I was TERRIBLE, but by the time I finished high school I was typing like a fiend. Same with the DJMP games -- just keep at it with a pace you're comfy with and those patterns will run through your fingers without a second thought. Oh, and experiment with boosting the note drop speed to the 2x-2.5x zone. In general, this helped me immensely with note visibility since the notes were spread out much more. When the speed is at 1x with a lot of notes it becomes really, really hard to gauge your timing much less the actual patterns they're throwing at you.

Also, make sure you set the sound to Headphones and use headphones or earbuds to listen to the songs. I have no idea how people can play these games without hearing the subtleties, but maybe that's just me :) May I recommend the JVC HAFX67 Air Cushions found on Amazon.com? I have higher-end IEMs and headphones I use, but these are still my go-to earphones due to their all-around versatility, comfort and most of all sound.

So, keep practicing and soon you'll be knocking down those high level songs like I did. That's saying something as I'm not even remotely the most coordinated person (seriously). If I can do it, anyone can :D

[quote name='Asgardian']I brought mine from GS a few weeks back, they had the Fever lable on it, so I got it for $10. Pretty sweet deal.

It's pretty fun, I like it better than fever, but still haven't improved my skill beyond level 3 songs on 4 buttons :p[/QUOTE]

Is Fever the same game as dj max portable 3?

Fever contains a completely different songlist & doesn't have the Remix System. Fever also has a 5 Button & 8 Button mode not in Portable 3. Otherwise, in terms of gameplay (it is a music game, after all), they play very much the same.

[quote name='gepet0']Is Fever the same game as dj max portable 3?[/QUOTE]

Fever was pretty much select songs from DJMP 1 & 2 w/ DJMP2's interface for those who didn't import.

DJ Max Portable series recap, since some people seem interested:

• DJ Max Portable - The original one. This one is hard to find. If you see it for less than $50, jump on it. Or at least tell me. :)
  • DJ Max Portable 2 - Also rare. My favorite in terms of the soundtrack. The released a free demo for this one, it's a good track too. You can download it here.
  • DJ Max Portable Clazziquai Edition - This one tones down the brutal difficulty a bit, making it gentler to newbies. You can get it in a combo pack with Black Square for $45 on Play-Asia.
  • DJ Max Portable Black Square - A counterpoint to the easier Clazziquai Edition, released not long after. Designed for hardcore DJ Max fans.
  • DJ Max Portable 3 - The latest.

• DJ Max Fever - A compilation containing songs from DJMP and DJMP2. Exclusive to North America.
  • DJ Max Portable Hot Tunes - A compilation for Korea and Japan. It isn't the same as Fever, though it also contains music from DJMP and DJMP2.
Each game contains about 60 songs, and each song has it's own complete music video/animation/visualization. The series is known for its amazing level of visual polish. These games take the storage capacity of UMDs to the limits, so they aren't really suited for downloading unless you have a massive memory stick.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Just a little FYI, folks. The patch was released yesterday for the UMD version. To update, highlight "UMD", then hit Triangle, & there'll be the "Update" option.

[quote name='gepet0']Is Fever the same game as dj max portable 3?[/QUOTE]

No, but GS for whatever reason doesn't accept Portable 3 in trade in. His GS most likely accepted it by accident and just labled it as Fever since it was the closest thing. Gamestop also doesnt accept Pokemon Box (gc), or either Club Nintendo DS game. Not sure why.

Broke down and bought a copy. There was one for $15+$5 shipping making it the same as the Amazon copy before shipping. Not a bad deal since I got the first for $40 and played it for DAYS (DJ Max Fever).

[quote name='Drclaw411']Gamestop also doesnt accept Pokemon Box (gc), or either Club Nintendo DS game. Not sure why.[/QUOTE]Most likely because they are not available at normal stores or GameStop. Pokemon Box is (well, most likely was by now) only available at the NY Pokemon Center & the 2 Club Nintendo games are only available from....well, Club Nintendo.

Probably the same situation for DJ Max Portable 3. Only Amazon & BemaniStyle sell the game since they knew not a ton of people would buy it, hence the limited run.

[quote name='Zonic505']Just a little FYI, folks. The patch was released yesterday for the UMD version. To update, highlight "UMD", then hit Triangle, & there'll be the "Update" option.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads up

[quote name='Zonic505']Most likely because they are not available at normal stores or GameStop. Pokemon Box is (well, most likely was by now) only available at the NY Pokemon Center & the 2 Club Nintendo games are only available from....well, Club Nintendo.

Probably the same situation for DJ Max Portable 3. Only Amazon & BemaniStyle sell the game since they knew not a ton of people would buy it, hence the limited run.[/QUOTE]

Zelda Collection on Gamecube was accepted and that wasn't sold in any store and only given through promotions that Nintendo had.

Also, how is this game? I'm not really into rhythm games but I do enjoy them for a quick play.

Zelda Collection was also available via Gamecube bundle, where you got both the system and the game, so technically, it was available at GameStop and some other stores....just only in the said bundle.

I've been enjoying the game. I like the remix system, as it offers multiple versions of songs in the game. However, considering a rhythm game's biggest factor is the music, that's something you'll have to judge yourself. YouTube has plenty of videos of the songs from the game if you want to listen to some of them & judge for yourself.

Ordered yesterday at 20.30, now it's 19.65... Does Amazon do price adjustments? (Not complaining about a few cents, but has always been a bit curious as to how they handle it if at all)

[quote name='n1c0']Ordered yesterday at 20.30, now it's 19.65... Does Amazon do price adjustments? (Not complaining about a few cents, but has always been a bit curious as to how they handle it if at all)[/QUOTE]

We need an Amazon FAQ...

If it hasn't shipped yet, they MIGHT do it for you. If it's shipped it's likely they won't, or you might get lucky and they'll do it as a "one time exception". Normally the key is if it's shipped, though.

By the way, the UMD patch for DJMP3 is now available for North America. Here's how to patch the game:

1. Highlight DJMP3 in the XMB as you normally would to start the game but do not hit X yet!
2. Press the Triangle button and select Update
3. Let the update run and start the game as normal.

Here's what the patch does (text from Bemanistyle.com):

Bugs patched:
* Character-related bugs, i.e., some of the effects not activated in certain conditions
* Custom key setting-related bugs, including misrecognition
* Result display bugs, i.e., accuracy 99.9% appears to be 99.0%
* Wrong mission selecting bug, which occurs by pushing the button while scrolling the mission list
* Item unlock bug which occurs by acquiring WS pattern through fulfilling the play count
* Media install off bug which occurs when data install has been made and the program cannot read the memory card

Modified features:
* Experience percentage increase ratio of EXP-related characters changed as:
1% to 10%
2% to 15%
3% to 20%
4% to 23%
5% to 26%
6% to 30%
* Mission reward of EXP bonus points increased

The patch will update your game to version 1.01, not "2.0" as written elsewhere. I think that was a typo that was meant to refer to the revision number for the PSN version coming next month. Another thing: the current patch does not work with the PSN version, so don't bother; it'll glitch.

Based on personal experience, you'll still get way more experience playing missions over and over again. Playing in Arcade mode didn't seem to really net that much more experience after the patch, but I could be wrong. It's still worth patching the game, if only to prevent the playcount glitch. Oh, and sense that the timing window for notes and especially long notes and the .2T notes is more forgiving now.

Have fun!

[quote name='Antic']Happy it dropped. I hope the new system isn't too hard to get used to. I didn't mind the old system at all.[/QUOTE]

The "new system" is hardly more than a bonus feature, really. I honestly don't understand why they keep trying to make us use that stupid analog nub, but they seem to at least know enough to not let it detract much from the main game. Chances are you won't get used to it, but that doesn't really matter since the bulk of the game is the same DJ Max you know and love.

Hmm. finally got it today after they miss delivered it yesterday. Decided to update to 1.01, but when I decided to boot the the game, it starts in a black screen and shuts down the PSP. Anyone else get this problem?

PSP-3000 in OFW 5.35.

EDIT : Nevermind, figured out that DJMP3 hates my CFW folders.

bread's done
Back