The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Front:
oled_display_img.png

Back:
psvita_rear_touch_pad.png

The Hardware Gist:
5" OLED Screen
Multicore Processor for PS3-level graphics
Two Micro Analog Sticks that are more like the Dual Shock's sticks
Rear and Front Cameras
Rear Touchpad and Front Touchscreen with Multitouch Capability
3G, WiFi, and GPS
Same Gyroscope and Accelerometer as the Move for tilt controls

11x0127bub435specs.jpg

The Software Gist:
New Touch-Based Menu UI called LiveArea
In-Game Live Area for up-to-date Game News, DLC Info, and Friends Activity
Cross Game Chat (Voice and/or Text) with up to 8 Friends via Party app
Universal Game Invites
Trophies!
Remote Play currently for compatible titles
Friends Feed shows off friends' recent activities (purchases, trophies, etc.)
PS Store
Photos, Videos, Music, Web Browser, and Near (Location-based app)
Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Foursquare, Flickr, Netflix, and Music Unlimited Apps
OS-level Screenshot Captures
Software titles come on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
Backwards Compatible with PSP titles, minis, videos and comics from the PlayStation Store.

Games Out Now:
Army Corps of Hell
Asphalt: Injection
Ben 10 Galactic Racing
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Dynasty Warriors Next
Escape Plan - PSN Only
F1 2011
FIFA Soccer
Hot Shots Golf World Invitational
Hustle Kings - PSN Only
Lego Harry Potter: Year 5-7
Little Deviants
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Michael Jackson: The Experience
MLB 12: The Show
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Mortal Kombat
MotorStorm RC - PSN Only
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Pinball Arcade - PSN Only
Plants vs. Zombies - PSN Only
PlayStation Vita Cliff Diving - PSN Only
PlayStation Vita Fireworks - PSN Only
PlayStation Vita Table Soccer - PSN Only
Pure Chess - PSN Only
Rayman Origins
Reality Fighters
Resistance: Burning Skies
Ridge Racer
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
StarDrone Extreme - PSN Only
Soul Sacrifice
Supremacy MMA
Super Stardust Delta - PSN Only
Table Top Tanks - PSN Only
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack! - PSN Only
Touch My Katamari
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
Wipeout 2048

Upcoming Games:
Gravity Rush - 6/12
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection - 6/12
PulzAR - PSN Only - 6/12
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - 6/19
Jet Set Radio - PSN Only - 6/26
Sunflowers - PSN Only - July 2012
Sound Shapes - PSN Only - 8/7
Ragnarok Odyssey - 8/21
Madden NFL 13 - 8/28
Foosball 2012 - PSN Only - Summer 2012
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee - PSN Only - Summer 2012
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - PSN Only - Summer 2012
Retro City Rampage - PSN Only - Summer 2012
Sine Mora - PSN Only - Summer 2012
Snapshot - PSN Only - Summer 2012
Zen Pinball 2 - PSN Only - Summer 2012
FIFA Soccer 13 - 9/18
LEGO Lord of the Rings - 10/2
Spy Hunter - 10/2
Street Fighter X Tekken - 10/2
Persona 4 Golden - 10/23
Smart As - 10/23
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - 10/23
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 10/23
Assassin's Creed III Liberation - 10/30
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - 10/30
Silent Hill: Book of Memories - 10/30
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified - Holiday 2012
KickBeat - PSN Only - Holiday 2012
LittleBigPlanet - Holiday 2012
New Little King's Story - PSN Only - Holiday 2012
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - Holiday 2012
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - Holiday 2012
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed - Holiday 2012
Soul Sacrifice - 3/13/2013
Guacamelee! - PSN Only - Early 2013
Dragon's Crown - 2013

Dates To Be Announced:
Aquatopia - PSN Only
Bioshock Vita
Broken
Flying Hamster HD - PSN Only
Killzone
Mad Blocker HD - PSN Only
Mahjong Fight Club
Mr. Ink Jet - PSN Only
Orgarhythm
Phantasy Star Online 2
Starlight Inception - PSN Only
Top Darts - PSN Only
True Night of the Kamaitachi
Urban Trials - PSN Only
Warrior's Lair (formerly Ruin)
Zombie Tycoon 2 - PSN Only

Question: When will PS Vita be available? Answer: There will be a phased roll out from the end of the year 2011 throughout all the SCE regions.

Q: How much will PS Vita cost?
A: It will cost $249 USD for the Wi-Fi version and $299 USD for the 3G version available through AT&T stores.

Q: What is the official name?
A: The official name will be PlayStation Vita (PS Vita). "Vita," which means "Life" in Latin, was chosen as the name for our next-generation portable entertainment system because it enables a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context.

Q: PS Vita supports 3G network connectivity, does this mean PS Vita will be sold through cell-phone providers?
A: Partnering with AT&T, which powers the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, who will serve as the exclusive service provider for PS Vita in the United States. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G/Wi-Fi models available, PS Vita will enable infinite possibilities for you to "encounter," "connect," "discover," "share" and "play" with your friends wherever they are.

Q: Do all PS Vita users have to sign up with a cell phone provider?
A: No. Users can enjoy PS Vita using only Wi-Fi.

Q: How do you buy PS Vita games?
A: You can download PS Vita games and other content from PlayStation Store to a storage media via the Internet or buy the new game medium at retailers.

Q: What game format will the PS Vita use?
A: PS Vita will utilize the new game medium.

Q: Will users be able to access PlayStation Store from both 3G and Wi-Fi?
A: PlayStation Store will be able to be accessed from both 3G and Wi-Fi.

Q: Which carrier will users need to subscribe to use the 3G networks?
A: Partnering with AT&T, which powers the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, who will serve as the exclusive service provider for PS Vita in the United States.

Q: Can you use PS Vita as a phone?
A: No.

Q: What are the specs of the OLED screen?
A: 5 inches (16:9), 960x544 pixels, Approx. 16,770,000 colors displayed

Q: What colors will be available at launch?
A: This will be announced at a later time.

Q: Does the PS Vita support Bluetooth headsets / headphones?
A: Commercially available Bluetooth headsets will work, however, it may function differently depending on the device specifications.

Q: Can you use a commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse? Can you connect the PS3 wireless controller to the PS Vita like the PSPgo?
A: No. Users cannot use commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse or a PS3 wireless controller on the PS Vita.

Q: Can you access the Internet by connecting PS Vita to a Bluetooth supported cell phone?
A: No.

Q: Why didn't you introduce stereoscopic 3D (without glasses) to PS Vita?
A: In the development process, we studied the possibility of introducing stereoscopic 3D feature to PS Vita, but decided not to install it. After careful consideration of our goal of offering users the ultimate portable entertainment experience with revolutionary user interface, we have decided to focus on the features and spec announced first.

Q: Does PS Vita have internal memory?
A: PS Vita is equipped with the storage media slot so that users can choose what memory capacity they want to utilize depending on their use.

Q: What is "Near"?
A: Near is a core PS Vita feature composed of location-based services, that utilize PlayStation Network. Near, developed specifically for this service and the network , will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

Q: Do you need 3G network connection to enjoy Near?
A: Users can enjoy Near using Wi-Fi, but to enjoy further what Near offers, 3G connection is preferred. Users will be able to obtain more information and encounter new players in real time by using 3G connection.

Q: What is "LiveArea"?
A: Every game title for PS Vita will be provided with a space called "LiveArea™" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation Network. Additionally, PS Vita users will be able to view "Activity" log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

Q: Will existing services like Remote Play, Skype, SenseMe, and Comic content for PSP be available for PS Vita as well?
A: We are evaluating the opportunity to offer non-gaming applications/content and will announce details at a later time.

Q: Will Youtube, Flash content and files like PDF be viewable on PS Vita?
A: We are evaluating the opportunity to offer non-gaming applications/content and will announce details at a later time.

Q: What is the difference between the PSP system and the PS Vita in terms of hardware specs?
A:

• Advanced portable entertainment system
    A high performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system. PS Vita also adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, which fits comfortably in users' hands.
  • Revolutionary User Interface
    A unique multi-touch pad on the rear, with the front touch display. Two cameras on it's front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer, and electronic compass.
  • LiveArea™
    Every game title for PS Vita will be provided with a space called "LiveArea™" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players.
  • Location-based services
    SCE will provide location-based services on PS Vita as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called "Near," developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system.
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
    PS Vita is equipped with 3G in addition to Wi-Fi.
  • Closely coordinated with PlayStation Suite
    The newly developed and released game content for Android based portable devices can also be enjoyed on PS Vita.
Q: There are two slots on the PS Vita, what are they for?
A: One is for the new game medium, the other is for storage media to be utilized for personal content and download content.

Q: What kind of game medium will PS Vita support? What is the official name? Why did you decide to introduce it?
A: It is a small flash memory based card, dedicated for PS Vita. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store add-on game content or the game save directly on the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich, immersive games. We will announce the official name at a later date.

Q: What type of storage media will PS Vita support?
A: This will be announced at a later date.

Q: What are the features of the new game medium / storage media?
A:
New game medium

• It can not only store the full software titles but also save data as well as additional game content data. Therefore, the game title can be concluded with one piece of card.
  • Users can play games by just inserting the game medium into PS Vita. (a separate storage media is not required.)
As for storage media, we will announce details at a later date.

Q: How many software titles will be available at launch (in the new game medium/download for each region)?
A: We will announce details at a later date.

Q: What will software pricing look like?

Q: If you buy download content for PS Vita, up to how many systems can you copy it to?

Q: Is PS Vita compatible with other PlayStation platform games like PS3, PS2, or PSP? Do you have any plan to support other PlayStation platforms in the future?
A: Users can play PSP titles, minis and PSone classics titles which are offered on PS Store. We do no have any plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point.

Q: Is PS Vita compatible with PSP content other than games such as video and comics available on PlayStation Store?
A: SCE plans to make those content available on PS Vita.

Q: Can PS Vita users continue using their save data for PSP games that they have also downloaded from PlayStation Store to PS Vita?
A: We are looking into the opportunity to do so.

Q: PS Vita doesn't support UMD but do you have any plan to introduce peripherals like "UMD readers" for PS Vita?
A: We do not have plans to introduce such peripherals at this point in time.

Q: I have UMD games but do I need to buy them again from PlayStation Store to play the same game on PS Vita?
A: We will consider every possibility for support on bought UMD games but we have nothing to comment at this point in time.

Q: Will you bring all UMD games to the new game medium or on the PlayStation Store for PS Vita?
A: SCE with the support of third party developers and publishers have been offering select UMD titles on PlayStation Store and will continue our effort to deliver these content in the form of game medium for PS Vita going forward. However, we will need to clear all copyright / legal related issues and due to this not all software titles will become available on PS Vita. We will announce details for each title when ready.

Q: Will PS Vita support all content that will become available on PlayStation Suite?
A: PS Suite content developed in the new game development environment provided for PS Suite can be enjoyed on PS Vita.

Q: Are PSP/PS3 user's PSN accounts also available on PS Vita?
A: The same PSN accounts will be available on PS Vita.

Q: Do you have any plans to introduce a video output cable? Will PS Vita have HDMI output?
A: No, PS Vita does not have a video output feature.

Q: Can you take out the battery from the system?
A: No. We have adopted embedded battery since PS Vita is equipped with a rear touch pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The analog sticks at the TOP of the system?

Yeah, no. For all of our sakes, let's hope that is just the concept artist trying to be unique.

I think its going to be available in black, white and whatever color specific platformer game that will be the first system seller for the console! It's too bad I have no job to afford one =[

I love my PSP 3000, so I'm sure I'll pick up a PSP2 version at some point. Probably not the launch version.

I'm hoping to hear that my current games will be compatible with the PSP2; some of my games are Disgaea-esque titles, and those have long long lives if you are into grinding.

[quote name='mrx001']Predicition:Running a modified version of Android.So I can download my apps.[/QUOTE]

I just started deving for Android so Id be in for this at up to $250 on day one if thats true.

I like the control schemes on this. I think the touchscreen on the back is a creative solution to what I see as a glaring flaw of most phone games. Is there a reason why people think having the thumbsticks at the top would be a bad idea?

@Frisky-Have you by chance heard anything further on "The Little Battlers" (formerly Cardboard Senki)?

Definitely more interested in this than the 3DS. A year or so ago, it would have been the other way around--then I saw the shitty graphics of the 3DS. I really hope they keep this system BELOW $250. But I could see them going crazy and having it be like $300-350 (since they have no concept of realistic pricing).

If they're smart, they'll put this out at $199--$50 cheaper than the 3DS.

[quote name='mrx001']Predicition:Running a modified version of Android.So I can download my apps.[/QUOTE]
It's not a phone, so it won't have Android.

[quote name='Gourd']I'm hoping to hear that my current games will be compatible with the PSP2; some of my games are Disgaea-esque titles, and those have long long lives if you are into grinding.[/QUOTE]
It's much more likely for everything on PSN than UMD games.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I just started deving for Android so Id be in for this at up to $250 on day one if thats true.

I like the control schemes on this. I think the touchscreen on the back is a creative solution to what I see as a glaring flaw of most phone games. Is there a reason why people think having the thumbsticks at the top would be a bad idea?

@Frisky-Have you by chance heard anything further on "The Little Battlers" (formerly Cardboard Senki)?[/QUOTE]
The right stick in particular seems like it's a very unnatural position for switching between face buttons and the stick.

I only see this as the most recent thing on Little Battlers: http://psp.ign.com/articles/112/1121795p1.html

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's not a phone, so it won't have Android.[/QUOTE]
No it won't be a phone.I'm hopping it'll be more like an ipod touch but with the capability to play real games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

It's much more likely for everything on PSN than UMD games.

[/QUOTE]

Problem is they can't even do that now. I'm 99.9% sure we won't have real backwards compatibility with PSP2. Maybe a handful of games added to PSN but I think some of the best games will stay absent. One good thing about Nintendo's handhelds is that they are BC with at least the previous generation.

I think the analog nubs might be pretty comfortable at the top the more I think about it. Definitely more comfortable than the terrible placement on the current PSP.

[quote name='mrx001']No it won't be a phone.I'm hopping it'll be more like an ipod touch but with the capability to play real games.[/QUOTE]
They have no reason to use a different interface that taps into another company's marketplace when they'd rather everybody buy from them. The iPod Touch is still a phone as far as Apple's concerned, but just a second tier phone for people that don't need the phone part.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Problem is they can't even do that now. I'm 99.9% sure we won't have real backwards compatibility with PSP2. Maybe a handful of games added to PSN but I think some of the best games will stay absent. One good thing about Nintendo's handhelds is that they are BC with at least the previous generation.[/QUOTE]
Which is via hardware BC and Sony's not going to include a UMD drive or any of that stuff to do it that way. Software BC is very possible since they would probably like to continue selling some of those games without the baggage that doomed the Go.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They have no reason to use a different interface that taps into another company's marketplace when they'd rather everybody buy from them. The iPod Touch is still a phone as far as Apple's concerned, but just a second tier phone for people that don't need the phone part.[/QUOTE]
Sony Google TV.I like to connect dots.

You can connect all the dots you want, but whether any of them connect back to SCE and the PSP2 is the only thing that matters and I don't it going that way.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/23/report-psp2-features-oled-screen-will-offer-3g-data/
We're expecting Sony to officially announce and detail the successor to the PSP later this week. But, Japanese newspaper Nikkei is alleging a few early details. Firstly, the portable will supposedly feature an OLED screen. Secondly (and more importantly!), the system will support 3G data, enabling over-the-air multiplayer and video and game downloads. In Japan, the service will be offered by NTT DoCoMo. And although the PSP2 will connect to cellular service, it won't make phone calls -- that's left for the PSP Phone to handle.

The report doesn't detail possible charges for the 3G service, or if there will be an option for a Wi-Fi only version.
Requiring a monthly sub for 3G would be a terrible decision and having two versions would also probably be a bad idea.

I think the 3g could work if they let you buy/view the playstation store for free but charged only for online play. of course it would depend on what they charged too.

Last Oddcast kind of let it slip that they have the PSP2 hardware in-house at 1up. If it is a dev, pre, or final hardware, they didn't clarify.

I don't recall hearing that, but why would they have a PSP2 when they're not a developer nor is the system in any kind of state to be sent out to press months before launch?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Looks like the PSP2 event begins on Thursday at 3 PM in Tokyo, or 1 AM EST/10 PM PST Wednesday night.[/QUOTE]
Yes,I can't wait to see Sony's next Android equipped gaming device.

2 analog sticks!!!
2 Cameras
touch pad on back and front (5 inch oled)
3g and wifi
flash memory
looks like the current psp(non slider)

So already, right off the bat, it seems using the analog sticks will muffle the speakers (just assuming based on the placements of those two parts).

[quote name='Ionotropic']In for one, don't care about the money this time.[/QUOTE]

Im almost on that page. Give me backwards compatibility with my DD PSP titles and Id grab one at almost any price...or at least $300.

Nintendo just got steamrolled. Sony gets my dollars.

Killzone NGP looks sick. Uncharted looks fantastic.

This is awesome.

[quote name='retro.elite']looks as thin as the psp 3000.
they have yet talked about how to get umd games on to it.[/QUOTE]

That's because it can't. It most likely will be able to play your downloaded PSP games but I'm not even sure if that's confirmed yet.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Im almost on that page. Give me backwards compatibility with my DD PSP titles and Id grab one at almost any price...or at least $300.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it'll be backward compatible with DDs. fucking square better release all their current and near future psp titles on PSN if they want to survive.

bread's done
Back