Special LE PS3's for AAA titles/franchise = death of the holiday bundles

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Sony where are the SE PS3's? u already have part of the package w/DS3 & GH game packs push it to the next level. Imagine the possibilities...

Give me a red/white GOW3 theme PS3 w/500GB/750GB/1 TB HD, GOW trilogy, 2 red kratos DS3's
or a camo MGS theme PS3 2 solid snake/big boss DS3's
or a time crisis theme PS3 w/500GB/750GB/1 TB HD, time crisis trilogy, 2 guncons/PS moves
DMC theme PS3 2 ebony/ivory DS3's
MK theme w/Subzero & scorpion DS3's
LBP sackboy theme w/sackboy DS3's
RE theme w/nemesis/licker DS3's
FF theme
Kingdom hearts theme
Tekken theme
SF theme Akuma/Ryu DS3's
GT theme
Motostorm theme
Socom theme
helghast theme
Onimusha theme
SW theme lightsaber/yoda/deathstar DS3's
Prince of Persia theme
motostorm theme
jak and daxter theme
Burnout theme
MOH theme
resistance theme
rachet and clank theme
Soul caliber theme

think of some of the "forgotten" franchises that used to rake in the $ tomb raider,oddworld, syphon filter, twisted metal, crash bandacoot, parasite eve, and ace combat.

Plus look at the newer franchises like Dead space, Assassin's Creed, Batman AA and Naruto or beast franchises like COD, RDR and GTA. Combine these w/PSP or PSP2 and get the ultimate gaming bundles. Not to mention the great game lineup like 2011 and PS3 is unstoppable the only other thing they could do to make everyone happy would be to offer the option of BC but I'll "settle" for this.

Why would they bother? The cost of tooling a factory to do custom designs like that isn't cheap which is why its done very rarely and only for certain consoles. They would have to charge a lot more to recoup their costs and very few people would buy it.

Also FYI you do know they use laptop hard drives, and not desktop hard drives? If you want to pay $2000 for a PS3 i'm sure someone will paint you a custom one.

These systems would only serve to make things worse by clogging up store shelves with systems of very limited appeal since most people would prefer to just have the plain systems.

I know the last of the old Xbox 360s at my local Best Buy was the Final Fantasy XIII system that they were still charging $350 for while it was surrounded by $200 and $300 systems. Microsoft went overboard with that stuff, so there's no reason for Sony to do the same.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']These systems would only serve to make things worse by clogging up store shelves with systems of very limited appeal since most people would prefer to just have the plain systems.

I know the last of the old Xbox 360s at my local Best Buy was the Final Fantasy XIII system that they were still charging $350 for while it was surrounded by $200 and $300 systems. Microsoft went overboard with that stuff, so there's no reason for Sony to do the same.[/QUOTE]

maybe if they did a special order kind of thing where for 25 or 50 bucks more you can buy a le console from sony or if at the very least they sold the cases and you could put it together yourself.

hell with how easy older model ps3s get scratched they could do business selling replacement cases.

Yeah, i purchased a Halo 3 Edition 360 for $50 extra and only because thats the only version they had left in stock.

Ugly Olive Green Xbox.........ughh

Brian9824

If they were to do this it would need to be "truly" LE like only 50,000 total per franchise which is only 1,000 per state. They would be more expensive than the reg. PS3's but should also be more dependable b/c the bugs have been worked out.
A 1TB HD ps3 is worth? $60 game, $40 HD game coll, an extra $55 DS3, add a $20 Gift card voucher for PS Move bundle or PSP/PSP2 to further expand the userbase.

Share the cost of production by Walmart/Kmart/Gamestop/Amazon/Target/Sears/TRU etc. bidding for which franchise will be their store exclusive
Also game companies like EA would love to rejuvenate a franchise offering tons of exclusive DLC and extras to previous versions of fan favorite GH titles to keep the franchises strong.

I've had all three PS but never played MGS 1/darkstalkers/FF/oddworld/ICO b/c there was just so many games it's hard to keep track.

FriskyTanuk

no overboard if it's released on the day MVC3 comes out should be sold out w/i 2 weeks they got to keep them limited.
I know ppl right now that would trade in there current PS3 for one of these if it was BC and pay IPAD $...$500-$600 hands down. If they market it right like say 5 of these bundles have an extra $60 PS3 game voucher that would peak interest too.

The only problem with doin this now is that it's so late in the console cycle where as if these where avail. from launch and depending on the game companies maybe only 3-4 would come per yr but what ever game that came should be in high demand
like GOW/GT5/RE/KZ3/LBP it would need to a game that will sell 2 million.

How much would u pay and what franchise, what design?

Last edited by a moderator:
5,000 units would not be worth Sony's time. Besides the fact that they wouldn't spread it around even to states and retailers, a specific may only get one system if even that. GameStop alone has 6,500 stores across the US, so they would have to be exclusive to a retailer and supplies would still be incredibly low even then. They would be sold out day one because a store would only have one system to sell. It's a bad idea all around.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']5,000 units would not be worth Sony's time. Besides the fact that they wouldn't spread it around even to states and retailers, a specific may only get one system if even that. GameStop alone has 6,500 stores across the US, so they would have to be exclusive to a retailer and supplies would still be incredibly low even then. They would be sold out day one because a store would only have one system to sell. It's a bad idea all around.[/QUOTE]
Good catch was meant to be 50,000 units and 1,000 per state my bad

[quote name='Enuf']Brian9824

If they were to do this it would need to be "truly" LE like only 50,000 total per franchise which is only 1,000 per state. They would be more expensive than the reg. PS3's but should also be more dependable b/c the bugs have been worked out.
A 1TB HD ps3 is worth? $60 game, $40 HD game coll, an extra $55 DS3, add a $20 Gift card voucher for PS Move bundle or PSP/PSP2 to further expand the userbase.

Share the cost of production by Walmart/Kmart/Gamestop/Amazon/Target/Sears/TRU etc. bidding for which franchise will be their store exclusive
Also game companies like EA would love to rejuvenate a franchise offering tons of exclusive DLC and extras to previous versions of fan favorite GH titles to keep the franchises strong.

I've had all three PS but never played MGS 1/darkstalkers/FF/oddworld/ICO b/c there was just so many games it's hard to keep track.

FriskyTanuk

no overboard if it's released on the day MVC3 comes out should be sold out w/i 2 weeks they got to keep them limited.
I know ppl right now that would trade in there current PS3 for one of these if it was BC and pay IPAD $...$500-$600 hands down. If they market it right like say 5 of these bundles have an extra $60 PS3 game voucher that would peak interest too.

The only problem with doin this now is that it's so late in the console cycle where as if these where avail. from launch and depending on the game companies maybe only 3-4 would come per yr but what ever game that came should be in high demand
like GOW/GT5/RE/KZ3/LBP it would need to a game that will sell 2 million.

How much would u pay and what franchise, what design?[/QUOTE]

You still don't understand. That would cost them more then they would make. It's incredibly pricy to produce items in low quantity because the initial changes to create the items are expensive. It's not just flipping a switch, even if the only difference is cosmetic they will still need to change the case, sku's, box art, manuals, etc. LE consoles aren't profitable, its just a way to advertise which is why its so rarely done. Those costs get lowered the more consoles you create.

Lets say it cost $1,000,000 to re-tool a factory to design these and they only ship 50,000 of them. That means it costs $20 per console, now if they did 500,000 the cost would only be $2 per console.

Thats not even getting into the fact that most people already have their systems and people don't like to deal with the hassle of trading in, selling/rebuying consoles ever 6 months and trying to transfer all their DLC and virtual store purchases over to the new console.

Economics of scale favor mass production for the cheapest price. Please for the love of god take basic economic and business classes before suggesting crazy stuff like this. Also FYI making quantities that low will do nothing but piss off fans and result in scalpers selling them on ebay. Thats one of the WORST idea's i ever heard

Brian9824

Geez, it's just a CAG thread idea damn not my fucking product pitch to SCEA.

Obviously, it would be a bad idea to put this into effect on console that lauched 51 months ago.

I was only focused on the US bundles not worldwide as I live in the US but if this were to go into effect worldwide they would need like 300,000 WW.
If they released 9 bundles per yr worldwide 300,000 units costing $500 each that's 2.7 million consoles sold and $1,350,000,000 per yr approx 11 million consoles and 5.5 billion over similar timeframe. Sony has only sold 46-47 mil PS3's it would be more than 20% of their current total sold at $500 not $300. Sony would also be receiving $ from the game companies and every participating retailer that their not receiving to produce reg. PS3's and out of those 11 mill. consoles the ppl who own them would still be purchasing sony accessories and games throughout their ownership of the system. Think about how many games the average gamer buys a yr and multiply it buy 11 mill. and then over the course of the system cycle Sony would be more than ok. Right now they profit on every system sold at $300.

FYI just b/c I didn't go to business school doesn't mean I don't understand how $hit works I used to make $1000/wk in Jr/sr. HS selling food/soda/candy/donuts out of my bookbag and locker. While idiot kids sold weed/pills that they'd get locked up for I'd just loose whatever food they caught me wit but they never took the $.

You're the one that suggested that they should do it, so you shouldn't be surprised when people point out that it's a bad idea. Even the revised idea above has a ton of ifs and assumptions that it could work in a perfect world.

You still don't get it. They would have to re-tool their factory 10 times a year in order to produce 10 different themed consoles. Each re-tool is a massive investment in time and resources. Its not as simple as just pressing a button on a computer. Each needs to go thru a time consuming process of design, testing, quality control. They need to come up with marketing campaigns for each one, design box art, instructions, and then stop or lessen production of the normal PS3's while the factories are making these LE PS3's.

Then your assuming people will actually buy them. There were FFXIII LE 360's sitting on the shelf for months after bestbuy started to carry them. They ended up being clearanced when the slim came out. Halo Xboxs were being clearanced out at gamestop because people didn't buy them. Granted what your proposing will be smaller print, but the market for a CE console is small, and once someone buys a console they wouldn't buy a 2nd, or a 3rd, or a 4th. So you eliminate your market as soon as you sell the first batch.

Not to mention the fact that if they make these so rare that they are almost impossible to get the result will be people ebaying them and people getting pissed at Sony for making them so rare and hurting their image.

I can speak for most gamers here and say that people would not pay $500 for a console with a different theme, and most certainly not go thru the hassle of selling their existing system for 1/4 of what they paid, and then paying double the original console price to just get a different looking console with no functional improvements.

[quote name='Brian9824']You still don't get it. They would have to re-tool their factory 10 times a year in order to produce 10 different themed consoles. Each re-tool is a massive investment in time and resources.[/QUOTE]

????

For a new case...seriously?

They call the chinese manufacturer and tell'em to use the white plastic for the case, I know it's not that simple, but come on if they are using the same molds, same presses and tools to make the cases, I don't see why they'd have to go through heck and back to make these LE cases.

The only ones that would be a pain would be multi-layered colored ones, but they've already done that before with the FF 13 one and others like that. If it was that time and money intensive, Nintendo, Sony and MS wouldn't take the time to roll out the variant systems like they do.

There is also the concept of market confusion that the console makers want to avoid. Big box retailers don't want too many sku's to worry about and consumers just want to pick up the same box that their neighbor bought. Keep it simple.

The motostorm 320 GB bundle comes out in Europe on 3/16 and the 160/320 GB satin silver ps3 comes out in Japan on 3/10. They'll have at least two 2011 holiday bundles that's 4 this yr so far.

THe Motostorm bundle is just a normal console and game bundled togethor. It's not a special LE PS3.

The satin silver ps3 we will probably get down the road, Japan always gets new stuff first.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm still waiting for a Sony sponsored clear case system. I wanna see my game spinning inside the console.;)[/QUOTE]
027.JPG

Sega always wins baby. Plus, you could play it online during April/May of this year if you still had the modem.

360 gets the star wars & gears bundle Sony counters with...wait for it a White PS3
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/846/846731p1.html
http://gear.ign.com/articles/846/846813p1.html

come on Sony WTF
you mean to tell me with Ico/SOTC or GOW Origins it never occured to anybody ANYBODY to make a Kratos console or Colossus console complete with custom everything damn. They have an Uncharted 3 bundle well woo hoo but really GTFO with that $hit come with something truly special put the UC 2 pk, UC3 & a damn 3-D blu Ray with 2 custom controllers/console for $400. An stop with the R3 doomsday & Socom 4 FD editions with mad promos throw the sharpshooter in with console & 2 FPS(MAG, Socom 4, KZ3, R3). They have so much stuff but know how to capitalize on it.

[quote name='camoor']Why can't you guys just slap the stickers on it.[/QUOTE]ARE U HIGH?
http://www.google.com/search?q=gear...a=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBwQ_AUoAQ

http://www.google.com/search?q=star...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEEQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=914

edit:forgot all about the MW3 bundle Sony could've done this + added a custom move setup too
http://www.google.com/search?q=call...&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBAQ_AUoAQ&biw=539&bih=301

u gonna need way more than fuck stickers LOL way more everything is custom plus there's sound/theme effects
ain't nobody paying an extra $50-$150 for what amounts to a fuck $10 PS3 faceplate http://www.google.com/search?q=PS3+...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=914

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GUNNM']An extra $500 just for a sticker.
gdlk[/QUOTE]

If it was released in the US it would be cheaper.

[quote name='Enuf']scarlett red 320 GB PS3 but not games/extra at the same price? Unless there's gonna be a price drop what good is it?
http://lifeforgaming.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar[/QUOTE]

Its also strange that they say its a "SE" . What is special edition about it ? other then the color? Andits even showing a +50 markup for the uk version.. not good news.

I Guess we will find out april 27th .

bread's done
Back