$21 off Xbox 360 transforming D-Pad wireless controller - Amazon

Someone told me that he bought this for $35 on last year's BF Sale from Amazon.
Can anyone confirm this?

OP, thanks for posting this, but I think it's better for you to put '$43.99 w/ FSSS' on your title rather than how much it's been deducted off the MSRP.

Nice deal. It looks like it is the Play & Charge Kit edition, which makes it cheaper than the older versions.

Really tempted to get this though I've always had bad luck with Play & Charge Kits. I wish I could just but the controller without the battery...

[quote name='Antipodes']Nice deal. It looks like it is the Play & Charge Kit edition, which makes it cheaper than the older versions.[/QUOTE]

Didn't it always come with play & charge? Never seen it without including the one I have.

i already have 4 wireless controllers but have really been wanting to check this one out. i can easily sell one of my standard black elite ones... also, i have $20 amazon credit from the littlebigplanet 2 promo. the fact that it comes with another play and charge kit really makes me want to bite also... so, the question is, worth it for $24?

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Didn't it always come with play & charge? Never seen it without including the one I have.[/QUOTE]

You can only get the transforming one with the play and charge kit.

It seems to be bouncing around this price between Walmart and Amazon.

I'll wait for an unbundled (and black) version as I've no interest in the Stops Charging and Won't Play Anymore Kit.

[quote name='z3razerviper']You can only get the transforming one with the play and charge kit.[/QUOTE]

Figured that may be the case, but just wanted to throw it out there because it makes it cheaper than the older version's P&C kit.

[quote name='Chemosh013']I think this was $40 during BF. I have one and like it. The dpad is snazzy.[/QUOTE]

Is the dpad on yours noisy? Like can you hear clicks when you use it?

I have 2 right now because the first one Amazon sent me had a drifting analog left stick out of the box. But the dpad is nice and tight.

The replacement they sent me has fine analog sticks but the dpad is much looser and makes more noise when you press it.

A zangief player locally swears by this controller but I could not notice a difference. It feels like the same disc based dpad that has plagued the 360 for years.

1. I wish the new dpads came in black color scheme.

2. who are they kidding with the $65 msrp? price is still too steep with $21 off.

[quote name='jer7583']A zangief player locally swears by this controller but I could not notice a difference. It feels like the same disc based dpad that has plagued the 360 for years.[/QUOTE]

You "transformed" the d-pad, right?

I grabbed mine a little while ago from Newegg for $45 w/free ship & no tax. If I didn't already have it I'd jump on this. I love the way it looks!

I picked this up from Amazon a week ago, Directional Pad is much tighter and responsive, and Thumb Sticks is also better because their Concave with no dots

Alright deal I already own one and I love everything about the controller best one they ever made so this might be a chance to get a second one

Do play and charge kit controllers come with a regular battery pack for AA batteries? I'm assuming they don't. I just got some rechargeable batteries as a gift and I'd hate to not even need them anymore (plus play and charge kits don't last very long).

[quote name='Dalerax']Do play and charge kit controllers come with a regular battery pack for AA batteries? I'm assuming they don't. I just got some rechargeable batteries as a gift and I'd hate to not even need them anymore (plus play and charge kits don't last very long).[/QUOTE]

I have this exact kit and it came with both. Note I have heard that the older play and charge cables dont work with the newer controllers but the new ones work with the older controllers. Apparently the new cable chargess better for some reason. But I have not confirmed that.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I have this exact kit and it came with both. Note I have heard that the older play and charge cables dont work with the newer controllers but the new ones work with the older controllers. Apparently the new cable chargess better for some reason. But I have not confirmed that.[/QUOTE]

Wow, it comes with a rechargeable battery pack for the P&C kit AND a AA battery pack? This is news to me. I may have to jump on this deal.

[quote name='Newl']1. I wish the new dpads came in black color scheme.

2. who are they kidding with the $65 msrp? price is still too steep with $21 off.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Then again, I got over a dozen assorted XBox controllers for free from club bing/bing shopping rewards.

I am also of the opinion that $65 is way too high for a controller, especially one that claims to have a single major change. I'm not a fighting game person so I live with my old ones.

if they made controllers with longer battery life, interchangeable textured/smooth grips, enhanced triggers, sleeker look, AND the new d-pad, it might be worth $65.

but that much for a controller is class A nutjobbish!

[quote name='Dalerax']Do play and charge kit controllers come with a regular battery pack for AA batteries? I'm assuming they don't. I just got some rechargeable batteries as a gift and I'd hate to not even need them anymore (plus play and charge kits don't last very long).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dalerax']Wow, it comes with a rechargeable battery pack for the P&C kit AND a AA battery pack? This is news to me. I may have to jump on this deal.[/QUOTE]

The battery that comes in the Play and Charge kit is literally two rechargeable AAs taped together.

[quote name='jcp42877']if they made controllers with longer battery life, interchangeable textured/smooth grips, enhanced triggers, sleeker look, AND the new d-pad, it might be worth $65.

but that much for a controller is class A nutjobbish![/QUOTE]

What do you get out of the existing battery life? My MS rechargeables last a couple of weeks or so and I play several hours a day. If I use the play-n-charge kit though it never fully charges the batteries when it says it's done.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I have this exact kit and it came with both. Note I have heard that the older play and charge cables dont work with the newer controllers but the new ones work with the older controllers. Apparently the new cable chargess better for some reason. But I have not confirmed that.[/QUOTE]

I got one shortly after they were released and mine did not come with the regular battery cover, only the rechargeable battery. Maybe they changed this. Also, this play-n-charge kit is just as shitty as the original and fails to charge properly after a while (this is my 5th total) which is why I use the stand-alone charger.

[quote name='woodcan']
I got one shortly after they were released and mine did not come with the regular battery cover, only the rechargeable battery. Maybe they changed this. Also, this play-n-charge kit is just as shitty as the original and fails to charge properly after a while (this is my 5th total) which is why I use the stand-alone charger.[/QUOTE]

I have the exact opposite problem - I dumped the standalone charger because it stopped charging my batteries - the play and charge cable still works for me - I do have a ton of old/dead batteries though.

[quote name='woodcan']What do you get out of the existing battery life? My MS rechargeables last a couple of weeks or so and I play several hours a day. If I use the play-n-charge kit though it never fully charges the batteries when it says it's done.

I got one shortly after they were released and mine did not come with the regular battery cover, only the rechargeable battery. Maybe they changed this. Also, this play-n-charge kit is just as shitty as the original and fails to charge properly after a while (this is my 5th total) which is why I use the stand-alone charger.[/QUOTE]

That's weird your's did not come with the normal battery cover. I remember thinking when I opened it that it was cool it came with both.

Anyone else's come with or did not come with a cover?

I started searching around and found another person metioning it comes with the standard cover but its in the review on the play asia site

http://www.play-asia.com/Xbox_360_W...paOS-13-71-et-49-en-70-42md-40-1.html#reviews

"Great feeling, great looking.
The transformable D-pad works flawlessly, and is great for fps games that use it for weapon selection.
There is a play and charge kit included, but the controller still comes with the standard battery cover if you require it."

I bought 3 controllers with P and C kits (2 White, 1 Red) and each one has come with a standard battery pack as well. I don't think it would be any different for every controller unless it is a mistake.

[quote name='jer7583']A zangief player locally swears by this controller but I could not notice a difference. It feels like the same disc based dpad that has plagued the 360 for years.[/QUOTE]

This was Game Informer's review too. They basically said "well, it's nice enough, but they didn't fix the problem".

For all the competence Microsoft's shown with the Xbox, I'm baffled by the d-pad. THey never, EVER should have allowed it to launch in that condition in 2005. That it's now 2011, and they STILL haven't fixed it, and don't even seem aware of the problem is insane. It makes it seem like no one there actually plays games. Maybe that's true, but then the rest of what they do seems to competent for there to be no one at Microsoft high enough to go "damn you idiots, fix this!"

[quote name='Wolfpup']This was Game Informer's review too. They basically said "well, it's nice enough, but they didn't fix the problem".

For all the competence Microsoft's shown with the Xbox, I'm baffled by the d-pad. THey never, EVER should have allowed it to launch in that condition in 2005. That it's now 2011, and they STILL haven't fixed it, and don't even seem aware of the problem is insane. It makes it seem like no one there actually plays games. Maybe that's true, but then the rest of what they do seems to competent for there to be no one at Microsoft high enough to go "damn you idiots, fix this!"[/QUOTE]

What's sad is that: When the transformer controller came out, they had an interview on XBox Live with the hardware tech lead. It only took one minute to realize he had no clue.

He started off by saying that Microsoft knew what the problem was and addressed it in two waves:

1. There was an internal problem with how the DPad registered to the controller. He said it was based on the DPad's connection to the contacts on the motherboard.

WRONG! It's all about that stupid wall around the stupid DPad disc. When you press in any direction, there's a chance that you'll shift the disc into the wall, which causes it to bounce off and send the disc into a different direction. Bad for games like Bomberman and Pac Man where you need precise directional control. WAY worse for input-based control where a misunderstanding between D and DF could end you.

BTW, he claims that Microsoft fixed it starting with the European-only Lime Green controller and that all controllers made since have this "fix".

2. There was the tactile side where some people like to feel a circle underneath them while other people need the cross. The transforming DPad disc addresses this.

I actually agree with this. Some people like it one way, some the other.

It doesn't mean you fixed anything though. The DPad is still broken.

So the transformation doesn't actually change anything other then what is under your thumb? Is that right? That's insane if true, and then I'll be glad I didn't buy one. I did buy a HRAP EX-SE, though, and it's great, but I wish I could get something for "couch play" (TM), and wireless.

I assume the battery pack it comes with is compatible with the standalone charger? If it is I'll probably jump on this.

As for things not charging batteries, it's possible your batteries are just dying. I have one battery that will act dead in the controller and then say it's fully charged when I plug it into the charger... Strangely, it actually still gets enough of a charge for it to work again, but I think it's just a function of the battery dying.

[quote name='z3razerviper']That's weird your's did not come with the normal battery cover. I remember thinking when I opened it that it was cool it came with both.

[/QUOTE]

Got mine last week from walmart. Had both battery cover and rechargeable battery pack

[quote name='luminus']Got mine last week from walmart. Had both battery cover and rechargeable battery pack[/QUOTE]

Weird mine which I got from amazon warehouse didnt come with the normal battery case. It just came with the recharbeable which is not a biggie since I was planning to use the rechargeable battery,

I do remember reading somewhere they actually redesigned the rechargeable battery to supposedly hold a longer charge meaning you get more use out of the new ones versus the previous ones.

[quote name='Ccl']What's sad is that: When the transformer controller came out, they had an interview on XBox Live with the hardware tech lead. It only took one minute to realize he had no clue.

He started off by saying that Microsoft knew what the problem was and addressed it in two waves:

1. There was an internal problem with how the DPad registered to the controller. He said it was based on the DPad's connection to the contacts on the motherboard.

WRONG! It's all about that stupid wall around the stupid DPad disc. When you press in any direction, there's a chance that you'll shift the disc into the wall, which causes it to bounce off and send the disc into a different direction. Bad for games like Bomberman and Pac Man where you need precise directional control. WAY worse for input-based control where a misunderstanding between D and DF could end you.[/quote]

Wow, I didn't realize the technical reason for it, but yeah, it's like it's barely usable in an FPS or something for a minor secondary function. It's okay, but still annoying that sometimes I have to press again or it triggers the wrong way.

But for say a 2D platformer or a versus fighting game? Damn. I can't play stuff where 50% of the time it doesn't register, or registers wrong.

There's NO WAY they could not know this if they actually spent time playing games with it, and this new controller just seems so clueless. It's like first, if this actually fixed the problem, it needs to be rolled out across the whole line, not as a special more expensive pad. But it doesn't even get at what the problem IS! I didn't hear what you mentioned above, but I did see some Microsoft release about "we've heard all the complaints about it, so now we've fixed it by making it cross shaped!" And it's like...THAT WASN'T THE PROBLEM!

It is honestly just astounding to me, and does seem to indicate that somewhere high up the line some suit absolutely will not listen to underlings.

BTW, he claims that Microsoft fixed it starting with the European-only Lime Green controller and that all controllers made since have this "fix".

This isn't true, is it?

2. There was the tactile side where some people like to feel a circle underneath them while other people need the cross. The transforming DPad disc addresses this.

I actually agree with this. Some people like it one way, some the other.

It doesn't mean you fixed anything though. The DPad is still broken.

Yeah, and personally regarding that? I probably prefer the single thing. The Saturn's pad was AWESOME, and I prefer that design to the SNES or Playstation d-pad...BUT those do obviously work just fine. This is broken.

[quote name='crunchewy']So the transformation doesn't actually change anything other then what is under your thumb? Is that right? That's insane if true, and then I'll be glad I didn't buy one.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's right. It's completely, insanely baffling. We're six years in, they've actually designed and released a whole new pad, and someone high up at Microsoft making decisions STILL HAS NO CLUE WHAT THE fuckING PROBLEM IS which they would know if they picked the damn thing up and tried playing Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat or something.

[quote name='z3razerviper']That's weird your's did not come with the normal battery cover. I remember thinking when I opened it that it was cool it came with both.

I started searching around and found another person metioning it comes with the standard cover but its in the review on the play asia site

http://www.play-asia.com/Xbox_360_W...paOS-13-71-et-49-en-70-42md-40-1.html#reviews

"Great feeling, great looking.
The transformable D-pad works flawlessly, and is great for fps games that use it for weapon selection.
There is a play and charge kit included, but the controller still comes with the standard battery cover if you require it."
[/QUOTE]

My controller came with both, rechargeable pack and the battery cover. The three other Play & Charge kits I've bought previous have included the same. I think a mistake was made if the cover wasn't included.

Considering the fact that Microsoft has sent me a replacement battery pack in the past with no requirement that I send in proof of purchase, I think a call to Customer Support will get you a free cover sent to you with little trouble.

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']I know I'm in the minority here, but I miss the big ass original XBOX controllers. They gave me something to hold onto.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one, the controller was fine I the buttons were pretty crappy though.

I think I only ever owned an 's', which now feels GIGANTIC even compared to the 360 controller, which maybe feels a little big to me. At the time I liked the 's' fine though...and I remember it having a FUNCTION D PAD! :mad: :lol:

bread's done
Back