- - - - -

CAGcast #226: Amazballs

#91 smthng   Just a hoopy frood CAGiversary!   411 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Between the last two shows I've learned that you either clean glory holes or watch gay orgies for a living..

Unfortunately, that's about all I got out of this CAGcast (and some nonsense about kids shows or something). The first nine minutes of utter crap got me so torqued off that I realized I wasn't even listening by the time I'd made it to 15 minute mark.

Might I recommend that you make two podcasts? The "CrapCast" could be 45 minutes or so of stuff that has nothing to do with games while you all just catch up on Skype or something. Then do a 15 minute CAGcast where games are actually discussed. That would be kind of cool.

Edit:I should note that when you're actually talking about games, the 'cast is quite decent.

Edited by smthng, 27 January 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#92 jaystaeb8   Too Little Time CAGiversary!   123 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I have one major problem with the 3DS. I haven't enjoyed a Mario, Zelda or Nintendo franchise game in probably about 15 to 20 years. The 3DS promises more of the same, except in 3D with a higher per game cost. I haven't missed my DS Lite in the last 3 years, even my kids have stopped playing their DS's and they are only 4 and 6 years old. They play iPod touch because they can play so many more different experiences. I have to charge their iPods about every 2 or 3 days. I haven't charged their DS's in 3 or 4 months.

I am not saying the 3DS is doomed, it will sell well, better than the PSP2, which I am looking forward to, however it won't come close to DS, DS Lite, GBA numbers simply because of apple products. Especially at the $250 price point. iPod Touch and 25-30 games, $250-$300 depending on the games. 3DS and 1 game, $300.

#93 solipse   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:42 AM

Thanks Cheapy... just used one of your godaddy codes.

#94 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4866 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:14 AM

Greatest idea ever for the PSP2! A little portable, plug in UMD drive!! Like what you could get for a netbook. That would be an awesome way to add backwards compatibility! It will never happen of course, but would still be awesomesauce!

#95 Walt Jay   Gamerscore Whore CAGiversary!   1471 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:44 AM

Great show guys. Wombat needs to be on codeine every episode! :D

Also, I'd like to enter Cheapy "win $6" contest.

#96 BEARDtuzzi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   106 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

Gimme dat twin stick shit.

Please!

#97 MattBWild   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

MattBWild

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

Where is the website you guys referenced that tracks the amount of time you spend on a game?

#98 davidb69   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

davidb69

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

Good show! Seemed to be more fun and less serious than normal.

For people that don't know what Wombat is talking about, here is the Clifford kid before the wheelchair:

And after:

I have read the same book to all 4 of my kids and wondered the same thing.

(Images grabbed from youtube: )

My wife says because the clothes are different, it's possible the other family has another child. Check out the different hair and clothes

#99 davidb69   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

davidb69

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

Where is the website you guys referenced that tracks the amount of time you spend on a game?

www.raptr.com

I added everyone as friends, funny things I noticed was xbox and psn was available for tracking, why don't you track you PSN time?

#100 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7576 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

www.raptr.com

I added everyone as friends, funny things I noticed was xbox and psn was available for tracking, why don't you track you PSN time?

PlayStation 3 time tracking requires running the Raptr client. Running the Raptr client requires a Windows PC. All three of us use Macs.

#101 visorman30   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

visorman30

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

Fun show guys, the part about the wheelchair was funny but I don't really see a need to censor the page.

Also, thought it was funny when you guys talked about how X-box fans would react to criticism. I'm sure it wouldn't be good, we're not talking about the most mature group of people (as a incredible generality) and there are tons of X-box kids running around shit-talking and making Live annoying. I think the time when the X-box defense force really showed itself was when the cost of Live increased. Instead of the usual rage about the price increase (which in my opinion, for the service should seriously be free) there was a lot of rationalization and justification. Anyways, I always enjoy the show, please keep up the good work I'm sure sometimes the show can be a bit of a drag/grind.

#102 LiK   Internet Superstar CAGiversary!   2303 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Cheapy: "So here comes this giant retard, sorry, I mean, mentally retarded..."

ROFL!

#103 skubish   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   911 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Regarding Shipwreck producing quicklooks. I think he should call them peep shows. Sorry if this has already been posted. I didn't read the whole thread.

#104 kingkiller33   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   320 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

kingkiller33

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

Dunno, I'm with Cheapy when it comes to frustrating games. My gaming time is limited and my backlog big enough that it takes all my willpower to even finish some games, let alone the ones that are too punishing. That said, I tend to make exceptions for retro-style games like Donkey Kong Country Returns.

One more thought on the PS3 and then I'll leave the conversation: A lot of people buy them because they're really good Blu-ray players. I dig the games, but the movie functionality was what pushed me over the edge—and helped my wife be okay with a $300 purchase. Thanks to the PS3 remote and optical audio out, it's also my player of choice for Netflix streaming.

I review DVDs and Blu-rays, and there has been a scary increase in discs that don't play correctly on all BR machines, whether because of weird file architecture or firmware incompatibility. In those cases, the PS3 seems to be the only one that works (nearly) every time.

The netflix streaming is superior on PS3 also. You can search for titles, and it displays icons for your queue across the whole screen. With Xbox, I have to scroll left to right which takes forever.

#105 gh0ul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   6 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Great show guys as always. Never even heard about two worlds 2 before the show. Very interested now. Thanks

#106 kingkiller33   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   320 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

kingkiller33

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

Fun show guys, the part about the wheelchair was funny but I don't really see a need to censor the page.

Also, thought it was funny when you guys talked about how X-box fans would react to criticism. I'm sure it wouldn't be good, we're not talking about the most mature group of people (as a incredible generality) and there are tons of X-box kids running around shit-talking and making Live annoying. I think the time when the X-box defense force really showed itself was when the cost of Live increased. Instead of the usual rage about the price increase (which in my opinion, for the service should seriously be free) there was a lot of rationalization and justification. Anyways, I always enjoy the show, please keep up the good work I'm sure sometimes the show can be a bit of a drag/grind.

They didn't criticize the X-box though. The Cagcast lately continues to give me a bitter taste especially with the mocking quips about "hating PS3".

Instead, you guys already knock down the PSP2 without even trying it claiming there is just no need or demand to play PS3 quality games on a handheld.

Face it, 2011 is going to be Sony's year. Sony is offering new hardware and tons of exclusives. Xbox gives you the same old experience, no new hardware, only two exclusives, and higher price for online gaming. Gee thanks.

#107 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4866 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Yet the Xbox will still reign supreme for some reason. Something about the way Sony has been doing things just doesn't quite resonate with people. It's bizarre really. I notice it every time I turn on my PS3 after getting off the 360 though.

#108 trip1eX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1598 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have one major problem with the 3DS. I haven't enjoyed a Mario, Zelda or Nintendo franchise game in probably about 15 to 20 years. The 3DS promises more of the same, except in 3D with a higher per game cost. I haven't missed my DS Lite in the last 3 years, even my kids have stopped playing their DS's and they are only 4 and 6 years old. They play iPod touch because they can play so many more different experiences. I have to charge their iPods about every 2 or 3 days. I haven't charged their DS's in 3 or 4 months.

I am not saying the 3DS is doomed, it will sell well, better than the PSP2, which I am looking forward to, however it won't come close to DS, DS Lite, GBA numbers simply because of apple products. Especially at the $250 price point. iPod Touch and 25-30 games, $250-$300 depending on the games. 3DS and 1 game, $300.

I like how a 4 yr old has stopped playing his or her DS. rofl.

#109 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

They didn't criticize the X-box though. The Cagcast lately continues to give me a bitter taste especially with the mocking quips about "hating PS3".

Instead, you guys already knock down the PSP2 without even trying it claiming there is just no need or demand to play PS3 quality games on a handheld.

Face it, 2011 is going to be Sony's year. Sony is offering new hardware and tons of exclusives. Xbox gives you the same old experience, no new hardware, only two exclusives, and higher price for online gaming. Gee thanks.

What specifically should I be facing. I want to be sure I am staring at the correct thing, like the wall or the floor?

#110 bgame2   Pure Cag Smoothness CAGiversary!   3555 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Two shows in a row I agreed with Wombat about multiple things. You're right, "Content is king." Assuming the content provided for a console is good, then the price for the system becomes somewhat of a necessary evil.

Having said that, can you guys please comment on the phenomena known as "The year of the PS3" aka "Sony's year". To the best of my knowledge this has spawned from the gibberish of IGN editors who keep harping on this being the "Year of the PS3".

In my opinion this is the equivalent of winning the last lap of a four lap race. Does anyone care if you lose by 10 seconds instead of 20? Nintendo and Microsoft have won the generation. Profits and Install base are what they care about. This silly slogan seems to give the impression that Sony would rather win 2011 than have more consoles installed than Microsoft and Nintendo.

Exclusives mean nothing unless they sell systems. Microsoft continues to sell 360's based on the system's existing popularity. If you haven't already bought a system, you're not buying Call of Duty and a PS3 when your friends are playing the same game on the 360.

Also: Feel better Wombat.

Edited by bgame2, 29 January 2011 - 02:19 AM.

#111 rightangle90   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   29 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

rightangle90

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

Good show, it was entertaining.

A small correction about Dead Rising 2, you can run away from the psychopath fights by going to another area, and those psychopaths will still be waiting there if you decide to go back. But if you're low on health, the boss might kill you before you get the chance to run away.

Dead Rising 2 is both a fun game and an annoying game. They should really do something about those psychopath fights. Like giving us a block button or something. I think Ted, the mentally disabled guy, can be knocked down for a few seconds. I think the sledgehammer can do that if you jump and attack him. The sledgehammer should slam down. I know the
Spoiler
can. Sadly, most bosses can't be knocked down.

For Leon, the douchebag, if you manage to jump out of the way, you can get him to crash into the fountain or that mountain-like area. That should stop him for a second or two. Avoid those chainsaws! If that doesn't work, he will eventually go in circles and taunt you. Which will give you a few seconds to hit him at least once. Rinse and repeat. I wish they made these boss fights better. Something about only attacking them during one or two moments feels too restrictive.

kingkiller33: In past CAGcasts, they have criticized the Xbox 360. Like the Kinect or the naming of the "New Xbox Experience". Nothing really recent to criticize, I suppose. I don't keep up on Xbox 360 news unless it happens to be up on joystiq.

#112 jh6269   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1630 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

What specifically should I be facing. I want to be sure I am staring at the correct thing, like the wall or the floor?

You should be sitting in the corner in time out.

#113 MattBWild   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

MattBWild

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:10 AM

Thanks you guys!

#114 padumavati   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   32 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

padumavati

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

As an almost exclusive PS3 owner and player (my bf has a 360 but it's not hooked up to the big TV), I don't really care when the CAG crew makes fun of it. Most of their criticism is deserved and is backed up by the smaller number of consoles sold. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the console, which I still think has tremendous advantages over the 360. Although I do want to *headdesk* anytime there's a software update.

As for the 3DS, $250 is a lot for people who are going to hand it over to a kid. But after thinking about it a bit, I'll get one. The bulk of my gaming is on the DS and I skipped getting the DSi so I'm looking forward to a new DS (especially in teal... I'm a sucker).

As for the DCU MMO, I'm disappointed that it's so blah sounding. I have no interest in an MMO really, but I'd kill for a DCU RPG. Sounds like their attempt at a hybrid will leave DC fans wanting more without delivering.

#115 Salmonday   Cranky Old Man CAGiversary!   531 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:11 AM

I think Shipwreck's greenscreen preview show should be called "Cheap Shots."

#116 Blackout  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:31 AM

In typical CAGCast fashion, you guys spent almost no time discussing almost 20 pages of criticisms from last weeks show. The only thing missing was Wombat whining that all the people said the same thing.

I still fail to see why you guys dedicated an entire episode to the PS3. Was there any point to that entire thing? For the 360, you spent like 2 minutes looking at the system-with no criticisms, no deep discussions, no thoughts, no Microsoft failings, no 2011 outlooks- like you did with the PS3. You guys spent more time discussing shitty Itouch games no one cares about this episode than you did analyzing the 360. I think when people asked for you all to look at the 360, they were expecting the same amount of time and effort as you put into the PS3. I guess that was too much to expect.

I think if the PSP2 is priced at $300, it will definitely be competitive against the 3DS. It doesn't need to be $250, although that would be even better. The presentation they did showed a lot of cool features. The 3DS just seems dated after Sony's presentation, and it hasn't even been released yet. I think the next system will be much more successful than the original PSP.

Funny show though. Wombat seems to be a lot funnier when he's sick as hell.

#117 KingBroly   CAG Club Nintendo CAGiversary!   15248 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

KingBroly

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

NGP's problem is that it is essentially alienating the entire PSP base because it doesn't UMD's and most likely won't allow any sort of transfer to digital copies for those games. Additionally, they've eliminated the need for customers and stores to buy copies of PSP games since they'll be unusable in a few months on their new handheld.

This battle really strikes of DS vs. PSP all over again and we all know who won that battle. I believe if you look up the definition of insanity in the dictionary you'll find a picture of the Playstation logo next to it, because they just keep doing the same thing over and over again.

#118 Curufinwe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1059 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

The new PSP was never going to use UMDs, so it's hard to be too upset about it.

#119 cplater   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

I feel the same way as CheapyD when it comes to frustration in gaming. To be clear, I'll play the same section of a game over and over, and when I've had enough I put it down, and move on to something else. The next time I sit down to play, I'll do it again. If I still can't get past it, I wait a while longer. The next time I try, if I still can't get past it, the game goes onto my pile of shame to be played when there is nothing else to play.

Kameo was like this. It was the first game I started on the 360, and I got to a point where I was stuck. After many sessions of trying to figure it out I just put it on the shelf until this past Christmas.

To be honest, I'm at a spot on Mass Effect where the same thing is happening, and I'm about to put it up. The only thing keeping me trying is that I really want to get to Mass Effect 2.

#120 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4866 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

I feel the same way as CheapyD when it comes to frustration in gaming. To be clear, I'll play the same section of a game over and over, and when I've had enough I put it down, and move on to something else. The next time I sit down to play, I'll do it again. If I still can't get past it, I wait a while longer. The next time I try, if I still can't get past it, the game goes onto my pile of shame to be played when there is nothing else to play.

Kameo was like this. It was the first game I started on the 360, and I got to a point where I was stuck. After many sessions of trying to figure it out I just put it on the shelf until this past Christmas.

To be honest, I'm at a spot on Mass Effect where the same thing is happening, and I'm about to put it up. The only thing keeping me trying is that I really want to get to Mass Effect 2.

If you didn't suck so much......KIDDING! Sorry, I had to lol