Taco Bell sued for calling food 'beef'

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
An Alabama law firm is accusing Taco Bell of false advertising, saying the "ground beef" in its tacos contains just 35 percent meat — the rest is reportedly water, oats, "anti-dusting agents," and other fillers and seasonings. The class-action lawsuit was filed on behalf of a California woman, Amanda Obney, who isn't asking for money, but wants Taco Bell to tell customers exactly what is in their tacos, burritos, and chalupas. The fast-food chain said in a statement that it "prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value," and that it will "vigorously" fight any accusation that it misleads customers. Which side has the legitimate beef? (Watch a CNN report about the "meat filling")

http://theweek.com/article/index/211397/does-taco-bell-serve-real-beef-or-meat-filling

I think the most disturbing part of all of this is that the USDA only requires 40% beef for "taco filling"...Taco Bell is just a little short.

Oh, and here's the ingrediant list for Taco Bell's "taco filling"...

Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

http://gizmodo.com/5742413/this-is-what-really-hides-in-taco-bells-beef

Enjoy!

article-1350494-0CE871BD000005DC-229_468x286.jpg

Wait. So I can still eat this and get some fiber in my diet? Awesome!

(Most people aren't going to Taco Bell because it's nutritious or good food...)

I'm not really surprised, they don't claim to use 100% beef, they just say "beef chalupa" or something. Can't we just use Hormel Chili with beans to a similar effect?

After watching those Mexican cooking shows on PBS, I'm starting to crave making those foods, but am discouraged by the 10+ ingredients needed to make a torta.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm not really surprised, they don't claim to use 100% beef, they just say "beef chalupa" or something. [/QUOTE]

exactly, they should be calling it a "taco meat filling chalupa".

Anti-dusting agent you say? I don't really care if the cow I'm eating got high or not. I mean, he kind of deserves it when I'm going to be expelling him from my bowels in around 12 hours minutes.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm not really surprised, they don't claim to use 100% beef, they just say "beef chalupa" or something. Can't we just use Hormel Chili with beans to a similar effect?

After watching those Mexican cooking shows on PBS, I'm starting to crave making those foods, but am discouraged by the 10+ ingredients needed to make a torta.[/QUOTE]

O Mexico - 1 plate at a time? That guy isn't even mexican, is he?

He makes some good stuff, and his daughter is kinda cute, if a little young.

Face it, mexican food is basically peppers, meat, some kind of tortilla, cheese and beans in about 1,000,000,000 different variations.

Beef is the number one ingredient in their taco meat. They aren't claiming it's "100% All Beef"... and it's delicious. If everything tasted as delicious I could swear off beef tacos altogether and just have me some tofu and soy tacos.

Gasp! TBell is making us eat more grains and less meat? They're trying to kill us! Oh wait, their tacos are 80 cents? yeah then I don't care.

PS - just another excuse for a no name law firm to get into the papers. I could see if they were being secretive about their ingredients, but it's readily available information. It's not like the product is making people sick or caused any harm whatsoever. Yay for wasting more money in the court system for a stupid case that will probably be settled because it's cheaper for Taco Bell. It's sad really. I know she's not asking for any money, but no law firm is going to take on a legal case for disclosure of taco meat ingredients, and no class action suit member is going to front money to a law firm to represent it for that result. I would love to see what else that chick eats without suing those companies.

[quote name='dannyox718']Gasp! TBell is making us eat more grains and less meat? They're trying to kill us! Oh wait, their tacos are 80 cents? yeah then I don't care.[/QUOTE]

Lol, my thoughts exactly. It's not like they're using half formed or mutant chickens to produce their meat like KFC and others. Maybe they're mad because of the healthier fillers added. "If I wanted healthy, I'd fucking eat a salad."

Stupid lawsuit.

But I've long avoided Taco Bell anyway, food is just disgusting. If I'm going to eat a crappy, unhealthy tex mex meal I at least want quality beef or chicken or pork etc. in it so I at least enjoy the taste whilst consuming too many calories.

I'm not saying Taco Bell is high quality, but man, does it hit the spot in my books from time to time. I would eat it once a month or so if I had it readily available. I try to only do fast food once every 2 weeks or longer though. I'd take Taco Bell over most others any day of the week. I know all of the issues people claim to have (taco shits, food poisoning, defacation in the meat, etc) but I've never felt bad after eating it or noticed any change in taste or quality. The same can't be said for burger king or mcdonalds in my area.

I swear though, if fast food wasn't bad for me, or expensive, I would probably eat it just about every day.

Yeah, it's pretty much an instant enema for me. But I have irritable bowel issues.

Fast food burgers don't bother me, but I still avoid them most of the time (other than maybe Five Guys occasionally). If I have to grab something from Mc Ds or BK etc. when in a hurry I'll with with a grilled chicken sandwich or a salad most of the time.

These places certainly don't make it hard to avoid fast food... I'm lucky to east FF more than a handful of times a year. I just don't go anywhere often enough to need to buy this junk.

It took someone really this long to realize that. Wow.

As much as I sometimes eat there, we have always (I am going back 15 years when I was in High School) refer to Taco Hell's beef as dog food as it hardly looks like beef.

They'll never be able to live down this bad press. This is a PR nightmare for them.

My friends and I call it "Toxic Hell"

Does this mean it's ok for vegatarians to eat there?

[quote name='2DMention']They'll never be able to live down this bad press. This is a PR nightmare for them.

Does this mean it's ok for vegatarians to eat there?[/QUOTE]

Or people will go back to not giving a shit because hey it's cheap, I'm trying to think of a major fast food chain that hasn't survived a mountain of bad press.

"Modified corn starch". Great so it's also got at least one GMO in it. X-(

Oh and notice that "autolyzed yeast extract"? That's usually code for including one or two of the ingredients of MSG in it.
You see, unless you have ALL the ingredients of MSG in it you don't have to label it as such. Just a word of warning.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Or people will go back to not giving a shit because hey it's cheap, I'm trying to think of a major fast food chain that hasn't survived a mountain of bad press.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the majority of people eating at fast food joints know the food is terrible quality and horribly unhealthy.

They eat anyway because it's cheap and convenient. I avoid it as much as I can as I'm pretty health conscious and not a cheap ass when it comes to food.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Or people will go back to not giving a shit because hey it's cheap, I'm trying to think of a major fast food chain that hasn't survived a mountain of bad press.[/QUOTE]

Del taco pretty much disappeared because of that. I believe that long john's silvers had a problem because of bad press, as well, though they didn't close all their stores, they did close a lot of them

Del taco, and I believe that long john's silvers had a problem because of bad press. Though they didn't close all their stores, they did close a lot of them Edit: I take it back Del taco is not gone, but this one doesn't look like the del taco from the 80s. Ugh, sorry about the double post I didn't hit any buttons that would've caused that.

I'm more afraid of KFC's chickens than Taco Bell's meat substitute.

I mean....genetically modified chickens. To me, that's worse.

[quote name='tcrash247']Who cares? Taco Bell is awesome.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='whoknows']This thread made me hungry so I went to Taco Bell.

It was delicious.[/QUOTE]

And this.

[quote name='Gden']Del taco, and I believe that long john's silvers had a problem because of bad press. Though they didn't close all their stores, they did close a lot of them Edit: I take it back Del taco is not gone, but this one doesn't look like the del taco from the 80s. Ugh, sorry about the double post I didn't hit any buttons that would've caused that.[/QUOTE]

I love Del Taco more than I love Taco Bell. I love 49 cent burritos, 30 cent tacos, basically their entire menu, etc. Also, I see them everywhere by me and in Cali/Arizona, so I'm not sure where they closed, outside of fucking Louisiana:bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='Gden']Del taco pretty much disappeared because of that. I believe that long john's silvers had a problem because of bad press, as well, though they didn't close all their stores, they did close a lot of them[/QUOTE]

What was the issue and when did this occur? Del Tacos seem to b everywhere in the regions they exist. They never were nationwide (or worldwide) like Taco Bell.

We used to have Del Tacos here in Georgia, but not anymore. There was one in town and in every surrounding town, but that was 20 years ago. Haven't seen one since.

I've got a Taco Bell a block over, but I only eat there once every few months. Always regret it afterwards. *fart* :p

[quote name='xeno']Never liked their "beef" so meh.But their cinnamon twist i love.[/QUOTE]
By now that may have as much if not more beef then their tacos. Eitherway delicious still.

[quote name='2DMention']They'll never be able to live down this bad press. This is a PR nightmare for them.

Does this mean it's ok for vegatarians to eat there?[/QUOTE]

That's funny because on nearly every news show I watched this morning, when they quizzed the customers who were there, they got replies of, "it's cheap, I don't expect it to be gourmet" to "I saw all the publicity and that's why I'm here at Taco Bell. It made me hungry."

Taco Bell is counter-suing these lawyers that brought on this suit now.

[quote name='lordopus99']It took someone really this long to realize that. Wow.

As much as I sometimes eat there, we have always (I am going back 15 years when I was in High School) refer to Taco Hell's beef as dog food as it hardly looks like beef.[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that, because coincidentally, it is. There are 5 grades of meat. Prime, choice, select, commercial and utility. Choice and select are grocery store meats. Prime is the best you can get (which is what we get through suppliers in Chicago). Then there's commercial, which is MOST fast food, including McDonalds and Burger King. And then there's utility, which is dog food...and Taco Bell tacos. :lol:

I would sooner eat my cat's fancy feast cat food then this crap. At least some of it looks like actual cut up meat and not some sort of paste. Seriously, they could just load the "meat" into an ice cream machine and fill the tacos like that, would probably save time.

The people who eat at Taco Bell do so because they don't care. I personally find it revolting but you're not exactly gonna find high class folk there. The Yum! brands company in general caters to people who want lots of low quality food for cheap.

[quote name='2DMention']O Face it, mexican food is basically peppers, meat, some kind of tortilla, cheese and beans in about 1,000,000,000 different variations.[/QUOTE]

Your point? Most foods are based around the staples of their culture. By that rationale Italian food is nothing but noodles tomatoes and cheese.

[quote name='antlp89']Taco bell is some of the most authentic Mexican food you can buy.[/QUOTE]

It is my favorite place to get Mexican food from.

[quote name='davo1224']The people who eat at Taco Bell do so because they don't care. I personally find it revolting but you're not exactly gonna find high class folk there. The Yum! brands company in general caters to people who want lots of low quality food for cheap.[/QUOTE]

this is idiotic

bread's done
Back