* * * * * 1 votes

Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

#1741 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

Hmm, I locked on... I just locked on and stayed right at is 4 o'clock, and when he strikes, you get on his 6 and stab him in the ass.

Locking on isn't going to make you lose, I just think it's easier to get behind him when you're not locked on.

#1742 jh6269   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1630 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Getting to Nito is harder than actually fighting Nito. Glorious True Greatsword of Artorias makes skeletons dead dead.

That's what I'm trying to use now. I need to grind to get my strength high enough to wield it though. Four more fricking levels to go :(

#1743 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I used a Divine Claymore on the skeletons with Nito and it kept them down, so a divine weapon should work. Also, as everyone else said, stay near the area where you land so that the giant skellies don't join in.

If you're too far away he'll use the sword spell (where red swords come out of the ground, I forget the name), so he might do that just once or so until he gets closer. Then just try to stay beside him and whack away, but be ready to run away when he pulls back to do that big AoE attack where the black stuff rushes out across the floor.

#1744 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

That's nice that you got some help from a former enemy. Cool stuff.

Totally. I think most people are nice, just have to send a friendly message and accept that some people are griefers.

Yeah NG+ really the noticeable changes are the low level weak guys, like the zombies and the crystal soldiers. They do waaaay more damage than before. Also boss HP is noticably higher later in the game. Four Kings, I'm looking at you motherfuckers.

Yeah they do more damage. And they might have twice as much HP, but my weapons do 4 times the damage they did at the early stages of the game so I'm one-shotting lots of enemies that took several hits at that point in NG. Plus my spells and other gear are so much better, it's just not difficult.

Taurus demon came withint about 5% of being one-shotted by the plunging attack with +5 Lightning Bastard sword (and quick Great Combustion upon landing finished him before he could even react). Gargoyles took a few hits but were still a joke. I'm in Anor Londo now, so we'll see if the enemies start catching up to my weapons soon.

#1745 Azazael13   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   604 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I used the Eagle Shield +10, Lightning Spear +3 (or so), pick whatever rings you want. Get close to him and circle around the back of him, when he tries to hit you, go around behind him and hit him. When he flies up in the air, back away and heal if necessary.

If you do it right, you'll almost never get hit.

I will give that a shot. He kept two shotting me last night, was really annoying. He kept doing his stupid shockwave move no mater where I was and hitting me.

#1746 IRHari   COME ON! CAGiversary!   3816 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

Once you land, run to the middle of all the pillars. I found that if you do that he usually waits a couple seconds to do his first shockwave. That way you can chug estus to get back to full health.

THen you're gonna want to run behind him, stay a tails length behind him. Wait until the shockwave dissipates then run up and get a few hits in. Repeat.

Make sure you watch out for his butt stomp where he jumps up in the air and rotates to face you. There is a shock wave from that if you're really close to him. But the lag for that move is huge when he lands, so get a few hits in there too.

#1747 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11173 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

I will give that a shot. He kept two shotting me last night, was really annoying. He kept doing his stupid shockwave move no mater where I was and hitting me.

Keep in mind his shockwave extends about 3 to 5 feet behind his butt when it lands so you need to be a good distance back even when behind him.

As for strategies try one of these 3:
http://www.cheapassg...159#post9000159
http://www.cheapassg...082#post9016082
http://www.cheapassg...913#post9018913

#1748 Assasin   Demi-God CAGiversary!   2183 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

So I finally have started to farm for Souvenir of Reprisals.......-_-
That's all I have to say.

#1749 jh6269   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1630 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:46 AM

I used a Divine Claymore on the skeletons with Nito and it kept them down, so a divine weapon should work. Also, as everyone else said, stay near the area where you land so that the giant skellies don't join in.

If you're too far away he'll use the sword spell (where red swords come out of the ground, I forget the name), so he might do that just once or so until he gets closer. Then just try to stay beside him and whack away, but be ready to run away when he pulls back to do that big AoE attack where the black stuff rushes out across the floor.

OK, I had an easier time this time. I had to gain 8 levels just to wield the Greatsword of Artorias. I bumped it up to +5. Then I went to the baby skeleton pool and equipped the Golden Serpent ring and also the Ring of the Evil Eye and farmed humanity. Spent some time there and farmed 30 humanity for the Chaos Servant covenant.

So that Greatsword of Artorias can take those bastards down in one hit, and they stayed down. After that, Nito wasn't that bad; I had my Estus flask upgraded to +3 and kindled the bonfire to 20. I had to heal quite a bit, but I killed Nito on the first try.

Anyway, thanks guys, I was getting very frustrated with this one. :applause:

#1750 Se7en69   Revolutionary! CAGiversary!   366 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

Out of all the games I've played this year, this one has been at the very top of my list. I can only hope they continue making this type of game.

I was looking at vgchartz and it hasn't hit over a million overall yet. Which is very sad. Anybody know if there is any talk of another souls title?

As a gamer, I can't ask for more than what these "souls" game do.

#1751 Azazael13   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   604 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

Keep in mind his shockwave extends about 3 to 5 feet behind his butt when it lands so you need to be a good distance back even when behind him.

As for strategies try one of these 3:
http://www.cheapassg...159#post9000159
http://www.cheapassg...082#post9016082
http://www.cheapassg...913#post9018913

I almost had him a few times last night. At one point he was ~2 hits from death, and then my two year old came up and held a book in front of face 'dada puppy, dada puppy'. Sometimes I wish this game had a pause button ><

#1752 looploop  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

I just got invaded for the first time while exploring the Painted world. I usually never unhollow, but after getting raped by those crow demons a couple times on the stairs I thought I'd try summoning some help(which never came). While exploring the clifftop beyond the phalanx column a black phantom entered my world. I thought he was wielding some huge hammer, but once he got closer I realized it was some bizarre hat. He began assaulting me with powerful pyromancy that left lava flows all over the snow, but I sidestepped them (boy, they have terrible tracking) and ran him through a couple times with the lightning spear. He managed to catch me once with some fire column spell, but after using a flask behind a stonewall I rolled behind him and backstabbed him as he charged another lava fireball.
He dropped a notched whip and like 30,000 souls.
It was pretty fun, though I think I'll dehollow soon so I won't get invaded while trying to make progress...

#1753 jacknicklson  

jacknicklson

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

That was an NPC black phantom and is scripted. There are a couple of them throughout the game

#1754 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11173 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Yep, Xanthous King, Jeremiah. You should find his armor in the boss chamber I think it is.

I found a piece of armor which blends pretty well with the antiquated skirt, the Giant's Armor chest piece. Then it just looks like the skirt is the continuation of a robe with a metal vest on top. Pump it up to +5 with twinkling titanite and it offers triple digit physical defenses, 50+ elemental defenses, and decent resistances at 16.4 weight.

Considering how far I've come I still can't believe the dragon back at the undead parish is kicking my ass. Fire defense ring, flash sweat, dragon shield, good elemental defense armor and I still can't come close to killing him. Thought maybe now with the two gravelord sword miracles and the huge surface area he covers I could sewer him to death but I used all 4 casts and he was barely scratched and then insta-killed me with his vertical inferno flame. Almost seems silly to go to all this effort for 10K souls.

#1755 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Damn Patches pissed me off last night. For some reason Rhea and her two guards never showed up to Firelink in my NG+ (maybe because I didn't join Way of White and thus didn't advance Petrus's dialogue?). I went into the Catacombs after Anor Londo and Patches was near the second bonfire, by the switch to flip the spike bridge. He wasn't there in NG, only in the Tomb of the Giants.

Anyhow, he flipped the bridge for me when I got down to that level and then I talked to him. Just after I crossed it, he flipped it back to spiky! I kind of expected it so I had sprinted across; thankfully I didn't die. I go ahead and beat Pinwheel and grab the Eyes of Death from the Tomb, so now I have enough to level up Gravelord and finish my miracles trophy. And Patches is now in the Tomb, as usual.

I make my way out of the Tomb and back up into the Catacombs, and the damn bridge is still flipped, with me on the other side of it. Fucker. So I have to go through the secret passage and all the way back up and around and then back down to get to Nito and finish the covenant. What a pain in the ass.
</rant>

#1756 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11173 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

I just went ahead and farmed eyes of death from the frogs in the Depths so I could finish all the covenants on my first playthrough (other than the sunlight spear one) and be able to pick whatever covenant I want to play in NG+ and beyond. Took about 25-30 minutes to get 4 starting through the Depths bonfire, down the shortcut and over to the pack of 9 frogs with no humanity and the gold covetous ring.

#1757 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I figured I'd just grab the 6 in the chests each playthrough and not have to farm. Which worked great. It was just Patches's general dickhead behavior that pissed me off.

I just need to beat 4 Kings and join the Darkwraiths to get my last covenant trophy. Then I'll probably just rejoin Sunbros, as it seems better for co-op.

#1758 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

Patch 1.05 is out in NA!

Of course it comes out right after I finish farming all the rare stuff I need for platinum. I figured it wouldn't be coming out for a long time so I might as well not wait.

Oh, well, I'm still happy if it means more co-op!

#1759 Assasin   Demi-God CAGiversary!   2183 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

Patch 1.05 is out in NA!

Of course it comes out right after I finish farming all the rare stuff I need for platinum. I figured it wouldn't be coming out for a long time so I might as well not wait.

I'm reading that this patch includes being able to buy Twinkling Titanite from the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo, is this true?

#1760 jacknicklson  

jacknicklson

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

8000 souls each, infinite amount

He sells almost everything useful now

#1761 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4794 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

And now we get to try some new armor combinations, since Antiquated Skirt and Gold-Hemmed set got nerfed. I had upgraded my Antiquated skirt to +5. But I'm not too disappointed because, to be honest, it just looked totally dumb, but I couldn't not wear it when its stats were just sooooo good. So now I'm free to pick something cool looking.

#1762 Tronny   Twerking CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Pretty bummed about the gold-hemmed set. I thought I looked goooood...

#1763 crystalklear64   Ded CAGiversary!   13617 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

crystalklear64

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

New character time! I vow to beat the game on this one!

#1764 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11173 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Will have to finish using the snuggly glitch to stock up on dragon scales / demon titanite before downloading the patch.

Xanthos leg, crimson set leg, witch leg, or perhaps one of the normal +10 legs would be a decent alternative. It would figure that the day after I find something that matches decently with the skirt and pump it to +5 with twinkling titanite that they finally decide to release the patch. Will have to pick a new shield now and pick a new helmet now as I have been using gold-hemmed hood. Will probably switch back to black leather +6 depending on how much equip burden I gained due to the patch. This will sure throw the wiki into chaos as most every weapon now has the wrong information.

#1765 Azazael13   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   604 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Yay I can buy a master key now!

#1766 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11173 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Ok, Figured it out, next best thing to Antiquated skirt in that weight range is the blood-soaked skirt (dingy set) when pumped to +10 (but probably will stop at +6 or +9) it is 2.5 weight and 46 46 57.5 46 / 65.3 38.7 50.8 / 40.6 30.8 40.6. Next best item that you can pump with twinkling is the crimson leg.

#1767 IRHari   COME ON! CAGiversary!   3816 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

I'm going to suggest the dark set armor that you get from the Darkwraith Covenant. It can be upgraded with twinkling, I think, and it's pretty powerful for a light-mid weight set.

#1768 io   ... Super Moderators   24873 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

I just got invaded for the first time while exploring the Painted world. I usually never unhollow, but after getting raped by those crow demons a couple times on the stairs I thought I'd try summoning some help(which never came). While exploring the clifftop beyond the phalanx column a black phantom entered my world. I thought he was wielding some huge hammer, but once he got closer I realized it was some bizarre hat. He began assaulting me with powerful pyromancy that left lava flows all over the snow, but I sidestepped them (boy, they have terrible tracking) and ran him through a couple times with the lightning spear. He managed to catch me once with some fire column spell, but after using a flask behind a stonewall I rolled behind him and backstabbed him as he charged another lava fireball.
He dropped a notched whip and like 30,000 souls.
It was pretty fun, though I think I'll dehollow soon so I won't get invaded while trying to make progress...

Yeah, as the others said, that's an NPC. Once you beat the boss make sure to pick up his armor on the corpse just before leaving the Painted World. I've been using the gauntlets from that set ever since - it is actually better than the gold-hemmed one. And the "hat" (was it a big mummy-looking thing?) is great for the Great Hollow because it provides awesome curse resistance.

Patch 1.05 is out in NA!

How does it help with co-op? I might hold off on the patch for just a day or so. I haven't played in a few days and need to finish off farming for souvenir of reprisals. I was going to wait till I got Rhea since I already have one Pendant and would get a second from her - then I could use the Sparkly trick to get 2 from that but I won't want to wait that long for the patch. So I'll just farm till I have 9, then do my one trade for that.

And now we get to try some new armor combinations, since Antiquated Skirt and Gold-Hemmed set got nerfed. I had upgraded my Antiquated skirt to +5. But I'm not too disappointed because, to be honest, it just looked totally dumb, but I couldn't not wear it when its stats were just sooooo good. So now I'm free to pick something cool looking.

Since I've been pumping up Endurance quite a bit, I've been able to run with the following: Havel's Helm, Gold-Hemmed shirt, Xanthous Gloves + 4, Antiquated Skirt + 4. All while maintaining < 25% equip burden with Havel's ring on of course. I see people talking about taking armor to +10? I didn't think that was possible!? I thought +5 was the max and since +4 -> +5 was kind of expensive (like 4 twinkling) I held off on that as well. Does someone have the stats for how much they nerfed these things, though? I don't really see why they felt the need to do that - the game is fucking hard enough as it is.

I'm going to suggest the dark set armor that you get from the Darkwraith Covenant. It can be upgraded with twinkling, I think, and it's pretty powerful for a light-mid weight set.

I got this, but it seemed like crap compared to my set above. Maybe it will be better with the nerfing. But it is also much heavier. Maybe I can use part of it now and keep upgrading Endurance for the rest.

#1769 jh6269   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1630 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

So is everything borked? Has it been confirmed that Snuggly won't give you perpetual stuff?
I can't figure out why the hell they messed with the Gold Hemmed set. You can't upgrade the thing, so why the hell would they reduce its effectiveness? It's not even the best armor for every occasion...

#1770 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

Right now, I'm rocking the Fang Boar Helm, no body armor, Havel's Gauntlets, and Havel's Leggings. I look pretty bad ass.