Gamestop: "Tax Season Savings" A (very) few sales, link in OP

I love how Starcraft II is listed as "Save $10". It's listed as $49.99, ts MSRP is $49.99...Are they kidding? Most of the time, I really fucking hate Gamestop...Mostly because such a large company shouldn't resort to such childish tactics.

[quote name='thehoweller']I love how Starcraft II is listed as "Save $10". It's listed as $49.99, ts MSRP is $49.99...Are they kidding? Most of the time, I really fucking hate Gamestop...Mostly because such a large company shouldn't resort to such childish tactics.[/QUOTE]

i agree. but unfortunately, to non-CAGs, it fuck-ing works.. have you guys SEEN some of the people that shop at gamestop?? i frequent the store, but i know what im doing..

Those people are ignorant, and the employees know it. if you aren't one of the few knowledgeable ones about promos, policies, ect.. they will flat out cut your throat in a minute. (as they are taught) and then play stupid about it...

Hope that Amazon gets wind of this and drops Red Dead Redemption to $29.99. I have a $10 credit and I just sent some trade-ins worth $28. Free shipping too. C'mon, Amazon.

[quote name='thehoweller']I love how Starcraft II is listed as "Save $10". It's listed as $49.99, ts MSRP is $49.99....[/QUOTE]

msrp is $59.99

[quote name='thehoweller']I love how Starcraft II is listed as "Save $10". It's listed as $49.99, ts MSRP is $49.99...Are they kidding? Most of the time, I really fucking hate Gamestop...Mostly because such a large company shouldn't resort to such childish tactics.[/QUOTE]
SC2's MSRP was 59.99, amazon has it listed as that still but discounted to 49.99. Got the game back from Kmart for $40 bucks, which was a sweet deal so short after release.

Agreed, aside from Red Dead, no real deals in this sale. Good job FailStop.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only other deal that's noteworthy is EA Sports Active 2.0 for $39.99. I think Amazon had one of the versions for that price but not for that long.

Wow, fail. Too bad the dualshock 3 isn't retroactive, bought LBP2 on day one and I want to grab a DS3 now actually, but I guess I won't be getting it from GameStop. Such a fucking terrible sale.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']i agree. but unfortunately, to non-CAGs, it fuck-ing works.. have you guys SEEN some of the people that shop at gamestop?? i frequent the store, but i know what im doing..

Those people are ignorant, and the employees know it. if you aren't one of the few knowledgeable ones about promos, policies, ect.. they will flat out cut your throat in a minute. (as they are taught) and then play stupid about it...[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is no different than GameStop and I never see anybody bitch about them. Best Buy employees will try to sell you a Monster cable for $60 and they will try to convince you on how this cable will make your HD TV look 1,000 times better.

Wal-Mart never has deals (unless it is Black Friday). Target has some decent deals but their selection is usually very weak.

GameStop has a huge selection of rare games, out of print, cheap games (Gears of War $5, Daxter $3, PS2 console $40). Tell me what other retailer will sell you awesome games under $10? Wal-Mart? No, Target, no, Best Buy, no.

People like to bitch about GameStop but don't realize the other things they offer which make them a decent alternative.

[quote name='oasisboy']Best Buy is no different than GameStop and I never see anybody bitch about them. Best Buy employees will try to sell you a Monster cable for $60 and they will try to convince you on how this cable will make your HD TV look 1,000 times better.

Wal-Mart never has deals (unless it is Black Friday). Target has some decent deals but their selection is usually very weak.

GameStop has a huge selection of rare games, out of print, cheap games (Gears of War $5, Daxter $3, PS2 console $40). Tell me what other retailer will sell you awesome games under $10? Wal-Mart? No, Target, no, Best Buy, no.

People like to bitch about GameStop but don't realize the other things they offer which make them a decent alternative.[/QUOTE]
maybe they have problems with Gamestop since Gamestop BOUGHT all the alternatives.

deal seems pretty meh. even if they did a B2G1, do they have anything left in stock to sell?

[quote name='Peffse']maybe they have problems with Gamestop since Gamestop BOUGHT all the alternatives.

deal seems pretty meh. even if they did a B2G1, do they have anything left in stock to sell?[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me all the alternatives in the US that Gamestop "BOUGHT"? I really don't think you have a clue.

[quote name='oasisboy']Best Buy is no different than GameStop and I never see anybody bitch about them. Best Buy employees will try to sell you a Monster cable for $60 and they will try to convince you on how this cable will make your HD TV look 1,000 times better.

People like to bitch about GameStop but don't realize the other things they offer which make them a decent alternative.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop is fine as far as retail stores go. They are essentially in the middle of retail stores and online stores. In terms of retail stores they are actually fine and good, but in terms of online stores they usually get blown out of the water. However there are times Gamestop does compete with other online stores.

I think I find most people that bitch about Gamestop are doing so because they know about how many better deals there are online.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can you tell me all the alternatives in the US that Gamestop "BOUGHT"? I really don't think you have a clue.[/QUOTE]

They bought EB Games, which was unfortunate. I used to buy used PC games from EB Games all the time. Their used prices for console game prices were lower than gamestop, too.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can you tell me all the alternatives in the US that Gamestop "BOUGHT"? I really don't think you have a clue.[/QUOTE]

Funcoland
babbage's
EB Games
Rhino Games

[quote name='MSUHitman']Funcoland
babbage's
[/QUOTE]

Completely wrong. Please do some research

I'll give you a hint: Babbage's is the chain that created Gamestop, so how could the latter buy the former out? Most of the mergers were done by a parent company. Gamestop had fuck all to do with it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Completely wrong. Please do some research
[/QUOTE]

Well not completely. I mean sure they were under the same umbrella but they were different stores, just because they had the same parent company doesn't mean that they were the same store. Its like saying fuck it Bloom, Food Lion and Bottom Dollar are the same. They sell the same stuff and run by the same Parent Company so they are the same.

Well my Gamestop told me that they were not giving $50 gift cards with the PS3.

Stupid me, thought that the employee is probably right.

Nope, called another location, they said they are, but it ends today.

And I have no car, live in the sticks with a bunch of agoraphobics , and cant take another bus to the mall today. Nice.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Completely wrong. Please do some research

I'll give you a hint: Babbage's is the chain that created Gamestop, so how could the latter buy the former out? Most of the mergers were done by a parent company. Gamestop had fuck all to do with it.[/QUOTE]

Mergers, same difference. They did buy out Software, Etc. first, then Funcoland, which is how they acquired Game Informer. Then they bought EB Games, and Rhino Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamestop

And welcome to my ignore list.

[quote name='Lparsons7641']Well my Gamestop told me that they were not giving $50 gift cards with the PS3.

Stupid me, thought that the employee is probably right.

Nope, called another location, they said they are, but it ends today.

And I have no car, live in the sticks with a bunch of agoraphobics , and cant take another bus to the mall today. Nice.[/QUOTE]

Go to tellgamestop.com with the info on the bottom of the receipt and complain and rate the store poorly. That will go straight to the DM and you should be able to get your gift card.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Go to tellgamestop.com with the info on the bottom of the receipt and complain and rate the store poorly. That will go straight to the DM and you should be able to get your gift card.[/QUOTE]

Well that's the issue, I didn't buy anything, had a brain fart and (stupidly I know) believed the employee. Last time I give them the benefit of the doubt about their sales. Also last time I go to that location. If I could tell the DM I would, but I don't really think I have a case.

He was overly busy talking about WOW with some smelly guy in there buying a stack of PSP games though, so he was probably a more important sale then a $300 console and about 3 games.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Mergers, same difference. They did buy out Software, Etc. first, then Funcoland, which is how they acquired Game Informer. Then they bought EB Games, and Rhino Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamestop

And welcome to my ignore list.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit? I got put on your ignore list for what? Saying you were wrong? WOW. Does anyone see this? It's like accepting being wrong but not having the balls to actually admit it.

Whether you see this or not, I'll break it down for everyone.

1.) B. Dalton, a bookstore, created Software Etc in 1987

2.) Software Etc. Merged with competitor Babbages in 1994 = Gamestop nonexistent, so how did they buy Software etc.. out?

3.) The newly formed merger was called Babbages etc.

4.) Babbages etc.. was now owned by a company called Neostar.

5.) Due to financial woes, the merger, under NeoStar's control filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1996

6.) Babbage's etc.. changed their name to Gamestop in 1999 to attract buyers= Gamestop Did not Buy out the company that created them, they were that company.

7.) Gamestop was bought by Barnes and Noble in 1999 = Gamestop did not buy out Babbage's, BN did.

8.) Barnes and Noble bought Funcoland in 2000 = Gamestop itself did not buy Funcoland, B&N did. Where's the BN hate over this? Why is it directed at GS? GS != BN last I heard.

9.) Funco under B&N's control merged with what was left Babbage's and later changed all remaining store names to Gamestop

10.) Gamestop became its own company, independent of Barnes and Noble in 2004

11.) Gamestop merged with EB Games in 2005

12.) Gamestop bought out Rhino Games from Blockbuster in 2007

The only two retailers that Gamestop themselves acquired or merged with was EB Games, and Rhino Games. That is it. The EB games merger was in the best interest of both companies, as I imagine was the case for Rhino Games. People want to accuse GS of being this big evil empire buying out all competitors, but that's completely false.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']It's like accepting being wrong but not having the balls to actually admit it. [/QUOTE]
Pot, meet kettle.

The lists people are generating aren't even mentioning little mom and pop shops that are being killed and converted.
I had a great place called It's About Games. One day it turned into a Gamestop and had all it's prices jacked up to 5x the norm.

...well, I just realized we're derailing the thread. I can't even mention anything about the deal to validate this post. I bid this thread farewell before I cause more trouble.

walmart had uncharted 2 goty edition for $25 last week. just because you dont know about it doesnt mean it doesnt happen...u must be too busy stocking games at gamestop...

[quote name='technicalstylez']walmart had uncharted 2 goty edition for $25 last week. just because you dont know about it doesnt mean it doesnt happen...u must be too busy stocking games at gamestop...[/QUOTE]

I think you're reading too literally into his "no deals except for BF" quote, of course they have deals, but let's be honest, they're not very often... certainly not equal to gamestop, and yet no one ever throws a fit over walmart or best buy. You don't get nearly the level of complaints here about these places as you do about gamestop, which after having a super walmart built in my area, completely fucking baffles me.

Amazon gets so much credit when I'd say at least 50% of their VG deals are stolen directly from Gamestop, Best Buy, Newegg and Walmart, especially these last few years.

People here like Amazon because they bend over easiest to the people here with the most ridiculous demands.

[quote name='Stele']People here like Amazon because they bend over easiest to the people here with the most ridiculous demands.[/QUOTE]

And you don't have to deal with Dbag employees. If your Gamestop(s) aren't cursed by them consider yourself lucky.

[quote name='Stele']People here like Amazon because they bend over easiest to the people here with the most ridiculous demands.[/QUOTE]

People seem to have lots of love for amazon.com because of their low prices. The reality is that they are actually not making as many profits as expected because they have lower profit margins (I wonder why?!). They actually had more sales but profits were less.

Their stock took a big 7% drop last week as they did not meet expectations.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41295381

So to make it short and sweet. Amazon is lowering prices too much, therefore they are making less profits. They can't keep this up (low prices) or they will be screwed (at least in the mind of Wall Street).

[quote name='Lparsons7641']And you don't have to deal with Dbag employees. If your Gamestop(s) aren't cursed by them consider yourself lucky.[/QUOTE]

How many GameStop stores have you visited? 5?, 10? 20?. They have over 6,000 stores around the world. So you cannot make that claim unless you have visited over half of their stores.

[quote name='Brownjohn']They bought EB Games, which was unfortunate. I used to buy used PC games from EB Games all the time. Their used prices for console game prices were lower than gamestop, too.[/QUOTE]

The companies merged. Go to ebay to find lower priced consoles. Problem solved.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']I think you're reading too literally into his "no deals except for BF" quote, of course they have deals, but let's be honest, they're not very often... certainly not equal to gamestop, and yet no one ever throws a fit over walmart or best buy. You don't get nearly the level of complaints here about these places as you do about gamestop, which after having a super walmart built in my area, completely fucking baffles me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed^^^

Good luck trying to buy a PS2 console for $40 at Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Also, go to gamestop.com and see how many decent "under $10 games" you can find. Now go to bestbuy.com or wal-mart.com and try to do the same.

Another thing that most people don't think about is how many BROKEN games and consoles are taken at the stores for credit. No other store will do that for you. Yes, they may give you $20 for a broken 360, but that's better than throwing in the trash.

[quote name='oasisboy']People seem to have lots of love for amazon.com because of their low prices. The reality is that they are actually not making as many profits as expected because they have lower profit margins (I wonder why?!). They actually had more sales but profits were less.

Their stock took a big 7% drop last week as they did not meet expectations.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41295381

So to make it short and sweet. Amazon is lowering prices too much, therefore they are making less profits. They can't keep this up (low prices) or they will be screwed (at least in the mind of Wall Street).[/QUOTE]

I really fear that one day Amazon's generosity (at least by their CSR staff) will come back to bite them in the ass. It's a poor model, even if the people here seem to love it. I've encountered literally thousands of people on here and at SD who have fought relentlessly to get some money out of Amazon, even for the smallest of things. If they fail one time, they just keep at it.

People never think about the bigger picture of this exploitation until it's too late. I don't think Amazon is going anywhere soon, and I'm sure they'll find other ways to make $$$, but I still don't think it's the best business model.

[quote name='oasisboy']How many GameStop stores have you visited? 5?, 10? 20?. They have over 6,000 stores around the world. So you cannot make that claim unless you have visited over half of their stores.[/QUOTE]

Missed my point. I PERSONALLY do not like going to GS AROUND MY AREA because all of them have terrible employees.

That is why I personally prefer Amazon. That was all I was saying

Not paying tax helps too.

bread's done
Back