Must-own PS2 games?

Jesus_S_Preston

CAGiversary!
Basically: Last gen, my only console was the Gamecube. This gen I have a 360 and a PS3, so I've been able to play some Xbox games, but I've never owned a PS2 (and my PS3 isn't backwards-compatible). Now that they're super cheap used at GS, I'm seeing myself getting one sometime soon.

So, my question: what are the must-have games of the PS2? I'm looking for exclusives only, basically any genre but puzzle games.

List of Games I Already Plan to Get Eventually/Have My Eye On:

Okami
Onimusha series
Klonoa 2
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Devil May Cry series
Kingdom Hearts I & II
Persona 4
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3

Games I Don't Want/Need to Get:

Sly Cooper series (want the PS3 collection)
God of War series (already have the PS3 collection)
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus (waiting for the collection)
Twisted Metal Black (own it)
Ratchet & Clank series (my brother owns all 4 PS2 games)
GTA series (had enough of it for a while)
Metal Gear Solid series (played MGS4 and Twin Snakes, don't care for the gameplay)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I know I have a lot to catch up on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you covered most of the "must have" titles. Thinking about my collection, unless you're a racing fan (and a huge one), there's really nothing there that's must have.

Maybe toss in Gran Turismo 3 or 4 if you can find it cheap.

I will warn you on FF X-2. It is very silly, the characters don't aren't like themselves if you play FF X before it, and the story is ridiculous. However it is good as a fun RPG full of silliness.

I haven't played all of them yet, but glancing over my collection just now, these caught my eye:

Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Hot Shots Golf 3
Hot Shots Golf 4
Grandia Xtreme
Grandia III
The Mark of Kri
Rise of the Kasai
The Getaway
Odin Sphere
Rogue Galaxy
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5
Wild Arms Alter Code F

(Yet another reminder of my disgustingly large backlog...)

Zone of the Enders 2 is probably the best PS2 game, if you can find it.
God Hand is pretty hilarious, and awesome.
Drakengard has an amazing story, if you can get past the somewhat crappy Dynasty Warriors gameplay.
Gungrave is a great shooter, but it's very short. Gungrave: Overdose is a bit longer, so that might be a better recommendation.
The Disgaea games are fun.
Rygar: The Legendary Adventure is really underrated. Really good action game in the style of God of War, but not so much blood. And sex.
The Mark of Kri may look like a Disney game, but it's quite violent. Also quite good. I didn't like Rise of the Kasai as much though.
Headhunter has a great atmosphere, but in a decent game.

Some RPG's I would recommend would be Dragon Quest III, Dark Cloud 2 (maybe 1 as well) and Suikoden III. Of course, I don't know how difficult they will be to find though. Might as well check out the Jak and Dexter series if you get a chance.

There is a thread talking about this, since the game apparently is on sale on Amazon, but Resident Evil 4 is a must for me! (unless you already have it) Probably one of the most re-played titles in my PS2 library.

[quote name='kburns10']There is a thread talking about this, since the game apparently is on sale on Amazon, but Resident Evil 4 is a must for me! (unless you already have it) Probably one of the most re-played titles in my PS2 library.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have a GCN or a Wii, in which case get those versions as they are superior. (Wii version is the best.)

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Unless you have a GCN or a Wii, in which case get those versions as they are superior. (Wii version is the best.)[/QUOTE]

Always wanted to check out the Wii version. I think it was first released with a gun shell for the Wiimote, but I've heard people say it's like playing a brand new game with the new motion controls.

some games of note are

-devil summoner 1/2
-jack and dexter series
-kingdom hearts 1/2 are a most have for any rpg lover(despite what some think of the disney portion)
-midnight club 3 dub edition
-destroy all humans 1/2 are freakin hilarious tho i dont recommend for children
-star wars bounty hunter was fun.
-if your a harry potter fan harry potter and the poa was the best in the series in my opinion
-burnout 3
-persona 3 fes
-persona 4 which u have listed
-prince of persia 1
-baulders gate
-and tony hawk underground one and 2

hope that helps

Shadow of Rome
Psi-Ops
Red Star
Black
Max Payne 1&2
Red Fraction
Indigo Prophecy
Kill Switch
XIII
Maximo & Maximo vs Army of Zin
PsychoNauts
Beyond Good and Evil
Katamari Damacy
Megaman X Collection
Metal Arms
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
Ape Escape Series
Transformers (not the movie one)
Tokobot
Marc Eckos Getting Up
Yakuza 1 & 2
Metal Slug series
The Warriors
Spartan Total Warrior
Fatal Frame Series
Odin Sphere

And thats all I can think of LOL Hope it helps!

bread's done
Back