- - - - -

Ar Tonelico Qoga (PS3) NIS preorder CLE $69.99

#31 Dezner   Kanetsugu! <3 CAGiversary!   453 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

ZOMG Calendar!!!1 :D Pre-ordered and awaiting AT3 along with Neptune!

#32 mxpowar   Menace II Sobriety CAGiversary!   1360 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

What the?!? I love the first two (despite some serious glitch issues...) and the battle system was a big part of that.

Glad I saw this, I'll keep an eye on it, but glad found this out now. Thank you sir.

I actually didn't really like the battle system of the previous AT but at least they were turn-based. I feel like whenever I play an RPG with a real-time combat system, it's really just a mediocre beat-em-up/button masher with RPG elements. And then I think, "what's the point?", and just play Scott Pilgrim instead.

#33 ck76   Winter is Coming CAGiversary!   756 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

I actually didn't really like the battle system of the previous AT but at least they were turn-based. I feel like whenever I play an RPG with a real-time combat system, it's really just a mediocre beat-em-up/button masher with RPG elements. And then I think, "what's the point?", and just play Scott Pilgrim instead.

Aye. I like my turned based (Grandia is my all time favorite battle system) JRPGs. Action based ones tend to fell just okay to me.

PS: Won't argue about Scott Pilgrim (beaten it a dozen times or so now...)

#34 groundskeeper   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1545 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

groundskeeper

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

I don't know anyone that ever bought it just because of the dive sessions at all. And it's far from the only reason to stick with the game.

Same here. I bought both AT at launch and played through each one. I love this style of game like the Atelier Iris and even Mana Khemia. I'm a bit wary of the new game play style but I love Tales games also so this will be a day one for me as well.

#35 Omnislash124   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   79 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Omnislash124

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:51 AM

Well, after playing through the first one (haven't gotten to the second one yet), I do like the battle system from the first one, and this one looks like anything but. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's still a game where so much shit happens randomly in battle that non-players/spectators remain confused while the player is the only one that knows what's going on.

Probably will pre-order, but $69.99 is a bit steep.

#36 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2825 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

I don't know anyone that ever bought it just because of the dive sessions at all. And it's far from the only reason to stick with the game.

Well, sure, I didn't buy AT b/c of the dive sessions (that would be silly -- though let's face it, NIS advertised the game on that premise; I recall the tagline being something like, "you never forget your first.")

There are other reasons to buy AT, but the other reasons are sort of "meh." The first game was super easy so there was little reason to experiment much. The storyline was okay (much, much better than AT2) but nothing to write home about. The battle engine was typical turn-based, random fighting -- and I must say I was quite growing tired of these (esp. after Persona 3 and 4, which I perhaps unfortunately played before picking up AT -- I was running out of JRPGs to play).

Again, I'll keep an eye on the reviews for AT3, but it's hard to get excited about this franchise. AT2 IMHO is probably one of the worst follow-ups I've seen in any franchise.

#37 Volcynika   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   136 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Volcynika

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

Well, sure, I didn't buy AT b/c of the dive sessions (that would be silly -- though let's face it, NIS advertised the game on that premise; I recall the tagline being something like, "you never forget your first.")

There are other reasons to buy AT, but the other reasons are sort of "meh." The first game was super easy so there was little reason to experiment much. The storyline was okay (much, much better than AT2) but nothing to write home about. The battle engine was typical turn-based, random fighting -- and I must say I was quite growing tired of these (esp. after Persona 3 and 4, which I perhaps unfortunately played before picking up AT -- I was running out of JRPGs to play).

Again, I'll keep an eye on the reviews for AT3, but it's hard to get excited about this franchise. AT2 IMHO is probably one of the worst follow-ups I've seen in any franchise.

Yeah, I vaguely remember the advertising. I think that was the unique hook they were trying to garner sales with, which might make sense from a marketing standpoint. Granted, their audience is pretty niche to begin with, and I've seen reactions from people that started asking about it because of that (if the game had substance behind the heavy innuendo) and people that were turned away from it. It gets people talking about the game, which can get some attention on it and perhaps get some more sales. I'm not a marketing person so I'm just guessing here.

I really enjoyed the battle systems in 1 and 2, because while it is mostly a simple turn based affair for the most part, the protecting the Reyvateil aspect while building a powerful attack was fun, if only to see how much damage you could deal. I understand the lack of overall challenge being a turn-off, but sometimes I just want a relaxing RPG to sit back and enjoy (that's just me personally). And while it's not everyone's cup of tea, I really enjoy the music it has (along with the Hymnos albums they put out after each game's release).

To be honest, while I did enjoy the second game, the localization really damaged my final feelings on it. It made no sense as to how they made tons of errors and even did not supply VA for critical moments in the game, yet had it in insignificant parts(as far as related to the main plot). They as well as everyone who bought it knows that, and I've heard a lot of effort is going into the localization of Qoga as to not make it a repeat of the complete screwup that was the localization of 2. Obviously, we'll have to see if that holds true in a couple months.

Though maybe they're trying to not associate it with the second game by calling it Qoga instead of Ar tonelico 3. :p

#38 Unaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   686 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

All you guys are worried about the wrong things.

Because AT 2 was so suggestive, they censored out a bunch of things on the english version. It was so censored that you couldnt beat the game unless you had a high alchemy skill or were strong enough to kill the final boss in 3 turns. I hope they dont get fucked up like they did with AT2

#39 Squall_L_FF8   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Squall_L_FF8

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:20 AM

I also really liked AT 1, but didn't like the battle system in AT 2 which made me quit soon after starting. I will get AT 3, but probably after the price has fallen a little.

#40 Mana Knight   Cloud Strife CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

I also really liked AT 1, but didn't like the battle system in AT 2 which made me quit soon after starting. I will get AT 3, but probably after the price has fallen a little.

Good luck with that. Trinity Universe barely dropped price much and is becoming harder to find now. NIS doesn't exactly ship lots of copies of games.

#41 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6453 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Good luck with that. Trinity Universe barely dropped price much and is becoming harder to find now. NIS doesn't exactly ship lots of copies of games.

I would say there is a good chance this will drop in price just like most NIS games. I suppose you also paid full price for the now readily available at a discount Atelier Rorona or Prinny? Trinity is still available at many Best Buy locations.

#42 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm on the fence about picking this up.
I really loved the first game - but still have the unopened 2nd game sitting and waiting.

One of the things I liked was the battle system - changing that puts a damper on things in one way, but then leaves me open to play the 3rd and go back to the 2nd (completely different battle systems) without feeling like I'm losing combat options because of upgrades to the system.

#43 jubeininja69   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   616 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

jubeininja69

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

i've been burned by paying full price for NIS games back on the psp and ps2 only seeing them drop by half in just over a year.

if you want the collector's edition stuff than it's best to buy it now because those are first prints.

i used to think games from atlus and NIS are rare, but that hasn't been the case since 2006 to now.

#44 Mana Knight   Cloud Strife CAGiversary!   14401 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Mana Knight

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

I would say there is a good chance this will drop in price just like most NIS games. I suppose you also paid full price for the now readily available at a discount Atelier Rorona or Prinny? Trinity is still available at many Best Buy locations.

I got the Atelier Rorona on NIS America's website with more stuff (Best Buy is just standalone).

#45 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6453 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

I got the Atelier Rorona on NIS America's website with more stuff (Best Buy is just standalone).

I was actually referring to Gamestop which is now selling Rorona in the deluxe boxed version for $40 which in my opinion is much nicer than the soundtrack and no outer box NIS included. In any event, charging $10 for a calendar is a rip off and this should not be listed as a "deal" in any sense of the word.

#46 HakaHina   Glasses God CAGiversary!   680 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:48 AM

In any event, charging $10 for a calendar is a rip off and this should not be listed as a "deal" in any sense of the word.

It's better than most calendar prices I see in bookstores or malls anyways, though I don't have much experience with them except for Chinese New Year calendars (these cost $25 from my local Vietnamese stores btw). Deals range from person to person I guess.

#47 ineedanadult  

ineedanadult

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:55 AM

man such a junk pre-order bonus...going to have to pass for once..

#48 Nitemare25   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   88 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Nitemare25

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thought I would bump this thread for the only deal I've seen on this game so far. Mentioned in another thread, there is a $10 off $60 PS3/360 games pre-order code on Newegg. Apparently, it will go away in 72 hours.

Code: EMCKHHF223

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16879273015

#49 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6453 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thought I would bump this thread for the only deal I've seen on this game so far. Mentioned in another thread, there is a $10 off $60 PS3/360 games pre-order code on Newegg. Apparently, it will go away in 72 hours.

Code: EMCKHHF223

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16879273015

I absolutely would not trust New Egg to ship this safely. It's an oversize box that can easily be dented and smashed. Given my experience with New Egg on other fragile games and the relative poor quality of their returns process, I would recommend paying the extra $8 - $10 and either ordering from Amazon (which itself doesn't have the best packaging track record, but has easy returns/replacements) or NIS which did a fantastic job of packaging Neptunia.

#50 m_m23   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

^This^

#51 2DMention   Cyberpunk CAGiversary!   3842 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

Getting this from Amazon with prime. $10 isn't worth it for a calendar.

#52 morrodox   Hedonistic Iconoclast CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

morrodox

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

I absolutely would not trust New Egg to ship this safely. It's an oversize box that can easily be dented and smashed. Given my experience with New Egg on other fragile games and the relative poor quality of their returns process, I would recommend paying the extra $8 - $10 and either ordering from Amazon (which itself doesn't have the best packaging track record, but has easy returns/replacements) or NIS which did a fantastic job of packaging Neptunia.

+1

I've had regular DVD-case games show up dented from NewEgg. NIS knows collectors and packages theirs very securely.

#53 Amblix   Chinglish CAGiversary!   2224 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

I forgot I had the calender pre-ordered, awesome.

#54 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23380 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

Oh god, I remember when they shipped me RE5 CE in a fucking bubble mailer. My god was I pissed...

But honestly, outside of Amazon, most major retailers have pretty horrible packing. The one thing thing I can say about NISA is that they pack things very well (though I'm not sure how their free shipping is).

#55 lurkingsalt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   161 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

lurkingsalt

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

Really excited for this, I think I'll place my order from Amazon -free shipping+no tax- can't be beat. Money is becoming short for me and there's still Yakuza 4 I want to purchase also.

#56 Supreme0ne   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   272 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Supreme0ne

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

randomly clicked on this link to find out about the game since i have the ps2 ones....no plans to buy this one, but thanks for the code nitemare25!

gonna preorder tiger 12 collector edition for the regular edition price!

#57 Nitemare25   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   88 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Nitemare25

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

randomly clicked on this link to find out about the game since i have the ps2 ones....no plans to buy this one, but thanks for the code nitemare25!

gonna preorder tiger 12 collector edition for the regular edition price!

Well, I'm glad it helped somebody. lol

#58 mitnosi   Kweh? CAGiversary!   1703 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

Gonna stick with Amazon on this one.(Are they getting the limited edition?) I too am afraid that Newegg is gonna do some bad packaging on it.

#59 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:57 AM

Purge Party Calendar supply is getting "very low," as per the newsletter. I'm sure it'll sell on eBay for more than $10... but I'm still undecided.

#60 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11426 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

I might actually order this.....wish Gamestop or somewhere else was selling it instore though. Not a fan of Online shopping, especially after recent stuff like Hyper-dimension getting semi-delayed and the Capcom Store fiasco