Ar Tonelico Qoga (PS3) NIS preorder CLE $69.99

StarOcean

CAGiversary!
I'll be buying the Calendar Set as soon as my Neptunia Premium Set ships from NISA.

I have $10 worth of Gift Certificates with them and after Neptunia, I will have $15 worth!

I can't believe they are charging $10 for a calendar. At first I thought it was a joke. Unbelieveable. How is this not a free bonus for people who order the premium edition directly from NIS?

[quote name='bojay1997']I can't believe they are charging $10 for a calendar. At first I thought it was a joke. Unbelieveable. How is this not a free bonus for people who order the premium edition directly from NIS?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after ZHP, Prinny 2 and Neptunia all had free extras I thought they were done with charging for the extras. I guess not.

I wish they had done the calender free like the HN playing cards.

NISA is a pretty small company delivering niche titles, I'll be glad to support them some more.

[quote name='TraBuch']Isn't the battle system supposed to be really changed up in this one? Like..Similar to Tales games?[/QUOTE]

If so, then I may actually enjoy it cause I couldn't get into the other Ar Tonelico games on PS2, however it's M-Rating and surefire young girl presence kinda worries me. Oh, Japan...

It is NIS though, so I'll probably give it a shot, but I also will skip the calender. C'mon NIS, you gave the playing cards for Neptunia for free!

Is there a version that just has the game? I mean, the rest of that junk is fine, I guess, but I kind of just want to be able to get the game without it taking up even more space on my shelf, which is at a premium these days.

[quote name='Vortextk']Do I need to even ask about the actual quality of the game?...[/QUOTE]

If you like NIS games then you will like it and think it's a quality game. If you don't like NIS games then odds are you wont like it and think it's not a quality game.

I'm personally not a fan of NIS games in general because of the story or lack thereof and the gameplay. With that being said I did preorder Hypderdimension Neptunia because it looked interesting.

Wow... that one female looked so loli it made me almost feel like a lolicon watching her sequence. I'm too burnt on the terrible job they did on AR2, so pass on everything.

[quote name='LordVila']If you like NIS games then you will like it and think it's a quality game. If you don't like NIS games then odds are you wont like it and think it's not a quality game.

I'm personally not a fan of NIS games in general because of the story or lack thereof and the gameplay. With that being said I did preorder Hypderdimension Neptunia because it looked interesting.[/QUOTE]

These are not actually NIS games, NIS is just publishing them. Gust is making Ar Tornelico and Idea Factory made HDN. There's a big difference because I absolutely hate IF and love Gust.

NIS does make the Disgaea series and the like though.

I hate you NIS America. I'm so tempted to cancel my preorder to buy this. This is going to suck a lot of money out of me. :(

EDIT: I ordered this.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fodder']Are we sure they are actually charging $10 more for the calendar?

I get the impression that the game / art book and soundtrack is going to be $69 no matter where you get it from, but form NIS you get the Calendar too.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not convinced that Amazon will be selling this for $59 without the calendar.

Edit: Just kidding! Looks like its already up:

http://www.amazon.com/Ar-Tonelico-Q...KABW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1296328557&sr=8-3

I wonder if this version is just the game or comes with the art book as well?[/QUOTE]

The version from NIS without the calendar is $10 cheaper.

Meh, the AT games only rose to popularity because of the subtle (not really) "dive sessions". The gameplay was okay (it's riffed a lot from Atelier Iris) but everything about the game screamed mediocrity. The only reason to stick to it, if it could even be called a reason, was to "dive" into the female characters -- and seriously, that charm wears off after the first "session".

AT had some novelty to it, at least -- being the first game to play out the concept. AT2 was just flat-out terrible. NIS clearly thought the same thing, given it didn't catch a game-ending bug at the last guy.

From my experience, NIS also seems to be incredibly bad at translating the writing. AT and AT2 are two of the worst translations I've ever seen -- so many bizarre sentences, along with spelling and grammatical errors, make it incredibly tough to read and listen to.

When I heard that Gust was going 3D, I was mildly interested (if only because I thought may be AT3 would learn from the prior errors and correct them).

But given there are SO many better games now and I have such little time to commit to playing, I just don't have time now for mediocre or slightly-above mediocre titles like AT anymore. I'll keep an eye on the review out of curiosity's sake, but I've had my fill of AT, and in all honesty, I'm sort of surprised this one is even making it out of Japan again.

Even Rumble Roses didn't make me feel so awkward. Now that it's rated M, I have the uneasy feeling this one is going to ride the edge of pedophilia.

I honestly didn't expect NIS to have this available for pre-order in their store until at least the middle of February.

That being said, I'm undecided at the moment about which package to get. Wouldn't mind having the calendar, but considering the amount of games coming out the next couple of months, I may need that extra 10 bucks to put toward something else...

Not sure about this, but I'm going to assume that the Premium Edition without the calendar will be available at other retailers as well.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Meh, the AT games only rose to popularity because of the subtle (not really) "dive sessions". The gameplay was okay (it's riffed a lot from Atelier Iris) but everything about the game screamed mediocrity. The only reason to stick to it, if it could even be called a reason, was to "dive" into the female characters -- and seriously, that charm wears off after the first "session".

AT had some novelty to it, at least -- being the first game to play out the concept. AT2 was just flat-out terrible. NIS clearly thought the same thing, given it didn't catch a game-ending bug at the last guy.

From my experience, NIS also seems to be incredibly bad at translating the writing. AT and AT2 are two of the worst translations I've ever seen -- so many bizarre sentences, along with spelling and grammatical errors, make it incredibly tough to read and listen to.

When I heard that Gust was going 3D, I was mildly interested (if only because I thought may be AT3 would learn from the prior errors and correct them).

But given there are SO many better games now and I have such little time to commit to playing, I just don't have time now for mediocre or slightly-above mediocre titles like AT anymore. I'll keep an eye on the review out of curiosity's sake, but I've had my fill of AT, and in all honesty, I'm sort of surprised this one is even making it out of Japan again.

Even Rumble Roses didn't make me feel so awkward. Now that it's rated M, I have the uneasy feeling this one is going to ride the edge of pedophilia.[/QUOTE]

I don't know anyone that ever bought it just because of the dive sessions at all. And it's far from the only reason to stick with the game.

[quote name='mxpowar']Yep, which is why I won't be buying it. Have a look for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vk9S7xuMys[/QUOTE]

What the?!? I love the first two (despite some serious glitch issues...) and the battle system was a big part of that.

Glad I saw this, I'll keep an eye on it, but glad found this out now. Thank you sir.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Ordered my LE+calendar last night! Now I'll have the LE of all 3 sealed![/QUOTE]

Lucky :(..I was forced to sell both my Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 PS2 sealed games due to financial hardships awhile back...those things sell for insanely high on ebay..but just wanted my copies to play.

[quote name='ck76']What the?!? I love the first two (despite some serious glitch issues...) and the battle system was a big part of that.

Glad I saw this, I'll keep an eye on it, but glad found this out now. Thank you sir.[/QUOTE]
I actually didn't really like the battle system of the previous AT but at least they were turn-based. I feel like whenever I play an RPG with a real-time combat system, it's really just a mediocre beat-em-up/button masher with RPG elements. And then I think, "what's the point?", and just play Scott Pilgrim instead.

[quote name='mxpowar']I actually didn't really like the battle system of the previous AT but at least they were turn-based. I feel like whenever I play an RPG with a real-time combat system, it's really just a mediocre beat-em-up/button masher with RPG elements. And then I think, "what's the point?", and just play Scott Pilgrim instead.[/QUOTE]

Aye. I like my turned based (Grandia is my all time favorite battle system) JRPGs. Action based ones tend to fell just okay to me.

PS: Won't argue about Scott Pilgrim (beaten it a dozen times or so now...)

[quote name='Volcynika']I don't know anyone that ever bought it just because of the dive sessions at all. And it's far from the only reason to stick with the game.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I bought both AT at launch and played through each one. I love this style of game like the Atelier Iris and even Mana Khemia. I'm a bit wary of the new game play style but I love Tales games also so this will be a day one for me as well.

Well, after playing through the first one (haven't gotten to the second one yet), I do like the battle system from the first one, and this one looks like anything but. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's still a game where so much shit happens randomly in battle that non-players/spectators remain confused while the player is the only one that knows what's going on.

Probably will pre-order, but $69.99 is a bit steep.

[quote name='Volcynika']I don't know anyone that ever bought it just because of the dive sessions at all. And it's far from the only reason to stick with the game.[/QUOTE]

Well, sure, I didn't buy AT b/c of the dive sessions (that would be silly -- though let's face it, NIS advertised the game on that premise; I recall the tagline being something like, "you never forget your first.")

There are other reasons to buy AT, but the other reasons are sort of "meh." The first game was super easy so there was little reason to experiment much. The storyline was okay (much, much better than AT2) but nothing to write home about. The battle engine was typical turn-based, random fighting -- and I must say I was quite growing tired of these (esp. after Persona 3 and 4, which I perhaps unfortunately played before picking up AT -- I was running out of JRPGs to play).

Again, I'll keep an eye on the reviews for AT3, but it's hard to get excited about this franchise. AT2 IMHO is probably one of the worst follow-ups I've seen in any franchise.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Well, sure, I didn't buy AT b/c of the dive sessions (that would be silly -- though let's face it, NIS advertised the game on that premise; I recall the tagline being something like, "you never forget your first.")

There are other reasons to buy AT, but the other reasons are sort of "meh." The first game was super easy so there was little reason to experiment much. The storyline was okay (much, much better than AT2) but nothing to write home about. The battle engine was typical turn-based, random fighting -- and I must say I was quite growing tired of these (esp. after Persona 3 and 4, which I perhaps unfortunately played before picking up AT -- I was running out of JRPGs to play).

Again, I'll keep an eye on the reviews for AT3, but it's hard to get excited about this franchise. AT2 IMHO is probably one of the worst follow-ups I've seen in any franchise.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I vaguely remember the advertising. I think that was the unique hook they were trying to garner sales with, which might make sense from a marketing standpoint. Granted, their audience is pretty niche to begin with, and I've seen reactions from people that started asking about it because of that (if the game had substance behind the heavy innuendo) and people that were turned away from it. It gets people talking about the game, which can get some attention on it and perhaps get some more sales. I'm not a marketing person so I'm just guessing here.

I really enjoyed the battle systems in 1 and 2, because while it is mostly a simple turn based affair for the most part, the protecting the Reyvateil aspect while building a powerful attack was fun, if only to see how much damage you could deal. I understand the lack of overall challenge being a turn-off, but sometimes I just want a relaxing RPG to sit back and enjoy (that's just me personally). And while it's not everyone's cup of tea, I really enjoy the music it has (along with the Hymnos albums they put out after each game's release).

To be honest, while I did enjoy the second game, the localization really damaged my final feelings on it. It made no sense as to how they made tons of errors and even did not supply VA for critical moments in the game, yet had it in insignificant parts(as far as related to the main plot). They as well as everyone who bought it knows that, and I've heard a lot of effort is going into the localization of Qoga as to not make it a repeat of the complete screwup that was the localization of 2. Obviously, we'll have to see if that holds true in a couple months.

Though maybe they're trying to not associate it with the second game by calling it Qoga instead of Ar tonelico 3. :p

All you guys are worried about the wrong things.

Because AT 2 was so suggestive, they censored out a bunch of things on the english version. It was so censored that you couldnt beat the game unless you had a high alchemy skill or were strong enough to kill the final boss in 3 turns. I hope they dont get fucked up like they did with AT2

I also really liked AT 1, but didn't like the battle system in AT 2 which made me quit soon after starting. I will get AT 3, but probably after the price has fallen a little.

[quote name='Squall_L_FF8']I also really liked AT 1, but didn't like the battle system in AT 2 which made me quit soon after starting. I will get AT 3, but probably after the price has fallen a little.[/QUOTE]Good luck with that. Trinity Universe barely dropped price much and is becoming harder to find now. NIS doesn't exactly ship lots of copies of games.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Good luck with that. Trinity Universe barely dropped price much and is becoming harder to find now. NIS doesn't exactly ship lots of copies of games.[/QUOTE]

I would say there is a good chance this will drop in price just like most NIS games. I suppose you also paid full price for the now readily available at a discount Atelier Rorona or Prinny? Trinity is still available at many Best Buy locations.

I'm on the fence about picking this up.
I really loved the first game - but still have the unopened 2nd game sitting and waiting.

One of the things I liked was the battle system - changing that puts a damper on things in one way, but then leaves me open to play the 3rd and go back to the 2nd (completely different battle systems) without feeling like I'm losing combat options because of upgrades to the system.

i've been burned by paying full price for NIS games back on the psp and ps2 only seeing them drop by half in just over a year.

if you want the collector's edition stuff than it's best to buy it now because those are first prints.

i used to think games from atlus and NIS are rare, but that hasn't been the case since 2006 to now.

[quote name='bojay1997']I would say there is a good chance this will drop in price just like most NIS games. I suppose you also paid full price for the now readily available at a discount Atelier Rorona or Prinny? Trinity is still available at many Best Buy locations.[/QUOTE]I got the Atelier Rorona on NIS America's website with more stuff (Best Buy is just standalone).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I got the Atelier Rorona on NIS America's website with more stuff (Best Buy is just standalone).[/QUOTE]

I was actually referring to Gamestop which is now selling Rorona in the deluxe boxed version for $40 which in my opinion is much nicer than the soundtrack and no outer box NIS included. In any event, charging $10 for a calendar is a rip off and this should not be listed as a "deal" in any sense of the word.

[quote name='bojay1997']In any event, charging $10 for a calendar is a rip off and this should not be listed as a "deal" in any sense of the word.[/QUOTE]

It's better than most calendar prices I see in bookstores or malls anyways, though I don't have much experience with them except for Chinese New Year calendars (these cost $25 from my local Vietnamese stores btw). Deals range from person to person I guess.

[quote name='Nitemare25']Thought I would bump this thread for the only deal I've seen on this game so far. Mentioned in another thread, there is a $10 off $60 PS3/360 games pre-order code on Newegg. Apparently, it will go away in 72 hours.

Code: EMCKHHF223

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879273015[/QUOTE]

I absolutely would not trust New Egg to ship this safely. It's an oversize box that can easily be dented and smashed. Given my experience with New Egg on other fragile games and the relative poor quality of their returns process, I would recommend paying the extra $8 - $10 and either ordering from Amazon (which itself doesn't have the best packaging track record, but has easy returns/replacements) or NIS which did a fantastic job of packaging Neptunia.

bread's done
Back