Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey $14.99 New, $12.99 Used

Not in stock online at the moment, but I'm sure I can find one locally. Thanks for the heads-up.

Do new copies still have the soundtrack cd you think?

What an amazing game. Probably the best game I played last year. Worth every penny, even at full price.

Really awesome game. Although I can easily see how some would not enjoy it (1st person dungeon crawler). I'd guess that this winds up being harder to find as it gets older like other SMT games.

It's like Pokemon, but with demons!!!

Yes, I know that the MegaTen series predates Pokemon. I'm just trolling.
Worth $15 that's for sure.

[quote name='ihadFG']I haven't set foot in a Gamestop in a LONG time, but I may go there for this.[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor and wait for Amazon to price match.

[quote name='thegreek']Do yourself a favor and wait for Amazon to price match.[/QUOTE]
amazon hasnt PM anything out of stock

Ugh. This is like the fourth Atlus game I've bought that's price-dropped before I even opened the damn box. It used to be you had to get these things as soon as they came out or they'd go out-of-print. And I swear it'll be the one game I dont buy immediately that vanishes instead of price-dropping...

[quote name='62t']amazon hasnt PM anything out of stock[/QUOTE]

Well, it's very rare, but they did PM Newegg's DKC Returns for $35.

There are some used copies close to me according to the store tracker, but the GSes around me have taken to throwing away the outer boxes and OSTs to all "Atlus spoils" DS games they receive so who knows if I'll actually find a complete one :| I'd still bite at $15 for a "new" copy so I'll just pay the extra $2 if it comes to it, no biggie.

[quote name='tossin']Well, it's very rare, but they did PM Newegg's DKC Returns for $35.[/QUOTE]

they PM newegg before it was out of stock

I saw this new at gamestop near where I work. I was going to buy it because it is Shin Megami Tensei but the box art just killed any desire to do so. Is just hideous.

On another note, I'm very interested in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. There is a 3DS remake of it coming soon in japan and possibly NA so I think I will just wait longer.

[quote name='xRemnant']I saw this new at gamestop near where I work. I was going to buy it because it is Shin Megami Tensei but the box art just killed any desire to do so. Is just hideous.

On another note, I'm very interested in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. There is a 3DS remake of it coming soon in japan and possibly NA so I think I will just wait longer.[/QUOTE]

Devil Survivor Overclocked is confirmed for NA and it supposed to be a "launch window" title, meaning out before E3. Whether that'll actually happen is another matter, but I'll gladly double dip on it either way.

[quote name='fwbweux']Devil Survivor Overclocked is confirmed for NA and it supposed to be a "launch window" title, meaning out before E3. Whether that'll actually happen is another matter, but I'll gladly double dip on it either way.[/QUOTE]

That's great news then! Although I won't buy a 3DS until Professor Layton is released in NA so it's going to be a nice while.

I wonder if I should buy this deal one, I just hate the art work and whole space vibe. Only space game/movie I ever liked is Dead Space and Starship Trooper. (Sorry Star War fans, I don't like it.)

[quote name='miriamleo']Is every new copy of Strange Journey come with a soundtrack and cardboard box?[/QUOTE]
I can't flat out say every copy comes with the soundtrack. I can tell you that all the new copies I personally saw in Gamestop had the Soundtrack. The used copies did not. Does not hurt to call and ask before you go to your local store to make sure its #1 Available and #2 Complete.

[quote name='xRemnant']That's great news then! Although I won't buy a 3DS until Professor Layton is released in NA so it's going to be a nice while.

I wonder if I should buy this deal one, I just hate the art work and whole space vibe. Only space game/movie I ever liked is Dead Space and Starship Trooper. (Sorry Star War fans, I don't like it.)[/QUOTE]

Probably for the better, by the time the 3DS Layton game is out there'll probably already be a deal on Devil Survivor Overclocked :lol:

Saying something about Kazuma Kaneko's art would be fighting words to a lot of SMT fans, but I don't mind ;) The suits are pretty goofy, though they have sort of an art deco look that resonates with me personally. About the setting, if it makes any difference to you, it doesn't take place in space but in another dimension...in Antarctica...or something. Might as well be space, heh.

[quote name='fwbweux']Probably for the better, by the time the 3DS Layton game is out there'll probably already be a deal on Devil Survivor Overclocked :lol:

Saying something about Kazuma Kaneko's art would be fighting words to a lot of SMT fans, but I don't mind ;) The suits are pretty goofy, though they have sort of an art deco look that resonates with me personally. About the setting, if it makes any difference to you, it doesn't take place in space but in another dimension...in Antarctica...or something. Might as well be space, heh.[/QUOTE]

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Kazuma Kaneko! Although funny enough the only Shin Megami Tensei games I've played are the ones he did not work on. Person 3 FES, P3P, and Persona 4. I do own Persona 1 for the PSP and Devil Summoner 2 for PS2 and have yet to play them. Actually I only bough Devil Summoner 2 for the plush of Jack Frost Raidou Kuzunoha.

I absolutely love the cover for Devil Survivor.
612i5gCohnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But this is strange! (pun intended)
51EaW8dl0kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyway I'm sure the game is great and the price is obviously good so I will buy it next time I see it at gamestop. It can join my collection of Mr. Kazuma Kaneko games I have yet to play.

I actually like the Strange Journey cover a lot. It has that 70s Sci Fi vibe and quirky cult style.
I don't know if it has anything to do with the game though as I haven't played it.

[quote name='xRemnant']I mean no disrespect to Mr. Kazuma Kaneko! Although funny enough the only Shin Megami Tensei games I've played are the ones he did not work on. Person 3 FES, P3P, and Persona 4. I do own Persona 1 for the PSP and Devil Summoner 2 for PS2 and have yet to play them. Actually I only bough Devil Summoner 2 for the plush of Jack Frost Raidou Kuzunoha.

I absolutely love the cover for Devil Survivor.

But this is strange! (pun intended)

Anyway I'm sure the game is great and the price is obviously good so I will buy it next time I see it at gamestop. It can join my collection of Mr. Kazuma Kaneko games I have yet to play.[/QUOTE]

They seem to have specific artists for specific series now. Kaneko does Devil Summoner and more "mainline" SMT games like Strange Journey, Shigenori Soejima does Persona and some other Atlus works like Trauma Center and Catherine.

The artist for Devil Survivor hasn't worked on any other SMT games, so that game's art style is pretty different from all the others. Can't think of any other games with his character design, but he did do the art for a pretty fantastic anime called Durarara if you like that kind of thing.

Okay, I've derailed this enough, $15 is a great price regardless of what character design team you're on :lol:

Strange Journey may be my favorite DS game yet. Interesting story, fun combat, great music, challenging gameplay.

And the cover is perfect. That is what your character looks like when wearing his Demonica suit.

Note on the soundtrack. The first printing of Strange Journey had a soundtrack CD that didn't work on CD players. The files were in the wrong format. They later fixed it. They shipped all of us replacements that asked for them. I guess there still could be some bad discs out there now, too.

SMT: Strange Journey was the best game of 2010, in what was a great year for handheld rpgs: SMT:SJ, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona3 Portable, Etrian Odyssey 3, just to name a few. : )

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Nice price for a SMT game. I really should not buy this due to backlog, but It's $15 for an SMT game. If I can find one, I'm in.[/QUOTE]

You should have a fairly easy time finding this in stores, surprisingly.

anyone know what the policy on price drops? just got this on friday n found out it dropped right after >_> could i get store credit for my 5 buck difference??

Is it New or Used?

If it's New, and unopened, you can return it then repurchase it, if it's opened, then you can try and get the manager to give you that $5, but that'll be YMMV.

If it's used, you have 7 days to return it, so you can just return it that way and rebuy.

But Gamestop does not have a price drop policy unfortunately. Only on pre-orders.

The Gamestop near me had a new copy still but ironically the new copy was missing the outer box while the used copy on the shelf still had the box and CD. The guy at the store let me take the box and CD for the used copy but unfortunately the outer box isn't in the best of shape. Whoever had the copy previously tore the back of it while opening it. Oh well at least I still got the CD.

[quote name='Squarehard']I thought he meant that for when it says out of stock on Gamestop.com or other websites, not stock on Amazon's own website.[/QUOTE]

You are right. I completely mis read that badly.

[quote name='xRemnant']On another note, I'm very interested in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. There is a 3DS remake of it coming soon in japan and possibly NA so I think I will just wait longer.[/QUOTE]
Really? At this point, I've pretty much resigned myself to wait for remakes on the 3DS. I love my DS, but it's like how I loved playing the GBA before that. Times are a changin'.

Got the last sealed copy today...thanks for the heads-up, Squarehard. The box itself is in very nice shape...only some slightly bent flap corners ("dog ears"). Surprised it came in a box w/ a CD.

This is actually my first SMT game...and I already tested it out and wow, it looks very high-production-ish. Looking forward to playing it fully next month.

Definitely getting this. I kept hearing about how it's a return to the more traditional SMT games and since I've liked those a lot more than the newer ones... No brainer for me.

A couple of the stores around me got shipped a couple extra copies with their daily shipments today, so if you had a hard time finding it at a store around, you may want to give them a call just in case they received some as well.

Bought a copy today. Last one near the two stores I work at. I could not resist because I loved Nocturne to death.

Although the fucking box looked like it was sent through a preschool on drawing day. It has all scratches on the cover,and it is torn in many places. I got the game and the soundtrack so that's what really matters.

God only knows when I will play this though. Mass Effect 2 is like crack to me now :D

[quote name='Adamu Kuezada']Does this game NEED the shoulder buttons? My R button doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

This trick works on 99% of broken R buttons. Lift up the button slightly with your finger and blow into the space. Usually a piece of dust gets caught between the button and the contact. It worked for me.

I'll PM this to you to make sure you try this.

On topic. I'd love to, but my backlog will cry.

bread's done
Back