Kindle: Yay or Nay

bobo2k4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
How are these things? I've been looking to read more but never had any experiences with e-readers. How are they on the eyes after staring at it too long?

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge yay. I've had one for 2 years or so now. Started with a Kindle 1 I bought used in early 2009. Got a refurb K2 last summer for cheap, and upgraded to the new K3 around Xmas as I passed the K2 onto my parents.

I read a ton more since getting it since it's so convenient to not have to hassle with paper books I'll only read ones. And there are a ton of free books--public domain classics, indie authors giving away books etc.

The screen is great, it's not backlit so you need a light source just like you do with a paper book. But the benefit is that it doesn't tire the eyes like reading on a PC screen or iPad as it really looks like paper.

Downsides are the DRM. There's only a very limited loaning system and books you buy are tied to your account. But that's true of all the e-readers out from Sony, the Nook etc. as well. An advantage to Kindle is they have Kindle Apps for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry etc. so you can also read every book on any of those devices by downloading the free app.

So I highly recomend it. eBooks are great, and the Kindle is the way to go as the Amazon store has the widest selection of ebooks, and prices tend to be the same or cheaper there than the other stores. And again, the benfit of all those apps where you can read you books on multiple devices (it will sycn up to your current page if you have the wifi on the Kindle on--or turn it on and hit the sync option when you finish reading).

I had a Kindle 1, which I sold a few months ago and just bought a new Kindle 3 a few days ago.

I love it and would definitely recommend it to anybody who was interested in reading. The e-ink screen, the built in dictionary, the ability to carry around hundreds of books in a thing smaller than the size of a paperback...it's all perfect. Same with the fact you can log into the Kindle store where ever you are to grab a new book (if you have the 3G model or are around a wifi spot) and that you can grab thousands of free (classic) books from the public domain.

DRM isn't that big of a deal. You can always break it but it doesn't really matter in the long run since all the books are tied to your Amazon account and you can redownload them whenever you want, as many times as you want. It is sort of like Steam.

- edit Let me just hammer this home with a picture I took on my front porch. I wish it was sunny out so I could do it in my front yard and really blow your mind but...

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9056/kindlebig.jpg

(and the typo on the Kindle version is my fault, I broke the drm on a Topaz file and some times they come out a little wonky when you convert them to .MOBI)

- edit 2 To give you an idea of how thin it is compared with the other photo I posted.

83476792.jpg

Yep. Feedbooks is another great source for free books, as is mobileread.com.

The Kindle store itself has a lot of public domain stuff for free as well.

Great input, guys. thanks.

I don't follow it too much but is it like the ipod where there is a different one every year? I really don't need all that many features just books and some wifi.
Will it be a good investment or should I wait for a newer one?
I mostly read military type books (black hawk down, band of brothers, etc.) and have been looking to expand into other genres. While we are at it can anyone recommend anything good?

Edit: thanks for the links to the free books. I'll be sure to check them all out soon.

It came out in 2007 and it's on the 3rd generation.

They don't add much other than improving speed, the 3rd gen one has a new (and much better) screen) and changing the case design. Some features like apps that have some games etc.

But the device is a very simple e-reader that has some rudimentary internet etc., so there's not need to upgrade with each model or anything. Text is text. The e-books don't change.

And the K3 is damn near perfect as a novel reader IMO.

I bought one for my Dad and he likes it.

I haven't used it much, but keep in mind:

-iPod app only lets you read books; you can't read magazines, newspapers, blogs, etc on iPod/iPhone app

-You can't use it with the library like you can the nook and other readers.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It came out in 2007 and it's on the 3rd generation.

They don't add much other than improving speed, the 3rd gen one has a new (and much better) screen) and changing the case design. Some features like apps that have some games etc.

But the device is a very simple e-reader that has some rudimentary internet etc., so there's not need to upgrade with each model or anything. Text is text. The e-books don't change.

And the K3 is damn near perfect as a novel reader IMO.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to but the difference between the screen used on the Kindle 1 and the Kindle 3 is pretty noticeable.

He's right though about them adding new stuff that isn't really a deal breaker. It is things like darker contrast, faster screen refresh, more memory, more shades of grey. Things that are nice but not really needed.

I would suggest getting the 3G model though. It is nice to be away from a wifi hotspot and still be able to access the Kindle store and the internet in a pinch.

[quote name='2DMention']-iPod app only lets you read books; you can't read magazines, newspapers, blogs, etc on iPod/iPhone app[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is true. My Dad, who I share a Kindle account with, bought a Orlando Sentinel on his Android phone. (I found out after I checked my email and went ?. He didn't know you had to buy it and than gave me two quarters to cover it :lol: )

Yeah, the K3 screen is great and worth the upgrade for sure. Moot for him since he'd probably be buying a K3--not much point in buying an older one used now that prices are down.

Wifi only or 3G just depends how much you're on the go. I opted for Wifi only as I hardly ever take my kindle out of the house (only for out of town trips) so it wasn't worth the extra $50 as I'd hardly ever used the 3G on my K1 or K2 outside of the house. I always have a ton of books preloaded on it anyway, so I have plenty to read on trips if I don't get near a wifi hot spot.

I really dislike digital content so nay for me. I enjoy buying the books I read and having that collection. If I had the money, I'd buy a kindle/nook and purchase the books.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I really dislike digital content so nay for me. I enjoy buying the books I read and having that collection. If I had the money, I'd buy a kindle/nook and purchase the books.[/QUOTE]

I used to be that way but have been changing my tune. Just too much clutter living in a small condo in the city and moving often.

So I've fully embraced e-books for my leisure reading and finally started by MP3s instead of CDs (since I was just ripping them and never listening to them anyway).

I have a Nook and I really really like it. The whole idea of carrying around a whole collection of books on one device is incredibly nice. Screen is easy to read, never strains my eyes, and the page size doesn't ever feel too small. I am sure that a Kindle is similar when it comes to these features.

[quote name='ROB64']I say nay nay on anything that has DRM.[/QUOTE]

I usually do, but I don't care for this since you can redownload from Amazon at anytime and can use the apps to read the books on other platforms etc.

I seldom re-read anyway and don't care about loaning things to people so it really has no impact on me. And as Sporadic posted it's easily stripped for those so inclined.

Also, just so the OP is clear--DRM isn't a Kindle only issue. Nook has it's own DRM, Sony Reader has its, iBooks on the iPad hs its and so on.

Just the way e-books are now. Everything except free classics and some indie published books are going to be DRMd to your account on whichever brand of e-reader you have.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I have a Nook and I really really like it. The whole idea of carrying around a whole collection of books on one device is incredibly nice. Screen is easy to read, never strains my eyes, and the page size doesn't ever feel too small. I am sure that a Kindle is similar when it comes to these features.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are very similar.

The K3 has a newer generation e-ink screen that has a whiter background and 50% better contrast than the e-ink screen that's in the nook and was in the previous kindle model. And battery life is better (1 month with wifi off is the rating--3 weeks with wifi only model with wireless on, 10 days on the 3G model with wireless on). The little LCD screen on the Nook eats the battery faster--but it still gets good battery life.

The selling point of the Kindle for me (over Sony and later the Nook) is the Amazon store just had the best selection and prices when I compared. Downside is if you're local library does e-book lending, it won't work with the Kindle as it's a different DRM scheme. But will work with the Nook and Sony Reader. I didn't care about that personally, but an FYI for those who do.

[quote name='ROB64']I say nay nay on anything that has DRM.[/QUOTE]

Eh. There's plenty of non-DRM'd stuff out there. You're only getting DRM if you buy from amazon.com.

You might be missing out. :)

Nay. I like having the physical book in my hands. I read fast so the lag in the page turning on the Kindle slows me down.

I love ebooks. I'm dyslexic and the epaper, super large text and limited reading area makes it a hell of a lot easier for me to read. My first one was a Sony Reader 505 and I recently got one of the new Kindles with 3G (my 505 was stolen and I figured it was time for a change). If I didn't have my 505 stolen, I would probably still be using it because it still worked just fine after 3 years. In my experience, they really are lasting devices so long as you are not someone who needs to have the latest device and you don't drop things. The 505 wasn't as small as my current Kindle 3G, but it was pretty close. (The Sony Reader 505 which was released in 2007 was 9oz, the most recent Kindle 3G is 8.7oz)

Ebook devices are really nice and the Kindle is probably the easiest to recommend since it's the cheapest and is well supported by Amazon and third parties. Each one has their advantages and disadvantages, but the pearl epaper and simplistic design is what sold me on the Kindle. I thought the touch screens of the newer Sony Readers were hard to read and I thought the glossy finish and the color LED screen of the Nook would be distracting for me.

Epaper causes me less eye strain than real paper, but that's probably just me. Since I've gotten my new Kindle I've read books for hours on end, it's really nice and I think it's well worth it.
[Although, the trend of not including a cover with the ebook is kind of sucks... When I got my 505 it came with a really nice leather cover, but now you have to buy one separately.]

[quote name='dopa345']Nay. I like having the physical book in my hands. I read fast so the lag in the page turning on the Kindle slows me down.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the K3. The lag is nearly negligible now. It used to bother me on the original model but doesn't any more as it's much faster.

I just downloaded the Android app and am happy enough with that. It's nice that you can change the color theme to resemble a paperback (a kinda tan background with the text a muted black, for a contrast level that is comfortable on the eyes).

I have to admit, it does feel weird reading a book off an electronic device though. You finish it and are like "Did I really just read a whole book on this tiny screen?"

I'd get the Nook Color personally.With very little effort you can have a pretty decent Android tablet and still retain the ability to read books, plus you can install the Kindle App on it, which is just all kinds of wrong.

Seems they've taken them off the shelves for a few weeks because of that though. B&N is pissed people are buying them for tablets and not buying any books, as they only make around $50 on the $250 device itself, they count on revenue from book purchases. Basically people are breaking their business model.

edit- Seems that bit aobut being taken off shelves was untrue.

I love my K3. I use calibre to manage my ebook collection. Just right click and it emails any of my books directly to the device. I majored in Lit in college and took me until this past fall to get into an ebook reader. I am SO glad I did. It is...amazing.

*I use it only for reading. I don't browse the web or play any games on it (yet, I should add). Have seen the nook in person and not sure why everyone likes it. The kindle was built for reading and that's why I bought it. No dissing nookers though ;)

I got the K1 and still use it. I know that there have been improvements since then, but it works just fine for me. I travel a lot and the Kindle allows me to take several books with me at no additional weight. The anti-reflective screen is really good for reducing eye fatigue. If I were to need to replace my Kindle, I would have no hesitation in purchasing another one.

If it helps at all, Best Buy is giving away free covers with the purchase of an e-reader this week. Covers normally cost around $30-40.

[quote name='Clak']I'd get the Nook Color personally.With very little effort you can have a pretty decent Android tablet and still retain the ability to read books, plus you can install the Kindle App on it, which is just all kinds of wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Only down side is that's an LCD screen rather than e-ink, so reading on it for long stretches can fatigue the eyes from being backlit. And the battery life will be much shorter. I charge my K3 every 3 weeks or so, and I read at least 30-60 minutes a day on it.

But that's a to each, their own kind of thing. I have friends who read on the Kindle app on iPad (as the iBooks store selection and prices suck) and love it. I like tablets for surfing the net etc., but it bothers my eyes if I read for more than 30 minutes or so on them.

As soon as I got my Kindle, my time for reading seems to have disappeared. I was reading "The Windup Girl" in paperback, and I wanted to finish it before I started using the Kindle, and a month later I'm still reading it!

Still REALLY looking forward to the Kindle though! But I plan on using it mostly for the free classics.

YAY. E-ink is easy on the eyes and great for long reading sessions. The kindles battery life makes it a superior buy to most tablet PCs. I second using calibre to manage your ebook library.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Only down side is that's an LCD screen rather than e-ink, so reading on it for long stretches can fatigue the eyes from being backlit. And the battery life will be much shorter. I charge my K3 every 3 weeks or so, and I read at least 30-60 minutes a day on it.

But that's a to each, their own kind of thing. I have friends who read on the Kindle app on iPad (as the iBooks store selection and prices suck) and love it. I like tablets for surfing the net etc., but it bothers my eyes if I read for more than 30 minutes or so on them.[/QUOTE]
That's true, I have noticed though that these tablet and phones displays don't seem to hurt my eyes as much as a computer monitor.

[quote name='Clak']That's true, I have noticed though that these tablet and phones displays don't seem to hurt my eyes as much as a computer monitor.[/QUOTE]

Same with me. I think that's because it's easier to get the viewing distance right (can hold and read like a book or magazine which you can't do with a desktop or laptop) and very easy to turn the brightness down to match the lighting etc.

I'll definitely get a tablet eventually for net surfing, magazines, comics etc., but I'll stick with an e-ink reader for novels for the screen and battery life.

I have the Kindle 3 (wifi only) and I really like it.

Pro:
-Great screen
-Loads of old books for free
-Light
-No need to hold open a book

Cons:
-Can't loan e-books from the library (you can on the nook)
-no touch screen/color

The Kindle or Nook are both good choices, try them out at Best Buy and do some research. The Kindle won my money, but it was very close.

You have to consider the cost of the device divided by the number of books you will read on it. If you only read 10 books with an average cost of $10 a book, then with the cost of the device the books were $25+ a piece. E-readers are for people who read a lot. If that is you and you can get over not having a book in your hand, then they are great devices.

[quote name='umcthomas']E-readers are for people who read a lot. If that is you and you can get over not having a book in your hand, then they are great devices.[/QUOTE]

I kind of regret buying it for my Dad for father's day. Originally, I thought he would lose his sight, so it could read to him. But he got an operation and that didn't happen.

All he reads on it is Politico and Huffington post, and about 2-3 books a year. I guess it really isn't worth it for him, but he enjoys it.

I vote Yay. If only to save you from hand cramps caused holding open a King, Martin, Stephenson novel. The Stand will be far more enjoyable when your not holding 500 pages in each hand.

Big Yay from me. Wife got me one on my last birthday, and I love it. I don't use it as much as I would like to, but it's still great. The battery life is unbelievable. I couldn't fathom the fact that I hadn't touched the device in over 6 weeks-ish (I think) and it was still going... haha.

Last thing I read on it... hmmm.. Fight Club, I believe.

[quote name='KillerRamen']If it helps at all, Best Buy is giving away free covers with the purchase of an e-reader this week. Covers normally cost around $30-40.[/QUOTE]

I think I got enough positive feedback here to make a decision and KillerRamen really sold it with the Best Buy promo.

I'll try and head out to BB sometime this week and pick one up. Only thing that sucks is I still have a couple of paperbacks on the backburner and wanted to finish those up before I bought anything.
Thanks again, guys.

Covers can be had for much cheaper. I got a super nice leather cover for my nook for 13 dollars. Got it from bn.com through buy.com for 13 bucks and the tag on the back said 35.

I bought my sister an envelope type cover for 12 bucks that retailed for above 30 and it was super nice.

Get a deal on the device and don't be swayed by sales on covers.

i chose a nook over kindle for the formats it supports, the free lending of a book to someone for 14 days, you can also go into an b&n store and read a wireless book for free for an hour,e-pub and the price for the basic wifi model. also the nook's storage can be upgraded with a micro sd card- remove the back cover and is slides into a flip up metal clip. i snagged a nice portfolio case with extra charging cord of amazon for 25 and a hard travel housing with 2 screen cards off ebay for 11 with free shipping. i just use an older led booklight for nighttime-no fancy light fer me

This is something I'm considering for my son on his upcoming birthday.
I originally thought the Kindle was the way to go, but the lack of library support really kills it for me.
The Nook Wifi is pretty much the same machine, but the screen quality is a little lackluster compared to the Kindle. Is this correct? Will the print on the Nook hurt his eyes if he reads for 1-2 hours at a time?
I'm not too worried about the cost of books, I understand 'Zon is cheaper, but is there *that* much of a difference?

FYI, Kindle has lending now too. Though not many books seem to support it (up to publishers on whether to allow it or not--I assume that's the same with the Nook).

Also a cool update on the Kindle yesterday that adds real page numbers to the books (in addition to the location system and % read). Good for students who need to site things, or people in book clubs where some are reading the print version etc. You get the ISBN number from the e-book description and that will tell you which print version the page numbers are from.

[quote name='powercreep']
The Nook Wifi is pretty much the same machine, but the screen quality is a little lackluster compared to the Kindle. Is this correct? Will the print on the Nook hurt his eyes if he reads for 1-2 hours at a time?[/QUOTE]

The Nook color has an LCD screen, those can strain the eyes.

The regular nook is fine. It just has the last generation e-ink screen--same that was in the Kindle 2. It doesn't strain the eyes at all. The contrast just isn't as good as the new e-ink Pearl screen that's in the Kindle 3.

I think the next version of the Nook is supposed to have the Pearl screen, not sure when it's coming out.

bread's done
Back