Nyko Raven PS3 Controller $20

One star review? Generic controllers are pointless on the ps3. Just get a usb adaptor for ps2 controllers and use those. Cheaper and higher quality.

ps2 controller is same thing pretty much as ps2 controller. i figured it would be worth a shot seeing how it normally sells for $35-40. I can probaby get my money back on ebay if it sucks

i first heard about it on the cagcast a few weeks ago. they said it was decent and i trust them. worst case scenario is i'm out $20. and since it usually goes for $35 i'm pretty confident i can resell it for $20 if i want

I have the non off set sticks on that is like the original PS3 controller. I like it, and I really see no difference from a normal controller in terms of response. The R1-and L1 is a bit off in terms of reach but that is only if you are used to the standard PS3 controllers. After 5 minutes use it is natural. For $20 worth a shot, if you don't like it then great for guests.

oh well just showing that there is an option out there. will probably try it for the single player of kz3 and if aiming really is that bad use the standard controller for multiplayer. it's weird i prefer the 360 controller for shooters but the best 2 of the year are ps3 exclusive. everything else the ds3 is perfect for imo

I actually have this controller and like it quite a bit. Also when you leave the dongle plugged into the ps3 it does not automatically take controller ID 1 until you hit the power button on the controller itself. Which is nice if you want to use a dualshock instead for what ever game. To me the are a little high but I got use to them.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I actually have this controller and like it quite a bit. Also when you leave the dongle plugged into the ps3 it does not automatically take controller ID 1 until you hit the power button on the controller itself. Which is nice if you want to use a dualshock instead for what ever game. To me the are a little high but I got use to them.[/QUOTE]

What is the dead zone like? When you push the sticks is it immediate response? I've read that the sticks aren't precise which would suck for shooters Like CoD.

This controller is actually pretty good. The dead zone is generally caused by a poor sync. This can normally be fixed by re syncing the controller which honestly with a standard wireless controller should be done before it's used the first time anyway.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Nyko? No way in hell, buddy.[/QUOTE]

Have you been living under a rock. The new Nyko rules. I admit it's hit and miss at times but they make some good stuff now.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']What is the dead zone like? When you push the sticks is it immediate response? I've read that the sticks aren't precise which would suck for shooters Like CoD.[/QUOTE]

I have not really tried it with shooters play most of those on my 360 mostly used this in the god of war collection remake. Little noticeable but nothing to bad. And I aggree with you nyko has really stepped up its game this generation.

I bought this controller a few months ago and I'll tell you its really horrible. The quality feels nice but the performance sucks. Dead zone is ......... wow.. you can't even aim using this controller. So I returned the controller back to Gamestop and the lady asked me how it was lol. Don't buy this controller!

[quote name='kinney_bmx']Seems like there isn't a single good third-party PS3 controller.
Though that doesn't really bother me as I like the DS3 alot[/QUOTE]

nyko core

For anyone that has possibly tried both is this better or worse than the Power A PS3 Pro Elite? I thought Power A made a good effort but did notice the dead zone of the analog sticks some so never eneded up buying one.

However I do get hand cramps when playing PS3 shooters for an extended period so I will probably need to break down eventually and buy one of these.

[quote name='fujimitsu']Just get a usb adaptor for ps2 controllers and use those. Cheaper and higher quality.[/QUOTE]

As someone else pointed out, that's kind of pointless. Unfortunately, the quality of this control stinks, but the idea is that a lot of people prefer a bigger, bulkier controller, like the 360's. Plus, they might also prefer the stick configuration.

TWO THINGS:

I hate the PS3's convex joysticks.

I hate the PS3's convex L2/R2 triggers.

My thumbs and fingers, respectively, slip off of both.

Mods exist for both of these problems. First:XBOX Joystick in your PS3 controller mod
22.jpg

Second:
PS3 Concave Triggers (no modding required!)

end result:
25.jpg

I did this mod and it is amazing.

FYI: Sony blocked some of the USB dongle third party controllers(like this one is) a while ago with firmware update 3.50.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/24/ps3-firmware-3-50-disables-some-usb-peripherals-consumers-repor/

Moreover, I believe they also blocked some of the PS2-to-PS3 controller adapters as well, since some of them were just basically a USB to PS2 controller port looking sort of adapter.

There are some third party controllers out there for the PS3 that run on Bluetooth and styled after the 360 controller(and as such aren't blocked), such as the Rocketfish ones from Best Buy. Those were clearanced out a while ago at $10 each and while the L2/R2 triggers are weaker, the battery life is shorter per charge and the PS button needs to be 'broke in' before being used it's a good enough controller for $10.

Well worth the price if you play a button mashing type of game and don't want to annihilate your Dual Shock 3.

SKU for the Rocketfish controllers for $10 at Best Buy: 9443809

Stock locator link for Rocketfish controller: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...contract_desc=2+YEARS+NEW&pageMode=searchmode

That controller is no longer listed on BB's site, so you'll have to use the stock locator link above and/or go in-store to find one.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Have you been living under a rock. The new Nyko rules. I admit it's hit and miss at times but they make some good stuff now.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you along with Madcatz and PDP which i think is Pelican now are all putting out great products.

bread's done
Back