Good USB Hub fo PS3 Slim?

nbballard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
My 80gig fat with 4 USB ports just died this week and I've switched to a slim. I made good use of my USB ports on my old system (PSeye, Charging, Rockband, 2x Buzz! dongles, EA Sports Active).

Anyone recommend a good hub?

I read some reviews on Amazon for some 3rd party adapters and a lot of people were complaining that if they tried to use several of the ports at once that the system got overwhelmed and told them too many connections were associated with the port.

(sorry if this has been discussed - USB doesn't work in the search terms).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this brought up times before. If you search slickdeals I know there was a thread over there not too long ago with alot of good feedback. I can't help ya though, I just use the 4way splitter from rockband which gives me 7 ports

For some reason, DealExtreme won't load for me, so I can't verify, but I think this is the one I really liked. I stumbled upon it one day and was going to buy it, but didn't really have a use for more than 2 ports. Anyway, here's the link, hopefully it works for you.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4-port-usb-hub-with-sd-card-reader-for-ps3-slim-47607

EDIT: Yup, that's the one (Google cache). Looks pretty cool and doesn't take any extra space.

sku_47607_1.jpg

You should really charge your controllers on other devices around your TV with USB. That way you can charge even when your PS3 is off and it'll be quicker to charge than the PS3. Things like Cable or Satellite box works well.

^lol. Actually, i've got one of the official wall chargers. I've actually never used my PS3 to charge controllers.

My biggest issue is that I like to have Buzz, Active, and my Camera plugged in all at once, otherwise, all the games tied to them become a bit of a production (and my wife won't use them).

I just recently acquired the energizer PS3 power & play gizmo. It has one USB port on it, which I plug my USB hub into. I prefer this unit because it has AC power so it doesnt require leaving my PS3 on to charge it. The hub I use is just a generic 1 to 4 ihome usb hub. I had to superglue one of the plastic prong spacer things cause it broke, but this worked well for me when plugged into one of the console ports.

(http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=018W445515290001P)

Do the active accessories (not chargers) work with the hubs? I seem to recall using a hub a long time ago and my PSeye not working (or at the very least the light didn't come on).

My usb camera worked when plugged into the hub connected to the console, charging my headset and controller (while playing burnout).

This is the one I use for my ps3.

Belkin usb hub

There's no sd card port, but you don't need to plug it into an outlet like some. You can use an extension usb cable so you don't have to get up every time to plug something in or charge it and all of ps3's accessories (except for the eye) for charging and playing while charging.

I use the Nyko Slim media hub. 4 ports, media card slot, a built in IR receiver and a little slim remote (that i don't use since I have a nice learning remote). Got it for 20 bucks.

[quote name='laaj']You should really charge your controllers on other devices around your TV with USB. That way you can charge even when your PS3 is off and it'll be quicker to charge than the PS3. Things like Cable or Satellite box works well.[/QUOTE]
i use my laptop at times:) doesn't the ps3 need to be on for the controller to charge though?

I was going to get that Belkin one but found a different Belkin model locally for about the same price. It's a little bigger than a pack of gum but it offers 4 ports (there's a 7 port model too I believe) and can be plugged in for additional power (which hasn't been a problem yet even with camera and drums plugged in). The ones that sit flush with the system are nice but they are more expensive and take both ports leaving you with 4. My dongle uses one for 5 total.

31qvW%2BMPK5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bread's done
Back