Need Help! LCD, LED, or Plasma? Which should I get ?

GirlsRscandalouz

CAGiversary!
I'm about to buy a new tv. I'm big on picture quality.

Plasmas look amazing with their contrast ratios and deep blacks as well as 600hz. (downside) screen burn?? some say its not a issue anymore with the new plasmas

LED and LCD's look great. Very bright, vibrant and clear 240hz and 120hz? Watched a football game and seems like it gets really pixelated when trying to keep up with the speed and movement.

This will be mainly for gaming and movies.. mostly gaming haha. 1080p and 50 inch at least.

Can I get some input from those knowledgeable on this subject and if you give an opinion can you give some info to support it? Thanks for the help!

Newer plasma's do not have the burn in issue. I just purchased a 50" Panasonic plasma in October and have been very pleased with its PQ. I didn't give it a "break in" time before gaming or watching letterbox movies or channels with static tickers at the bottom. No issues whatsoever.

about a grand I'm spending wanna get at least a 50 inch.. probably going for a plasma not sure yet thats why I want some feedback

I have a DLP, LCD, and Plasma and I like my plasma the best. Screen burn in is almost non-existant in new plasmas. I have a 50in Samsung (too lazy to look up model #; its 1.5-2 years old ran at $1800 at the time on sale) and love the dark blacks/natural colors. You can watch it at any angle (at least in the room I am in). We watch all our movies on it. The LCD (40in Samsung only 1 year older than plasma) rocks more colors (less blacks though) but for me it seems unnatural at times.

Based on your price point, you might not have enough for a decent LED. My suggestion for you is to just go to down to a store, eye the models, and see what is best for you. Note you can save money by just cutting out features like 3D and TV apps; both which you may never use.

local bb has the Samsung 46" LED, 120hz for $900. Online has it for less than $1000

I have last year's model and it's fantastic.

I know every line of TVs have duds, but I am about to return a 60" LG plasma that has problems with ghosting and some image retention way after the "break in" period (and some annoying buzz/hum) Will probably try a Panasonic plasma next or an LED and not have to stress about image retention.

Also, as silly as it sounds, I am amazed at how few HDTVs have regular old audio outs (red/white).

both of my plasmas (samsung and lg) have some image retention, but only for a short while. I think that is normal for plasmas, which IMO have the best picture. especially for video games.

and the audio outputs are only fiber optic, not the oldschool red and white. good for me, cause my surround sounds has fiber optic.

Major drawbacks to plasmas are size, weight and power consumption. They're usually superior on all performance specs, and price to boot.

[quote name='ScottBigGame']This line of Mitsubishi LED TV's are the best I've seen. With the built-in sound bar these are amazing. I have a 2 year old version of this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KTN0AA

I prefer the LCD/LED over plasma but it really depends on the set and how much money you have.

If you only have $1000 and want a 50" go with Plasma.[/QUOTE]

You obviously haven't seen a Pioneer Elite Plasma. I can't afford one but it is def the best TV I have seen.

[quote name='lordopus99']You obviously haven't seen a Pioneer Elite Plasma. I can't afford one but it is def the best TV I have seen.[/QUOTE]

The branding is coming back, but it will just be Sharp panels.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Major drawbacks to plasmas are size, weight and power consumption. They're usually superior on all performance specs, and price to boot.[/QUOTE]

^This

Plasmas have settings that you can change to help conserve more power, I set mine to "cool" and then you can customize it from there. I haven't have any problems with my plasma at all, and it's 3 or 4 years old now. My LCD had major problems, but it is still working for the kids (black circles on the bottom, lines going through, pixels broken etc) and that happened about after 2 years, right after the warranty expired.

Plasma's tend to reflect a lot of glare, that would be my one and only complaint about it, I had to buy black curtains to keep the light from reflecting, which isn't a huge deal really. A lot of people complain about LCD's refreshing, because it does it often, and you can see the lines, if you are looking for them. Some plasma's start to "snow" after sometime, and usually you notice that on black screens. Repairing tv's is expensive, and usually not worth it.

Since my LCD is basically screwed, I'm going to get an LED now, best buy has one on sale for 450$ (although it's only a 32") Which is all I need for my bedroom. I would suggest going to a store and trying them out before deciding because they all have their positives and negatives. The best buys down here have consoles connected to them so you can even test them out before buying.

bread's done
Back