When did the History Channel become the redneck channel?

Clak

CAGiversary!
I don't know how controversial this necessarily is, but when the hell did this begin? It feels like it's been slowly happening for years now, but now they've got Larry the fucking cable guy hosting a show. The promotions for this just sicken me "Well when I was growing up on the farm we had pride in the country..." it's like if Sarah Palin had her own tv network.

Even our educational channels aren't educational anymore, fuck.

Isn't Palin on TLC?

I only watch the History Channel for anything sex related. Don't lie all of you do as well.

According to what the oldster people tell me, integrity in television content was gone before I was born. How about MTV without music videos or the Sci-fi channel with wrasslin' on it?

It was the Hitler channel for a while, thee was always a ton of biblical stuff that has been supplanted by aliens.

They have the occasional informative special and I love Pawn Stars but other than that not a lot going on.

I guess it's because I've seen this transition over the last 4-5 years or so (I was an avid History Channel viewer when I was 14-15) that I'm not as surprised, but it still bugs me.

I understand the place that people like Pickers (American Pickers), Pawn Shops (Pawn Stars), Loggers (Ax Men), Truck Drivers (Ice Road Truckers), etc all have in our society, but do we really need major series about every one of them? Most of these could be given a 3-4 episode special (a short version of "The States" if you will) and be just as good.

My viewing of the History Channel went from nearly daily (if not for hours a day) back about 4-5 years ago to almost 0 now. My list above could go on and on and on. The History Channel is no longer about history. Now it's about reality shows.

History International still has interesting things occasionally. HC itself is fucking worthless though. Sorry to say as a former HC addict. They need to be honest and rebrand themselves The Redneck Channel.

Pickers makes sense since it's mostly Americana that they're searching for and finding. Then again they could call the show "The Rotting Treasures of The Midwest" and it'd be more accurate. Also, chest tattoo girl is stupid hot...

The Trucker thing is kind of weird, not sure where it's rise of popularity came from. Then again they are interesting people, just not very history related if you ask me.

I watched two episodes of the Pawn Shop show and had to stop. They have no clue with some of the items (mostly anything music related) in terms of value and it just sickens me to think that stupid people will suddenly think grandpa's old guitar is worth a new house.

Seriously, I used to love watching it, but it's basically shit now. About the only thing I really like are the occasional educational programs (like how the states got their shapes) but those are pretty few and far between. I'll watch Modern Marvels every now and then, that's about it. The same has happened with Discovery Channel, ever since american chopper started it's been going down hill.

edit- Yeah pawn stars has basically lowered my faith in humanity, people are just stupid.

LOLZ, if you guys are pissed about TLC, History, Discovery, etc, how do you feel about PBS showing get-rich-quick schemes. :D

While some of the shows are complete crap, I have to say I like the channel in general for what it is, it is one of the very channels I actually watch unless I watch a series which I record on the DVR. I rarely sit down and just watch television anymore.

[quote name='dohdough']LOLZ, if you guys are pissed about TLC, History, Discovery, etc, how do you feel about PBS showing get-rich-quick schemes. :D[/QUOTE]
What? I haven't seen any, when do they do that?

[quote name='Strell']I only watch the History Channel for anything sex related. Don't lie all of you do as well.[/QUOTE]

Goddammit, there's sex things on History???
Why am I never informed of these important developments :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Truth be told if I browse to the History channel and the title of the show does not begin either "Hitler..." or "Nazis...." I'm straight on to the Military Channel.

[quote name='Clak']What? I haven't seen any, when do they do that?[/QUOTE]
They've been showing Rich Dad, Poor Dad, some Trump bullsiht, and a couple other more popular ones on weekends. Especially sundays if I remember right. I don't watch much tv, but I know I see them all the time. Oh, and late at night too. It's straight up crazy ass shit.

[quote name='benjamouth']Goddammit, there's sex things on History???
Why am I never informed of these important developments :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Truth be told if I browse to the History channel and the title of the show does not begin either "Hitler..." or "Nazis...." I'm straight on to the Military Channel.[/QUOTE]
But how many times could you actually sit there and watch the SAME show where they're looking for the remnants of Hitler's bunker in Berlin and showing what they believe to be a piece of his skull.:roll:

For a while History Channel began to look like The Rerun Network. It was the same shows over and over and over again.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
For a while History Channel began to look like The Rerun Network. It was the same shows over and over and over again.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

History, it would seem, is doomed to repeat itself

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

[quote name='nasum']History, it would seem, is doomed to repeat itself

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH![/QUOTE]

:applause:

man, that was good and corny. well done.

I'd rather it be the redneck channel then the "ZOMFG the world is gonna end by (insert disaster) because (insert extinct group/Prophet) predicted" channel

I think I'd rather see another Nostradamus doomsday program than Larry the fucking Cable Guy wrasslin a gator.

yeah who the hell gave larry the redneck his own show?

other than pawnstars and ancient aliens (which even that is getting boring now), there's no other reason to watch HC

I can kinda see why it's the redneck channel because it's about Americana. I do like American Pickers and you're right - the tattooed girl that works for them (Danielle) is crazy hot. They need more of her on that show.

And now The Science Channel has begun to air science fiction entertainment (i.e. Firefly). It's only a matter of time before niche channels can't make a profit without airing shows not pertaining to their core audience or showing tons of infomercials.

Idiocracy is coming true, folks. Next up: The Explosions channel and when you renew your subscription, they'll give you a free toilet-easy chair.

Back in the day, I use to watch TLC. That had some good programming. In fact I remember HATING the History Channel for all the dramatized movies they'd have on historical figures and events when TLC was straight up documentary.

I was thinking the same thing to myself not long ago, very much agree with you OP. I use to love all the historical features and slowly along came Ice Road Truckers, you name it and all of a sudden they became another faceless reality show channel.

Must be a change in management, how else do explain the downward spiral the show is taking? I could be wrong of course and maybe they're making a ton of money on the quick-buck reality shows but I have no idea. All I know is that I barely watch the channel anymore and it's just sad from where I'm sitting.

Ironically the best "History Show" in recent memory is Deadliest Warrior on Spike. Not sure if you've seen it but the show is as good as HC was back in the day. Ironic that I go to Spike for my history fix now...

I can even take things like that history of the south show with billy ray cyrus, because it's at least telling you about the history of an area, and some is actually pretty interesting, like how the mountainous areas of the south are huge pot growing areas. This new stuff has little to no historical of educational value though.

The History Channel?

Yeah, there's really not much market for this kinda thing now. It could sit in the shop for a long time. I tell you what, I can do a hundred bucks, not a penny more.

The wrestling being on SYFY used to get me too, until I realized that it more or less is science fiction played off as if it's real.

Just get Netflix and watch documenteraries. Seriously me and my have never had Television(we have a TV just no channels)the entire time we have been out on our own. In this time it has never bugged us because the 2 or 3 good shows like Top Chef we want to watch we download. The rest our simple $8 a month fee from netflix lets us watch either instantly or on DVD ;)

Being at relatives houses and see history channel it does seem its went down hill but again there is some decent programing as well...and guess what...it ends up on netflix!

bread's done
Back