All Dogs go to Heaven, Secret of Nimh Blu Ray $10.00 at Wal-Mart YMMV

aTaRiFrEaK223

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
All Dogs Go To Heaven: http://www.amazon.com/All-Dogs-Go-H...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1297641482&sr=8-3

All Dogs Go To Heaven 2: http://www.amazon.com/All-Dogs-Go-H...ef=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1297641585&sr=8-4

Secret of Nimh: http://www.amazon.com/Secret-of-Nim...ef=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1297641622&sr=1-4

Release date is March 29th. Preordered the first ADGTH and SoN myself.

Edit: My local Wal-Mart had these out early for $10 each, so I bought them there and cancelled my Amazon preorder.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gameboy415']Nice!

Here's hoping they release the American Tail movies and the original Land Before Time on BluRay too![/QUOTE]

Yes, but just the first LBT, not the 20 crappy sequels it spawned.

[quote name='Gden']That is a horrible cover.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is, and it's overpriced. But then again Anastasia is being released by Fox, the other 3 Bluth films are being released by MGM.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Secret of NIMH blew my mind as a kid because it was the only cartoon I knew of that had the word "damn." :shock::shame:[/QUOTE]

3 words. Transformers the movie (The one from 84 I want to say is what I am talking about)

beetle said Shit in it

Also the secret of nimh was my guilty pleasure when I was young, it was so dark and evil for an animated movie.

Well, it says that "Secret of NIMH" is widescreen. I wonder if it actually will be this time, and if it is done correctly. (Previous DVD releases have been full screen, and the last edition had a "widescreen" edition where they chopped off the top and bottom of the frame, rather than composing it correctly.

[quote name='dmdragon']3 words. Transformers the movie (The one from 84 I want to say is what I am talking about)

beetle said Shit in it

Also the secret of nimh was my guilty pleasure when I was young, it was so dark and evil for an animated movie.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bfg9k']It was 1986, and Spike said it.[/QUOTE]Hahaha wow. That must be why I only saw the movie one time. As a kid, I'd just watch whatever my dad rented from the video store. I somehow don't remember hearing that part, but my dad probably did and made a point of not adding Transformers to the usual rental rotation. :lol:

Anyway I'm stoked to see some Don Bluth films come out in HD! Surprised to see NIMH before An American Tail; I can only assume that one's on the way as well. And with how bad they've milked Land Before Time over the years, one can only assume we'll get a blu for that. Hopefully no sequels though!

Actually the american release of the original VHS was edited so there was no sound there, and they just silently looked on at the destruction

[quote name='BustaUppa']Secret of NIMH blew my mind as a kid because it was the only cartoon I knew of that had the word "damn." :shock::shame:[/QUOTE]

Well, besides Transformers...

Don't forget The Last Unicorn! The original unedited version had the word "damn" in it. (This movie was also recently challenged at our local library because it had the D word in it, which I just LOLed at. The parents were more concerned over the fact that a character said "Damn!" that they completely overlooked that the movie had a three breasted, topless, murderous harpy in it.)

[quote name='Gden']Actually the american release of the original VHS was edited so there was no sound there, and they just silently looked on at the destruction[/QUOTE]

I got called a liar at school cause I said I heard shit in it, but on its VHS release even damn was taken out and no one believed me.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Nice!

Here's hoping they release the American Tail movies and the original Land Before Time on BluRay too![/QUOTE]

So long as they limit it to An American Tail and An American Tail: Fievel goes West. I've not seen the most recent two but feel as if they would be an abomination.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Wal-Mart broke the street date near me and they are $10.00 a piece, YMMV. Edited OP.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was in Wal-Mart (Fair Lakes, VA) yesterday for the first time in ages and didn't see it, but then the electronics section (actually, most of the store, though the electronics section was the worst -- most of the games were nowhere to be found) looked like it had been hit by a tornado. I guess they must be remodeling it or something.

[quote name='gojiboy']Incidentally The Last Unicorn comes out on blu-ray/DVD combo next week, and besides looking better than ever, finally contains the uncensored, original language track besides the censored version. Review in link:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-Unicorn-Blu-ray/18418/#Review[/QUOTE]

Did Peter Beagle ever work out royalties over the film with those who currently have it? It is the reason why I don't own the film.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Did Peter Beagle ever work out royalties over the film with those who currently have it? It is the reason why I don't own the film.[/QUOTE]

I don't know the details about royalties, but I read an interview with Beagle recently, wherein he talked about being on the production team for the blu-ray and what viewers should expect. I don't think you'll break any loyalties with the author if you pick it up.

The same interview mentioned that the DVD in the combo pack is the very same as the previous DVD release, but the blu-ray is the remastered and uncensored version.

As for All Dogs, I'm waiting until there are more details on what the blu-ray contains before purchasing. In addition to the smaller censorship issues, I heard that some previous releases omitted the jail breakout at the beginning, which is a huge loss.

I'm also unsure about at what aspect ratio these Bluth films were intended to be screened. Sometimes, because the producers have an eye on home video release, animation of that era is created at 4:3 and matted to widescreen for the theater (eg Batman: Mask of the Phantasm).

I'll need to know that these prints have all the content and the proper aspect ratio before putting money down.

The Blu-Ray for All Dogs is going to be in WIDESCREEN (according to Amazon)! There hasn't been a widescreen release of All Dogs, so I'm way hyped about this. 10 bucks, no way I can turn that down! All Dogs is a tossup for my favorite animated feature of all time (with Fritz the Cat).

[quote name='Woodlands']I'm also unsure about at what aspect ratio these Bluth films were intended to be screened. Sometimes, because the producers have an eye on home video release, animation of that era is created at 4:3 and matted to widescreen for the theater (eg Batman: Mask of the Phantasm).[/QUOTE]

There's a whole lot of uncertainty out there about what the aspect ratio is supposed to be for the Secret of NIMH. Bluth himself has said that it is supposed to be 1.33:1. However, if you look at the tech specs on IMDB, it says:

Aspect Ratio

1.85:1
1.37:1 (negative ratio)
1.66:1 (intended ratio)

According to this site, it was animated in 1.33:1, and was matted to 1.85:1 for theatres:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/secretofnimh.html

All reports are that this blu-ray is at 1.85:1. I guess that means that you'll get the same experience from it that you would have in the theatre, anyway. A shame that they didn't include both the 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 versions like they did on the previous DVD release. However I suspect that if you decide to wait for the 1.33:1 version on blu-ray at this point, you could be waiting for a long time.

As great as Amazon is, you can't rely on them for correct aspect ratio specs. Furthering the confusion is the fact that many studios (WB, I'm looking at you) use very ambiguous language in regard to a blu-ray movie's framing. Sometimes "widescreen" will simply refer to a 16x9 encode (which will include hard-coded black bars on the side of the screen if it's a 4:3 movie). Worst of all is when something is referred to as "fullscreen" nowadays, which tends to mean the opposite of what the word implies.

[quote name='BustaUppa']As great as Amazon is, you can't rely on them for correct aspect ratio specs.[/QUOTE]

I'm not relying on Amazon. People on the blu-ray.com forums who have picked it up already from Wal-Mart have confirmed that it's 1.85:1.

[quote name='Woodlands']I don't know the details about royalties, but I read an interview with Beagle recently, wherein he talked about being on the production team for the blu-ray and what viewers should expect. I don't think you'll break any loyalties with the author if you pick it up.

The same interview mentioned that the DVD in the combo pack is the very same as the previous DVD release, but the blu-ray is the remastered and uncensored version.[/QUOTE]

Good news. If you can tell me where that interview is, I'd like to read it.

Edit: I see there is a commentary track with Beagle, so something must have been settled.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm not relying on Amazon. People on the blu-ray.com forums who have picked it up already from Wal-Mart have confirmed that it's 1.85:1.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it is framed correctly. A review on Amazon of the previous DVD version said that it was cropped, but that could be the way it was shown in the theaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, after hitting up a few Walmarts on the way home from work, found Secret of Nimh, All Dogs Go to Heaven, and Stand by Me. A nice little perk I wasn't expecting was Secret of Nimh and All Dogs Go to Heaven had movie cash for the animated movie Rio. (Not sure if I'm interested in Rio, but hey, free is free and I was happy enough buying the movies before I knew about the movie cash)

[quote name='caltab']I loved his movies as a kid...I think I even liked rock a doodle[/QUOTE]

*I'm gonna rock a doodle-doodle to you! (to you!) Just Like ya rock-a-doodle-doodle to me!*

I love everything Don Bluth has done. but I have to agree that is a shitty-ass cover for ADGTH. If either SoN or ADGTH have movie cash to Rango I might get them

[quote name='Irukandji']Struck out at 2 walmarts. Sadness.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been able to find these anywhere. I checked my Walmarts last week for early stock, and today for release date stock. I also checked Best Buy and they didn't have any either.

[quote name='aporter727']I haven't been able to find these anywhere. I checked my Walmarts last week for early stock, and today for release date stock. I also checked Best Buy and they didn't have any either.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I tried my local Wal-Mart and Best Buy and no luck. Maybe only certain stores are getting them (Super Wal-Marts)?

Got SoN and ADGtH at my local Walmart. They were $10 each! They also come with $10 movie cash for Rio, so in a way it's like the movies were free, since I was planning on watching Rio anyway!

bread's done
Back