- - - - -

All Dogs go to Heaven, Secret of Nimh Blu Ray $10.00 at Wal-Mart YMMV

#31 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

Wal-Mart broke the street date near me and they are $10.00 a piece, YMMV. Edited OP.

Damn, I was in Wal-Mart (Fair Lakes, VA) yesterday for the first time in ages and didn't see it, but then the electronics section (actually, most of the store, though the electronics section was the worst -- most of the games were nowhere to be found) looked like it had been hit by a tornado. I guess they must be remodeling it or something.

#32 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Incidentally The Last Unicorn comes out on blu-ray/DVD combo next week, and besides looking better than ever, finally contains the uncensored, original language track besides the censored version. Review in link:

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/18418/#Review

thanks for this info/link

#33 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2441 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

Incidentally The Last Unicorn comes out on blu-ray/DVD combo next week, and besides looking better than ever, finally contains the uncensored, original language track besides the censored version. Review in link:

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/18418/#Review

Did Peter Beagle ever work out royalties over the film with those who currently have it? It is the reason why I don't own the film.

#34 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12395 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:33 AM

thanks for this info/link

My Target has had this for 2 weeks now.

#35 Woodlands   spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Did Peter Beagle ever work out royalties over the film with those who currently have it? It is the reason why I don't own the film.

I don't know the details about royalties, but I read an interview with Beagle recently, wherein he talked about being on the production team for the blu-ray and what viewers should expect. I don't think you'll break any loyalties with the author if you pick it up.

The same interview mentioned that the DVD in the combo pack is the very same as the previous DVD release, but the blu-ray is the remastered and uncensored version.

#36 Woodlands   spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

As for All Dogs, I'm waiting until there are more details on what the blu-ray contains before purchasing. In addition to the smaller censorship issues, I heard that some previous releases omitted the jail breakout at the beginning, which is a huge loss.

I'm also unsure about at what aspect ratio these Bluth films were intended to be screened. Sometimes, because the producers have an eye on home video release, animation of that era is created at 4:3 and matted to widescreen for the theater (eg Batman: Mask of the Phantasm).

I'll need to know that these prints have all the content and the proper aspect ratio before putting money down.

#37 Taren Fox   Poker Fox CAGiversary!   309 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

The Blu-Ray for All Dogs is going to be in WIDESCREEN (according to Amazon)! There hasn't been a widescreen release of All Dogs, so I'm way hyped about this. 10 bucks, no way I can turn that down! All Dogs is a tossup for my favorite animated feature of all time (with Fritz the Cat).

#38 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

I'm also unsure about at what aspect ratio these Bluth films were intended to be screened. Sometimes, because the producers have an eye on home video release, animation of that era is created at 4:3 and matted to widescreen for the theater (eg Batman: Mask of the Phantasm).

There's a whole lot of uncertainty out there about what the aspect ratio is supposed to be for the Secret of NIMH. Bluth himself has said that it is supposed to be 1.33:1. However, if you look at the tech specs on IMDB, it says:

Aspect Ratio

1.85:1
1.37:1 (negative ratio)
1.66:1 (intended ratio)

According to this site, it was animated in 1.33:1, and was matted to 1.85:1 for theatres:

http://www.ultimated...cretofnimh.html

All reports are that this blu-ray is at 1.85:1. I guess that means that you'll get the same experience from it that you would have in the theatre, anyway. A shame that they didn't include both the 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 versions like they did on the previous DVD release. However I suspect that if you decide to wait for the 1.33:1 version on blu-ray at this point, you could be waiting for a long time.

#39 BustaUppa   what it is right now CAGiversary!   4998 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

As great as Amazon is, you can't rely on them for correct aspect ratio specs. Furthering the confusion is the fact that many studios (WB, I'm looking at you) use very ambiguous language in regard to a blu-ray movie's framing. Sometimes "widescreen" will simply refer to a 16x9 encode (which will include hard-coded black bars on the side of the screen if it's a 4:3 movie). Worst of all is when something is referred to as "fullscreen" nowadays, which tends to mean the opposite of what the word implies.

#40 Woodlands   spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

The Blu-Ray for All Dogs is going to be in WIDESCREEN (according to Amazon)! There hasn't been a widescreen release of All Dogs, so I'm way hyped about this.

Terrific! But do we know if widescreen is the preferred format, or if -- like NIMH ( http://www.dvdtalk.c...un-edition-the/ ) -- a 4:3 open matte shows the entire image?

#41 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

As great as Amazon is, you can't rely on them for correct aspect ratio specs.

I'm not relying on Amazon. People on the blu-ray.com forums who have picked it up already from Wal-Mart have confirmed that it's 1.85:1.

#42 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2441 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

I don't know the details about royalties, but I read an interview with Beagle recently, wherein he talked about being on the production team for the blu-ray and what viewers should expect. I don't think you'll break any loyalties with the author if you pick it up.

The same interview mentioned that the DVD in the combo pack is the very same as the previous DVD release, but the blu-ray is the remastered and uncensored version.

Good news. If you can tell me where that interview is, I'd like to read it.

Edit: I see there is a commentary track with Beagle, so something must have been settled.

I'm not relying on Amazon. People on the blu-ray.com forums who have picked it up already from Wal-Mart have confirmed that it's 1.85:1.

I wonder if it is framed correctly. A review on Amazon of the previous DVD version said that it was cropped, but that could be the way it was shown in the theaters.

Edited by TheLongshot, 24 March 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#43 Woodlands   spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Good news. If you can tell me where that interview is, I'd like to read it.

I believe it was this Toonzone interview.

#44 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   10135 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

Finally, after hitting up a few Walmarts on the way home from work, found Secret of Nimh, All Dogs Go to Heaven, and Stand by Me. A nice little perk I wasn't expecting was Secret of Nimh and All Dogs Go to Heaven had movie cash for the animated movie Rio. (Not sure if I'm interested in Rio, but hey, free is free and I was happy enough buying the movies before I knew about the movie cash)

#45 animemaniac14   Do the Monkey w/Me! CAGiversary!   3059 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

animemaniac14

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

I loved his movies as a kid...I think I even liked rock a doodle

*I'm gonna rock a doodle-doodle to you! (to you!) Just Like ya rock-a-doodle-doodle to me!*

I love everything Don Bluth has done. but I have to agree that is a shitty-ass cover for ADGTH. If either SoN or ADGTH have movie cash to Rango I might get them

#46 Irukandji   Lurking and Twerking CAGiversary!   1227 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

Struck out at 2 walmarts. Sadness.

#47 aporter727   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   274 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

aporter727

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Struck out at 2 walmarts. Sadness.

I haven't been able to find these anywhere. I checked my Walmarts last week for early stock, and today for release date stock. I also checked Best Buy and they didn't have any either.

#48 Taren Fox   Poker Fox CAGiversary!   309 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I haven't been able to find these anywhere. I checked my Walmarts last week for early stock, and today for release date stock. I also checked Best Buy and they didn't have any either.

Same here. I tried my local Wal-Mart and Best Buy and no luck. Maybe only certain stores are getting them (Super Wal-Marts)?

#49 Jommy   I wish I could come up with a cool title CAGiversary!   2054 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

Got SoN and ADGtH at my local Walmart. They were $10 each! They also come with $10 movie cash for Rio, so in a way it's like the movies were free, since I was planning on watching Rio anyway!

#50 Irukandji   Lurking and Twerking CAGiversary!   1227 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

I found ADGTH last night! It was on a 10 dollar blu ray display. They also had teen wolf lol. I wanted stand by me but I wasn't going to pay 15 bucks.

#51 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   10135 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

Somehow I lost one of my little sticker things for Rio. That makes me so mad it's not like a fullsize insert or something.

#52 whoasaywhat   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

whoasaywhat

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

I found ADGTH last night! It was on a 10 dollar blu ray display. They also had teen wolf lol. I wanted stand by me but I wasn't going to pay 15 bucks.

SBM was only 12 at my Wal Mart.

Picked up ADGTH, Nimh, SBM and Teen Wolf. Good deal. Thanks OP.

#53 gojiboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   415 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

I think unfortunately I'm going to wait to see if these drop more in the future. I was really looking forward to these animated releases, and although not expecting this amazing quality, from what I've read the upgrades are very minimal. Even though I don't own any of these DVDs, I'll wait for the $6-8 range, even if it takes a long time. It'd be cool in the future if they did a Don Bluth set. I've seen a double feature DVD at Walmart of Rock-a-doodle and The Pebble and the Penguin.

#54 optimusprime8062   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   714 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

optimusprime8062

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:00 AM

I'm going to take this thread as an opportunity to ask: When is The Land Before Time coming out on Blu-Ray!? Any rumors or ANYTHING? Hopefully it is next in line...

EDIT: And The Transformers Movie for that matter. G.I. Joe The Movie is released but not Transformers?

#55 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3041 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:55 AM

I thought I'd let everyone know that at best buy they may have a display up that says that Anastasia is $14.99 even though it rings up for $24.99. Its up towards the front of the store, and if you point it out they should adjust your price.

#56 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

I'm going to take this thread as an opportunity to ask: When is The Land Before Time coming out on Blu-Ray!? Any rumors or ANYTHING? Hopefully it is next in line...

EDIT: And The Transformers Movie for that matter. G.I. Joe The Movie is released but not Transformers?

It was released in the UK. I imported my copy from amazon.co.uk but it looks like it has since gone out of print though because the price has shot up for it.

#57 dg7md   Overall, one helluva pup CAGiversary!   1249 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

Picked up a copy of Nimh today. I was glad to see that the weird Rio movie promotional thing on the cover was an insert. Free movie tickets and the movie was a good deal.

#58 Mikerocosms   Deal Sniper CAGiversary!   722 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Mikerocosms

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

I thought I'd let everyone know that at best buy they may have a display up that says that Anastasia is $14.99 even though it rings up for $24.99. Its up towards the front of the store, and if you point it out they should adjust your price.

In that case I'll have to dig up that Anastasia coupon I printed a while back.

M